Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ha, Howard Stark is basically a war criminal just on the grounds of keeping all this poo poo around in what is apparently a laughably unsecure vault. This is making me more and more glad that Bucky probably killed him as one of his winter soldier missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know one thing I like about the show's aesthetic (and am going to miss) is just how dark it gets. It'll be rolling along all light hearted, and then feature scenes of people gouging each other's eyes out and exploding. And yet, it doesn't feel insane.

The flies around the corpse of that dentists were especially harsh for a show like this. Except for the CSI's where it's a crucial part of the plot they never show such ugly things that happen when people die.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Katreus posted:

Working out this timeline...

Stark invents a weapon that is used on Russian soldiers at the battle of Finow. There's a massive cover-up as to what really happened at the battle. This leads to Stark having a what-have-I-done moment and he basically breaks off weapon sales to the US military. The US military is, to probably put it mildly, displeased.

Leviathan, as a covert Russian intelligence agency, knows that something new was used on their soldiers and presumably after some intelligence gathering, figures out that Stark has some new weapon and that this new weapon is in his vault of undesirable inventions. They send one of their agents, Leet Brannis, to break into Stark's vault and steal his weapons. Unfortunately for Leviathan, Leet Brannis ends up deciding to go his own way and starts selling Stark's inventions on the black market for his own profit. He hires Jerome Zandow to guard the boat full of Stark weapons while he sells the rest. He finds Van Ert and works out a profit-sharing partnership where Brannis supplies the formula and Van Ert makes the Nitramene bombs. Then, Brannis finds buyers in people like Spider Raymond (and others).

Good so far, but one glaring problem - Dotti the handcuff killer.

They found out about her because she seduced Stark and tracked her via the bracelet he gave her. So she was involved from the start.

Something just doesn't add up about this. There's no way someone like Stark would build his super vault directly above a sewer large enough to fit a boat and have no backup for its security systems.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Hrm. It would work if Dottie was sent to distract Howard for Brannis and acquire information / case his joint. When Howard disappears, she is later retasked to Carter as the new lead. It would explain how she's in the area so quickly because she's already there but probably took some time to arrange an opening near Carter.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
I've really enjoyed this series, it's a shame people don't seem to be watching it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know one thing I like about the show's aesthetic (and am going to miss) is just how dark it gets. It'll be rolling along all light hearted, and then feature scenes of people gouging each other's eyes out and exploding. And yet, it doesn't feel insane.

You can try watching Daredevil on Netflix in April. It's already rated TV-MA.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

It sucks this is going to get canceled despite glowing reviews for the most part. At least it was built with a contained story in mind from the start.

It was only ever officially a miniseries, so it's not really a cancellation.

What it does mean is that if they try the miniseries during SHIELD hiatus next year it will probably be about something/one else.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Are the ratings bad or are they bad even compared to other shows in December/January? I'm hoping that the people in charge had realistic expectations. There is a reason shows go on hiatus for a while through these months.

Now, if the ratings were bad even compared to the lowered expectations then I guess RIP Carter.

If Carter can't support it's own season I'd love to see a few episodes skimmed off SHIELD and given to a Carter block. I think SHIELD would be better as a tighter 18 episodes or whatever and Carter would get to continue to exist. Everybody wins!

I understand that this isn't how TV works and there are different creative teams on both and the actors have contracts and this would be basically impossible but I just don't want to see Carter go away!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think they're just 'bad compared to AoS', which means they're likely below the point that the show would get picked up again, if it even were possible for the show to get another production run. I don't mind-- the show was loving great for these 7 (and the finale next week) episodes. I'm going to be fine with it as a tiny little Marvel Cinematic Universe aside, like the One-Shot things they put on the DVDs.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Apoplexy posted:

I think they're just 'bad compared to AoS', which means they're likely below the point that the show would get picked up again, if it even were possible for the show to get another production run. I don't mind-- the show was loving great for these 7 (and the finale next week) episodes. I'm going to be fine with it as a tiny little Marvel Cinematic Universe aside, like the One-Shot things they put on the DVDs.

I mind -- Peggy is awesome I don't want her gone forever :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The ad for next week's episode called it a "Season finale." So take from that what you will.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Period shows are expensive to produce, so even if Agent Carter was getting the same ratings as Agents of SHIELD (since they're both effects-heavy shows) or other competing shows, those ratings might be too low for the cost for AC.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

It was only ever officially a miniseries, so it's not really a cancellation.

What it does mean is that if they try the miniseries during SHIELD hiatus next year it will probably be about something/one else.

I'm pretty certain we'd have to know by now if ABC was developing a new Marvel show for next season; recall that the first reports of a Carter series were all the way back in fall 2013, and that Paul Lee confirmed it to be in development the following January.

In other words, either Carter gets renewed or they'll fill the gap with something not Marvel-related.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Barry Convex posted:

In other words, either Carter gets renewed or they'll fill the gap with something not Marvel-related.

