Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Just saying, dancing is really only fun if there are other people around (like attractive members of your preferred gender). Otherwise it's just exercise, which is good and all, but...

If it's a rhythm matching game then that's different anyway.

How are you like the most dense person in a thread of dense people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Saagonsa posted:

It's not a dancing game

It's called dancing all night.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Authorman posted:

It's called dancing all night.
you dont literally dance while playing

you hit buttons in time to the music

there's not a dance pad like in ddr

you hit the buttons on the vita, while sitting down

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

poo poo, persona 4 golden is not literally made of gold! mods???

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Just saying, dancing is really only fun if there are other people around (like attractive members of your preferred gender). Otherwise it's just exercise, which is good and all, but...

If it's a rhythm matching game then that's different anyway.

Dancing is always fun all the time, you rube.

Sounds like you can't imagine the step. Trust me, it's genius.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Best way to do the persona thing is to have your character with a mix of illegal and/or bizarre weapons and then use their personas to do single attacks then go back into their mind.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

you hit the buttons on the vita, while sitting down

I will dance whilst using my PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment system and no motherfucker will stop me

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Really Pants posted:

I will dance whilst using my PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment system and no motherfucker will stop me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MZN_8vwzVs

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Radish posted:

Best way to do the persona thing is to have your character with a mix of illegal and/or bizarre weapons and then use their personas to do single attacks then go back into their mind.

They should also be able to kick tanks into the horizon. This is non-negotiable, for every character.

Also Akihiko was dodging Aigis' machine guns in the Answer and trying to punch a robot to death, so Personas users should be legitimately beastly in their own right. Personally I disliked the P4 anime having the characters not fight themselves. Chie should be punting fools left and right drat it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
the opening to FES is still one of the best OPs to any game i've ever played

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Here's your daily SMT First-Timer report:

Bilwis is an rear end in a top hat.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Regarding the RPG Persona, I'd advise using the Unknown armies system, using the Avatar system with arcanas: the more in tune with your true self, the more powerful your persona is.

Grand Cross
Dec 10, 2014

Excels posted:

Persona 2 Innocent Sin's PSP opening is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D07mro7NOkA

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Also Akihiko was dodging Aigis' machine guns in the Answer and trying to punch a robot to death, so Personas users should be legitimately beastly in their own right. Personally I disliked the P4 anime having the characters not fight themselves. Chie should be punting fools left and right drat it.

The P3 movie seems to be closer to the actual games in that way, I think. They explicitly mention that Persona-users have enhanced physical capabilities (during the Dark Hour, but I'd probably say it's true any time you can summon your Persona, so if that's all the time like in P1/2, then it's all the time). I haven't seen the second P3 movie yet, but in the first one that only really comes up in the first fight scene, unfortunately. The characters still carry their weapons, but the Personas do almost all of the fighting anyway.

Then again, that's not too far off from actual gameplay. I mean, by the time I reached the halfway point of Persona 4, I was almost never using the Attack command. Why do that when I have cheap physical Persona attacks to use instead?

Grand Cross posted:

"Unbreakable Tie" is such a good song.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think the characters should have passive buffs to their character sheet when the Persona is unsummoned. Not every battle requires using your special spirit power to win.

I think when you actually do summon a Persona though, it shouldn't be able to move independently. It kind of.. hovers above the player character and moves with them. Almost like a puppet. The character does the motions and the Persona carries it out. I think it would work like Druid transformations that it does all sorts of stat modifiers and feats.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nephthys posted:

They should also be able to kick tanks into the horizon. This is non-negotiable, for every character.

Persona 2 inferred that you could basically give yourself super strength by using your persona without having it physically manifest so I'm down with tank kicking.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

include mechanical support for cute hooves

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Grand Cross posted:

This. Unbreakable Tie is a great song and that animation is just slick as hell.

I'm also really guilty to really liking Persona Q's intro. I really like Maze of Life okay...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I'm also really guilty to really liking Persona Q's intro. I really like Maze of Life okay...

That's because "Maze of Life" is an awesome song.

Harlock posted:

I think when you actually do summon a Persona though, it shouldn't be able to move independently. It kind of.. hovers above the player character and moves with them. Almost like a puppet. The character does the motions and the Persona carries it out. I think it would work like Druid transformations that it does all sorts of stat modifiers and feats.

At the moment, my plan is for your Persona to appear when you use it for a special move and immediately disappear once it's done. I kind of like the idea of the character needing to mirror its movements, though, or at the very least concentrate enough that the Persona can't just go off and do its own thing independently of the human character.

