Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the OP needs a message that grinding Najarala for that LR sharpness +1 set is a massive waste of time.

Even green sharpness is king in High Rank as well, it's seriously not needed until you get to G Rank. I've not hit a single point in HR so far (and I'm doing the urgent to open C*9) that I've went "man I need a sliver of blue sharpness".

Just get attack up folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yeah, if you want an 'overpowered' set in LR, go:

- Yian Kut-Ku Gunner Cap
- Yian Kut-Ku Chest
- Velociprey Arms
- Velociprey Waist
- Yian Kut-Ku Legs

+ a single gem gives you Attack Up L and even take it to Attack Up XL later on.

Very easy to get the materials for the set, and will pay more obvious dividends in Low Rank.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

Body Carve S.Magala Plate 1 3%
Tail Carve S.Magala Plate 1 4%
Shiny Drops S.Magala Plate 1 2%
Break Horn S.Magala Plate 1 3%

:smithicide:

This is from several pages back (drat, this thread moves fast if you miss it for a day), but I just wanted to pop in to say that I got 2 plates from my first S.Magala fight. :smug:

(Instead, I'm having a way harder time getting the two tails I need for the upgrade :negative:)

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/greatsword/rogue-sedition

I've heard rumors this weapon self sharpens when you roll. Is this true, or is that just another stupid internet rumor?

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I've heard rumors this weapon self sharpens when you roll. Is this true, or is that just another stupid internet rumor?

True but it's not as valuable as it sounds, it takes lots of rolls to activate a tiny amount of recovery, and it really is tiny.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

Here's a GaijinHunter video showing it (and the other Seregios weapons) off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VNFCmg48Lw

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I hate you Khezu. I wish I could hate you to death. I don't know why I have so much trouble with your loving electric bullshit that always catches me out when I'm far enough away and then he leaps at you. GET THE gently caress DOWN FROM THE CEILING. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MOUNT YOU FROM THERE. :argh:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, all the Seregios weapons are like that, except for the bowguns which self-reload when you roll. :v:

As mentioned it's not too useful.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

- Yian Kut-Ku Gunner Cap
- Yian Kut-Ku Chest
- Velociprey Arms
- Velociprey Waist
- Yian Kut-Ku Legs

Very easy to get the materials for the set, and will pay more obvious dividends in Low Rank.

I wish I'd known about this earlier and grinded for it instead of two Velociprey sets. I'm definitely gonna make a pair of these now, but I know it's gonna take at least 16 or so Yian Kut-Kus because me and non-guaranteed break rewards do not get along. I fought my second one, the first after the expedition, and neither dropped an ear. I'm gonna need 8. Here we go.

EDIT: Do cleaned weapons/armors sell for good money? I have a lot of bad rusted armor that I will never use, but if they're not worth much I'd rather just sell them for a few zenny than waste the earth crystals and abrasive.

EDIT2: Holy crap, running towards a blue mining point in an expedition and having it disappear before you get there is very frustrating.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 18, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

EDIT2: Holy crap, running towards a blue mining point in an expedition and having it disappear before you get there is very frustrating.

Yeeeaaaahh...

Is there a reason why this happens? I've seen it happen in regular maps when I'm on gathering trips, too.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

How is charge blade for multiplayer? I'm liking the weapon so far, but it seems like the axe attacks would be annoying to other players.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Can't say I've had anyone complain while I've been using it. I don't know which attacks launch people, though - the middle A swing and the elemental discharge, maybe?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

mcpringles posted:

How is charge blade for multiplayer? I'm liking the weapon so far, but it seems like the axe attacks would be annoying to other players.

Seems fine to me. In multiplayer, you shouldn't have to be in axe mode often anyway; charge up your shield and phials and spend it all on an ultimate burst since your teammates make landing it easy peasy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

mcpringles posted:

I use it all the time in MP and it's great. Since switching between the modes is easy and quick I can change on the fly depending on whether I'm relatively alone and free to swing the axe or in a big melee and have to use the sword to not get in other people's way.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I am probably gonna plow through the rest of the extra advanced Low Rank urgent quests tonight and finally start high rank tomorrow. Part of me wants to make the Mohran 2.0 armor (gloaming?!) and use that but its definitely not meant for high rank at all despite real good skills. Plus, that fight is tedious as heck so no real loss.

