Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

Can anyone recommend a game for the PC Like pokemon, but more number crunchy / harder? Preferrably with multiplayer and an active community of some sort. Bonus points if I can get boosts of some sort by playing it on my phone.

Kinda like Smash Bros, Pokemon is the only thing kinda like Pokemon that is at all good. Anything else like pokemon is pretty much worse.

Things kinda like Pokemon: Shin Megami Tensei, World of Warcraft, and Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Pokemon itself is just a sub-set of RPGs though, so maybe just find yourself a nice good JRPG?

Sadly JRPGs aren't really on PC in general. FFXIII-2 just came out on steam though.

You only real bet is World of Warcraft's pet battles game-inside-a-game, which requires a monthly fee. :shrug: That or some blatant pokemon knockoffs that are really low quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't play WoW for pet battles unless you have trouble sleeping because it is a snorefest.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Could have stopped here.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mordja posted:

I know the emphasis has been on Open World (tm) for a while now, but any good, linear FPS games come out for PC in the past two or three years? Excluding Wolfenstein: NO, the Metro games and Shadow Warrior, but kind of in that vein.

It's a little older than you are asking for but Bulletstorm is fun as hell.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I recently got the Humble Star Wars bundle and one game stood out to me because it made me realize how much I wanted to play a game like it. Star Wars Starfighter is a port of a PS2 game where you fly space ships and shoot lasers. Unfortunately, the game suffers from being a port with little thought put into it. The game can't decide which resolution to run on, the default (and only) controls are poo poo, and even if you through all that, the game itself is meh. However, it did make me realize how much I wanted to play a flying game.

Basically, I'm looking for a 3D flying action game with dynamic flying controls, preferably in some sort of interesting sci-fi setting or something more dynamic than Ace Combat's environments.. As much as I love Star Fox, I'm looking for flying that's a little more involved, as in I could fly the whole mission upside down if I wish. There's probably a term for it, but I have no clue what it is.
I would prefer something on PC and modern enough where it hasn't aged super poorly. I feel like there's got to be something out there that meets this criteria.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I recommend Tachyon: The Fringe, also has the bonus of the main character being voiced by Bruce Campbell.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I recommend Tachyon: The Fringe, also has the bonus of the main character being voiced by Bruce Campbell.

Googling it, it looks really good! Will check out. Thanks!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Jellymouth posted:

So I recently got the Humble Star Wars bundle and one game stood out to me because it made me realize how much I wanted to play a game like it. Star Wars Starfighter is a port of a PS2 game where you fly space ships and shoot lasers. Unfortunately, the game suffers from being a port with little thought put into it. The game can't decide which resolution to run on, the default (and only) controls are poo poo, and even if you through all that, the game itself is meh. However, it did make me realize how much I wanted to play a flying game.

Basically, I'm looking for a 3D flying action game with dynamic flying controls, preferably in some sort of interesting sci-fi setting or something more dynamic than Ace Combat's environments.. As much as I love Star Fox, I'm looking for flying that's a little more involved, as in I could fly the whole mission upside down if I wish. There's probably a term for it, but I have no clue what it is.
I would prefer something on PC and modern enough where it hasn't aged super poorly. I feel like there's got to be something out there that meets this criteria.

If you can stomach F2P MMO in your flying game, Warthunder is WWII planes & tanks (ships coming eventually) and you are perfectly free to stick to planes entirely. Free's a good price, and it's not as p2w or grindy as World Of Tanks/WarPlanes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jellymouth posted:

They're far more involved games but I recommend Freelancer or the slightly more modern Darkstar One. They're open world mercantile style games but the combat is the center of attention and really good. They're more arcadey than sim-like and better for it.

The best part about space games is they usually age extremely well since there's so little to render.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Jellymouth posted:

Now I'm left wondering how well Crimson Skies has aged.

…holy poo poo, that game's 15 years old at this point? :stare:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been playing Dinasty Warriors for a bit, and it has reminded me that the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series exist. Any idea what is the best one/where should I start with?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been playing Dinasty Warriors for a bit, and it has reminded me that the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series exist. Any idea what is the best one/where should I start with?