Or they'll go back to doing what other shows do and have a couple of smaller breaks in between sweeps periods.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Renewal or not, this is loving kickass television. If ratings don't vindicate it, Netflix and word of mouth will.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

howe_sam posted:

Or they'll go back to doing what other shows do and have a couple of smaller breaks in between sweeps periods.

Or that, yes. But I would hope not.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Really hoping for a season 2, especially if they can do the "insane" 50's Captain America storyline which was joked about for Cap 3. Already have a potential "in" with Steve's blood this season.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The show is good for what it is, but I'd rather ABC use the funds to improve SHIELD. The only situation I see where I'd want more Agent Carter in the future (and I prefer Carter to SHIELD), would be if they split the season in two and do 13 episodes of SHIELD from Sep-Dec, and 13 episodes of Carter from Jan-May. The fact that Agent Carter as a whole looks like it is just filler for SHIELD (which already has a lot of extraneous filler episodes), hurt the way the show is perceived, and probably plays into the mediocre ratings.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

The show is good for what it is

Well, its a show. So its good for being a show, so its a good show. Is that what you're saying?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like SHIELD well enough but I'd take more of Agent Carter over it any day.

Really I just need more Hayley Atwell.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

mikeraskol posted:

I mind -- Peggy is awesome I don't want her gone forever :smith:

According to some recent movie news, she won't be completely gone even if the show doesn't come back. So there's that. :unsmith:

Also, Netflix. I think that Carter should get a shot on Netflix, assuming DD does well, before being outright cancelled. Same with AoS.

TyrantWD posted:

The show is good for what it is, but I'd rather ABC use the funds to improve SHIELD. The only situation I see where I'd want more Agent Carter in the future (and I prefer Carter to SHIELD), would be if they split the season in two and do 13 episodes of SHIELD from Sep-Dec, and 13 episodes of Carter from Jan-May. The fact that Agent Carter as a whole looks like it is just filler for SHIELD (which already has a lot of extraneous filler episodes), hurt the way the show is perceived, and probably plays into the mediocre ratings.

The problem is that putting more money into AoS might not be beneficial if they can't guarantee a ratings boost. It is always potentially better to spend money on more hours of TV, than to spend more money on a fewer hours with bigger budgets. That's kind of why that even if AoS were given shorter seasons to tighten up the writing, each episode would not necessarily get all that extra budget that were freed up.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

mikeraskol posted:

Well, its a show. So its good for being a show, so its a good show. Is that what you're saying?

It's good because it has been constrained to an eight episode run. The episodes in the middle (in particular 3 and 4), were fairly dull affairs. Two strong episodes to open and two strong episodes to close the series make for a strong mini-series. Arrow has had four strong episodes this season as well, but no one would say it has been a particularly good season.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Teek posted:

Really hoping for a season 2, especially if they can do the "insane" 50's Captain America storyline which was joked about for Cap 3. Already have a potential "in" with Steve's blood this season.

What storyline was this? I'm drawing a blank.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Serpent Society

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like SHIELD well enough but I'd take more of Agent Carter over it any day.

Really I just need more Hayley Atwell.

I believe she's supposed to be in Ant-Man for some parts with a young Hank Pym, if that is any consolation.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

mikeraskol posted:

Serpent Society

Not the Serpent Society one, the William Burnside / Grand Director one.

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movies/insane-1950s-cap-story-hinted-for-captain-america-3/94106
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Director

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh ok I thought he meant the joke from Marvel's event. Never saw this article, but it makes more sense with what he was asking.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Katreus posted:

... So, maybe this was a long way to say that Leviathan seems a bit angry over Stark's weapon being used on their soldiers. :v:
The Geneva Protocol was signed in 1925, which prohibits the use of "asphyxiating, poisonous or other gases, and of all analogous liquids, materials or devices" and "bacteriological methods of warfare." The USA was a signatory of that treaty.

So Leviathan kind of has a valid point.

Maybe they don't even want to use the weapon as a weapon, they just want it as evidence so they can finally cause a completely legitimate international incident by showing the USA & Stark developed the chemical weapon that was used on their people. That might explain why it's the only weapon that the two spies seemed particularly interested in walking out of the SSR office with. As for the theater test... well they need to know/show that it's the same chemical weapon by seeing if it causes the same results, and that's the proof. (just a horribly nasty way to go about proving it)

Then we'll get a dark-ish ending where it turns out the SSR's work on this case was all to help hide evidence of the USA committing war crimes, so nobody really gets to be the good guys in the end. Maybe that'll drive Peggy to say "gently caress this poo poo, I'm starting my own secret agency, assholes. Just gonna name this motherfucker SHIELD, because Captain America was fuckin' awesome, and I'll let someone else deal with making an acronym for it later."

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 18, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Look, all I know is that you really shouldn't be allowed to be an inventor if -- say for instance -- you're trying to invent a jacket that replicates the effects of a...well, a heavier, thicker jacket, and one of the side effects during development is that it might cause slow painful death via burns and eventual block-wide explosion.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Look, all I know is that you really shouldn't be allowed to be an inventor if -- say for instance -- you're trying to invent a jacket that replicates the effects of a...well, a heavier, thicker jacket, and one of the side effects during development is that it might cause slow painful death via burns and eventual block-wide explosion.

