Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Internet Webguy posted:

The best proof yet that college degrees are worthless and lead you nowhere.

Tinsley lives his life to prove degrees and affirmative action are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm unsure of why Bolling went with the Watchmen theme to comment on the To Kill a Mockingbird sequel thing. Kind of a weird choice.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ah yes the age old debate of 'what came first' the chicken or the homicidal extremist'?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

Hey just a reminder that Tinsley has a degree in Political Science and is a giant loving hypocrite okay bye

Ah ha ha get hosed Tinsely you boozy hack

...I laughed, a little.

But yeah poverty and ignorance are probably the roots of extremist weirdos with enormous amounts of power sooooo

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

It's an unironic "Lucky Ducky". He legitimately made an comic about how people in a lower economic class have it easier than "real people".

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Regalingualius posted:

Y'know, I'm kind of wishing we had a Tinsely-style gimmick poster (quoting and responding to posts 2-3 weeks after they were made).

It's Tinsley, not Tinsely.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Not My Leg posted:

They both wrap around a tree.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Never try to create jobs or a stable civil society.

Just bomb everyone all the time and make sure you keep foreign civilians poor, desperate, and angry at all times, that'll ensure a lasting peace.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Bicyclops posted:

I'm unsure of why Bolling went with the Watchmen theme to comment on the To Kill a Mockingbird sequel thing. Kind of a weird choice.

Because of the title probably.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The extended forecast concerns the days ahead and has nothing to do with present weather, you twit.

I love that for the past week or so the thread usuals have started showing concern for coptic christians when you loving know they had no idea such a thing existed before now.

Bicyclops posted:

Try being someone who never read the book :shrug:
I dunno what the gently caress he was trying to say.

Not My Leg posted:

I see what you did there.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bicyclops posted:

Because the title of the book is Go Set a Watchman and Bolling was having a rough morning.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Bicyclops posted:

I do like the image of Boo Radley as Rorschach, though it's missing a nine-story naked blue Gregory Peck zapping southern racism with laser vision.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

American pigs gain strength by feasting on the entrails of their enemies. A North Korean Propaganda cartoon.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

These two next to each other is hilarious.
I fixed the order for you, he actually came to realize he was being a shithead and tried to fix it

Not My Leg posted:

:hfive: I appreciated the joke

Bicyclops posted:

It's not hard, lawyers nominally hired to watch over and protect Lee is turning around and loving her over by publishing, against her decades long stance on publishing anything, what is generally thought to be a first draft of Mockingbird as a "sequel" at a time when Lee herself can't possibly object for health reasons. So who's watching the person who's supposed to be watching over Lee (especially considering it's happened before)?
The whole situation is super scummy.

Bottom right: "Free speech"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Not My Leg posted:

It begins :unsmigghh:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rorus Raz posted:

I'll give Payne some credit by being one of the few right-wingers to be happy that Obama wants war.
Same here. It's almost refreshing to see a Republican acknowledging that Obama is bombing the crap out ISIL, even if he threw in the standard dumbass talking points with it.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hmmm, no Muslims in the pile o' dead bodies, what a surprise.
The Kurds are Muslim (mostly).:colbert:

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I love that for the past week or so the thread usuals have started showing concern for coptic christians when you loving know they had no idea such a thing existed before now.
Next you'll tell me there's a Christian Militia based in Iraqi Kurdistan called Dwekh Nawsha.:v:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Because the title of the book is Go Set a Watchman and Bolling was having a rough morning.

Keep in mind his thesis that Lee's lawyer is hurting Lee's interests when she's supposed to be protecting them. It makes less sense as a direct Watchmen allegory and more sense as a reference to a thing named after a reference to Juvenal. :shrug:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Duke Igthorn posted:

I fixed the order for you, he actually came to realize he was being a shithead and tried to fix it

Fair enough but it would be cool if a caricature of himself was in that line. (it maybe I have no idea was he looked like).

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Ague Proof posted:

They both wrap around a tree.

:pusheen:

Crain posted:

It's an unironic "Lucky Ducky". He legitimately made an comic about how people in a lower economic class have it easier than "real people".

Next up will be a sob strip about plumbers and their GODDAMN UNIONS :argh: featuring exposed buttcracks and minimal labor by either the author or subject.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Eh, I laughed.

It's dumb but that's actually pretty funny.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Iron Rose posted:

Eh, I laughed.

It's dumb but that's actually pretty funny.
Yeah, I didn't mind it at all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

"Mississippi ends slavery tax write-off" needs to get more love.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

FishBulb posted:

Because of the title probably.

and he's a comic nerd.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People should do something useful with their lives and not get lovely university degrees.

Tinsley hates the education system.
I like how my generation is called un-ambitious by the people who want us to work factory and plumbing jobs because as you know that sure is more ambitious than wanting to be a scientist.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

McDonald's is for losers that don't even deserve a minimum wage.

What are you too good to work at McDonalds??

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
EDIT: ^ what he said

achillesforever6 posted:

I like how my generation is called un-ambitious by the people who want us to work factory and plumbing jobs because as you know that sure is more ambitious than wanting to be a scientist.