Just get the latest one on Steam :thumbsup: Its a good'un. DW8 XXXXL XTREEEME EDITION MT DEW HARDCORE REMIX comes with more content than you'll know what to do with. And its got the latest gameplay improvements and graphics doohickeys.

Jellymouth posted:

The best flight game on PC right now is War Thunder, so that's your best bet if you can stomach WWII flying instead of pewpew lazorz.

If you really want lazorz, I'd get something like X-WING VS TIE FIGHTER. Its loving old as hell, but god drat they don't make them like they used to.

Star Fox is a "barrel shooter" or a "rails shooter" (Along with games like Panzer Dragoon Orta) while what you're describing sounds more like a straight up dogfighting game.

If you're a supersperg you can play things like Microsoft Flight Sim or IL-2 or whatever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 18, 2015

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
What are some games that employ branching class systems as you level up? For example, Everquest 2 (at launch) had you choose twice, once at level 10 and again at 20 (I think). An example would be choose Priest at level 1, then Druid at Level 10, then Fury at Level 20.

I enjoy these games because of how simple they start and complex they end. In early game groups, you only had 4 classes to worry about, but by the end game there was 24.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

joshtothemaxx posted:

What are some games that employ branching class systems as you level up? For example, Everquest 2 (at launch) had you choose twice, once at level 10 and again at 20 (I think). An example would be choose Priest at level 1, then Druid at Level 10, then Fury at Level 20.

I enjoy these games because of how simple they start and complex they end. In early game groups, you only had 4 classes to worry about, but by the end game there was 24.

Final Fantasy Tactics is the quintessential example.

There's unfortunately not a ton, I agree its a pretty cool RPG mechanic.

I think Tabula Rasa had something like that? :shrug:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3 is one of the few single player games I know that does this; your characters start with a base class and can be upgraded twice through the game down either the dark or light path. It's not super involved but some of the stat/spell/tech loadouts are kind of fun.

For example, Duran begins as your standard fighter and can upgrade along the light path, which gives him the ability to use shields and basic healing magic, or the dark path, which allows him to become a magic swordsman and deal a lot of damage by enhancing his attacks with elements enemies are weak to.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Titan Quest has an interesting class system.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

joshtothemaxx posted:

The newer Fire Emblem games do exactly this with promoting units. You can end up with some incredibly bizarre and overpowered combinations, especially in Awakening, where you pair characters up and their time-travelling magic babies (I can't remember, honestly) will inherit their skills and classes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. The two pillars of every Romance game are officers and combat but each one specializes in a different area. Romance X is a simulation game where you can customize practically every aspect of the game world and live out the life of an officer. If you like the visual novel aspects of Crusader Kings or King of Dragon Pass this game is the strongest in that regard but features the weakest combat. On the opposite end of the spectrum is Romance XI which is entirely combat but officers and city management are only important for how well they lead and fight.

IMO if you're looking into Romance for its combat then wait for Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires or the Bladestorm remake.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

joshtothemaxx posted:

Star Wars: The Old Republic does this, kinda. There's four base classes, and each of them branch off into two seperate classes. Or you don't have to branch off at all and just remain the base class, but that's just to look cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

Star Fox is a "barrel shooter" or a "rails shooter" (Along with games like Panzer Dragoon Orta)

Can you name more of these? Star Fox 64 is one of my favorite games, but I haven't played anything like that as cool as that game was. The closest thing I've found also happens to be Star Wars: The Old Republic.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 19, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Star Wars: The Old Republic does this, kinda. There's four base classes, and each of them branch off into two seperate classes. Or you don't have to branch off at all and just remain the base class, but that's just to look cool.

Can you name more of these? Star Fox 64 is one of my favorite games, but I haven't played anything like that as cool as that game was. The closest thing I've found also happens to be Star Wars: The Old Republic.

