Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Yes. If it gets above 70 I start to melt. Snow and grey skies forever please.

You'd probably love the Pacific Northwest. I lived in Bellingham, WA for 7 years, and it's incredibly mild all year long. Doesn't get to freezing very often, and days above 70 are rare enough that natives refer to 70 as 'really hot'.

Also, it doesn't rain anywhere near as often as you may think in the summer. (In the winter, it's almost daily, but that still beats the hell out of snow.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

quote:

Summary: Why SAP running so slow again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Body: Think that says it all!

I am wanting to get Oustanding Order list so I can tick Fixed & firm box & check out new parts in 2 seperate reports but I've now been out for a cigarette got myself a coffee & still no output & typ[e this WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Copy and paste verbatim. I think he's slightly irritated by a delay in doing... something? in SAP :)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sirotan posted:

Get a snowblower, shoveling is for chumps.

Can't. I live in lovely quadplex apartments that were built for military housing back in WW2 and never torn down. Admittedly, I don't have a whole driveway to shovel, but I don't have a garage and I'm not allowed to have anything larger than a weber grill outside ever. Not that I'd want to, since someone would just steal it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Taliesyn posted:

You'd probably love the Pacific Northwest. I lived in Bellingham, WA for 7 years, and it's incredibly mild all year long. Doesn't get to freezing very often, and days above 70 are rare enough that natives refer to 70 as 'really hot'.

Also, it doesn't rain anywhere near as often as you may think in the summer. (In the winter, it's almost daily, but that still beats the hell out of snow.)

Snow is great if it stays on the ground and you live up north - the snow reflects light a lot better than dark ground so it ends up being less depressing when the days are shorter. I just moved from Stockholm where winter is grey gloomy, rain/slush and all-around depressing.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

neogeo0823 posted:

Can't. I live in lovely quadplex apartments that were built for military housing back in WW2 and never torn down. Admittedly, I don't have a whole driveway to shovel, but I don't have a garage and I'm not allowed to have anything larger than a weber grill outside ever. Not that I'd want to, since someone would just steal it.

As an option to research, search for electric shovels or power shovels. Much worse than a proper snowblower, but better than a shovel. Snowblower and plow guys will laugh at you, but shovel guys will think you are a wizard. In a blizzard, it's a bit like taking a Subaru to a monster truck rally, but at least it's not a bicycle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CharlieWhiskey posted:

As an option to research, search for electric shovels or power shovels. Much worse than a proper snowblower, but better than a shovel. Snowblower and plow guys will laugh at you, but shovel guys will think you are a wizard. In a blizzard, it's a bit like taking a Subaru to a monster truck rally, but at least it's not a bicycle.

I just looked these up, and am I correct in thinking they're just little snowblowers without wheels?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I just looked these up, and am I correct in thinking they're just little snowblowers without wheels?

Well, my neighbor had one of these.

I managed to shovel my entire driveway (about 4ft snow drifts in some areas) and a small portion of the sidewalk and they hadn't even gotten halfway through.

Like it works but be prepared to be outside for long periods of time in deep snow.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Aw, it's so cute. :kimchi:

My mom has/had a snow thrower. If you google "Toro Snow Thrower" you'll get the idea. It's like a step between a snow blower and those tiny little shovels. I could probably definitely shovel faster with my big-rear end snow shovel than with that thing, but it's a neat concept. When I say I have no room though, I mean it. I have to keep my shovel on our shoe mat. These apartments were designed by a loving retard, and I could honestly go on for days about how bad they are, but suffice to say I'm trying like hell to get out of it.

The biggest pain in the rear end about shoveling right now is that it's so cold that the snow solidifies and turns to huge chunks of ice. To compare, it's like trying to shovel a pile of gravel that's got bricks mixed in to it. Combine that with the fact that our "off street parking" is just a row of parking spots in front of the apartments, and the amount of snow we've received this year, and this means we've got piles up over our heads, and our usable parking spots are slowly getting narrower and narrower.

I can't wait to get my own house. I'll build a melting box and dump all the snow into there and let it drain into the sewer.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Sirotan posted:

Holland is a great place to live and work because it's right near Grand Rapids, my hometown and an awesome city full of delicious beer.

