Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Luann is loving hitting it out of the park.

Only we're not playing baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Either that or a four-year-old throwing a tantrum because he got a cherry lollipop instead of grape. One or the other, I guess.
"He just comes over for a handy job, and I let him feel me under the shirt and over the bra."

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Part of me feels like there is no way in hell we are supposed to be sympathizing with Gunther. I can't believe anyone would write this and not intend for him to come off as a whiny asshat to everyone.

...then I remember this is Luann, a strip that thinks college is high school, rewards insurance fraud, and has gone out of its way to remove any character that ceases to be petulant.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love the ongoing fiascos with Spider-Man's weekday colourist. "Invisible flying platform? FILL IT WITH GOLD."

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Really Pants posted:

An incredible adventure he doesn't want to forget? Jesus Christ, he did some computer poo poo and rode in a van, then ran in terror because it was slightly uncomfortable for a second!

I am angry with this comic strip character.

Yeah, the story as Evanses recall it vs what I recall is different.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

Part of me feels like there is no way in hell we are supposed to be sympathizing with Gunther. I can't believe anyone would write this and not intend for him to come off as a whiny asshat to everyone.

...then I remember this is Luann, a strip that thinks college is high school, rewards insurance fraud, and has gone out of its way to remove any character that ceases to be petulant.

I start to feel the same way and then remember this conversation that Gunther had and realize that we really are supposed to think Gunther has valid concerns:

Mustache dude: What is wrong, Senor? Why do you get drunk with half a cervesa and leave in such a hurry?
Gunther: It's MY MOM! She's making eyes at somebody! And that somebody IS NOT ME!!!
Mustache dude: Dios mio! This is muy serioso! We must get you home muy rapido! Aye caramba, etc.

That's how I remember it, anyway. I guess it's possible the mustache dude was being sarcastic.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Tell me more of this wondrous land where you can put up a no junk mail sign and get anything in return other than a hearty laugh from your mail carrier. :allears:

One of the many things that blew my mind when I moved to the USA was that junk mail is actually sent through the post office and delivered by your mail carrier, addressed to you (or at least to someone who lived there years ago, or to "Occupant"). That's why the concept of putting up a no junk mail sign on your mailbox is so laughable to Americans and whatever other godforsaken hellholes do it that way.

A sign worked most of the time in the part of New Zealand where I grew up, because only legit mail with an address on it got delivered by the mail carrier. Since junk mail was unaddressed, it arrived via an army of small children and teenagers who were paid a weekly pittance to trudge around their neighborhood stuffing flyers and catalogs and supermarket deals into everybody's mailboxes, and could be easily encouraged to skip your house if there was a sign. I remember having that job myself as a little kid, for a while, and everybody would skip houses for all sorts of reasons: a sign, a homeowner who had lurked by the mailbox to tell you never to do it again, a mud puddle, a dog, that house with that one weird tree that looked scary in the evening... never mind "snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night," pretty much anything would do the job.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

I start to feel the same way and then remember this conversation that Gunther had and realize that we really are supposed to think Gunther has valid concerns:

Mustache dude: What is wrong, Senor? Why do you get drunk with half a cervesa and leave in such a hurry?
Gunther: It's MY MOM! She's making eyes at somebody! And that somebody IS NOT ME!!!
Mustache dude: Dios mio! This is muy serioso! We must get you home muy rapido! Aye caramba, etc.

That's how I remember it, anyway. I guess it's possible the mustache dude was being sarcastic.
Oh, I think he was serious about Gunther leaving.

Not like, going home, necessarily. Just being somewhere that isn't where he'll have to deal with Gunther.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yo! Spider!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe She Fell

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Owning Gunthie

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Ghostlight posted:

Basically none of your carriers use international standards or have unlocked networks.
Eh, you're kinda right about the locking, although the carriers now have to unlock your phone if you ask them. But for international standards we have plenty of phones that'll work just about anywhere.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Owning Gunthie

I would like to see Owning Gunthie become a regular series. :allears:

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Old jungle saying: To see the stripey panties is to know the true meaning of fear.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Esplanade posted:

Old jungle saying: To see the stripey panties is to know the true meaning of fear.

