Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I have a phone screen coming up for a Linux sysadmin position (interesting opportunity came to me, we'll see what happens). I've been told to expect "simple" programming questions. Any thoughts on what that might entail? Something like "describe 3 different data structures" or "what is the difference between a class and an object?" Something more or less advanced than that? I'm not a full time dev but I write code in the course of my job, so I'm not overly worried about it. Mostly just curious about what you might get asked in a short phone screen. When I think of coding interview questions, I picture whiteboarding actual code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I have a phone screen coming up for a Linux sysadmin position (interesting opportunity came to me, we'll see what happens). I've been told to expect "simple" programming questions. Any thoughts on what that might entail? Something like "describe 3 different data structures" or "what is the difference between a class and an object?" Something more or less advanced than that? I'm not a full time dev but I write code in the course of my job, so I'm not overly worried about it. Mostly just curious about what you might get asked in a short phone screen. When I think of coding interview questions, I picture whiteboarding actual code.

Unfortunately "simple" could mean just about anything. That said most common sysadmin coding question is traditionally some derivative of "write a log rotate script".

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Gyshall posted:

You do actually need a device CAL for anything getting DHCP from a Windows server, or if you authenticate against a Windows domain.

Source: am an "expert" at this poo poo, have been doing it for as long as Microsoft has had the CAL model, both for SMB and enterprise.

What. Am I supposed to fill out paperwork to transfer licenses every time people get new toys for Christmas? The cloud first, mobile first world sucks :colbert:

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 18, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Docjowles posted:

My 'simple coding question' turned out to be 'write a bash script to do basic things'. Granted this was in-person.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MagnumOpus posted:

Unfortunately "simple" could mean just about anything. That said most common sysadmin coding question is traditionally some derivative of "write a log rotate script".
"You mean a logrotate.d configuration file, right?"

I actually got one which was created to see if I understood issues with globbing and the limitations of ls. It was something like, "If I had a directory with 20,000 files in it, and wanted to delete all the ones that began with the letter C, how would I do it?"

(I cheated using ls -1)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also at what point does it become cheaper to spin up a subsidiary company, license a bunch of stuff with SPLA and tenant that company inside your company as an IT service provider with the only customers being the original company and 2 or 3 totally bogus ones thrown in to make it look more legitimate?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
:yotj: ?

Had an interview today in which I've been told I'm going to be extended an offer, pending a check of my current references.

I'm looking at about a 25% pay bump [to be immediately offset by commuting costs] and access to a lot more projects than possible in my current place. A rather fortunate turn of events if it comes through as I'm looking at unemployment at the end of this month if it doesn't.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

:yotj: ?

Had an interview today in which I've been told I'm going to be extended an offer, pending a check of my current references.

I'm looking at about a 25% pay bump [to be immediately offset by commuting costs] and access to a lot more projects than possible in my current place. A rather fortunate turn of events if it comes through as I'm looking at unemployment at the end of this month if it doesn't.

Hell yeah! I'm glad you've got a good path forward.

You mentioned that you've been going through some tough stuff a few months ago, how's that all going? Are you okay?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hell yeah! I'm glad you've got a good path forward.

You mentioned that you've been going through some tough stuff a few months ago, how's that all going? Are you okay?

Eh, stupid family drama sorted out. Church neighbors now have a standing court order to not "block any driveway or accessway" as issued by the town. Acquired loving girlfriend. On track for certs so I'm pretty much on the upswing. Going to have a bit of commuting free time on my hands now that I'm going to be working in NYC and taking some form of public transit.

Only new thing I'm not particularly crazy about is that the listed shift hours for the service desk/engineering team I'm joining is 3-12am. On the other hand they're an IaaS provider and MSP so the quality of stuff I'll get to will be a lot better

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 18, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Some of you may remember me as the chump working 12 day weeks that put in 39.5 hours over three days. Over the weekend, I put in two job applications (I'm stuck in this town for a while longer, and 90% of the junior-level stuff is in Boulder or Denver), and already got a call about one of them. No interview yet, but hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow. And a local ISP is also looking for NOC techs. I applied to them before I got this job, and they called me shortly after I accepted the offer from my current employer, so I'm feeling optimistic about that one. I don't know that I would get hired, and it would be a slight pay cut, but I think it's worth a shot. NOC is the start of a networking career, right?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think so. I think it's more like I work for Company A for 6 months (but I show up at the offices of Company B) and my paychecks come from them. Then if Company B wants to "buy" me, they have to pay Company A the conversion fee.

