Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Cubo
Dec 14, 2013
The ultimate Mechwarrior experience. Someone posted this video on reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkA6HiNzD48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

garth ferengi posted:

My body is ready

This made me giggle and now I want some video of this in action

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

It is a good day for streak crows.

RolandIsNotOkay
Jun 7, 2014

Number19 posted:

I do wear my Bad Company title in game if that makes you feel better in any way.

This is why I like you :golfclap:

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
So while it seems obvious to take 2 ERPPC's on the panther 10k, don't. It runs way too hot, take one and some SRMs instead. I've been giving streaks a try and it is pretty cool to be able to hit lights through their warp drive.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Strobe posted:

So am I just getting hideously unlucky in solopub with my team comp? I don't think I've seen Narc happen more than once or twice in fifteen or thirty games. It's weird. And a little aggravating, having a missile boat and having to step out and trade damage with the laughably superior long range sniping weapons in order to do anything.

don't use LRMs.

garth ferengi posted:

My body is ready

looking forward to the screenshot where you do like 3500 damage in one CW match with this, the perfect drop deck

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Strobe posted:

So am I just getting hideously unlucky in solopub with my team comp? I don't think I've seen Narc happen more than once or twice in fifteen or thirty games. It's weird. And a little aggravating, having a missile boat and having to step out and trade damage with the laughably superior long range sniping weapons in order to do anything.

Narc is pretty rare. Pubbies are bad at keeping locks because pressing r while shooting is too hard.

You're more likely to get targets in the team queue, especially since people actually place UAVs in good spots most of the time.

Don't forget your tag laser.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Strobe posted:

Please source your quotes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How many TFF goons do we have up in here, anyhow?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A.o.D. posted:

How many TFF goons do we have up in here, anyhow?

Not enough.

El Cubo posted:

The ultimate Mechwarrior experience. Someone posted this video on reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkA6HiNzD48

Just decided to watch this despite the reddit and I was amused, but I was sad that there was no comedy at the end. What game mode was that match? There were no bases or points to capture.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Feindfeuer posted:

I just got reminded how terrible the MWO installer is, I accidently deleted the MWO folder as it was sitting in one of my trash-game folder that I was cleaning out. As I didn't properly uninstall it the installer bitched when I tried to ran a re-install... uninstalling is not an option as that buggs out with the same error message as the actuall installer. A quick google search reveals that you'll have to manually clear your registry if you accidently wipe your MWO folder without a propper uninstall. :psyduck:

It feels like I'm back in the late 90s, trying to handle terrible Win 95/98 installers.

You install applications to something other than Program Files and then manually go looking for files to delete instead of using Add/Remove Programs? Yeah, no surprise you feel like you're in the 90s.

Grynos
Jan 14, 2015

teepo posted:

i just spotted this in the subreddit

http://www.mwoln.com/

maybe i should give comp mwo a try

I am curious to see what PGI's plan is with Solaris.. Because I could picture Solaris being something similar to this.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If you run lrms, you need to have your own cap/bap and either a targetting computer or command module. I wreck poo poo with my lrms, but then again I play a 4x10 timbo and carry enough lrms to kill at least 5 people solo.

El Cubo
Dec 14, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Just decided to watch this despite the reddit and I was amused, but I was sad that there was no comedy at the end. What game mode was that match? There were no bases or points to capture.

Skirmish.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

El Cubo posted:

Skirmish.

Gotchya. I'm guessing that is a newer mode that gets rid of bases entirely, or is that where you can do custom games?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Bort Bortles posted:

Gotchya. I'm guessing that is a newer mode that gets rid of bases entirely, or is that where you can do custom games?

Yeah, it's basically just straight 12v12, as opposed to 12v12 with some incidental objectives.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah, it's basically just straight 12v12, as opposed to 12v12 with some incidental objectives.

Speaking of which, they need to make the Conquest score matter a lot more. "Just grab 2 and then deathball" should not be the winning strategy for take and hold.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Bort Bortles posted:

Skirmish is the oldest game mode, if you've not seen it before you might have opted out of it.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Elliotw2 posted:

Skirmish is the oldest game mode, if you've not seen it before you might have opted out of it.

Assault was actually the first non-CW game mode. It was followed by Conquest and then Skirmish.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Hey Washout, when do you think you're going to start running that CW thing you mentioned? I like your style of robutting and would like to play with halfway competent people who at the very least listen to the yell bosses calls.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Hey Washout, when do you think you're going to start running that CW thing you mentioned? I like your style of robutting and would like to play with halfway competent people who at the very least listen to the yell bosses calls.

Seconded.

One thing I think we need to work on is making sure we get the maximum number of people shooting at a target at once. Teams that stomp us tend to all crest the hill at the same time, whereas we trickle in.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

Seconded.

