Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So I've never owned a 3DS. What is the memory card used for? Do people normally get larger cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Wildtortilla posted:

Do you remove them with that stiff piece of plastic that came with the protectors? I think I still have that.

I used a needle to pry a corner off and just peeled it from there. Again, gotta be quick.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

So I've never owned a 3DS. What is the memory card used for? Do people normally get larger cards?

The SD or MicroSD card is used for storing digital game downloads and saves and everything else. If you're thinking of buying more than a few digital games you should probably get like a 16 Gb one.

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
Should have a New 3DS by Friday and was wondering if Bravely Default and Luigi's Mansion are worth getting. Played the first LM waaayyy back in the day when GCN launched and enjoyed it despite its brevity.

Just wanted to know if the 3DS game was basically more of the same.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm digging these 3D Classics, but some are definitely beer than others. Heres some quick opinions, any more out that I'd like? Any news on any others coming out soon?

Kirby's Adventure: Looks great, fantastic game, and the short levels work perfect on a portable system.
Urban Champion: Looks fantastic, the giant sprites really pop.
Sonic: 3D didn't really add much.
Kid Icarus: Looks great if you like the original.
Xevious: 3D looks great and really adds to the sky/ground mechanic. I wish I had more arcade games on this.
Space Harrier: Looks and plays great, but don't use the screen shake gimmick. That was an instant headache.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This Charming Man posted:

Should have a New 3DS by Friday and was wondering if Bravely Default and Luigi's Mansion are worth getting. Played the first LM waaayyy back in the day when GCN launched and enjoyed it despite its brevity.

3DS LM is pretty much more of the same but it's good if you can find it on the cheap.

Bravely Default is the best Final Fantasy game not named Final Fantasy. Haven't gotten far in it but it does get a bit repetitive towards the end. Good time though if you like RPGs.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rofl who bought epsilon that title

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Another thing to note about Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is that the game is broken up into different missions, so you're never exploring the mansion completely in one sitting. You get dropped into a certain spot and get told to do a certain thing and you're done once you accomplish it, kinda like how Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker is compared to the other Metal Gear games. If that turns you off, then you probably shouldn't get it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This Charming Man posted:

LM on the 3DS is more "mission" based- you get turned loose to complete a specific objective, usually within a specific set of rooms in one of the four mini-mansions. I didn't wind up liking it as much as the first one because the exploration element didn't really feel like it was there as in the first on on the GC, but if you just want more of the same sort of gameplay it definitely delivers that handily. I would at least check it out.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are most people still comfortable using max 3D on the 3DS homescreens with the New 3DS? I'm finding that max 3D isn't comfortable, but about 35% is perfect and the super-stable 3D is impressive.

I just want to know if I'm defective.

Thanks.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Vinlaen posted:

Are most people still comfortable using max 3D on the 3DS homescreens with the New 3DS? I'm finding that max 3D isn't comfortable, but about 35% is perfect and the super-stable 3D is impressive.

Thanks.

I use anywhere from 25% to 75% with just above 50% the norm.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks.

Your eyes are not defective. Neither is your system. :shobon:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's ok, Nintendo's 3D slider is designed to accommodate eyes of all sorts, so you can best feel comfortable playing at whatever depth you prefer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Has anybody bought used 3DS games from Gamestop online? Did it come loose or in a case? I doubt it did, but it'd be nice.

e: :lol: mail just came. Generic black case. Bummer.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 18, 2015

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Phew. Thanks! :)

I think it's confusing because the 3DS tells you to turn the depth slider to maximum during the calibration and initial setup so it seems like max depth is how it's meant to be played (tm).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks.

The slider is a morality detector. You are 35% a good person.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

MaxDuo posted:

How many are having issues? I noticed a post or two about it in the past page, but it seemed 3-4 days ago people were also posting that it had no issue with glasses. Is it just something maybe screwed up by the style/shape of the glasses and/or lighting conditions with them?

I never had an original 3DS so I don't really have a reference point, but I wear (pretty thick) glasses and the face tracking seems to have a hard time with me. The red light next to the camera is pretty much always on, and I get persistent double images unless I hold it perfectly steady right in front of me. Definitely not the effortless experience I expected, but it's still cool as gently caress.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Soul Glo posted:

Has anybody bought used 3DS games from Gamestop online? Did it come loose or in a case? I doubt it did, but it'd be nice.

Yes. Came in a blank white case.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I've had it come with a generic case most of the time, but one time it came packaged in a little slip.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've given up on getting a N3DS this century, and instead ordered a circle pad pro for my OG XL. Should be getting here tomorrow.

Question, on the CPP the right stick is actually another circle pad, but what is it on the N3DSXL? It looks like one of those mouse clit nub thingies you get on IBM ThinkPads, is that the case?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

It looks like one of those mouse clit nub thingies you get on IBM ThinkPads, is that the case?

That's pretty much it.It works but that's it for the most.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I've given up on getting a N3DS this century, and instead ordered a circle pad pro for my OG XL. Should be getting here tomorrow.

Question, on the CPP the right stick is actually another circle pad, but what is it on the N3DSXL? It looks like one of those mouse clit nub thingies you get on IBM ThinkPads, is that the case?

Yes but reports are it works better then those. Don't know why they didn't add another full pad which would work even betterer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Skeezy posted:

I've had it come with a generic case most of the time, but one time it came packaged in a little slip.

