Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

beep by grandpa posted:

Is this your first time on the internet or something? That's the reaction at large to every micro-offense there has ever been.

to be fair reggie could probably get a good distance on most toy to medium size dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Andrast posted:

Not including a charger was a bit of a dick move, but the transfer process is really painless. You just follow the instructions and press ok a few times. I have no idea why that is a big deal to some people.

Because a lot of people (one comes to mind in particular) have embraced the "NOW NOW NOW NOW NOWWWWWWW!" mentality.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The fact that if you lose your 3ds, you lose all of your digital purchases because all your poo poo is tied to an account that can be LOST FOREVER. Thats such goddamn bullshit. I just checked and i can confirm its the year 2015!!!!!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

TheRealestMatt posted:

Because a lot of people (one comes to mind in particular) have embraced the "NOW NOW NOW NOW NOWWWWWWW!" mentality.

Isn't it also because of the lack of a central account system? Like, if my 360 bricks tomorrow I can get a new one, plug in my account details and the only pain is re-downloading the stuff that I bought digitally and want to play. All of my other credentials are still there. Imagine if for a TV console you had to pull out the hard drive and plug it into the new system?

I get that it's being overblown, but at the same time in this day and age these issues shouldn't exist in the first place.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Depths posted:

The fact that if you lose your 3ds, you lose all of your digital purchases because all your poo poo is tied to an account that can be LOST FOREVER. Thats such goddamn bullshit. I just checked and i can confirm its the year 2015!!!!!

You can just call Nintendo to get your purchases restored if your 3DS breaks/is stolen.

(They should still have a modern account system)

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong (no handheld) but isn't the larger problem that if you do it wrong, even in fairly innocent ways, it can cause huge problems with the transfer?

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

hoobajoo posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong (no handheld) but isn't the larger problem that if you do it wrong, even in fairly innocent ways, it can cause huge problems with the transfer?

Yes, you can make mistakes I suppose. Having actually done the transfer though, I kinda don't know where all these mistakes COULD be made? But yeah, I guess?

Also, yes, there is no account system, but people act like Nintendo can just snap their fingers and one suddenly appears. Having being in QA for years, I can tell you it is the biggest undertaking a technology company can do aside from launching the actual hardware. It takes years of work, and the middle of the lifespan of the 3DS is not where you do it. So yes, there is no account system, but complaining about it now makes no sense to me.

If Nintendo's new console/handheld does NOT have an account system then that is absolutely unacceptable because there's the time where you need to establish one. I will rightfully poo poo on them if they don't.

And like I said, when you get a new piece of hardware nowadays (account system or not) you're gonna spend over an hour installing updates and setting poo poo up no matter what. So again, not sure why some people are acting like this is the biggest atrocity of the 21st century.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Is this your first time on the internet or something? That's the reaction at large to every micro-offense there has ever been.

I'm not dense, I meant that by comparison and especially in the realm of Video Games.

Ok I get that there's potentially hundreds of dollars at risk if it goes south (to say nothing of hours on games like Monster Hunter, AC and Pokemon) but that's part in parcel on why Nintendo put out that over elaborate video in the first place.

Honestly one wonders if they're taking CN down in prep for an expansion into an Account based system. They have the account part down pat so, whilst that's not full on dev, QA stuff it is at least one piece of the puzzle on that one.

Course that's a S.W.A.G with emphasis on WAG.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 18, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

TheRealestMatt posted:

And like I said, when you get a new piece of hardware nowadays (account system or not) you're gonna spend over an hour installing updates and setting poo poo up no matter what. So again, not sure why some people are acting like this is the biggest atrocity of the 21st century.

Exasperation with Nintendo, I imagine. They're nearly a decade behind everyone else because of stubborn refusal to conform to modern video game trends (which is a whole other debate) and when they finally start getting some of their poo poo together it's kinda busted and lovely. If it was literally any other company making these kinds of mistakes they would be toast. This is just one more thing on the list of reasons to yell about Nintendo, which never seems to go more than a couple of months without something new on it these days, deserved or not.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

Yes, you can make mistakes I suppose. Having actually done the transfer though, I kinda don't know where all these mistakes COULD be made? But yeah, I guess?

Also, yes, there is no account system, but people act like Nintendo can just snap their fingers and one suddenly appears. Having being in QA for years, I can tell you it is the biggest undertaking a technology company can do aside from launching the actual hardware. It takes years of work, and the middle of the lifespan of the 3DS is not where you do it. So yes, there is no account system, but complaining about it now makes no sense to me.

If Nintendo's new console/handheld does NOT have an account system then that is absolutely unacceptable because there's the time where you need to establish one. I will rightfully poo poo on them if they don't.

The lack of an account system is really an indictment of Nintendo and not the 3DS itself; sure it's a big undertaking that will take years, but Nintendo IS a big company, and they HAVE had years to implement one. The hyperbole used in most of these complaints are hilariously overblown, but there is a legitimate criticism at the heart of it.

The time complaint is totally dumb though, by now there's just an expectation that any new system setup takes an hour plus, 100% agree.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tbh my biggest pet peeve with Nintendo is their absolute dedication to a default, unchangeable system font size of ~544pt on their only HD system :psyduck:

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Now with another part of Game of Thrones in the bag, I just feel like saying our recording of episode two of Iron From Ice is some of the funniest stuff on the channel (I feel)

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I gave handhelds a pass for the longest time because them being behind the times meant I got to skip all the bullshit of modern consoles have. Just put a cart in the plastic thing and press on.