Winter is fun and snow rules, quit complaining and send me all your snow, we don't get enough here for my liking. :colbert:

I live just west of Grand Rapids and work downtown. Grand Rapids is pretty awesome, but going west gets reaaaallll bad in the winter. I do not envy my coworker whose territory includes Holland, days like today would require much more car to get around than I have. And she drives around and fixes printers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Holland is a great place to live and work because it's right near Grand Rapids, my hometown and an awesome city full of delicious beer.

Winter is fun and snow rules, quit complaining and send me all your snow, we don't get enough here for my liking. :colbert:

I live in actual Holland please send us some snow.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Aw, it's so cute. :kimchi:

My mom has/had a snow thrower. If you google "Toro Snow Thrower" you'll get the idea. It's like a step between a snow blower and those tiny little shovels. I could probably definitely shovel faster with my big-rear end snow shovel than with that thing, but it's a neat concept. When I say I have no room though, I mean it. I have to keep my shovel on our shoe mat. These apartments were designed by a loving retard, and I could honestly go on for days about how bad they are, but suffice to say I'm trying like hell to get out of it.

The biggest pain in the rear end about shoveling right now is that it's so cold that the snow solidifies and turns to huge chunks of ice. To compare, it's like trying to shovel a pile of gravel that's got bricks mixed in to it. Combine that with the fact that our "off street parking" is just a row of parking spots in front of the apartments, and the amount of snow we've received this year, and this means we've got piles up over our heads, and our usable parking spots are slowly getting narrower and narrower.

I can't wait to get my own house. I'll build a melting box and dump all the snow into there and let it drain into the sewer.

I was dreading getting more snow here because I physically couldn't move the snow over the 5ft snow pile I had made on either side of our driveway.

Luckily our neighbor had a snow blower and widened our driveway a bit. As long as I can get my car out in the morning I can almost be sure when I get home he'll have plowed the thing and the street so my fiance can park her car there.

I give him free Tech Support when he needs it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in for the first time.

Sick and tired of all the emails, missed phone calls, and people interrupting my work to come hassle me about their problems, I've been suggesting a ticketing system to my supervisor for months now. It always gets a resounding no from him and a bunch of bullshit hmming and hawing. This is generally his response to any suggestions or questions I have.

Turns out, all of management wants it. It was brought up at a recent staff meeting and my supervisor was the only one not on board.

I'm not proud of it, but I secretly went over his head to the GM and broached the topic. He was on board when I told him Spiceworks is free. I got it up and running on a local machine and gave him a runthrough and he loves it. I love it. He said he'd need to get my supervisor on board and assured me he'd bring it up in a way that wouldn't include mentioning my visit. I don't see how the hell it should involve my supervisor, considering all the tickets will come to me and he won't ever have to see the damned thing.

Here's hoping I don't get fired for this poo poo :shrug:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Have a ticket that is kicking my rear end, we use about a dozen LaserJet Pro 400 M451nw around the office, it is the only model we have. All of a sudden a few weeks ago, I had a CCIE redo our DHCP scope and we racked in a few more switches, maybe it was a coincidence but I have printer issues up the rear end when it was trouble-free before.

We have a few hundred laptops (some Win 7 some Win 8, both have the issue) connecting to the dozen printers, all at once people using the different printers are having them show as "offline" even though they ping fine. Unplugging the ethernet and plugging it back in on the printer doesn't seem to help, though unplugging the printer itself to power cycle the NIC sometimes makes the print jobs go through.

Prints used to be instant and now some jobs will sit and do nothing for an hour then print on their own. USB printing still works fine. What is this madness?

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm not proud of it, but I secretly went over his head to the GM and broached the topic. He was on board when I told him Spiceworks is free.

You can use single-sign-on with a login script so that everyone in the company gets a "Helpdesk" shortcut on their desktop, and then the click it they'll go directly to the Spiceworks ticket form, already logged in with their email address. Then it's really easy to say "anything you want from IT at all, click Helpdesk on your desktop.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

THF13 posted:

So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, the best way to send money in the US is to scan a paper check, embed it in a word document, print to a pdf and email it?

I've actually had someone do this for me, I then uploaded the digital image to my bank to deposit it. At least I didn't print it out and use my phone camera to capture it.

This was after they tried going into a bank branch to deposit the check into my account. That didn't work, because it wasn't my bank. I know it wasn't my bank, because it's online only. Why they didn't just do direct deposit, like they had done for the 100's of paychecks before, is beyond me.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Zero VGS posted:

You can use single-sign-on with a login script so that everyone in the company gets a "Helpdesk" shortcut on their desktop, and then the click it they'll go directly to the Spiceworks ticket form, already logged in with their email address. Then it's really easy to say "anything you want from IT at all, click Helpdesk on your desktop.