I think Im just gonna farm an easy HR Kut Ku armor, and then go from there.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

How does expedition mode work? I just did my third and a Seltas spawned at the start, ran away to a Velocidrome, the Velocidrome ended up killing the Seltas, another spawned in the process of killing the Velocidrome in the same area, I killed them both then another Velocidrome spawned.

After all that was done I thought I could finally leave but two areas later there was another Velocidrome who ran away to only have a Kut-Ku spawn. I just wanted to gather some berries, not commit genocide.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rage McDougal posted:

This is from several pages back (drat, this thread moves fast if you miss it for a day), but I just wanted to pop in to say that I got 2 plates from my first S.Magala fight. :smug:

(Instead, I'm having a way harder time getting the two tails I need for the upgrade :negative:)

I got the plate yesterday, now I have a charge blade with natural white sharpness despite being only HR6 what up

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Cat Machine posted:

Can't say I've had anyone complain while I've been using it. I don't know which attacks launch people, though - the middle A swing and the elemental discharge, maybe?

The 2nd axe swing in the combo is a sweep up that sends people flying. Also your full burst discharge will send everyone flying where it lands and it goes through monsters so you can hit hunters on the other side when the monster is knocked down (don't do this).

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, I've noticed this happens in every type of quest. From what I have seen, when you enter an area sometimes it will spawn an extra item point and these will sometimes disappear either after a certain amount of time or after the enemies have been killed (not really sure which).

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

How does expedition mode work? I just did my third and a Seltas spawned at the start, ran away to a Velocidrome, the Velocidrome ended up killing the Seltas, another spawned in the process of killing the Velocidrome in the same area, I killed them both then another Velocidrome spawned.

After all that was done I thought I could finally leave but two areas later there was another Velocidrome who ran away to only have a Kut-Ku spawn. I just wanted to gather some berries, not commit genocide.

If you want berries, do a gathering quest.

If you want random mayhem, do expedition.

I would lose every load I've ever had if they made a full-on, more robust rogue-like mode for this.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ghost-Slug posted:

Yeah, I've noticed this happens in every type of quest. From what I have seen, when you enter an area sometimes it will spawn an extra item point and these will sometimes disappear either after a certain amount of time or after the enemies have been killed (not really sure which).

It's terribly lame. :( One disappeared on me mid-swing.

Also, is there a reason a cleaned weapon would have its element grayed out? My other elemental weapons have it in blue. Did they make Awaken elements visible, or is something else going on here?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also, is there a reason a cleaned weapon would have its element grayed out? My other elemental weapons have it in blue. Did they make Awaken elements visible, or is something else going on here?

They did

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

They did and it's a loving amazing change.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Capture Guru says it "gives knowledge of when large monsters can be captured." Where/how does that actually surface in-game? I've never seen anything like that when a monster gets weak.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Capture Guru says it "gives knowledge of when large monsters can be captured." Where/how does that actually surface in-game? I've never seen anything like that when a monster gets weak.

The paintballed monster icon flashes.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That simultaneously is the best and also a shame since I was hoping this clean gunlance would help me more effectively down Kut-Kus with its lightning damage. Five of the bastards, all broken, one ear. >:|

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Throw a paintball at it, their map icon will start to flash when they're ready.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You hit the monster with a paintball and when it's able to be trapped the dot will start flashing on the map.

I finished the quest to trade in more materials and was excited that Nargacuga armor was unlocked. I traded in some parts thinking it'd be the next set I make, including a Zinogre plate, and only realized after I looked up Pearl Hides that it needs High Rank parts despite having terrible defense. :downs:

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I'm starting to see increasing amounts of people online who clearly aren't going through the village quests and using the wycoon - lots of people around HR 4 and 5 not using paintballs and relying on herbs for recovery :cripes:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Teddles posted:

I'm starting to see increasing amounts of people online who clearly aren't going through the village quests and using the wycoon - lots of people around HR 4 and 5 not using paintballs and relying on herbs for recovery :cripes:

woof. I am usually the guy who takes point on paintballs because I have like an unlimited supply and I like to have radar. I can't imagine using anything less than a First Aid med to heal, though. That just sounds like a frustrating way to play.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Haven't had that problem, but I did have the opposite! Went online to fight a couple Kecha Wachas, and a guy came in whom I think had finished the story mode. HR 1, but he had some kind of glowing white armor that made him look like an angel, and a "Fatalis Overlord" I believe the weapon was called. He was just slaying poo poo left and right, the hunting went very well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Drythe posted:

I just wanted to gather some berries, not commit genocide.

