Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

in some states, if you make under a certain amount a year, some of the benevolent tax preparer moguls will permit you to use a freebie webpage to do your taxes online. i think the max for oregon is like $46k or 48k or something like that.

haha, could you imagine making under $48K? crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Luigi Thirty posted:

look at these loving scrubs who live in a state

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

look at these loving scrubs who live in a state with an income tax

you live in florida.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Luigi Thirty posted:

look at these loving scrubs who live in a state with an income tax

instead i just have 8% sales tax on everything

(still better than cali which has both)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
how much in lost revenue is california actually missing out on because of prop 13

and would most of it go to the local level anyway?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the property tax part would go to counties if that part of the constitution remained, yeah. the 2/3 majority rule applies to state and local tax increases.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ayn rand hand job posted:

you live in florida.

lol

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
lol if you have significant income and you can't figure out how to put numbers in a box into a matching box. alternatively just hire an accountant if ~form 1040~ is too complicated for you. like unless you are your own business it's really fun and easy to do your own taxes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ the idea of trusting a federally run tax prep service.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

haha yeah government is so bad i wish bain capital managed poo poo instead. shut up you fat vermont computer man. government is good.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

fits my needs posted:

haha yeah government is so bad i wish bain capital managed poo poo instead. shut up you fat vermont computer man. government is good.

let me trust the government in the one adversarial relationship people have with the government barring committing a crime. taxes are black and white and there is certainly not a massive body of common law subject to interpretation.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

let me trust the government in the one adversarial relationship people have with the government barring committing a crime. taxes are black and white and there is certainly not a massive body of common law subject to interpretation.

hrm yes there should be no taxes. don't need no infrastructure and services. ron paul! who is john galt?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

smythe could do a good deed itt

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

fits my needs posted:

hrm yes there should be no taxes. don't need no infrastructure and services. ron paul! who is john galt?

yes let me pay taxes in excess of what i am legally required to because taxes are too hard.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

mmrrrmmmm yassssssse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

last week I dropped off passport paperwork to replace a stolen passport at the office (:canada:) at noon, and picked it up at 3pm including them checking with my guarantor and references. I wish I had an experience like that with pretty much any commercial operation.

having the gov't send out prefilled returns for people with only W2/T4 income would be easy and reliable. it doesn't happen because of lobbying, not because of difficulty or lack of value. I would still want to take my own life every April, but I have made my tax situation complicated through bad life choices, and most people would be fine.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

some news team thinks apple's skunkworks are making a driverless minivan cause they saw a weird van driving around

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/02/03/mystery-van-could-be-apples-entry-in-effort-to-develop-self-driving-vehicle/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that's pretty evidence-based for apple rumormongering

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the apple minivan

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fits my needs posted:

the overwhelming majority of your taxes go to supporting boomers and murdering brown people. it is morally and ethically correct to pay the least amount of tax possible

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

the overwhelming majority of your taxes go to supporting boomers and murdering brown people. it is morally and ethically correct to pay the least amount of tax possible

is that true for non-federal tax? I honestly don't know where CA's tax portions go, and I'm a little afraid to look.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Subjunctive posted:

is that true for non-federal tax? I honestly don't know where CA's tax portions go, and I'm a little afraid to look.

the states mainly just throw brown people in prison except for red state shitholes that still murder their citizens occasionally

and grudgingly build roads if they can find some spare change I guess

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Shaggar posted:

any tax system that allows mitt romney to pay less (as a percentage of their income) than their admin assistant is not ethical

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
nothing is ethical

embrace satan or be left behind

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Wulfolme posted:

nothing is ethical

embrace satan or be left behind

agreed :devil:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
UK taxes for non-1%'ers basically boil down to four brackets and most ppl don't even file a return

but local taxes are basically a flat tax and sales tax is 17.5% rofl

e: basically it's simple in the sense that "poors are lazy scum" is simple, it's still regressive as gently caress

e2: ok ok local tax isn't really a flat tax, it's determined by roughly how fancy the house you live in is. they did try making it a completely flat tax a little bit before my time but as i recall there was a bit of a to-do about it and it made some people a bit cross

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 18, 2015

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

all i know is i filed and turbo tax says i'm getting $2500 back. good enough for me. gas.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

triple sulk posted:

all i know is i filed and turbo tax says i'm getting $2500 back. good enough for me. gas.

you should fix your withholding

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

depends on the state for sure and CA is probably hella hosed but your local taxes definitely get spent on far more useful things like education. however, if you live somewhere like nyc you're also paying for black people to be murdered so you really cant win.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

it's ethical, sure. but it's completely pointless. you're a wage-earner who makes chump change. you have essentially 0 ability to engage in real tax dodges with "defensible positions" and "opinion letters" because the professionals who produce that work cost more than you make in a year.

(the last time someone tried to sell packaged "defensible positions" to the hoi polloi, you know, people making $10-50 million instead of hundreds of millions, they got their poo poo pushed in by the irs.)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lamont Cranston posted:

you should fix your withholding

interest rates are 0%
penalties for witholding too little are ugly e.g. quarterly estimated taxes

i wouldn't worry about it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

have you ever called the irs for tax advice
they are actually very helpful

i trust them more than liberty tax down the street, that's for sure

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
i once submitted a payment for a pretty substantial amount but marked it for the wrong tax year

the next year i got a letter from the irs saying "hey you owe $x,xxx". freaked out, looked through my records, found that i made the payment, called them up and they went "oh ok" and moved the payment to the correct tax year

the moral of the story is that the irs really isn't trying to gently caress you over and if you act in good faith they'll help you out

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's the opposite of the sentiment I've always heard my whole life. maybe it's cause all of ppl's talking points originate from ppl at the v top of society. or smthn idk

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rule 36 hire an accountant

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I traded stocks right before the bubble crash and forgot to declare my purchases so next year the IRS thought that i had sold $97,000 of stock and i got a bill for ~27k

just had to do the cost basis (that was a fun evening or two of paperwork) and it was all sorted. i think total damage was like $125

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
ya i forgot to put in my student loan interest one year and after i filed they wrote me back "hey dumbass you forgot to claim this here's your extra money"

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
rule 36 make ur yearly trip to switzerland

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jonny 290 posted:

just had to do the cost basis

oh, that data that the broker could trivially supply for you but Doesn't for Reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

oh, that data that the broker could trivially supply for you but Doesn't for Reasons

the last time i had to do it, my broker supplied that info

get a better broker?

• Locked thread