Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

GreenNight posted:

They'd have to kill him (and all his brothers) off from Agents of Shield.

A recurring cameo role is not necessarily one that he'd have to quit. His Agents scenes could be wrapped up in the various 2 week holiday vacations the show normally takes.

Joel could probably even keep doing Community if Yahoo works and they keep it alive since their shooting for 10-13 episode seasons only takes around a month. The biggest question is if they'd move the studio to LA or leave it in NYC.

I'd really love to see them go with 0 downtime the rest of the year and just have various guest hosts come in and "audition" for the main spot. Make choosing the next Daily Show host actual Highlander or something.

Generic American posted:

Though I'm loathe to suggest it, since I really want the Daily Show to avoid sticking too close to the formula... If they were really keen on aping Jon's "White Guy Straight-Man reads the news to sillier people" schtick untouched, I personally think John Fugelsang would be a good choice. At least, I remember liking him whenever he'd pop up on Talking Liberally; he's got that nice balance between political motivation and plain comedic charm. Maybe it's just the hair, but he reminds me of Stewart in a lot of ways that I can't really pin down. Granted, though, that's a really dark horse in the race. His name won't even be on the radar for it unless he kills ten other potential hosts and steals their power Highlander-style.

I still want Jessica Williams to get it, though. :pray:

I don't think they have to stick to the identical formula: any new guy is going to bring their own flair and style. John Oliver took 3-4 episodes before he really found his comedic voice, for example, and it was different than Stewart's. But there are some bases they need to cover: 1) relevant to current events, 2) politically focused, 3) funny. If they hit those 3 things, the show will carry on without Stewart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Oliver also got gifted the Carlos Danger story, which was a homerun for a satire show if there ever was one. Not to say John isn't awesome, mind you.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
~DANGER!~

~DANGER!~

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Apoplexy posted:

~DANGER!~

~DANGER!~

*awkward dancing that looks like a seizure*

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That was always the best part about it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So it looks like Jessica voluntarily removed herself from the list of possible TDS hosts. :(

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Echo Chamber posted:

So it looks like Jessica voluntarily removed herself from the list of possible TDS hosts. :(

Well, we can still hope for Aasif Mandvi.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jessica Williams posted:

Haha but I'm not like, dead.This is the beginning of my career. I'm gonna troll that rear end for yrs.

I'm okay with this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wow, IGN proves they're terrible by putting out a '7 People Who Could Replace Jon Stewart' and they include Ricky Gervais. The other outliers are Amy Poehler, Joel McHale, and Patton Oswalt.
I'd watch the hell out of a Daily Show hosted by Amy Poehler or Joel McHale. Tina Fey's a name that's been thrown around a lot too, and I would also watch if she hosted. Patton Oswalt ain't what he used to be- he should just stick with the roles on comic book stuff. I would not watch a Daily Show hosted by Ricky Gervais or John "Jesus Was A Democrat" Fugelsang.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

~DANGER!~

~DANGER!~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjiSm4ZPVKM

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

~DANGER!~

~DANGER!~

~PELIGRO~
~PELIGRO~

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I want to love the Danger stuff, but Mystikal is a horrible person and can't support it entirely.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd rather they channel as much or more from the Colbert Report than the "Fox News Refutations Of The Day" formula. Oliver's show not only does news events funnier most of the time, but if you're looking for is political advocacy he's been actually doing that. Between writer burnout and host fatigue and having to do many more hours of content, TDS seems to have gone from it's 2003-2010 peak to "Today's Mitch McConnell quotes, in Turtle Voice."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Stewart's "thing" has always been to criticize the media more than the politicians. His most acidic words have always been lodged at CNN or Fox News or more traditional outlets - and although he's given more time to CNN the media has always been his primary target.

And to be honest, in an ideal world I hope the next host kinda veers away from that topic. I'm much more interested in exposing the entire political machine where the media is just one enabler, and not the root cause of the disease.

But mainly I'm just worried that someone will look at TDS and turn it back into a generic "satire" riff. You can and probably should change a lot of things up, but the daily show's one non-negotiable element is the focus on politics and government. Take that away and you're left with nothing.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I'm throwing my inconsequential vote behind Ben Mankiewicz of The Young Turks (he's not the berzerker oaf that Cenk, the main host, is). While it would do nothing for diversity in late night programming, it would probably be the most seamless transition imaginable, because Mankiewicz and Stewart have eerily similar personalities, able to go back and forth between engaging, intimate storytelling and blow-your-hair-back righteous anger. And obviously he's already as educated about, and fluent in, politics as you can get.

But then part of me wants him to stay at TYT because I love that show as is.

Fugelsang, however, is the right wing's caricature of a smug liberal shithead come to life. He causes me physical pain when he's on tv. Please god not him. But mention of him reminds me of Stephanie Miller, who is another possibility. Her current show is abysmal but she's capable of being great.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Wait did Wilmore's show go into a 2 week break just a few weeks after starting? :wtf:

anyways John Oliver is on Jimmy Fallon tonight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

spronk posted:

Wait did Wilmore's show go into a 2 week break just a few weeks after starting? :wtf:

It's not a good sign. It means CC knows that if TDS isn't new, most people aren't going to bother sticking around or tuning in if TNS is new.