That sort of arrangement is pretty common, especially in the federal space. It's not a big red flag in and of itself, and I know plenty of people (me included) that have converted over to long term positions that way.

Storage Engineer is a good start for a career path, but make sure you use it as an opportunity to broaden to your skill set as much as possible into virtualization. Storage sits in the middle of an infrastructure so it touches network, virtual hosts and guests, which gives a lot of opportunities to learn more about those technologies, which is good, because I think the traditional storage and backup admin is a role that is going to disappear in most shops as more storage, data protection, and DR functions get absorbed into the hypervisor.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

NippleFloss posted:

That sort of arrangement is pretty common, especially in the federal space. It's not a big red flag in and of itself, and I know plenty of people (me included) that have converted over to long term positions that way.

Storage Engineer is a good start for a career path, but make sure you use it as an opportunity to broaden to your skill set as much as possible into virtualization. Storage sits in the middle of an infrastructure so it touches network, virtual hosts and guests, which gives a lot of opportunities to learn more about those technologies, which is good, because I think the traditional storage and backup admin is a role that is going to disappear in most shops as more storage, data protection, and DR functions get absorbed into the hypervisor.

I've already got the VMware VCP, I'm hoping that some heavy duty specialization in storage will put me more on track to get the skills I'll need to be the kind of person you call when you want to virtualize your datacenter. From what I understand, a good chunk of the people at this company are former EMC employees. I think that's good company to keep.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

22 Eargesplitten posted:

NOC is the start of a networking career, right?

Without knowing the job description, nobody can say. Unfortunately, titles and duties aren't very closely linked

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

Without knowing the job description, nobody can say. Unfortunately, titles and duties aren't very closely linked

Yeah, these days it could be anything from managing configurations, investigating outages, doing prelim information gathering for Sr. technical personnel.

Or it could be "Monkey see light. Monkey push button."

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I never realized "100mbit up/down fiber" meant "not at the same time though". Are the ISPs screwing with the marketing on those? I thought cable modems can get most of their total rated bandwidth concurrently.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zero VGS posted:

I never realized "100mbit up/down fiber" meant "not at the same time though". Are the ISPs screwing with the marketing on those? I thought cable modems can get most of their total rated bandwidth concurrently.

Not every download source can or will server 100mbit. Plus TCP needs to ack, so you actually need some outgoing bandwidth to max it. And you may be getting congestion control.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So I am hiring for a in house desktop support person to join my team. Looking for someone for little to no experience that wants to do printer stuff, desktop suff, and other small things in a 100 person environment. The requirements of my job posting are next to nothing. Its for a salary is going to be around 40k for probably the chillest desktop support job I have ever hard of. The work load is going to be light, you get your own private work area with privacy, they get full benefits with great pto. All the things I would think would be loving awesome for someone's first or second job that wants to learn stuff.

After my job posted I have gotten 102 applicants in an evening. I thought that because I kept my job requirements so low I would get a ton of applicants just because of that. The kind of applicants I am getting is blowing my mind.

This 40k, entry level job is getting me resumes of applicants with 15 years of experience and more. More resumes are piling in by the minute and I can't find a single person who even close to fitting for the role.

I now remember why I didn't like hiring.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Drunk Orc posted:

When is an acceptable time frame from landing your first IT job to looking for something better? I think I've read 6-12 months in this thread a few times before, but I feel like I'm not really learning too much of anything useful and have a ton of down time.

I've been the sole "tech guy" for a school with 50+ staff members/desktops and about 150 machines in labs/carts and have no problem handling all problems that pop up and still have 4 or more hours out of the day to study and just dick around.

Should I take advantage of the downtime and tolerate the poor pay until I finish my bachelors in a year, or am I setting myself up to be an over educated help desk guy?