Also, during my life I heard things like "If you don't get a college education, you'll be flipping burgers the rest of your life", and once the economy shat the bed in 2008 or so they were the same people saying "Oh, is flipping burgers beneath you".

It's easier than people coming to the realization that our economy has been off kilter since the 80's.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
It's always nice to be reminded that things were hosed long before I had any chance to say anything about it.

And by nice, I mean the opposite of that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Ah okay, I had forgotten about the title for the new book. Not Bolling's best, but it's good for a quick laugh.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
^That too.

Bicyclops posted:

There was a huge fuss a while back about prequels to Watchmen. Guessing Bolling thinks of ghis thing the same way.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Duke Igthorn posted:

And he even wrote "Horton Hears a Who" and dedicated it to a Japanese friend he met while traveling in Japan after the war. This is why his estate hates people trying to co-opt the book for Pro-Life purposes.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Fulchrum posted:

I don't recall ever hearing about a significant group of protestors against the behaviour of Japan that entire war, whereas there were numerous German groups who actively resisted the Nazis the entire time, many in high positions.

I've never heard of any Japanese equivalent of the 20th of July Plot.

It seems entirely possible to me that the US Government putting the entire Japanese American population into concentration camps might have put a damper on any anti-war sentiment in the homeland. Furthermore, a cursory google search reveals that the majority of anti-war dissidence in Japan in the WW2 era came from the Japanese Communist Party, so it is not entirely surprising that you have never heard much about them.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dazzling Addar posted:

It seems entirely possible to me that the US Government putting the entire Japanese American population into concentration camps might have put a damper on any anti-war sentiment in the homeland. Furthermore, a cursory google search reveals that the majority of anti-war dissidence in Japan in the WW2 era came from the Japanese Communist Party, so it is not entirely surprising that you have never heard much about them.

Because as we all know from history, Japan never did a single objectionable thing in that entire war before mid 1942. Or does the US doing something bad somehow justify the Rape of Nanking retroactively?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 18, 2015

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

PassTheRemote posted:

Also, during my life I heard things like "If you don't get a college education, you'll be flipping burgers the rest of your life", and once the economy shat the bed in 2008 or so they were the same people saying "Oh, is flipping burgers beneath you".
I was out of work for 6+ months around 2012, and I couldn't even get the fast food places to call me back. Probably because I was in my 30s and had been making more at my previous jobs, so they figured I'd bail as soon as something better came along. They would have been absolutely right, but still I couldn't even get an interview, much less a job.

And of course my dad thought that if I just drove around wearing nice clothes with a stack of resumes, and handed them out to every business around, I'd get a job in no time. I guess someone who hasn't had to look for work in 40+ years wouldn't really know how that kind of thing works now.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
There was definitely tons of resistance leading up to Japan's warpath through the Pacific but it was so brutally repressed that by the time America got involved, it was all but non-existent.

And it's not at all surprising that Japanese were depicted differently in propaganda from Germans, considering the vast majority of white people in the US have some sort of German ancestry.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Because as we all know from history, Japan never did a single objectionable thing in that entire war before mid 1942. Or does the US doing something bad somehow justify the Rape of Nanking retroactively?

Are you stupid deliberately or does it come naturally to you?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anti-Japanese sentiment was a thing at the time (and yes the immigration policy disputes going back to ~1900 did cause friction if not nearly enough to silence dissent on its own), while anti-German sentiment for reasons other than the war had been resolved over a century before. So it wasn't playing off existing animus.

Also Japan in that period was a train wreck waiting to happen. There's stuff like assassinations all over the place which helps create a self-selecting clique taking the country to war.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TVs Ian posted:

I was out of work for 6+ months around 2012, and I couldn't even get the fast food places to call me back. Probably because I was in my 30s and had been making more at my previous jobs, so they figured I'd bail as soon as something better came along. They would have been absolutely right, but still I couldn't even get an interview, much less a job.

And of course my dad thought that if I just drove around wearing nice clothes with a stack of resumes, and handed them out to every business around, I'd get a job in no time. I guess someone who hasn't had to look for work in 40+ years wouldn't really know how that kind of thing works now.

Holy gently caress this times a million. "Just walk around with your resume and see what's out there." fuuuuuuuuuuck you person who hasn't had to look for a job in decades. I got turned down for a minimum wage job at god drat Home Depot two weeks before finding a job in my technical field that pays more than double and has me handling millions of dollars in equipment while sitting on my rear end in the air conditioning reading the SA forum all day instead of walking all day on those concrete floors

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

People have been conditioned to never, ever, EVER blame employers for anything in the economy. So they're mystified as to why suddenly you need a specific degree and 2 years minimum of experience for any entry-level position, why job training within companies has evaporated, why jobs anyone could do now need resumes and cover letters, and why wages are stagnant. Everything is blamed on the "economy," because certainly companies themselves cannot simply have gotten worse about employment over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bad Reporter should be really lovely since it's barely a cartoon in the strict sense of anything, but somehow the stupid headlines work.

• Locked thread