Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was doing some network fault-finding at some guys house today, I honestly don't think I'd ever be comfortable with having staff and being such a huge prick about making sure everyone is aware of who's working for who in the relationship. Not that I'll ever likely be in a position to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

FireSight posted:

To be fair, if I'm going anywhere that cell service might be spotty, I print out a copy of my map directions.... I had google maps crash on me when I was in the mountains once. That wasn't fun.

I went to a wedding up in a nature reserve in NC once and wished I had done this. It didnt' help that I was driving through this wilderness dotted with shacks and didn't anticipate how long it would be til the next gas station. By the time we came out the other side I could swear I was hearing banjos and was praising the baby jesus that I didn't turn off/not turn off on the wrong road.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I've worked with Senior AS/400 Administrators (70k/y+) and while they have an iPhone they have to print out map directions and airline itinerary.
I'll always print all the flight info I need, mostly because I don't trust the battery in my phone. Paper doesn't run out of battery at inopportune moments.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tab8715 posted:

Heh.

I've worked with Senior AS/400 Administrators (70k/y+) and while they have an iPhone they have to print out map directions and airline itinerary.

I do this. I know I *can* just scan my phone for the boarding pass or whatever but for the sake of 30 seconds printing it's lovely to have a hard copy I will never need in my bag.

neogeo0823 posted:

They pay for everything via paper check, that they fill out at the register. Whenever anyone asks why they don't switch to using a debit card instead, they tell you that checks work just fine and are more secure.

They really need to not move to the UK then, cheque payment is essentially dead, very few shops will let you use them.

And we're rapidly starting to use contactless for everything under £20 (soon to be £30). They'd probably have a heart attack right there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dudley posted:

They really need to not move to the UK then, cheque payment is essentially dead, very few shops will let you use them.
Cheques are completely dead in Sweden. Most banks here won't give you a chequebook any more, you can't pay with them anywhere and banks will charge you out the rear end to cash one. Money orders are occasionally used but is on a decline thanks to internet banking transfers being faster, easier and cheaper.

But even the dinkiest little corner store will have a chip&pin machine, and if you're running an temporary event or a personal business you can get an iZettle to let your customers pay with cards.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dudley posted:

I do this. I know I *can* just scan my phone for the boarding pass or whatever but for the sake of 30 seconds printing it's lovely to have a hard copy I will never need in my bag.

And we're rapidly starting to use contactless for everything under £20 (soon to be £30). They'd probably have a heart attack right there.

They are very quickly on the way out here in the states too. Most places I have visited over the past year or so have signs up that they do not accept checks.

Or Amex, for that matter.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Eh,

I still trust my phone and if something didn't work it's nothing that a discussion with the airline front desk wouldn't be able to help out by printing a ticket.

YMMV

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 17, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

RFC2324 posted:

They are very quickly on the way out here in the states too. Most places I have visited over the past year or so have signs up that they do not accept checks.

Or Amex, for that matter.

Checks are still accepted all over Western New York, where I live, but yeah, AMEX is thankfully very rare. The reason behind AMEX phasing out is because it's a special snowflake card provider that has its own special rules and transaction rates. When we're setting a client up with a credit card terminal, we provision a merchant ID for them. This MID covers MasterCard, Visa, and Discover cards. If the merchant wants to opt into AMEX, they need to fill out separate paperwork, pay separate rates for those specific transactions, and we need to provision them a special AMEX-only MID, which I have to program into the terminal separately. It's a huge pain in the rear end, and thankfully we only have a handful of clients that take it.

I really wish checks would die in a fire though already. They're outdated, insecure, a huge pain in the rear end to process, require special equipment, separate accounts, and everything. For an example of how that works, if we get a merchant who wants to process checks, we have to provision their credit MID, go to a separate company to provision a check MID, get the merchant special equipment(typically an FD200) which uses an ink cartridge that we then have to supply them with, and I have to program the terminal twice to get both programs in there. If they're processing over IP instead of dial, then I have to go to a third company to provision everything to work through them for internet connectivity. So, we're basically doing 2-3 times the work per terminal to process a method of payment that is worse in every way compared to debit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Close to my work is a slew of bars and restaurants that are cash only. No CC, no debit, etc. Luckily most have a Tyme Machine though.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

neogeo0823 posted:

They pay for everything via paper check, that they fill out at the register. Whenever anyone asks why they don't switch to using a debit card instead, they tell you that checks work just fine and are more secure.

Had to explain this to my wife earlier.

"You can't use steam to open an encrypted transaction, unlike the envelope you just put our mortgage payment in." :colbert:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I still use checks to pay rent. I know squares and things like them are getting popular for small businesses, but until there's a good way to pay one guy who may or may not be technologically inclined without cash, they'll be around for that purpose.

That said I don't use anything but debit anywhere else. I can't wait for us to not be using idiot magnetic strips only because that tiny piece of plastic is my only way to spend. When it gets crappy near the end of its productive life and I have to order a new one I'm typically staying at home for the couple days it's deactivated.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

Close to my work is a slew of bars and restaurants that are cash only. No CC, no debit, etc. Luckily most have a Tyme Machine though.