It's kind of a rare genre. Check out Rez, Sin & Punishment, Omega Boost, and Child of Eden.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any survival or life simulation or base building games that can be played with two or more players? Don't Starve Together is essentially exactly what I'm looking for, but I want something to fill the time until it comes out. I would be delighted with something like Wurm too, but Wurm is waaaaay to grindy. Actually, I would enjoy Wurm if I could just set the stupid grind actions to repeat without me having to click the button every 10 seconds.

We've played Minecraft. It was fun but we're ready to move on to something else.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The tricky part is lots of people call them "rail shooters", but "rail shooters" also apply to games like Area 51. So that's why the term "barrel shooter" exists, but not many use it.

That I can think of:

Star Fox (Snes, N64, Assault, 3D), Panzer Dragoon (Saga, Orta, etc.), half of Kid Icarus Uprising, Sin and Punishment (N64 / Wii), Rez, Child of Eden, Star Wars rebel assault, and the space missions of SWTOR.

I know there's a few more I'm forgetting, but not a ton.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Time for my annual check for the latest in good couch-coop games. There are three of us and we would like to play games together toward a common goal. Platform doesn't matter as long as it's not Xbox One (don't got it).

Games we have played and enjoyed: Diablo 3, Awesomenauts, Dungeon Defenders, Black Ops 2 (split screen against bots), Guardian of Light, Trine 2, and the Rayman games. Also Nintendoland, which was pretty fun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations for games on PC or ps3 that are similar to SOCOM 4 and MAG, and are single player.

Features would include
-gamepad use for pc
-third person, ability to switch to 1st through button press or through use of specific weapon attachments
-customizable attachments on a selection of modern, real weapons
-ability to command a squad like SOCOM
-short levels or quick saves or good short checkpoints so i can drop in and out quickly

The only internet i have is tethered through my phone so online only games are right out. Online games WITH BOTS are okay, though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Danger Mahoney posted:

@
Time for my annual check for the latest in good couch-coop games. There are three of us and we would like to play games together toward a common goal. Platform doesn't matter as long as it's not Xbox One (don't got it).

Games we have played and enjoyed: Diablo 3, Awesomenauts, Dungeon Defenders, Black Ops 2 (split screen against bots), Guardian of Light, Trine 2, and the Rayman games. Also Nintendoland, which was pretty fun.

You might like Tales of Vesperia(mp combats) or Castle crashers. Umm, there's also a bunch of games similar to Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, and Dungeon Siege 3 which may support 3 players, but I'm not sure. I know there are no good couch coops for Xbox One and I haven't heard of any for the PS4.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

As for recent releases:

Ever tried Monster Hunter? Its pretty drat good co-op times, although its not for everybody. Also 3DS only but you did say platform wasn't important. (Well, 4U is 3DS only, 3U is on WiiU or 3DS and some are on PSP)

Evolve is pretty good, similar to Left4Dead mixed with some Godzilla action. There's a chance the community could fizzle so if you do get it, I'd get it at the $45 discounted price at GMG. That said I'm having a lot of fun with it, and its definitely structured around co-op.

LLSix posted:

You might like Tales of Vesperia(mp combats) or Castle crashers. Umm, there's also a bunch of games similar to Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, and Dungeon Siege 3 which may support 3 players, but I'm not sure. I know there are no good couch coops for Xbox One and I haven't heard of any for the PS4.

Castle Crashers is getting pretty old by this point. And while it is good co-op action, its also mindlessly repetitive. I really wish it had more depth.

There are a lot of games similar to Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Dungeon Siege 3, such as Diablo which he already mentioned :downs: Diablo is pretty much the best of its category, so I wouldn't really recommend more of the same. If you really want that, there's Torchlight and Path of Exile but I think he wants some variety.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 20, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

Are you telling me you and your friends haven't played any of the 3D Super Mario games?

Towerfall has a quest mode that needs at least two players to unlock most of the stuff.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
So I'm having a badly needing scratching itch for simulation games. Preferably something web based, but phone/tablet could be okay too. I've already played most all of the kairosfot games to death, but I'm also looking for some good ol tycoon games of the old days. Life sim stuff could also be cool, I read about alter ego a few pages back but the website is pretty much dead and the app was cool but I'm pretty unhappy with it now as I ran into a bug and I doubt it'll ever get fixed. I will admit this need has been partly sparked by the new LP of The Movies though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Rollercoaster Tycoon is a classic and the series is on both on Steam and GOG, 3 being the best one if you love sandbox mode.