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

If you want berries, do a gathering quest.

Also make a gathering set for those missions. Leather armor comes with Gathering +1 (more items from gathering nodes) and Spirit's Whim (pickaxes/bug nets break less often), both of which will help you squeeze more items per run.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Teddles posted:

Even a bunch of goons are skipping village for whatever reason. No clue why other than "hhuuurrrrrr mp" attitude.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

John Lee posted:

Haven't had that problem, but I did have the opposite! Went online to fight a couple Kecha Wachas, and a guy came in whom I think had finished the story mode. HR 1, but he had some kind of glowing white armor that made him look like an angel, and a "Fatalis Overlord" I believe the weapon was called. He was just slaying poo poo left and right, the hunting went very well.

You played with a hacker

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Ah thanks, worked like a charm! Didn't even need to capture the Rathian but what the heck :shobon:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

John Lee posted:

Okay I'm pretty sure you ran into a hacker. I don't think you can even fight Fatalis offline, and his armor sounds like White Fatalis gear, which is DLC that isn't even out yet.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Okay I'm pretty sure you ran into a hacker. I don't think you can even fight Fatalis offline, and his armor sounds like White Fatalis gear, which is DLC that isn't even out yet.

Crimson Fatalis is available offline, but Fatalis Overlord definitely requires White Fatalis like you mentioned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

Ugh. Well at least I'm having fun with the game now, and I know to leave the guild hall alone unless I want to gently caress around with co-op.

The guild hall is also usefull for early solo gathering quests, you don't get general gathering quests solo for a couple levels but you get them in the guild hall right off and its not like herbs or honey are going to be tougher online than solo :cheeky: But generally yeah, leave it alone until you go online.

You should definitely gently caress around with co-op though, its really fun. Don't be afraid! They made it easier than ever in 4U to just hop in a lobby, smash some dinosaurs, and then go home.

Golashes posted:

oh. I guess that was kind of spelled out in hindsight.

Just to make sure, I'm going to guess that you get better rewards doing the guild quests considering the monsters are tougher, even though you are splitting with three other people?

Actually you don't split "loot" in Monster Hunter. Everybody gets their own carves and loot drops and quest rewards, and I believe its completely independent of how many people showed up. The flipside is that you can't trade anything. (It would let you power-level people too easy)

I can see why you'd think those things based on other RPGs, but most of your traditional RPG knowledge should be left at the door with MH, its just its own thing.

mcpringles posted:

All weapons are fine in multiplayer. You just need to be aware of your allies and which moves can hit them, but that's true of every weapon in the game except maybe... SnS and DS? Charge blade is no worse than Switch Axe for knocking friends around.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 18, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Cat Machine posted:

- Yian Kut-Ku Gunner Cap
- Yian Kut-Ku Chest
- Velociprey Arms
- Velociprey Waist
- Yian Kut-Ku Legs

You're a god drat liar because I've discovered Kut-ku doesn't have ears. :mad:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

All my ears seem to come from the end rewards, which I didn't know could happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the OP needs a message that grinding Najarala for that LR sharpness +1 set is a massive waste of time.

Nah, it should be self-apparent that grinding for anything in LR is pretty much a massive waste of time. You do it because you want to, because you're helping your friends, because it looks cool and/or because its fun. You goons just gotta stop overreacting and :spergin: about everything.

Sharpness +1 is neither the best nor the worst. :shrug: Do what you want and kill monsters and have fun.

If you're really in such a rush to get to HR and be super-pro you can do it wearing nothing but Veloci set. Any stops along the way are because you are bad and need more armor, or because you're dicking around and think a certain set looks cool or has a stat you feel like getting.

Some of us hang around and co-op with friends in LR enough we have more LR materials than we know what to do with.

• Locked thread