This is from a page or so back, but I started looking at ~6 months into my first IT job when I got a $1 raise after a stellar performance review. This was after accepting a ridiculously low (like, cashiers are making more per hour than me) wage to get in the door, so I went from "8k under the poverty line" to "6.2k under the poverty line". I found another one around the 9 month mark that I particularly liked and relocated to Chicago for a ~60% pay bump that turns into a ~75% pay bump after 6 months. None of the interviews I had were particularly concerned that I only spend 6-9 months in my first position, they were more interested in what I could do for them and where I was at technically.

This was from Jr Sysadmin (to be fair, it was a real rear end sysadmin job and I learned a ton) to Networking positions, though. In my experience the bar is set quite low for non-provider networking.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

So I am hiring for a in house desktop support person to join my team. Looking for someone for little to no experience that wants to do printer stuff, desktop suff, and other small things in a 100 person environment. The requirements of my job posting are next to nothing. Its for a salary is going to be around 40k for probably the chillest desktop support job I have ever hard of. The work load is going to be light, you get your own private work area with privacy, they get full benefits with great pto. All the things I would think would be loving awesome for someone's first or second job that wants to learn stuff.

After my job posted I have gotten 102 applicants in an evening. I thought that because I kept my job requirements so low I would get a ton of applicants just because of that. The kind of applicants I am getting is blowing my mind.

This 40k, entry level job is getting me resumes of applicants with 15 years of experience and more. More resumes are piling in by the minute and I can't find a single person who even close to fitting for the role.

What part of the world are you in? Is the IT market depressed there?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zero VGS posted:

I never realized "100mbit up/down fiber" meant "not at the same time though".
Says who?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Sickening posted:

This was us a couple months ago. Desktop positions, 3 year experience recommended, around 40k a year (hourly instead of salary though). All the people we interviewed had at least twice the experience (some over 10 years...) and the two we ended up with are varying degrees of terrible. Turns out a lifetime of desktop support doesn't mean they're any good at it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

hihifellow posted:

This was us a couple months ago. Desktop positions, 3 year experience recommended, around 40k a year (hourly instead of salary though). All the people we interviewed had at least twice the experience (some over 10 years...) and the two we ended up with are varying degrees of terrible. Turns out a lifetime of desktop support doesn't mean they're any good at it.

People with "1 year of freelance markup artist" and the like are getting far more consideration in my eyes. If you having been doing far more complicated and interesting work for more than 20 years, how do you expect me to believe you are going to want to do desktop support?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Some of you may remember me as the chump working 12 day weeks that put in 39.5 hours over three days. Over the weekend, I put in two job applications (I'm stuck in this town for a while longer, and 90% of the junior-level stuff is in Boulder or Denver), and already got a call about one of them. No interview yet, but hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow. And a local ISP is also looking for NOC techs. I applied to them before I got this job, and they called me shortly after I accepted the offer from my current employer, so I'm feeling optimistic about that one. I don't know that I would get hired, and it would be a slight pay cut, but I think it's worth a shot. NOC is the start of a networking career, right?

It can be. I've worked with two kinds of NOC techs. 1) Super lazy and complacent who are content to coast reading Reddit all day and doing the bare minimum. 2) Motivated to get the gently caress out of that boring grind into something challenging and interesting by studying for certs, asking questions, taking on additional project work etc. Guess which ones end up being offered sysadmin and network engineer promotions?

Also, what up fellow Colorado IT goon. I actually worked for 4 years as the sysadmin for a large WISP in the state. Would be pretty funny if it was the same place, but if I'm looking at the right job postings, it's not. I live in northern CO and agree that it would be 100x easier to find (good) work if I were in Denver or Boulder.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 18, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Our ISP, Lightower networks. They said our 100/100 "only means it is a 100mbit pipe, and if you're downloading 75mbit, you'll only have 25mbit left for uploading".

I thought that was nuts so I asked RCN how they do 100/100 and they said theirs works the same way.

evol262 posted:

Not every download source can or will server 100mbit. Plus TCP needs to ack, so you actually need some outgoing bandwidth to max it. And you may be getting congestion control.

