Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Indian actually tends to come out on top as the preferred term whenever studies/surveys/etc. are done.

Ain't nobody likes being called an american anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If there isn't a football team called the Gypsies then it's not racist.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aphrodite posted:

It's (another) one of those things Europeans made racist and ruined for everyone.

Europe is crazy racist it's just racist in a slightly different manner to America. Which Europeans often tend to ignore. A character that is supposed to be a bit of a dick using the word "gypsy" is pretty small peas when poo poo like forced sterilization and mass deportation of Romani is still a thing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Europe is crazy racist it's just racist in a slightly different manner to America. Which Europeans often tend to ignore. A character that is supposed to be a bit of a dick using the word "gypsy" is pretty small peas when poo poo like forced sterilization and mass deportation of Romani is still a thing.

Why is giving them a bath and a ride such a terrible crime?:confused:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah the country of europe is super racist. There's a videoclip of the european president calling a homeless romani "sdoki". That's european for "N'gger" basically

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zzulu posted:

yeah the country of europe is super racist. There's a videoclip of the european president calling a homeless romani "sdoki". That's european for "N'gger" basically

hi, i too dont know how context and words work lets be friends

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

re:Gypsy --

It's also where the term "I got gypped" came from.

Urban Dictionary posted:

Used as a term to describe when one has received less than they paid for. Most people do not realize it's a racist term that stems from nomadic 'gypsies' who are stereotyped as theiving criminals.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gypsies stole the last page of this thread.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Its what they do best.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
my fav. part of snatch requires you to turn on subtitles

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Hmm...Now I wonder if we should have a PYF Subtitle Movie Moment thread

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Yeah, that's the part where he's describing what exactly he wants for his ma's new caravan.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hockles posted:

lol at citing urban dictionary, even if it happens to be correct.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cool subtle move moments guys

The Every Frame A Painting guy uploaded a new video, focusing on Drive which is a good movie you should watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsI8UES59TM

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is a great way to lose important body parts in either state.

So's frostbite.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hockles posted:

Which is why Americans changed to using the much more politically correct term "Jewed" instead, I suppose. Can we talk about subtle movie stuff now, like the evidence of Blade Runner and Alien being set in the same universe?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Jedit posted:

like the evidence of Blade Runner and Alien being set in the same universe?

Also Soldier with Kurt Russel.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Jedit posted:

Can we talk about subtle movie stuff now, like the evidence of Blade Runner and Alien being set in the same universe?

Wait, this I've never heard of. I had been aware of the nod to Blade Runner in Soldier, but whats this about Alien/Blade Runner?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

DandyLion posted:

Wait, this I've never heard of. I had been aware of the nod to Blade Runner in Soldier, but whats this about Alien/Blade Runner?

Only thing I could find on short notice was:

quote:

Supplemental materials on the Prometheus Blu-ray suggest the Tyrell Corporation from Ridley Scott's film Blade Runner is one of Weyland-Yutani's competitors.[19] Fans have often theorized that Blade Runner may be set in the same universe as Alien owing to the two films' similar style and design, but this oblique reference remains the only suggestion of such a link in official media (furthermore, the information on the Blu-ray seems to be more of an Easter Egg than hard fact).

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Weyland-Yutani

I could swear there was a W-Y logo on a building somewhere in Blade Runner, but that was probably a fever dream.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Did a quick Google search on the Blade Runner/Alien thing and they do show a few screenshots from each movie that have identical tech being used - I guess that could be a clue? Apparently the director reused some stuff from both movies:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DandyLion posted:

Soldier isn't even a nod; David Peoples wrote the script alongside the script for Blade Runner and put a whole bunch of fragments from Dick in it.

The connection with Alien has already mostly been explained. What's interesting about it is the parallel theme of trying to improve on humanity and how the two stories mesh together - particularly when you include Aliens. Eldon Tyrell tried creating flesh and blood creatures who were better and smarter than humans, but they couldn't be controlled and one of them killed him. Then another company made androids that were better and smarter than humans, and could also be fitted with behavioural inhibitors; this, too, failed because the inhibitors were only as good as the humans who made them. Then comes the xenomorph, which instead of trying to improve on humanity by making it better does so by removing the delusions of human behaviour to create a purer animal.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I think there is a cut scene from the movie where after Ash's comments on the Alien Ripley asks if he managed to communicate with the Alien, and Ash tells her he's taking that secret to his grave.

I think the only scene where someone communicates with an Alien is when Ripley gets the Alien Queen to back down by threatening her eggs with a flamethrower.

There were only two Aliens movies, by the way.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Feb 20, 2015

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Every couple of pages someone brings up the Galaxy Quest chomper hallway "Screw this/gently caress this" thing and all I want to say is I saw GQ in theaters and it was a print where she actually says "gently caress" and I found it out of place and jarring in what was, to that point, a cute family movie.