And then you keep it around because you apparently have some kind of mental illness surrounding your own work. Like, why would he keep that gas? I know what he said about not being able to get rid of them. That is kind of what makes him kiiiiiind of a villain. "I made a terrible weapon that I don't want anyone to use again but I won't get rid of it because I made it! It's not enough to keep the blue prints, I have to actually stockpile the stuff in my basement! "

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

ToastyPotato posted:

And then you keep it around because you apparently have some kind of mental illness surrounding your own work. Like, why would he keep that gas? I know what he said about not being able to get rid of them. That is kind of what makes him kiiiiiind of a villain. "I made a terrible weapon that I don't want anyone to use again but I won't get rid of it because I made it! It's not enough to keep the blue prints, I have to actually stockpile the stuff in my basement! "

Because comic logic. Every comic issue needs a doomsday device.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

ToastyPotato posted:

That doesn't sound too different from any other inventor.

I'd like to break up these rocks. Oops I made tnt. Shitttttttt.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

That doesn't sound too different from any other inventor.

I'd like to break up these rocks. Oops I made tnt. Shitttttttt.

Uhhh, Stark had the only known remnants of the gas, which he kept for apparently no reason other than he thinks highly of himself. Apparently he was appalled at what his gas did, opted to take it away from the military, and decided to just keep it for himself, instead of insuring no one could ever harm anyone with it again. It's not like he let the genie out of the bottle. Literally no one else had the gas or the formula to make it, hence all the attempts to recover that specific crate.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Maybe it is something more similar to Jacob's Ladder. In that it wasn't conceived as a weapon, but something more similar to a combat enhancing drug.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

ToastyPotato posted:

Uhhh, Stark had the only known remnants of the Iron Man suit, which he kept for apparently no reason other than he thinks highly of himself. Apparently he was appalled at what his weapons did, opted to take it away from the military, and decided to just keep it for himself, instead of insuring no one could ever harm anyone with it again. It's not like he let the genie out of the bottle. Literally no one else had the suit or the blue prints to make it, hence all the attempts to recover that specific technology.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

^^^
What? Did you watch the Iron Man movies? Because what Tony did with the suit and what his father seems to have made with the gas are two kind of extremely different things.

What he intended it to do was kind of irrelevant once he saw the results. After seeing the results he decided that only he should be allowed to stockpile it, instead of getting rid of the last remaining canisters. Next week is kind of the last chance for them to redeem him and explain what really went on, because right now he is looking kind of irredeemable. Even after his chat with Peggy, he didn't bother to tell her about what happened that day or the gas in general, making her think this was all about Cap's blood, and his inventions in general. He knew the whole time that there were canisters of dangerous gas in one of those crates and didn't think it was important to tell anyone, despite it possibly being the reason he withdrew his inventions and hid them away in the first place.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

ToastyPotato posted:

It's not like he let the genie out of the bottle. Literally no one else had the gas or the formula to make it, hence all the attempts to recover that specific crate.
I also get the feeling that the Starks have a Hoarder mentality when it comes to their inventions, with the idea that you never know what might come in handy someday. It's honestly pretty justified in a comic book / action movie / spy movie kind of world. It's pretty common in those kinds of stories for the heroes to find themselves in some bizarre situation, and the crazy inventor guy suddenly shouts "Oh, I have a prototype that never worked for it's intended purpose, but it just may be what we need now!"

That's Stark. This implosion bomb would be horrific as a weapon, but perhaps it could revolutionize the waste management industry. The heat vest wasn't a bad idea, it was just wildly unstable and needed more work, which is why it was locked up. The rage gas may be far too cruel to use as a weapon, but perhaps it could refined into a safe stimulant for medical purposes, or used as a counter to some crazy hypothetical HYDRA Apathy Ray?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Renewal or not, this is loving kickass television. If ratings don't vindicate it, Netflix and word of mouth will.

Yeah, I'm desperately hoping Netflix will pick this up if ABC decides they're done with it. They've already got a stable of minis coming out and this would fit in right with them.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

I also get the feeling that the Starks have a Hoarder mentality when it comes to their inventions, with the idea that you never know what might come in handy someday. It's honestly pretty justified in a comic book / action movie / spy movie kind of world. It's pretty common in those kinds of stories for the heroes to find themselves in some bizarre situation, and the crazy inventor guy suddenly shouts "Oh, I have a prototype that never worked for it's intended purpose, but it just may be what we need now!"

That's Stark. This implosion bomb would be horrific as a weapon, but perhaps it could revolutionize the waste management industry. The heat vest wasn't a bad idea, it was just wildly unstable and needed more work, which is why it was locked up. The rage gas may be far too cruel to use as a weapon, but perhaps it could refined into a safe stimulant for medical purposes, or used as a counter to some crazy hypothetical HYDRA Apathy Ray?

What I'm saying is Howard Stark is a wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Maybe there would be some breakthrough that allowed him to make invention X work as designed or tweaked into something he never originally considered.

• Locked thread