There are a ton of bars that will only take cash, but hey they have an ATM over there in the corner with a $5 fee!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Eldercain posted:

I still use checks to pay rent. I know squares and things like them are getting popular for small businesses, but until there's a good way to pay one guy who may or may not be technologically inclined without cash, they'll be around for that purpose.

Hell, last 2 places I have lived had online payments for rent and bills. And this is in Texas, which people keep telling me is backward and rednecked.

Eldercain posted:

That said I don't use anything but debit anywhere else. I can't wait for us to not be using idiot magnetic strips only because that tiny piece of plastic is my only way to spend. When it gets crappy near the end of its productive life and I have to order a new one I'm typically staying at home for the couple days it's deactivated.

You should generally replace your card annually, for the same reason we change our passwords every few months. This way you can overlap the active periods and not be without money for a few days as well.(I can probably do without going out for a few days myself, but gently caress being without easy access to my money)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

RFC2324 posted:

Hell, last 2 places I have lived had online payments for rent and bills. And this is in Texas, which people keep telling me is backward and rednecked.

You should generally replace your card annually, for the same reason we change our passwords every few months. This way you can overlap the active periods and not be without money for a few days as well.(I can probably do without going out for a few days myself, but gently caress being without easy access to my money)

My last place had online payments but there was like a 25 dollar charge. The lady who showed me the place told me not to use it because it was bs and so checks it was. I'm in a relatively hip area in TN and renting from a guy who owns his house and the one I'm in so it's basically the least likely situation to have online payment.

I actually end up replacing it every 1-2 years because my incredibly strong and shapely rear end tends to crush the cheaply made card and it breaks right along the strip because of how it sits in my wallet. Changing it more regularly would probably be good but is below several things on my list of stuff I'm being irresponsible about and shouldn't be like going to see a physician regularly for checkups.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RFC2324 posted:

My building in Brooklyn just switched to an online payment system, but there's a fee added on top that's some % of the rent which is bullshit and I'm going to just start deducting it from my payments since they still need to replace the goddamned olympic bar in the gym here :argh:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The only places I go that are cash-only are barbershops. It's an inconvenience, but those 70-year-old guys are the ones with the most experience. If you're a bar, just get a drat POS system.

I hate checks, but I'd rather pay rent with checks than cash, and at least my current landlord doesn't take cards.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Man, I hate when people put in a large "convenience fee" for paying online or with a card.

I generally just won't pay that way rather than give them more money for the privilege of taking my money.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

In the US can you not transfer money straight into someone's account? Here (UK), your landlord gives you their bank account details, and you either tell your bank to automatically transfer the amount each month (standing order) or just use online/mobile banking to make the payment manually.

If I owe my flatmate some money I can just open an app, tap Make payment > "Chris" > £xx > Done. He's got it in his account instantly.

Some small shops do charge a small fee for using cards though, or require you to spend more than £5. :(

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
^^online bill pay through your bank is a thing, but I've found it to be of mixed usefulness. I don't know if it's a cultural or tech barrier or both but transfers like that are not common, at least in this part of the states. Hell, the only way I know of that I could transfer money right now is through snapchat, which is kind of laughable.

Surely that's some hamfisted way that they're trying to recoup fees for credit cards? I can't imagine anything more convenient for a business and its employees than not having to deal with checks/large cash deposits. I've worked on payment systems/databases and unless someone punches something in wrong it's typically completely automatic if they pay and 99% automatic if they don't.

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 17, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GigaFuzz posted:

In the US can you not transfer money straight into someone's account? Here (UK), your landlord gives you their bank account details, and you either tell your bank to automatically transfer the amount each month (standing order) or just use online/mobile banking to make the payment manually.

If I owe my flatmate some money I can just open an app, tap Make payment > "Chris" > £xx > Done. He's got it in his account instantly.

Some small shops do charge a small fee for using cards though, or require you to spend more than £5. :(

This is very rare in the US for some stupid reason. When available, funds transfers usually have large fees and/or inexplicably long delays.

For example:
I once was on a business trip and my wife needed extra cash for something beyond our usual budget. I transferred some cash from my primary USAA account to my local credit union.

Transfer took 7 days until the funds were available. USAA didn't charge me any money to send, but there was a $15 fee from my CU to accept it.

Eldercain posted:

Surely that's some hamfisted way that they're trying to recoup fees for credit cards?

Yes, that's it exactly.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GigaFuzz posted:

I can just email money to people in Canada, all you need is their email address and a shared password/security question answer.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

GigaFuzz posted:

Nope, the inter-bank communication system in the US was designed in the 70s, and banks don't want to upgrade because they would have to do work and change their habits, and banks get to charge tens of dollars to do a wire transfer now. They would lose that revenue. Here's a good overview: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/10/04/229224964/episode-489-the-invisible-plumbing-of-our-economy

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Erwin posted:

Nope, the inter-bank communication system in the US was designed in the 70s, and banks don't want to upgrade because they would have to do work and change their habits, and banks get to charge tens of dollars to do a wire transfer now. They would lose that revenue. Here's a good overview: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/10/04/229224964/episode-489-the-invisible-plumbing-of-our-economy

Basically, in case the housing crash didn't convince anyone, banks basically get to do whatever they want in the US because they have all the money. Something people who can do whatever they want because they have all the money are not well known for doing is changing how things work. Because the way things work already means they can do whatever they want and have all the money.