More design stuff:

Part of the difficulty I'm going to have going forward, I think, is coming up with skill lists. I considered going for a more freeform style (like, there wouldn't be individual spells like Agi, Maragi, Agidyne, etc., but instead the Persona can "conjure fire" and the better you are at that the more you can do with it), but I really want to include all the iconic SMT/Persona spells and physical skills. I want players to be able to Megidolaon a motherfucker, or tear poo poo up with Hassou Tobi, specifically and by name.

So my current plan is to have skill lists separated into domains and you pick skills from your Persona's available domains as you level. You can have up to eight at a time, but you can switch them up entirely every time you level. (There are two opportunities in the leveling process to gain another domain, but losing a domain and swapping it for another is probably going to be more complicated and optional.) But I also don't want skills to be boring. I don't want passive skills to take up those eight skill slots--I'll treat them like feats, probably, and might even include active-but-not-flashy skills like Power Charge in that category too. And I don't want Agilao to just be "Agi, but it hurts more." I think the baseline attacks should all be relatively basic, but after that everything should be distinct, even if it's not 100% true to the games. Maybe Maragi doesn't do much damage but inflicts burning on multiple targets. Maybe Agidyne is like a delayed blast fireball, while Bufudyne's main feature isn't its damage, but its ability to freeze a motherfucker solid. I want God Hand and Primal Force to be different from one another in ways that aren't just "one hits harder and costs more."

Also, what do you all think of not having HP-cost attacks? My current idea is to use SP as a general measure of the psychological stress of summoning a Persona, no matter what attack your Persona does. Magic and physical attacks both cost SP, because they both involve actively summoning your Persona. Every special attack costs at least 1 SP (I'm going to keep SP numbers relatively low), and you regain some percentage of your SP at the end of every encounter (sort of like how you regain encounter powers in 4e, only more flexible). Attrition can still set in if you spend more SP in an encounter than you get back at the end of it, but I also don't want to discourage players from using their cool special abilities regularly.

I'm also thinking of incorporating a version of Press Turns, called Press Tokens. Once per round, hitting an enemy's weak point generates a Press Token, which is shared between all players (and is only valid in the encounter in which it was generated). The amount of Press Tokens your team can hold at once is equal to the amount of player characters in the combat minus one (so a party of four can have up to three Press Tokens at the same time). A player can spend a Press Token to take an extra action at any time, even when it isn't their turn. Enemies can earn Press Tokens, too, and boss-level enemies get one per round for free.

Grand Cross
Dec 10, 2014

Moltrey posted:

Persona Q's intro is great. Very stylish. I should probably get around to playing that soon.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Excels posted:

I'm partial to the Persona 3 one honestly.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

wow miku is really good at that game if she can play without looking at the screen. I want to be that good at DAN.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im hoping the p5 opening will just be this but with p5 characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjTMNDZi-A

dont let me down atlus

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
American Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuDX7-mXqqA&feature=youtu.be

Early 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

American Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuDX7-mXqqA&feature=youtu.be

Early 2015

The ATLUS faithful says is coming on May 5th.

The voice acting sound better on this new trailer and it certainly piqued my interest.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

loving finally.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I mentioned this back when the listing first went up, but just as a reminder, Devil Survivor 2 costs $60 in Canada. :canada:

So I will definitely not be playing this until at least June.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

I mentioned this back when the listing first went up, but just as a reminder, Devil Survivor 2 costs $60 in Canada. :canada:

So I will definitely not be playing this until at least June.

yeah im gonna wait for a sale

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I live in Europe

So I will definitely not be playing this until at least June 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I live in Europe

So I will definitely not be playing this until at least June 2017

Try 2018. Digital only release too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Early 2015

Surpriiiise

Also did they get like every persona VA

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'll let you guys know how it is, when I hang around with my buddies the Dragons again, because if I know anything about Devil Survivor, Evil Flow will only be more OP

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Surpriiiise

They're cheap and prolific, why wouldn't they?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Surpriiiise

There's actually a lot of not Persona VAs in there, most notably what sounds like Ben Diskin as Daichi and Cassandra Lee Morris as Io. I heard Matthew Mercer and Wendee Lee though, but I barely count her since I think of her more as a DDS VA.

Also I ain't getting Break Record until it's on sale in like two years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Surpriiiise

there's only so many anime/video game dub vas

repeats are gonna happen

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All of SMT4 is voiced by like five different persons.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The voice acting sound better on this new trailer and it certainly piqued my interest.

Does physical still suck in this game like how it sucks near the end of DS1?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had a physical Jungo doing shittons of damage from physical attacks, it's really good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Volt Catfish posted:

There are way more good physical skills and a passive that makes them Almighty typed, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Two of the physical party members are two of the best party members in the game. In fact, they're so good that the MC is probably better off as a magic build just so you have more of an excuse to use them.