Now you're just jumping through all the same hoops, but it takes twice as long, for a shittier service. (Compared to consoles, which is already the shittier version of the PC experience)

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheRealestMatt posted:

Now with another part of Game of Thrones in the bag, I just feel like saying our recording of episode two of Iron From Ice is some of the funniest stuff on the channel (I feel)

Honestly I think you're lying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

cmykjester posted:

Honestly I think you're lying.

Good work McMuscles!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Andrast posted:

Not including a charger was a bit of a dick move, but the transfer process is really painless. You just follow the instructions and press ok a few times. I have no idea why that is a big deal to some people.

That was probably the worst part about it. I guess I can see that "Hey, we don't include them in Japan and Europe because of environmental lawblahblahblahblah" is a thing but we're America, the Earth curtain jerks FOR US!

Plus they included a quicky wireless mode where you can just transfer your licenses and bullshit and download it all later to save time so I don't know where the mountain is when I see a mole hill for the most part.

TriffTshngo posted:

Exasperation with Nintendo, I imagine. They're nearly a decade behind everyone else because of stubborn refusal to conform to modern video game trends (which is a whole other debate) and when they finally start getting some of their poo poo together it's kinda busted and lovely. If it was literally any other company making these kinds of mistakes they would be toast. This is just one more thing on the list of reasons to yell about Nintendo, which never seems to go more than a couple of months without something new on it these days, deserved or not.

Stubborn refusal wise i'll take having to call Nintendo to reconjiggure my licenses back on a lost 3DS over broken release day games and facebook integration and day 1 DLC that was obviously gutted from the base game.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 19, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheRealestMatt posted:

Looking forward to the rest of it then, even if like Pat and Liam I hate Game of Thrones and think it's garbage. :v:

(goddamnit why would you forge the letter you're gonna get wrecked then your family is gonna get wrecked nooo)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Congrats on finishing SH2 guys, Maria's chapter kinda sucked but it was still a really fun playthrough!

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Dias posted:

Looking forward to the rest of it then, even if like Pat and Liam I hate Game of Thrones and think it's garbage. :v:

(goddamnit why would you forge the letter you're gonna get wrecked then your family is gonna get wrecked nooo)

It's a telltale game!

So don't worry, my choices didn't matter!

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
in Best Friends' lore, Ernest was dead along because Jet Jaguar held his arms behind his back while Pyramid Head gave a derpy flying dropkick.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Matt, I'm not sure if this came to your attention, but it should be of your interest:

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/02/meet-marilyn-a-pole-dancing-new-japan-pro-wrestling-fan-and-your-next-hopeless-crush/

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Telltale versions of all the show actors will never not be weird looking.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

All the lie-truth and truth-lies were awesome, I'm really loving the Thrones stuff. You're also making a lot of decisions I didn't (I try not to think about the Telltale railroading) so it's cool getting to see different paths, even if they ultimately don't mean much.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The TJ Combo poo poo in the first video was killing me so I look forward to sitting down and watching episode 2 episode 2 shortly

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pat bragging about his perfectly calibrated TV again I see. :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Indonesian Bob's tumblr really is as amazing/horrific as the old scrolls say.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah that tumblr is real hosed up. But I can't stop going to it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mario playthrough got a lil less interesting to watch with the Lazy gear but I'd say it's still fine.

I'm more curious to see if Liam every finds out that Geno Whirl doesn't work on bosses (outside Exor)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That said them getting excited over the Axem Rangers was just a treat. :allears:

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

"I can't believe I took the whole shell." - Peach

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm interested to hear what the Zaibatsu thinks about The Order 1886 and the circus that currently surrounds it, especially Pat. I really hope Bloodbourne isn't just another hype train that flies off the rails and explodes.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

I'm interested to hear what the Zaibatsu thinks about The Order 1886 and the circus that currently surrounds it, especially Pat. I really hope Bloodbourne isn't just another hype train that flies off the rails and explodes.

You may want to check Pat's twitter today, he already beat it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

The people behind Bloodbourne seem to hold to a very different design philosophy than the people behind The Order.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Charles Martel posted:

gently caress that, I wanna hear Liam try really really hard to defend it next podcast. Like I can't imagine how he'd do it or dear god why but i'm sure he'll do it.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Commissar Ken posted:

gently caress that, I wanna hear Liam try really really hard to defend it next podcast. Like I can't imagine how he'd do it or dear god why but i'm sure he'll do it.

The Order isn't moe, though.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

I don't think Liam would ever have any inclination to say anything positive about a cover-shooter made by a western developer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As someone who is out of touch with that game, please fill me in on what said circus is about. The only thing I know about that game is that it had really nice graphics on the 30 seconds of a youtube video I watched, and all the comments were the same fuckin joke about where they could find it on Netflix because nobody who makes Youtube comments has a single original bone in their body.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CJacobs posted:

As someone who is out of touch with that game, please fill me in on what said circus is about. The only thing I know about that game is that it had really nice graphics on the 30 seconds of a youtube video I watched, and all the comments were the same fuckin joke about where they could find it on Netflix because nobody who makes Youtube comments has a single original bone in their body.

It's literally 5 hours long and has exactly 0 replayability.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

A good poster posted:

I don't think Liam would ever have any inclination to say anything positive about a cover-shooter made by a western developer.

He pretty frequently references the Killzone game on Vita as being "pretty good" for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

There's no big scandal, it's just the personification of all the vices of modern AAA development. It's a shallow, bland, flashy nothing. Why anyone acts like this is a surprise or newsworthy is beyond me.