As for a SMM I'd say the "cha-ching" noise when Timothy Dalton glances at the camera in Hot Fuzz

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

I think there is a cut scene from the movie where after Ash's comments on the Alien Ripley asks if he managed to communicate with the Alien, and Ash tells her he's taking that secret to his grave.

Not that I've ever heard of. Admittedly I don't know everything, but I have read and seen a lot of ancillary material.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

CzarChasm posted:

Hmm...Now I wonder if we should have a PYF Subtitle Movie Moment thread

:justpost:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, that's the part where he's describing what exactly he wants for his ma's new caravan.

Well, she is terribly partial to the periwinkle blue.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Not really subtle, but easy to miss--in Kingsman, early on the main character, who is a bit of a chav, is getting shown some of the finer points of style, and there's a reference made to Trading Places. Near the end, when he finally dons his bespoke suit, he steps out and has this exchange with the Q-esque character: "Looking good, Eggsy." "Feeling good, Merlin."

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Jedit posted:

Not that I've ever heard of. Admittedly I don't know everything, but I have read and seen a lot of ancillary material.

Tracked it down, wasn't in the film, it was in the novelization.

Alan Dean Forster wrote both novelizations (alien and aliens) and they were quite good when I was 12, I should re read them.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ed Norton's character in Birdman is named Shiner. He has a black eye for a significant portion of the movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

Tracked it down, wasn't in the film, it was in the novelization.

Alan Dean Forster wrote both novelizations (alien and aliens) and they were quite good when I was 12, I should re read them.

The novelisations are based on draft versions of the scripts and backstory material, so it was probably in at some point. Highlander's novelisation is pretty good for this; it has an interesting backstory for the Kurgan and a second Kastagir/Macleod scene that is almost as funny as the one that made the movie.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

The novelisations are based on draft versions of the scripts and backstory material, so it was probably in at some point. Highlander's novelisation is pretty good for this; it has an interesting backstory for the Kurgan and a second Kastagir/Macleod scene that is almost as funny as the one that made the movie.

Oh gently caress you for making me want to find this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Oh gently caress you for making me want to find this.

http://www.amazon.com/Highlander-Or...r+garry+douglas

You're welcome. You may also be able to find Dynamite Comics' mini-series Highlander Origins: The Kurgan at a comic store; it covers much of the same material about that character.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Mar 1, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I nearly forgot, but one of the great things in Prisoners is the attention to detail with the costuming. You can see some of the wardrobe in detail here. Terrance Howard's character wears Polo and Ralph Lauren clothes, just stuff you'd find in any Macys, and Hugh Jackman's character wears shirts from Old Navy and cheap Sears house brand workwear. Jake Gylenhaal, on the other hand, wears a pretty realistic blend of professional and practical clothing, stuff from J Crew and Dickies.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pirates of the Caribbean: When Jack Sparrow and Will fight near the beginning of the movie, Will blocks a door latch by throwing a sword into the wall so hard that Jack can't free it no matter how hard he pulls. Towards the end, Will does the same trick to give him a footrest at the gallows, and Jack uses the sword to cut through his bindings but doesn't even try to pull it free to fight the guards because he knows he can't.

The things you notice on your 500th viewing, I guess. Man, it's a shame the sequels were so goddamn lovely.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean: When Jack Sparrow and Will fight near the beginning of the movie, Will blocks a door latch by throwing a sword into the wall so hard that Jack can't free it no matter how hard he pulls. Towards the end, Will does the same trick to give him a footrest at the gallows, and Jack uses the sword to cut through his bindings but doesn't even try to pull it free to fight the guards because he knows he can't.

The things you notice on your 500th viewing, I guess. Man, it's a shame the sequels were so goddamn lovely.

I just watched On Stranger Tides. I wish I had not.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Big Hero 6 San Frantokyo or whatever had Hashima island visible from the aerial shot of Alcatraz. Its not geographically correct but its also in a 3 second shot

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

I just watched On Stranger Tides. I wish I had not.
You should read the Tim Powers book of the same name that it was loosely based off though, because that was awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the book was able to actually figure out a way to keep to real history while still doing crazy magic, like it has Blackbeard getting to the Fountain but it works kind of differently than usually portrayed so he still dies like in real life.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In Falling Down during the drive-by when D-FENS is on the phone and getting shot at, you can see him not flinch when everybody else is freaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I had a pretty good time watching On Stranger Tides very soon after reading the book. I think the early scenes before they set out of Jack tricking people into telling him about the Fountain by claiming to know more about it than he does are derived from a bit at the beginning of the book where a sorcerer manages to bluff his way through a ritual he doesn't actually know, but that could be a stretch.