Heh, if this ever gets off the ground, it'll have to wait until we get our new AD server up and running so I can run it on that. Then I'll have to go manually place a shortcut to the ticket form on everyone's desktops. It's gonna be fun on a bun.

In other news, a phone call came in at 4:00am, thirty minutes after I fell asleep from a night dealing with food poisoning. The chief engineer is not answering his phone, and none of the production equipment is working and the crew is unable to do the 4:00am news.

I drive all the way in to find that every UPS is beeping in a horrible symphony of "poo poo's hosed up." I track the issue down to a tripped breaker and get everything back up. The culprit turns out to be a dumbass constant fuckup that plugged in a loving space heater. This resulted in an ancient 1993 music playout system dying.

Everything is fixed, my supervisor is in poo poo for not answering his phone, and I'm the golden boy of the station, with everyone coming by all day to thank me.

I'm sleepy and nauseous and wish they'd leave me alone.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Heh, if this ever gets off the ground, it'll have to wait until we get our new AD server up and running so I can run it on that. Then I'll have to go manually place a shortcut to the ticket form on everyone's desktops. It's gonna be fun on a bun.

How many desktops do you have to do? If it's over 50 then you might save time by learning how to script it, especially since you can figure it out in advance of the actual deployment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

You can create arbitrary desktop shortcuts using group policy as of server 2008.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zero VGS posted:

Have a ticket that is kicking my rear end, we use about a dozen LaserJet Pro 400 M451nw around the office, it is the only model we have. All of a sudden a few weeks ago, I had a CCIE redo our DHCP scope and we racked in a few more switches, maybe it was a coincidence but I have printer issues up the rear end when it was trouble-free before.

We have a few hundred laptops (some Win 7 some Win 8, both have the issue) connecting to the dozen printers, all at once people using the different printers are having them show as "offline" even though they ping fine. Unplugging the ethernet and plugging it back in on the printer doesn't seem to help, though unplugging the printer itself to power cycle the NIC sometimes makes the print jobs go through.

Prints used to be instant and now some jobs will sit and do nothing for an hour then print on their own. USB printing still works fine.

I've seen this before and just re-made every printer. That worked for a while but eventually we had to constantly remake printers.

I know one day we made networking changes everything just worked. No idea what it was....

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 18, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The Fool posted:

You can create arbitrary desktop shortcuts using group policy as of server 2008.

This is incredible news

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How many desktops do you have to do? If it's over 50 then you might save time by learning how to script it, especially since you can figure it out in advance of the actual deployment.

It's about 40 or so. Wouldn't take more than an hour or so to do it manually, but I'd rather figure out how to automate it for any future additions or accidental shortcut deletions and such.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
"I was moving my computer and I think I broke a thing 'cause now my computer doesn't work!"

Hmm, I think I may see your problem.

The bits in the top left were stuck in the computer, the rest was sitting on the floor. I guess the DisplayPort cable was a bit short and their solution was to give the computer a big ol' yank. Still don't know where the rest of the plastic bits went. I was honestly kind of surprised that the DisplayPort on the computer still worked when I replaced the cable.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in for the first time.

Turns out, all of management wants it. It was brought up at a recent staff meeting and my supervisor was the only one not on board.

This sounds like your supervisor will hopefully get fired, not you. I'd make sure you have the GM's contact info somewhere to contact him if your supervisor does try to fire you for this to get around him yet again. If your sup doesn't want a ticketing system there is no reason for such an excuse, and your sup *should* be fired.

In reality though most companies require you to go above your supervisor to get poo poo done if your sup is where the problem is. I may be working for a large corporation (13-14k staff) but that is a standard political powerplay and is expressly applauded within the IT dept (as long as it's for genuine reasons) at my company.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

larchesdanrew posted:

It's about 40 or so. Wouldn't take more than an hour or so to do it manually, but I'd rather figure out how to automate it for any future additions or accidental shortcut deletions and such.

Group Policy is the best way to do it, but you can also accomplish it using PDQ Deploy. There is a free version that is great. Also download and install PDQ Inventory and you can get them working together.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

That's a terrible idea. Go install PDQ Inventory and PDQ Deploy right now.