I hope you appreciate today's PC. :)

Phantom Classic

*smooch*

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Manuel Calavera posted:

That's a thing? Tell us more please. :stare:

I assume this was directed at me but basically I put up a sign that says no junk mail please and it's usually respected 99.9% of the time. I live out in the country but its in line with the finnish mindset to not disrespect such things. Might be different in cities, though the 7 years I lived in one the system worked pretty well, now and then some punk kid would dump some flyers anyway through the mail slot. But it worked so well we had to remove the sign a few weeks before we moved so we'd have some packing paper for our glassware and such.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Humanoid Female posted:

One of the many things that blew my mind when I moved to the USA was that junk mail is actually sent through the post office and delivered by your mail carrier, addressed to you (or at least to someone who lived there years ago, or to "Occupant"). That's why the concept of putting up a no junk mail sign on your mailbox is so laughable to Americans and whatever other godforsaken hellholes do it that way.

A sign worked most of the time in the part of New Zealand where I grew up, because only legit mail with an address on it got delivered by the mail carrier. Since junk mail was unaddressed, it arrived via an army of small children and teenagers who were paid a weekly pittance to trudge around their neighborhood stuffing flyers and catalogs and supermarket deals into everybody's mailboxes, and could be easily encouraged to skip your house if there was a sign. I remember having that job myself as a little kid, for a while, and everybody would skip houses for all sorts of reasons: a sign, a homeowner who had lurked by the mailbox to tell you never to do it again, a mud puddle, a dog, that house with that one weird tree that looked scary in the evening... never mind "snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night," pretty much anything would do the job.
In Australia it's actually a legal requirement to not deliver unaddressed mail to someone with one of those stickers. We can also put a sticker by the front door to prevent sales-people from bothering us. I use that one but not the junk mail one since I hardly ever get any anyway, but it's nice not having people come around trying to convince me to change my electricity supplier all the time.

We also have a "do not call" register which prevents telemarketers from contacting you, but the majority of calls I get on my landline are scammers who don't follow that rule anyway, so it's best to just not have a phone connected.

Beetle Bailey

Six Chix

Why do those cows have weird lumps sticking out of their backs?

Mark Trail

2015-02-11 - Things are looking grim!

2015-02-12 - But then Cherry finds a convenient bow and arrow that has never once been seen or mentioned before. It literally just showed up out of nowhere just as it was needed.

2015-02-13 - So everything worked out fine for everyone! Except the guy who died in the explosion earlier.

2015-02-16 - Just time for a quick recap and wrap-up.

2015-02-17 - And the mining project is cancelled, just like that.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

dirksteadfast posted:

Both Luann and Retail have taught me that you can write the shittiest, whiniest, criminal adult children characters and they will have fanbases of real people that cheer them on. There is a market for this garbage.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 18, 2015

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Beetle Bailey

The colourist fuckup has turned this into a metacartooning masterpiece.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

I don't think Ed did anything for Valentine's day other than espouse over flower>balloon elitism.

Bleeker

I'd say it won't come because it's President's Day but this strip is Canadian.

Virtual Boy 2.0?

On the Fastrack

Well, when's the last time your employees built and named a building after you?

Yeah, uh, Holbrook really went through some gymnastics for this one.

Safe Havens

Dude, it's a dorm. Naked men are not uncommon.

Oh lord. So once they clear up this mess with the cop they'll turn him back into a mouse and kick him out onto the streets/kill him themselves right?

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 18, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Owning Gunthie

Gunt looks suspiciously like his mommy. I think there might be some sort of fight club and/or Norman Bates thing happening here.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Julet Esqu posted:

Tell me more of this wondrous land where you can put up a no junk mail sign and get anything in return other than a hearty laugh from your mail carrier. :allears:

Luann

Either that or a four-year-old throwing a tantrum because he got a cherry lollipop instead of grape. One or the other, I guess.

