Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

AFAIK the line of thought went like this

1. Computers will glitch out when 2000 hits.
2. Computers have absolute control over Important Things
3. Glitching computers will bring about THE END OF CIVILIZATION AS WE KNOW IT
4. Therefore stockpile because I WILL RUN BARTERTOWN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Update on the McLovin campaign: Despite small % increases in consumers talking about McD actual consumer attitudes didn't budge and in some cases declined.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Barudak posted:

Update on the McLovin campaign: Despite small % increases in consumers talking about McD actual consumer attitudes didn't budge and in some cases declined.

My store took part in that poo poo. Our store is already loved in our area so it was a huge waste of time that i managed to avoid by working third shift. Also it only lasted 14 days, which is a tiny blip in consumers' minds.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

pentyne posted:

No joke tons of people were losing their minds over Y2K and the instant the clocks turned over the news were interviewing Australians about whether or not their computers went down. People were being interviewed for their disaster prep extremes and treated like rational sane people rather then the nuts that they were.

I know this isn't the place for it, but can anyone give a rundown as to why it was actually a problem from a semi technical standpoint? Because computers don't store the year, it just stores the seconds since whatever epoch you're using doesn't it?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Praseodymi posted:

I know this isn't the place for it, but can anyone give a rundown as to why it was actually a problem from a semi technical standpoint? Because computers don't store the year, it just stores the seconds since whatever epoch you're using doesn't it?

The computer would probably be fine on a low level since yes, it gets the current date by counting seconds from...some time in the 70s, I want to say. But imagine a piece of software designed to handle the payroll. It stored the date as two numbers representing decade and year, while the millennium and century were assumed to be 1 and 9 respectively. When 2000 hit the decade and year went to 00, making the computer think it was 1900. It wasn't exactly going to send nukes flying or anything, but employees might not get paid and it would think people are negative years old and all sorts of weird stuff. Of course, even systems that weren't designed to the year 2000 in mind really should have some sanity checking and default to doing the safest thing when weird poo poo like a negative age turned up, just in case someone made a typo on someone's birthdate or something like that.

tl:dr: Y2K bug would have been a nuisance and probably caused a LOT of problems, but it wasn't apocalyptic my any means.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

When I worked there, the staff meetings were named and posted as "KKK Meets" (Krispy Kreme Krew).
Everybody thought it was weird but nobody did anything about it.

AMA about being a former KKK member.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slime posted:

The computer would probably be fine on a low level since yes, it gets the current date by counting seconds from...some time in the 70s, I want to say. But imagine a piece of software designed to handle the payroll. It stored the date as two numbers representing decade and year, while the millennium and century were assumed to be 1 and 9 respectively. When 2000 hit the decade and year went to 00, making the computer think it was 1900. It wasn't exactly going to send nukes flying or anything, but employees might not get paid and it would think people are negative years old and all sorts of weird stuff. Of course, even systems that weren't designed to the year 2000 in mind really should have some sanity checking and default to doing the safest thing when weird poo poo like a negative age turned up, just in case someone made a typo on someone's birthdate or something like that.

tl:dr: Y2K bug would have been a nuisance and probably caused a LOT of problems, but it wasn't apocalyptic my any means.

Like this guy said, it would cause a lot of little problems. The issue there is that a lot of little problems can be REALLY hard to ferret out, and can cause compounding issues. It definitely wouldn't've launched nukes or anything, but it could've hosed with, say, the power grid a bit if there were two integer dates in the controllers, or if they predicted output based on years and generated a certain amount (for 1900 it would've been 0, for 2000 it would've been way more than 0). It could've also paralyzed parts of our economy that used bad software, and it potentially could've taken months to fix. In the end, there was enough vision on the issue that it was solved with quite a bit of time to spare, and even if it HAD gone bad, it wouldn't've wrecked our society, just been an annoying few years while everything was dealt with.

:ninja: edit: In terms of scale, it was a potential economic Hurricane Katrina not a Krakatoa.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Praseodymi posted:

Basically, some programs in Windows didn't account for the change in millennia because it saved space in memory. This could cause errors for, say, accounting programs and poo poo, but not for 90% of what people thought it would.

There is actually a similar issue with Linux that will occur in 2038, which people don't ever talk about because most consumers don't even know what Linux is.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So the gist is it was people not being safe when they did date comparisons, fair enough.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

There is actually a similar issue with Linux that will occur in 2038, which people don't ever talk about because most consumers don't even know what Linux is.

That's what I was comparing it to, and that makes more sense, as anything more than 1970 + 2^32 seconds can't be represented if you're keeping track of time like that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Praseodymi posted:

So the gist is it was people not being safe when they did date comparisons, fair enough.