There's also Prison Architect.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Theme Hospital is currently free on Origin. You may also want to check out https://github.com/CorsixTH/CorsixTH/wiki/Getting-Started

CorsixTH is an open source reimplementation of the game like what OpenTTD is for Transport Tycoon.

The Movies is very similar to Kairosoft games. Build a movie studio, hire crew and actors, produce movies.

Evil Genius is a game where you are a sixties James Bond villain and have a secret underground base with henchmen. Get a widescreen patch for it.

These are all old games, but they should be cheap.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

64bitrobot posted:

So I'm having a badly needing scratching itch for simulation games. Preferably something web based, but phone/tablet could be okay too. I've already played most all of the kairosfot games to death, but I'm also looking for some good ol tycoon games of the old days. Life sim stuff could also be cool, I read about alter ego a few pages back but the website is pretty much dead and the app was cool but I'm pretty unhappy with it now as I ran into a bug and I doubt it'll ever get fixed. I will admit this need has been partly sparked by the new LP of The Movies though.

Anno 1404 or Anno 2070 depending upon if you prefer historical or sci-fi.

The Sims is your classic life sim game. I'd get 3 over the new one.

Seconding Evil Genius and Rollercoaster Tycoon. (RCT2 was the best)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

(RCT2 was the best)

Only if you've already beat RCT1. RCT2 has more content so it's more fun to play around with once you've already figured the game out, but RCT1 is more restrained and has much better campaign scenarios so it's a better introduction to the series. RCT is definitely my all time favourite build and manage sim series.

DuWay
Apr 23, 2007
boom, boom, boom, boom, i want you in my room.
This is vague going to be vague, sorry! Don't have a real grasp of what I "want."

Basically, online game with big-ish co-op and/or versus. Best example I can think of are the game modes in Gary's Mod. I already know of CS, TF2, L4D, etc. I also play Awesomenauts and find that fun, if that helps.

Guess it might help if I say it helps if it is a "drop in" game wherein you don't need to level up or anything first. (E.g. I like sports games, but I'm limited to PC)

DuWay fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 24, 2015

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
How is RCT3? I've been sitting on it forever and been eyeing it this week but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Shab posted:

How is RCT3? I've been sitting on it forever and been eyeing it this week but haven't taken the plunge yet.
As I said RCT3 is the best one if you play RCT for the sandbox.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shab posted:

The graphics are still really good. It's also 100% a PC game, no hand holding or UI streamlining, there's menus all over the fuckin place. For the record I think this is a good thing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Shab posted:

I recently tried to revisit RCT3 as I had an RCT scratch to itch. I had enough issues with the UI and controls, particularly with roller coaster building, that I just gave up on it and installed RCT2 instead. If you're not used to the classics then RCT3 is probably a lot easier to get in to, but it doesn't have that Chris Sawyer charm at all. RCT2 with expansions is the best sandbox RCT in my opinion.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm looking for a co-op game that my friend with an old PC can play with me. We've stuck with dungeon crawlers so far: Torchlight 2 and D3. I know her graphics card is old but she can run skyrim. Basically I want something that we can play casually (once a week) but also sink a lot of time into. I don't think she can run borderlands for some reason.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Momohime Katsumi posted:

I'm looking for a co-op game that my friend with an old PC can play with me. We've stuck with dungeon crawlers so far: Torchlight 2 and D3. I know her graphics card is old but she can run skyrim. Basically I want something that we can play casually (once a week) but also sink a lot of time into. I don't think she can run borderlands for some reason.

Saints Row 3 and 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Momohime Katsumi posted:

I've been playing Dark Souls 2 with a couple of friends, and we've been having a blast. That game might be a little too graphically intense for her PC though, so you could always try the original Dark Souls, which ran alright on my laptop. I was able to run Skyrim on that same laptop if that helps.