Kind of weird but on this 100/100 I've gotten as high as 115mbit down, but never once in half a year got above 40mbit up. Going to ask the ISP about that but I want to have my story straight.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh, you just need to use S-Modem.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 18, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Also, what up fellow Colorado IT goon. I actually worked for 4 years as the sysadmin for a large WISP in the state. Would be pretty funny if it was the same place, but if I'm looking at the right job postings, it's not. I live in northern CO and agree that it would be 100x easier to find (good) work if I were in Denver or Boulder.

I think we actually live in the same town, unless you moved. I remember you talking about a particular beer bar with horrible ambience in the beer thread. I'm in the northern Colorado town that doesn't smell like manure and burning blood.

Would it be appropriate to post the job description here and see if it sounds like a legit position for experience getting into a more senior position down the line?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Heh, yeah in that case I think we are. I quit posting in the beer thread because I cut out alcohol for a while to lose weight (and I'm lucky enough to have an IT job that doesn't force me to drink heavily on a daily basis to cope anymore).

People have definitely posted job descriptions in here before, no problem there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zero VGS posted:

Our ISP, Lightower networks. They said our 100/100 "only means it is a 100mbit pipe, and if you're downloading 75mbit, you'll only have 25mbit left for uploading".

I thought that was nuts so I asked RCN how they do 100/100 and they said theirs works the same way.

Kind of weird but on this 100/100 I've gotten as high as 115mbit down, but never once in half a year got above 40mbit up. Going to ask the ISP about that but I want to have my story straight.

Anything I've had from a 'real' ISP such as AT&T (circuits like bonded T1's or fiber) is always full-speed in both directions. Even our fiber circuit from the local cable provider will run full out 25/25. Some janky local ISP or something like DSL or cable I can see them doing funny stuff with.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

I was about to post exactly that.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Years in industry often does not seem to strongly correlate with skillset in hiring for IT. There are a lot of people in IT who seem to spend 10+ years doing exactly what they learned to do in their first 6 months. Depending partly on personality/drive those guys may be ninjas at what they do or they may literally have browsed forums and ate cheetos for that whole time. But drive isn't the whole equation. A very large number of companies change very little in terms of infra/platform and just need someone there to keep the trains running. Hearing variations of "well I worked at [company] for 15 years until they replaced my whole job with [software]" is super common. This perspective is from someone working in Boston, which is pretty tech heavy. I'd be curious how different the situation is some place with less opportunity.

EDIT: In Boston the biggest offenders here are academic institutions, of which we have over 100, and are notorious for aging ERP ecosystems that really belong in museums.

MagnumOpus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 18, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

IIRC, he's in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, which is doing alright. I remember because his job posting was definitely something I'd have applied to about a year ago.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sickening posted:

This sounds like every job interview I've ever had, the most obvious was a Junior software testing role; final interview was down to me and a dude in his 50's who had been in programming before I was even a twinkle in my old man's eye.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Here's that job description:

- Real-time monitoring of FRII and customer systems, networks and services
- Manage network and email abuse issues
-Troubleshoot network problems with Vendor/Providers and customers in emergency situations
- Maintain and update data for network/system monitoring and response
- Provide customers with telephone and email technical support

I'm going to apply to it either way, because I need to get to something with a more sane work schedule. I just want to know where I should place it on my list.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a VM that is cloning itself and can't be powered off. If you read about the start of the machine revolution, know that I posted about it here first.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
calm down

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

go3 posted:

calm down

:iiam:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

go3 posted:

calm down

VM Clone spotted.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a VM that is cloning itself and can't be powered off. If you read about the start of the machine revolution, know that I posted about it here first.

Got your PM about access to our 3D printer API. Happy to do anything I can for a friend of the boss.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MagnumOpus posted:

Got your PM about access to our 3D printer API. Happy to do anything I can for a friend of the boss.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING

:boom:

Skynet is born.

E: https://gigaom.com/2015/02/17/watson-powered-toy-blows-past-kickstarter-goal-in-a-day/

It has begun.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 19, 2015