One can hope they take the two weeks and look really closely at what they've done and what isn't working.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not a good sign. It means CC knows that if TDS isn't new, most people aren't going to bother sticking around or tuning in if TNS is new.

One can hope they take the two weeks and look really closely at what they've done and what isn't working.

TDS and Colbert always went off and came back at the same time until Colbert left. I'm pretty sure Comedy Central just considers it a 1 hour block that happens to have two hosts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also @midnight goes off the same time. All three shows have the same schedule, it's been like this for years. poo poo aint new.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
I've only watched the first Wilmore episode, is the rest just as bad?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

CSM posted:

It's been hit or miss, honestly. A lot depends on the panel and the topic. The vaccine episode was a trainwreck.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bad is subjective. I've been enjoying the show.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Let's use this time to post clips of our favorite bits:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/90ejkv/sarah-palin-s-bus-tour---america-s-bus

"I loving love the bus"

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 17, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Last Week Tonight was just renewed through 2017, so that should put to bed anyone hoping that John Oliver would jump ship back to CC (not that he would or should.)

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
I really disliked the panel segment which was just this circle jerk on race issues. Which I don't disagree with but it was still a circle jerk.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Bad is subjective. I've been enjoying the show.

Yeah, me too. It's not even close to being a good replacement for Colbert but I do like watching it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

bull3964 posted:

Last Week Tonight was just renewed through 2017, so that should put to bed anyone hoping that John Oliver would jump ship back to CC (not that he would or should.)

This is good news all around.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I wish Oliver would have longer seasons, but that's me being selfish.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

GreenNight posted:

I wish Oliver would have longer seasons, but that's me being selfish.

This is the HBO Way. At least he doesn't take 2 years between seasons like Sopranos.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah but it's a talk show, not a fictional drama with a cast of characters.

I was wrong anyways. His first season was 24 episodes, and his second (and renewal seasons) are 35 episodes each.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 17, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CSM posted:

Nothing changes about the format, no. Some episodes were ok, but the fundamental problems the show has (keep it 100, southpark style "truth is in the middle" and Larry giving airtime to his "comedian" buddies panel casting, milquetoast toothless hosting) have thus far not been addressed at all. Based on the appearance of an EP on the last episode, it doesn't look like they realize that things aren't working.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, I know! Jimmy Dore, another associate of TYT's. He's a great political comedian, and he's not offensively liberal in the way Fugelsang is. He's more of a 'I'm dumb and all of this seems stupid even TO ME!' guy. Check out his stand-up specials, he's pretty great.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Daily Show With Jessica Williams ain't happening, folks.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
We've known that for a day or two. It still sucks. Of all the current cast, she's the one who can best play both straight man and comic foil.

I am concerned what Jessica would do when TDS changes regimes. I doubt she'll want to stick around too long under the next host and wait for the the next host to retire. Her career's just too promising.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What holiday are we on now?

Sair
May 11, 2007

President's Week.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Echo Chamber posted:

We've known that for a day or two. It still sucks. Of all the current cast, she's the one who can best play both straight man and comic foil.

I am concerned what Jessica would do when TDS changes regimes. I doubt she'll want to stick around too long under the next host and wait for the the next host to retire. Her career's just too promising.

From what it sounds like, even the support for her to take over TDS seat has led to movie and show opportunities. She'll likely be John's last big find.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

My suggestion to fix TNS, if they really need to "show both sides", is to narrow it down to just Larry, and a debater from each side.

Start off by having Larry clearly state his opinion/side on the matter and his reasons why. Then bring the debaters in clear soundproof cages that Larry can mute at will.

Each debater, throughout the entire episode, would have a sign clearly stating what percentage of American opinion they represent (as a constant reminder which one's the crackpot). Each debater explains their case one on one with Larry, while their opposition is muted and cannot interrupt (but can visibly rage). Then, after each has a moment with Larry, they finally debate each other.

At the end, Larry carries down his judgment and has the final authoritative word on the matter. In addition, on the side would be a panel of fact checkers who fact check every statement in real time, and inform Larry when bullshit is thrown out (they can make a big comedic deal about this).

Thank you for reading my TNS fanfiction (sorry for interrupting your TDS fanfiction).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

My suggestion to fix TNS, if they really need to "show both sides", is to narrow it down to just Larry, and a debater from each side.

Start off by having Larry clearly state his opinion/side on the matter and his reasons why. Then bring the debaters in clear soundproof cages that Larry can mute at will.

Each debater, throughout the entire episode, would have a sign clearly stating what percentage of American opinion they represent (as a constant reminder which one's the crackpot). Each debater explains their case one on one with Larry, while their opposition is muted and cannot interrupt (but can visibly rage). Then, after each has a moment with Larry, they finally debate each other.

At the end, Larry carries down his judgment and has the final authoritative word on the matter. In addition, on the side would be a panel of fact checkers who fact check every statement in real time, and inform Larry when bullshit is thrown out (they can make a big comedic deal about this).

Thank you for reading my TNS fanfiction (sorry for interrupting your TDS fanfiction).
Is Larry even a great arbiter for these issues, though? I know someone said earlier in the thread that he was throwing out some regressive opinions during another episode. How informed is Larry anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Each debater, throughout the entire episode, would have a sign clearly stating what percentage of American opinion they represent (as a constant reminder which one's the crackpot).

There are far too many ignorant or misinformed Americans for this to work.

• Locked thread