That's what I was comparing it to, and that makes more sense, as anything more than 1970 + 2^32 seconds can't be represented if you're keeping track of time like that.

Yeah, that's exactly it. Just some minor issue that can be (and was) resolved through very small updates. I remember being really freaked out at the time, though, 'cause I didn't understand computers well and good lord did the media lost their poo poo about it.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Feb 18, 2015

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The KKK took my donuts away. :(

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Well, a few unnecessary abortions happened because tests for birth defects came back as false positives. But you know, whatever.

I hadn't actually heard about that and yeah that's definitely worse. Still isn't "world got nuked into Fallout" bad.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Was that seriously the problem?

Because I could easily set the calendar on my computer to 1970 but that doesn't transform it into some huge clunky monstrosity that runs on tape reels and fills an entire room.

This was the late 90's where most people didn't have PCs yet and the only people that really knew computers were huge nerds and being a nerd was A Bad Thing. I remember telling people I wanted to go to college to become a programmer and they'd think I was stupid because "computers won't last." Aside from that like was said people assumed computers could do all sorts of stupid poo poo they ultimately couldn't or thought they were smarter than they were. There was just a lot of technological ignorance at the time. You had a great many people who had never interacted with a computer directly that had only seen computers in the movies and thought you could do crap like launch nukes with a laptop that you got close enough to the Pentagon.

So you had people saying that all of the missiles were going to launch or all the power plants would simultaneously explode and crap. And again as was said there were some minor hiccups here and there but absolutely nothing apocalyptic happened largely because everybody kind of, you know, saw it coming and could patch the software years ahead of time. Which was another issue; a lot of people had no idea you could do things like patch software.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I wonder what it's like to be one of the tech dudes at a production company that makes News reports or CSI 'Hacker' segments. It would either be a nightmare or god drat hilarious.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

darkhand posted:

I wonder what it's like to be one of the tech dudes at a production company that makes News reports or CSI 'Hacker' segments. It would either be a nightmare or god drat hilarious.

I used to live with some people who really, really liked those shows and I just flat out couldn't watch them. With the crap those shows tell the viewer computers can do the things might as well be wearing goddamned wizard hats and waving wands and going "TADAAAA!" while the criminal just appears right in front of them.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I used to live with some people who really, really liked those shows and I just flat out couldn't watch them. With the crap those shows tell the viewer computers can do the things might as well be wearing goddamned wizard hats and waving wands and going "TADAAAA!" while the criminal just appears right in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Oh man, I was hoping it was going to be the NCIS "two people/one keyboard" hacking scene. :(

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh man, I was hoping it was going to be the NCIS "two people/one keyboard" hacking scene. :(

Hey guess what, I have good news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In last week's Arrow the hot nerd hacker not only zoomed in and enhanced a camera still but also changed the camera angle.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I remember reading about a potential problem somewhere around then (2038 or so) that will affect DOS based 32 bit computers. Basically something about running out of storage to store the number of seconds since 1970-something and just not working anymore. Obviously a lot of computers now are 64 bit and I suspect its an easily fixable problem, but it does exist. I remember testing it out with an old palm pilot by setting the year forward until it froze (around 2020-something)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This was the late 90's where most people didn't have PCs yet and the only people that really knew computers were huge nerds and being a nerd was A Bad Thing. I remember telling people I wanted to go to college to become a programmer and they'd think I was stupid because "computers won't last." Aside from that like was said people assumed computers could do all sorts of stupid poo poo they ultimately couldn't or thought they were smarter than they were. There was just a lot of technological ignorance at the time. You had a great many people who had never interacted with a computer directly that had only seen computers in the movies and thought you could do crap like launch nukes with a laptop that you got close enough to the Pentagon.

The 90s weren't the 80s. 51 percent of Americans had a computer at home by 2000, 80 percent of children had access at least at school, and programming/computer science were constantly mentioned as a future high-demand field that students should go into. Sorry about your nerd persecution complex but it doesn't have any basis in reality.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Re: McDonald's Pizza chat

McDonald's Canada launched pizza at all of its franchises at the same time in 1992. They made franchisees pay for expensive ovens, freezers and prep equipment. They also made franchisees add new signs under the golden arches to show that the store did indeed sell pizza. The ad agency had the brilliant idea to use the McDonald's "M" turned on an angle as a "Z":

Not only that, they did something that very few companies have the stones to do: Buy ad time on all stations, at the same time, during prime time. Meaning right before the Simpsons or something every single station in the country showed the same McDonald's pizza commercial. It was famous a the time for how much money they spent. This may have been one variation on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeQQfI8Xg3o
(Always a great idea to put your CEO in the ad, right?)

