Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Deviant posted:

I have two of these, but I'm finding the 2nd stick placed weird for tilts.

Are you using it for tilts? I dunno, I use a pro controller too and it's fantastic and feels a lot nicer than the GC controller to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

See, I can't get used to the Pro Controller/Gamepad having the stick above the buttons. I'm too used to having my thumb on the c-stick and my fingers on the buttons, and the other controllers have it backwards.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bluff Buster posted:

See, I can't get used to the Pro Controller/Gamepad having the stick above the buttons. I'm too used to having my thumb on the c-stick and my fingers on the buttons, and the other controllers have it backwards.
Wait, how do you hold a controller?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wait, how do you hold a controller?

For most games, I hold the controller normally, where I've got my right thumb on the buttons and the index finger on the R button. For smash, or for any game where I use the c-stick extensively, I keep my thumb on the c-stick, my index fingers on the A/X button, and my middle finger on the Z button.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I just slide my thumb over from A whenever I need to use the C-stick, that sounds weird and very uncomfortable to have sitting in your lap or something.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you using it for tilts?

That's what I said?

Maybe i just need to practice more and get muscle memory, but I feel like i'm slow in moving my thumb from buttons to stick.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Well, it just comes naturally to me whenever I play smash. Dunno what else to say, really. I can hold it up just fine.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Claw grip is pretty common for smash because it lets you have full control at pretty much all times.

Also was really nice in Melee for Peach and spacie players as it allowed them to do things like Float cancel really easily or Short hop double lazer without needing to have ridiculous thumb speed. You don't need to put it on your lap or anything. It's not super useful in Smash 4 since you can rebind but some people just stick to what they know.

It's like that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

Claw grip is pretty common for smash because it lets you have full control at pretty much all times.

Also was really nice in Melee for Peach and spacie players as it allowed them to do things like Float cancel really easily or Short hop double lazer without needing to have ridiculous thumb speed. You don't need to put it on your lap or anything. It's not super useful in Smash 4 since you can rebind but some people just stick to what they know.

It's like that.

If I had to play Smash like that I do not think I would play anymore

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wait, people used the claw grip on Gamecube controllers?

How the - how does that work with the tiny-rear end X and Y?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

The gamecube controller is perfect for claw since you can just really quickly swipe your index finger and it will depress the y button quickly enough to short hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnq0x6Us50Q&t=101s

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That's just ridiculous.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I've only ever seen that grip used with tekken

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think it's that uncommon. People tend to play Dark Souls with claw as well because it lets you run and control the camera at the same time.

It just looks weird, but it's a function over form sort of thing.

Edit: It's also supposedly nice for people with wrist/nerve damage? I have a friend who plays claw who says it feels better on his hands because he doesn't need to make so many quick movements.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The fact that it's possible to be competitive in Smash Bros. without using that grip is proof that it will never be a serious competitive game.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Wait, people used the claw grip on Gamecube controllers?

How the - how does that work with the tiny-rear end X and Y?

Like I said, I only use what I suppose is "the claw grip" for Smash, so the Y button doesn't get used at all, at least not by me, and I use my thumb for the B button.

Who are the real monsters?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The fact that it's possible to be competitive in Smash Bros. without using that grip is proof that it will never be a serious competitive game.

Nah, it's not being able to use a fight stick that dooms it.

Throws off the FGC's muscle memory

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Has anyone tried to play smash on a fight stick?

Are there fight sticks for wii u?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't work cuz you need analog for tilts and Light Shielding, but there was a very large thread on Smashboards about attempting to get fight sticks working in Dolphin.

Long story short they just aren't very good for Smash.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

laplace posted:

It's like that.

The gently caress is wrong with you people, holding controllers like a bunch of crab-men?
Just remap one of the shoulder buttons to jump if it bothers you that much. You mentioned as much, but still.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The claw grip should only ever be used to pick up very small beans, flashing the OK sign to let your SO know you enjoyed sleeping with them, and when playing Halo to let the other people know that you're a massive fucktard.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hate fight sticks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Street fighter, not a competitive game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Louisgod posted:

and when playing Halo to let the other people know that you're a massive fucktard.
just use bumper jumper

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

For what it's worth, Claw is only really important/valuable for very specific characters. I think the list is Spacies, Yoshi, Ness, and Peach. Essentially anyone with specific jump gimmicks. There are very few Sheik or Marth players who play claw, for example. It's just not super necessary as they don't need to hold the jump button while doing other inputs.

PM/Smash 4/Brawl rectified the necessity as you could (and many pros do) remap jump to Z.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm shocked this sentence didn't end with ", dad."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

I'm shocked this sentence didn't end with ", dad."
It wasn't a serious sentence. But this is the Smash thread, so I suppose it's not obvious.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Hey ya'll I'm in the market for Dedede tips, tricks, and videos. Specifically, I'm having a hard time returning to the stage once I'm launched, but I'd like to be better in all forms of penguin violence. Thanks smash friends.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

MTV Crib Death posted:

Hey ya'll I'm in the market for Dedede tips, tricks, and videos. Specifically, I'm having a hard time returning to the stage once I'm launched, but I'd like to be better in all forms of penguin violence. Thanks smash friends.

dedede has one of the safest recoveries in the game. throw out a gordo as you're floating back to the stage to cover yourself and go for below the stage to recover low with his up B. fast fall neutral air is the heart and soul of dedede, I think.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

MTV Crib Death posted:

here's some penguin violence for you.

http://i.imgur.com/XPUZap0.gifv

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
One of the best players in our region plays Dedede almost exclusively. Here's a bunch of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSNyLx82vCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CtKOcCuupA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ozDHTAIhA

Or check us out on twitch tuesday nights at http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground

The MA scene is amazing, almost no one plays Diddy. All our top players play Sheik, Dedede, Falcon, or Mario.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

LanceKing2200 posted:

One of the best players in our region plays Dedede almost exclusively. Here's a bunch of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSNyLx82vCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CtKOcCuupA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ozDHTAIhA

Or check us out on twitch tuesday nights at http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground

The MA scene is amazing, almost no one plays Diddy. All our top players play Sheik, Dedede, Falcon, or Mario.

I got so excited when you said there was a great scene in my state, but I just looked and it's like an hour away from where I live. :(

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

An hour is not a lot...

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

Is is mostly around Boston or is there a Western MA scene as well?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

This is around Framingham. I wanna know if there's a Boston scene too. :(

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Oh!!!!! Hmm!!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So this happened, again proving custom moves is the best thing to happen to Smash.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'd like to figure out why I keep losing as Peach and winning as Link even though I've mained Peach since Brawl and basically never paid much attention to Link. Like what am I doing wrong.

KennyMan666 posted:

So this happened, again proving custom moves is the best thing to happen to Smash.
Again, only a problem if you turn team attack on. Just turn it off.

vvv e; I don't even use x and y to jump anyway, I'd get no benefit from the claw. vvv

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 18, 2015

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Link is pretty good in this one that's why.

And perhaps you're not claw styling enough for peach ~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chaltab posted:

I'd like to figure out why I keep losing as Peach and winning as Link even though I've mained Peach since Brawl and basically never paid much attention to Link. Like what am I doing wrong.

Again, only a problem if you turn team attack on. Just turn it off.

vvv e; I don't even use x and y to jump anyway, I'd get no benefit from the claw. vvv

Team Attack should be on in teams anyway though

• Locked thread