Yeah I got a blank black one. Might buy a cheapo complete game and hit up cover project.

e: someone beat this copy of OOT, and there are three Master Quest files all named Mr. Butts. Neat.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Ciaphas posted:

That's pretty much exactly what it is. It feels weird at first, but I got used to it really quickly and now have no trouble with extremely precise aiming in Snake Eater.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Monkey Fracas posted:

LM on the 3DS is more "mission" based- you get turned loose to complete a specific objective, usually within a specific set of rooms in one of the four mini-mansions. I didn't wind up liking it as much as the first one because the exploration element didn't really feel like it was there as in the first on on the GC, but if you just want more of the same sort of gameplay it definitely delivers that handily. I would at least check it out.

Isn't the multiplayer like Pac-Man Vs? I heard that from somebody at some point, and it's enough to sell me on that so I don't have to go hunting for a copy of Namco Museum DS.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes but reports are it works better then those. Don't know why they didn't add another full pad which would work even betterer.

I suspect they figured that since more games use the face buttons than the second analog control, they wanted to keep the face buttons in the prime position rather than moving them down where they'd be slightly less comfortable.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Because they can save the second full pad for the ~true 3DS successor~ and people will buy it right up.

^^^ Also that, unless loads of games start using second pad control it's just a waste.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Hmm, so I hit the first stopping point of running out of lives and having to wait in Pokemon Shuffle. It's a cool game, I guess, but it very much feels like someone at Nintendo was like "Hey we need one of those free to play matching games too." Adding Pokemon doesn't make it feel any more unique or compelling than any of the other endless supply of free to play matching games out there already.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

io_burn posted:

Hmm, so I hit the first stopping point of running out of lives and having to wait in Pokemon Shuffle. It's a cool game, I guess, but it very much feels like someone at Nintendo was like "Hey we need one of those free to play matching games too." Adding Pokemon doesn't make it feel any more unique or compelling than any of the other endless supply of free to play matching games out there already.

Nintendo could easily go into the app stores with games like these but they never will. I have no idea.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: the mechanism for the Circle Pad takes up the entire thickness of the 3DS. A full Right Circle Pad would take up space for the battery and/or other internals, in addition to aesthetic and ergonomic issues.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Because they can save the second full pad for the ~true 3DS successor~ and people will buy it right up.

^^^ Also that, unless loads of games start using second pad control it's just a waste.

Well they would probably use it if it existed.

Also, I have that feeling about the true successor and am torn on getting this model or riding out my xl. I'd love a proper duel analog setup and some improved graphics. It's 2015 and we're sitting between an n64 and a GameCube here.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Well they would probably use it if it existed.

Also, I have that feeling about the true successor and am torn on getting this model or riding out my xl. I'd love a proper duel analog setup and some improved graphics. It's 2015 and we're sitting between an n64 and a GameCube here.

If I already had a regular XL and missed my chance to trade in at Gamestop for a $100 N3DS I probably wouldn't have done the upgrade. It does feel a lot like the DSi and all, but I was jumping from the regular 3DS so I wanted to get my big screens back.

I don't really remember when the DSi came out, was it as difficult to get a DSi as it is for these New 3DS'?

(I do remember a green DSi coming out to the states and I'm very disappointed that a green N3DS doesn't exist)

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Skeezy posted:

Nintendo could easily go into the app stores with games like these but they never will. I have no idea.

They are a publicly traded company and eventually their investors will get fed up with them continuing to ignore mobile platforms. It's weird. I understand them not wanting to bring original first party poo poo to mobile, as admittedly the need for a 3DS is greatly diminished if we lived in some insane universe where Majora's Mask was on the App Store... But what I don't understand is why they're not farting out their virtual console stuff. Remember, some dude released a totally non-functional scam app labeled Pokemon Yellow. It hit #2, and was filled with iTunes reviews of people who were buying it knowing it didn't work just with the hope that it'd one day get updated.

That's a thing that actually happened.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I guess it just depends how many N3DS-only games they wind up actually releasing. Can't see why someone would make a game for a system with a much smaller install base than the OG 3DS platform that only comes with seemingly minimal graphical/memory upgrades.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Canned Panda posted:

I decided to get Monster Hunter 4 last night.

I have no idea what's going on yet (I haven't really had much of a chance to play it yet either), but I love having this smug bastard as my hunter

Wait til you get to some of the close-up cutscenes. I didn't pick that face but I picked the one with the smile and the closed eyes and I look like a serial killer or something. It's fantastic.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

io_burn posted:

They are a publicly traded company and eventually their investors will get fed up with them continuing to ignore mobile platforms. It's weird. I understand them not wanting to bring original first party poo poo to mobile, as admittedly the need for a 3DS is greatly diminished if we lived in some insane universe where Majora's Mask was on the App Store... But what I don't understand is why they're not farting out their virtual console stuff. Remember, some dude released a totally non-functional scam app labeled Pokemon Yellow. It hit #2, and was filled with iTunes reviews of people who were buying it knowing it didn't work just with the hope that it'd one day get updated.

That's a thing that actually happened.

I'd imagine Nintendo would probably make mobile games using characters they have. So while VC games or Majora's Mask on the App Store might not happen, something like Pokemon Shuffle would make sense on the store. The Puzzle and Dragon's Mario Game could work on a phone if they themselves published it or something.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess it just depends how many N3DS-only games they wind up actually releasing. Can't see why someone would make a game for a system with a much smaller install base than the OG 3DS platform that only comes with seemingly minimal graphical/memory upgrades.

Agreed, I can see some improved games. But I doubt they will launch a flagship title that a fraction of the used base can't play.

4ds will be backwards compatability though, with amiibo support from the start

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm more interested in n3DS enhancements than exclusives. CPP (and ZL/ZR) support, better texture quality, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like the New 3DS will do a lot better than the DSi ever did but I kinda hope Nintendo announces a lot more of these exclusive N3DS games. But I see why the next major Mario game on the 3DS may not be exclusive to the N3DS.