Here are two very Canadian ads from 1992 after the big launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEhUjabIE8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4yXsoqtOVY

Now it seems the limitations of having pre-frozen pies meant that the result was greasy and chemical-tasting and the taste did not rival any of the major pizza chains in any way. It also took a long time to prepare (they claimed 5 minutes but in reality it was more like 10-15). You would order the pizza and then once it was ready one of the counter people would carry it out and put it on a stand in the middle of your table with shakers of parmesan and chili flakes.

Anyways the experiment only lasted till 1999 and by that time they had discontinued the family size pizza and only did the personal size. They stopped selling pizza entirely and took down the expensive signs. I think there might have been a bit of a franchisee revolt due to the money lost. Cleverly they retrofitted the freezers and ovens to bake fresh (from frozen) bagels and muffins from then on.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Is it too early to call the Kinect a failed peripheral? Because there are very few Kinect-required titles for Xbox One, and it appears that only one is any good.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

canyoneer posted:

Is it too early to call the Kinect a failed peripheral? Because there are very few Kinect-required titles for Xbox One, and it appears that only one is any good.

Kinect was already a failed peripheral last gen and now even moreso. The amount Microsoft hosed over people like Harmonix by pulling that thing out of the box to cut costs is astounding. PS. What is the one good kinect title? (Dance Central spotlight?)

Also never forget the poncho reveal starring cirque du soleil for a video game peripheral.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The 90s weren't the 80s. 51 percent of Americans had a computer at home by 2000, 80 percent of children had access at least at school, and programming/computer science were constantly mentioned as a future high-demand field that students should go into. Sorry about your nerd persecution complex but it doesn't have any basis in reality.

I also live in rural Pennsylvania which is perpetually behind the rest of the nation. Has nothing to do with nerd persecution complexes. Aside form that "most people having a computer by 2000" does not mean most people had them in the 90's. Not everybody that had one even used it all that much and most of the kids in school looked at me like I was insane when they found out I had an e-mail address in 1995. We had computers at school but didn't really use them for all that much. Some classes used them exactly never.

They were there sure but people weren't really using them for all that much but when they caught on they caught on something fierce. The main reason they caught on among people I knew in high school was when the school got a T1 line and people realized you could download music and put it on a zip/external drive. Then the nerdy computer kids suddenly became more popular.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

canyoneer posted:

The Kinect is absolutely a failed peripheral, it's just that Microsoft was keeping the drat thing on life support long after it should have died.

What's most puzzling is that it seem to actually have utility when modded for decidedly non-video game things, but Microsoft either doesn't know or doesn't care and isn't bringing the product to other divisions where it might see some real use.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Aside form that "most people having a computer by 2000" does not mean most people had them in the 90's.

Do you understand which year came before 2000.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Phanatic posted:

Well, a few unnecessary abortions happened because tests for birth defects came back as false positives. But you know, whatever.
Do you have a citation for this? The only thing I can find is the other way around, with women given understated estimates of the risk of down's syndrome.

edit: Hell, there was another page. Well.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Do you understand which year came before 2000.
"in 1995 most people didn't have computers" and "technically barely over half of americans had computers in 2000" aren't mutually exclusive even theoretically, why are you being such a dipshit about it?

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind00/c8/c8s3.htm:

quote:

A number of indicators show the growing and widespread use of computers and computer-based technologies in the late 1990s. The increase in the number of home computers is particularly noteworthy.[24] In 1999, for the first time ever, a majority of American adults (54 percent) had at least one computer in their homes. The percentage has been rising steadily since 1983, when only 8 percent had them. (See figure 8-16 and appendix table 8-30.) In addition, among all adults,

46 percent had modems (for connection to the Internet) in their home computers, up from 21 percent in 1995;

45 percent had CD-ROM readers, up from 14 percent in 1995;

the late '90s - the second half of the decade, the period from 1995 through 1999, which is not the same as "the year 2000 specifically" - were a time of growth and change for Americans' relationship with home computers, and numbers from the year 2000 are not actually indicative of numbers and standards in rural areas throughout the preceding decade

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

InediblePenguin posted:

"in 1995 most people didn't have computers" and "technically barely over half of americans had computers in 2000" aren't mutually exclusive even theoretically, why are you being such a dipshit about it?

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind00/c8/c8s3.htm:

the late '90s - the second half of the decade, the period from 1995 through 1999, which is not the same as "the year 2000 specifically" - were a time of growth and change for Americans' relationship with home computers, and numbers from the year 2000 are not actually indicative of numbers and standards in rural areas throughout the preceding decade
The topic had been Y2K, which is 1999 specifically, and oh hey look In 1999, for the first time ever, a majority of American adults (54 percent) had at least one computer in their homes.