Go freedom :toot:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, unless you have the same bank it's a nightmare to transfer money, even then I'm not sure about all banks. Chase lets you do quickpay or quicktransfer or something, my girlfriend can get/give her mom money instantly because they both use chase, but I use a different bank and I'm sure there is some sort of fee applied for a transfer.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

GigaFuzz posted:

In the US you can, but a lot of companies are so backwater that even in highly developed areas they won't enable you to ACH (electronic transfer) into their account so you're obligated to send a check. From the same people who *have* accounts you can ACH into! It's stupid because hey, a check can be lost but an automated transfer at least can't be lost in the same way.

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, I hate when people put in a large "convenience fee" for paying online or with a card.

This is such fleecing of customers, and they only do it because they know the average person won't sue over it.

^^^ Ally will let you ACH to anyone free, as long as you have account and routing ##.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My landlord company is trying to convince us to pay our rent online rather than mailing them checks, except the billing company that they're going through wants to charge us 35 bucks a month for the privilege of using our credit cards. Otherwise we can just give them direct access to our bank accounts, and yeah screw you pal but if you're going to fleece me that much on a credit card I'm not going to let you just charge me whatever the hell you want straight into my checking.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Kurieg posted:

My landlord company is trying to convince us to pay our rent online rather than mailing them checks, except the billing company that they're going through wants to charge us 35 bucks a month for the privilege of using our credit cards. Otherwise we can just give them direct access to our bank accounts, and yeah screw you pal but if you're going to fleece me that much on a credit card I'm not going to let you just charge me whatever the hell you want straight into my checking.

In what loving world does processing a single credit card payment cost anyone in the chain 30+ dollars?

And this is why we still have checks. If they were going to charge me a fee for a check, I would go to my bank and get cash out for free, and then hand them a big fat stack of bills. Maybe work something out so that I could get it all in pennies.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It doesn't cost $30, they're just assholes trying to get money. It's like Ticketmaster and their bullshit "convenience" charges for printing a ticket at home.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eldercain posted:

In what loving world does processing a single credit card payment cost anyone in the chain 30+ dollars?

And this is why we still have checks. If they were going to charge me a fee for a check, I would go to my bank and get cash out for free, and then hand them a big fat stack of bills. Maybe work something out so that I could get it all in pennies.

The problem with cash is you have no proof they received it.

GreenNight posted:

It doesn't cost $30, they're just assholes trying to get money. It's like Ticketmaster and their bullshit "convenience" charges for printing a ticket at home.

I make them loving mail me the ticket in a goddamned envelope. I have something to pin to my wall and I'll be goddamned if I'm paying $3 (on top of the existing charges) to print a PDF.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 17, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, same. When I went down to city hall to pay my property tax bill, they said it's a 3% charge for a CC payment. Not that I'd pay with a CC for that, but on a $4000 bill, gently caress.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Western New York, where I live
Hey there WNY Goon! You in Roc or Buff?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would be lost without BACS/this

It gets used so much - group holiday? Someone shoves it all on their CC and they have the money in their bank account by that evening. Owe someone? A few clicks and it's done. No fees, no third-party.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

As a note, AUTOMATED loving PAYMENTS between banks won't clear during the weekend in the USA, because apparently all the computers at the Federal Reserve shut down after normal banking hours.

poo poo that requires literally 0 human oversight unless something goes wrong.

Just because nobody has wanted to update rules that were written in the 70s.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

FireSight posted:

As a note, AUTOMATED loving PAYMENTS between banks won't clear during the weekend in the USA, because apparently all the computers at the Federal Reserve shut down after normal banking hours.

poo poo that requires literally 0 human oversight unless something goes wrong.

Just because nobody has wanted to update rules that were written in the 70s.

I hit overdraft this weekend because my cheque wouldn't clear until Tuesday (Holiday on Monday) but my auto debits went through without a hitch.

Great system.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

m.hache posted:

I hit overdraft this weekend because my cheque wouldn't clear until Tuesday (Holiday on Monday) but my auto debits went through without a hitch.

Great system.

Same here. :suicide:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, the best way to send money in the US is to scan a paper check, embed it in a word document, print to a pdf and email it?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

m.hache posted:

Great system.

It is working as designed. By doing it that way they get to charge you an overdraft fee and/or interest.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

THF13 posted:

So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, the best way to send money in the US is to scan a paper check, embed it in a word document, print to a pdf and email it?

I'm 99% sure that'll work just fine without any fees.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

THF13 posted:

Then print the email and mail that to yourself as a receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

The real question is what's worse, printers or banks?

• Locked thread