God now I've realized who Gunther reminds me of. There was a twink gay guy I worked with in grad school who tried to pull off a goatee/beard at one point. It didn't make him look rugged like he wanted, but it did work for him since he wasn't a petulant chode.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Geez Bill, can't you keep it in your pants for five minutes and let Martine die in peace?

Pibgorn

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Looks like 9CL is only about two or three months from wrapping up this storyline.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Me! Sean loving Hastings!

Rex Morgan MD

The last two weeks have been leading up to this moment where Rex tells the old woman the car needs cleaning. Bask in it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

no Compu-Toon yet, so
Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Check out who forgot who was supposed to be talking after a single comic strip.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Check out who forgot who was supposed to be talking after a single comic strip.

The first strip is the Emperor questioning the Admiral. The second strip is the Admiral questioning a Private. None of this matters and I'm angry that I looked at this comic long enough to read it.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Jane probably looks like this...

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

Shoulda plugged in their block heaters the night before. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/18/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Say Nothing posted:

This is going to be an awkward dinner (Gunter is still being breast fed).

Bitty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyHm8oqkOB0

Might be :nws: somewhere ...

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

Poptropica

Heathcliff

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Kismet posted:

The first strip is the Emperor questioning the Admiral. The second strip is the Admiral questioning a Private. None of this matters and I'm angry that I looked at this comic long enough to read it.

I hate this comic so much.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy: For the first time this week, actions are speaking louder than words. Not that he isn't making a racket. :rimshot: (December 21, 1927)

Peanuts (February 21, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean gives us KIDZENGIZMOS!

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 27-28, 1926)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Geez Bill, can't you keep it in your pants for five minutes and let Martine die in peace?

Oh, ok. So I'm guessing this is why what's-her-name found her dad's grave in the middle of a random field in Europe when she knows for a fact that Bill came home to raise some Nazi's offspring. Martine is in that grave and he put his name on it because he died too, that day. He died too. :qq:

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The last two weeks have been leading up to this moment where Rex tells the old woman the car needs cleaning. Bask in it.

Gosh, I hope she comes on all hardcore mob widow like, "You trying to gently caress with me? Don't you dare ever gently caress with me, Morgan!" Or maybe have the mortuary guy hung out a window by his ankles. I suspect she'll be nice about it, though.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

For some reason I'd been assuming that Gunthie's mom was a widow, and thought maybe he was overreacting because "how dare someone try to replace my dad!" or some weird sentiment like that. I went to Wikipedia to find out how/when his dad died, where I learned: "He has a good deal of insecurity about his father deserting the family when Gunther was young, and worried that it was because of him".

Sooo... thinks he caused his mom's first husband to leave, but now is actively trying to keep her from finding another love.

Gunther, you're a douche.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Maybe She Fell

Thank You, FAU, for your service to this thread.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set make a joke only old people will get. (I got it :smith: )

Working Daze is apparently going to wring this out for a few days.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Tiggum posted:

2015-02-17 - And the mining project is cancelled, just like that.

This was supposed to be near the Great Dismal Swamp? What were they planning to "mine" in a substrate that's mostly sand and clay, water moccasins? Also I don't think it has alligators.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Edminster posted:

Thank You, FAU, for your service to this thread.
It's the thing I do. Spider-Man!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is apparently going to wring this out for a few days.

Oh god, he said "iWAS" :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man, I think I might hate Working Daze and Luann more than any other comic here, these days. 9 Chickweed Lane has been going slower than loving Apartment 3-G since this nazi story started eight years ago or whenever so my eyes just glaze over it, and I'm desensitized to Mike Du Jour and Intelligent Life at this point. Working Days is like On The Fastrack but vaguely misogynist and awful instead of just milquetoast and obviously written by an old man trying to be hip.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's the thing I do. Spider-Man!

It might be!

• Locked thread