Don't take your weird hick anger out on me when your own cites prove you wrong

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

You still seem to think "barely over half of Americans owned a computer" somehow negates "most Americans didn't understand how computers worked and poo poo" so whatever, dude

I'm also not the person you were arguing with before so your "hick anger" comment is pretty out of the blue tbh but ok

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Most people now don't understand how computers work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The topic had been Y2K, which is 1999 specifically, and oh hey look In 1999, for the first time ever, a majority of American adults (54 percent) had at least one computer in their homes.

Don't take your weird hick anger out on me when your own cites prove you wrong

In 1999, for the first time ever, the majority of adults had computers in their homes. Which means by definition that from 1990 to 1998 most homes did not have computers which is kind of, you know, 90% of the decade. Which does in fact justify my argument that the 90's were a time when computers were becoming increasingly popular and less the exclusive territory of nerds. The years around 2,000 were the big turning point.

Piell posted:

Most people now don't understand how computers work.

These days most people I've met are at least vaguely aware of how stupid computers are and that stuff like the Y2K bug can't launch nukes. Yeah people are still technologically illiterate overall but it isn't nearly as bad as 20 years ago.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In 1999, for the first time ever, the majority of adults had computers in their homes. Which means by definition that from 1990 to 1998 most homes did not have computers which is kind of, you know, 90% of the decade. Which does in fact justify my argument that the 90's were a time when computers were becoming increasingly popular and less the exclusive territory of nerds. The years around 2,000 were the big turning point.

But we were talking about 1999, do you understand when 1999 is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I think there were crusades happening.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mind the walrus posted:

The Kinect is absolutely a failed peripheral, it's just that Microsoft was keeping the drat thing on life support long after it should have died.

What's most puzzling is that it seem to actually have utility when modded for decidedly non-video game things, but Microsoft either doesn't know or doesn't care and isn't bringing the product to other divisions where it might see some real use.

Nintendo opened a Pandora's Box of attempted rip-offs with the Wii. The Miis had the same effect as the motion controls; XBox Live avatars and Playstation Home tried and failed to draw that one in.

It's really only Nintendo that can do stuff like that, and it's because they can still assure quality. Their first-party games will use their gimmick in the way they intended, usually doing quite well with it (as well as can be expected, at least), while also being a good game. The Playstation/Xbox big titles are things that other companies make, so they'll rarely be as willing to incorporate the peripheral, and quality of both the game and the integration will be less consistent. Really, without Wii Sports and Twilight Princess showing people both 'motion controls should work like this' and 'motion controls won't get in the way of us making what you want from us' the Wii would have failed too.

The only other company that's managed to do similar is Valve, and they often do it the other way around. They use TF2 and Dota 2 to test possible new meta-game features, and then incorporate it into Steam as a whole if it works. That way, when other developers get their hands on it, they've seen how to make it work and can follow suit.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

The original kinect was a failure in every measure except for sales, Microsoft sold a shitload of those things. Sure in a year they sat covered in dust in the back of a tv stand next to a Wii, but what mattered is people bought them.

I think they put SDK's for the new Kinect, but I haven't really followed what is going on with that thing, I'm not even sure you can buy them separate yet.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Giving e/n a special Tiny Brontosaurus Pointless Slapfight Quarantine Thread was not enough. Every subforum should have one.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

We were talking about the way people in the late '90s viewed computers and the roots of their ignorance about them, actually, and you're the only one who is obsessed with limiting the discussion to solely the year 1999 (as if this year took place in a vacuum, and the "y2k virus" was never discussed prior to that nor by people whose lives and interactions with computers had been During The Years Leading Up To 1999)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Cleretic posted:

Nintendo opened a Pandora's Box of attempted rip-offs with the Wii. The Miis had the same effect as the motion controls; XBox Live avatars and Playstation Home tried and failed to draw that one in.

It's really only Nintendo that can do stuff like that, and it's because they can still assure quality. Their first-party games will use their gimmick in the way they intended, usually doing quite well with it (as well as can be expected, at least), while also being a good game. The Playstation/Xbox big titles are things that other companies make, so they'll rarely be as willing to incorporate the peripheral, and quality of both the game and the integration will be less consistent. Really, without Wii Sports and Twilight Princess showing people both 'motion controls should work like this' and 'motion controls won't get in the way of us making what you want from us' the Wii would have failed too.

The only other company that's managed to do similar is Valve, and they often do it the other way around. They use TF2 and Dota 2 to test possible new meta-game features, and then incorporate it into Steam as a whole if it works. That way, when other developers get their hands on it, they've seen how to make it work and can follow suit.

To be fair, the Wii was also the dumping ground for lovely bargain bin games, and I can't name a third-party title on the Wii anywhere that made good use of motion controls off the top of my head.

Also, Microsoft released an SDK for Kinect on Windows that is intended for actual business use. For one thing, I've seen it used in a FIRST Robotics competition as an alternate control scheme for the robots.