One thing I think we need to work on is making sure we get the maximum number of people shooting at a target at once. Teams that stomp us tend to all crest the hill at the same time, whereas we trickle in.

Yeah. Coordinated movement is very important, especially against high alpha damage teams, but it can be quite difficult to pull off when you play with people who don't give a gently caress/don't have a mic/headphones/are distracted. Between that and the absence of people shooting or calling out a primary target, I would say they are the biggest things holding us back from stomping pubs like we used to back in the day, at least for the non-CW drops. :corsair:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
No, there are quite a few things holding us back. First we don't all take good builds when we are pubbing. People are working on eliteing or trying new builds usually. Secondly goons are poors so we don't all use arty strikes and air strikes. So in order to win when solo pubbing in big groups we would need to be nazies about what robots people were taking (mostly clan mechs or highly quirked IS mechs) and secondly everyone would need to start spending cash more willy nilly dropping those strikes all over the place. Finally you need to drop heavy, make sure that the assault and heavy slots are filled with really good builds is important too. But instead we take a lot of gargoyles, awesomes, or illyia muromets.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 18, 2015

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Number19 posted:

Assault was actually the first non-CW game mode. It was followed by Conquest and then Skirmish.

Easy mistake to make, honestly, most Assaults resulted into a Skirmish back in the day anyway.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Washout posted:

illyia muromets.

What is wrong with the Marmoset? Those torso energy slots were the tits back before ghost heat killed the game.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
goons have an aversion towards heavy and assault mechs. you won't start seeing those slots filled until after then 8th man.

though i haven't dropped with you guys in awhile, so maybe things have changed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teepo posted:

goons have an aversion towards heavy and assault mechs. you won't start seeing those slots filled until after then 8th man.

though i haven't dropped with you guys in awhile, so maybe things have changed.

We tend not to take the best meta assault builds.

Which is too bad, there are plenty of fun ones out there. Lasedrill Stalker, Dakka Banshee, Truckernaught if you really want the ECM, etc.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Getting spawn camped on Sulfurous Rift is one of the most frustrating things.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Pattonesque posted:

We tend not to take the best meta assault builds.

Which is too bad, there are plenty of fun ones out there. Lasedrill Stalker, Dakka Banshee, Truckernaught if you really want the ECM, etc.

Ghost Dad is bad, although I've a new respect for the Raven-3L so if we had 2-3 of those it would be alright too.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
real talk, nobody needs ecm

and quirks and bap changes have made the raven-3l irrelevant imo

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Used to. Heavies are the spots fought for now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The AC/20 + PPC King Crab is my favourite mech right now, personally.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Omg 3AC5 3LL banshee is pretty amazing.

teepo posted:

Still good at hiding and peeking with 2 ERLL.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

teepo posted:

Nobody needs ECM if nobody brings LRM's, sure. But against non-meta pub groups, you're going to get rained on really hard by coordinated LRMs in CW.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

Omg 3AC5 3LL banshee is pretty amazing.

Still good at hiding and peeking with 2 ERLL.

Me, Washout, and a few other goons were playing with the ERLL build and it is hilariously good. Its arm weapons are mounted really high and off to the extreme right side of it's torso, so it can peek and poke at long ranges with impunity. It has relative immunity from LRM's at the ranges it should be poking at, and is hard to track down exactly where it is due to its ECM.

Its main weakness is that its relatively terrible against other lights at close range, so you've got to kite mechs like fire starters to keep them out of their range or try to drag them into your mediums and heavies, as once they're close you are done for, unless you are a god damned machine with precisely keeping your lasers on the same part of the target

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

What a day and age to be alive where dragons are one of the most competitive IS heavies.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Westy! :haw:

Finally give up on tanks?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
The ER Large -3L is a p. good choice all-around and is capable of really ruining an opposing robot's day. Pick a component you know is important (the AC/5 arm on a Dragon-1N, a Banshee-3E's left torso) and keep dumping alphas into it from a range where they have a lot of trouble hitting you, win gaem.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

The ER Large -3L is a p. good choice all-around and is capable of really ruining an opposing robot's day. Pick a component you know is important (the AC/5 arm on a Dragon-1N, a Banshee-3E's left torso) and keep dumping alphas into it from a range where they have a lot of trouble hitting you, win gaem.

When I'm the last robot left on hpg manifold I usually run around outside of the main arena and poke around. Infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Strobe posted:

Westy! :haw:

Finally give up on tanks?

I stopped playing that terrible game years ago, just after they put physics in. Supposedly they improved it but... :suicide:

Speaking of tanks, Russ said recently that they're beginning work on AI. Maybe we'll finally get an ingame tutorial for new players!

• Locked thread