(There are better ways to do this with Group Policy, but it doesn't sound like you're quite there yet)

Edit: why hello there, Sirotan

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Am I late for snow chat?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
You know what infuriates me? When someone brings a form to me that needs to be modified (something minor, like a type correction) but they don't have a digital copy or know where I can find one.

"Here, make this small change."
*45 mins later, rebuilding the entire form from scratch, convert to PDF and apply fillable fields*

"Oh, one more minor modification"

*Make changes, re-convert to PDF, copy over all fillable fields AGAIN*

We do this every loving month. Someone see's a small modification that doesn't improve anything but I have to stop everything to rebuild the loving forms.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

m.hache posted:

You know what infuriates me? When someone brings a form to me that needs to be modified (something minor, like a type correction) but they don't have a digital copy or know where I can find one.

My old manager used to do this, and not even for anything difficult beyond bog standard typing and tables. It basically displayed that she's incapable of using MS Word, she doesn't work here anymore.

RE: PDQ Deploy Chat posted:

While I really need to learn about using group policy, is there any particular preference between the two? do you use one over the other or both combined?
Tomorrow I find out if my silent install script pays off since that's going out over GPO, but it was a pain writing it and getting it to work in the first place.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
A ticket came in for a system not taking an install right.

Since the OS isn't installed the tech's only access to the server is... Serial over LAN via SSH. :stare:

I've never seen a VPN session in pure text before.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

(There are better ways to do this with Group Policy, but it doesn't sound like you're quite there yet)

Edit: why hello there, Sirotan

I got you bro :):hf::)

Super Slash posted:

While I really need to learn about using group policy, is there any particular preference between the two? do you use one over the other or both combined?
Tomorrow I find out if my silent install script pays off since that's going out over GPO, but it was a pain writing it and getting it to work in the first place.

I'm still stuck in a 2003 environment so YMMV but I've never used GP to deploy things other than registry changes, shortcuts, drive mapping, etc. Before we took on KACE (which has been mostly ok lately), I primarily used PDQ Deploy to deploy software, PDQ Inventory to do quick uninstalls, etc. PDQ Deploy comes with a package library for a lot of popular software and the interface is extremely intuitive. You should just download and install both since the free versions are extremely robust, and try them out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got a call from the possible :yotj: people in San Diego: they want to fly me out next week for a face to face!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lightning Jim posted:

A ticket came in for a system not taking an install right.

Since the OS isn't installed the tech's only access to the server is... Serial over LAN via SSH. :stare:

I've never seen a VPN session in pure text before.

Welcome to the wonderful world of UNIX!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of UNIX!

GUI's are for bitches and people who want to work slow anyways. :smug:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Slower work means more billable hours.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Faster work means more getting paid to post on SA.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Faster work means more getting paid to post on SA.

I'm starting to realize that faster work sets a precedence that I can't always adhere to.

Set the bar low is what I'm getting at.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Haha, look at this scrub who thinks you have to say your done when you are actually done!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Worse than that - I can't even bill out my time.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Prints used to be instant and now some jobs will sit and do nothing for an hour then print on their own. USB printing still works fine. What is this madness?

Make sure you don't have something blocking SNMP traffic. Most network printer drivers utilize SNMP to get status and Windows will report a printer offline if it is unable to get a SNMP response.

Alternatively, you can just disable SNMP status, and Windows will always assume the printer is online and ready. Open up the printer's port properties, uncheck "SNMP Status Enabled". The printer should immediately show as online.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Sirotan posted:

I got you bro :):hf::)

I'm still stuck in a 2003 environment so YMMV but I've never used GP to deploy things other than registry changes, shortcuts, drive mapping, etc. Before we took on KACE (which has been mostly ok lately), I primarily used PDQ Deploy to deploy software, PDQ Inventory to do quick uninstalls, etc. PDQ Deploy comes with a package library for a lot of popular software and the interface is extremely intuitive. You should just download and install both since the free versions are extremely robust, and try them out.

GP is pretty bad at deploying anything other than MSI's that you don't need admin rights to anyway. Startup scripts do a better job at it, especially with Powershell.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've mentioned it before, but right now we're running SERVER NT, yes.

I'm used to manually managing 40 computers with varying operating systems :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Super Slash posted:

My old manager used to do this, and not even for anything difficult beyond bog standard typing and tables. It basically displayed that she's incapable of using MS Word, she doesn't work here anymore.

Learn Group Policy if you are going to admin Windows Networks.

• Locked thread