Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Eschatos posted:

Also, goddamn curious is a liability on any level with iron maidens.

Curious is probably one of the worst quriks because on top of touching every drat thing, they will keep you from using your items on those things to make them safe.

"I've gotta know how this works!" *sticks head into cart full of corpses*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Chard posted:

This is also one of my complaints. Having to click into the character sheet to see their quirks gets irritating when I'm trying to assemble a party, I wish it would just pop up if I moused over their portrait for a second or two. Ditto for trinkets; I want a little mini stat box that shows all their relative info so I can compare two heroes more easily.

Any stat effecting ones will show up on the characters stats if you hove rover the Stats when a character is selected., its does a little list of all sources of + or - and by how much to that Stat. Has a bit of an issue with conditionals sometime since it seems to just list possible effects and not what can cause them.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I feel the occultist is a better healer if you leave his heal at I think it's level two? The last level before the bleed goes to 2/round. Getting a 0-12 point heal with a 1/3 bleed is much better than a 0-15 heal with 2/3 bleed, but it just feels so strange to leave skills at that level. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I hope they change that skill slightly, maybe extend the duration of the bleed instead of making it tick harder? Or upping the minimum heal value when the bleed goes to 2/3. Not exactly sure.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

fargom posted:

I feel the occultist is a better healer if you leave his heal at I think it's level two? The last level before the bleed goes to 2/round. Getting a 0-12 point heal with a 1/3 bleed is much better than a 0-15 heal with 2/3 bleed, but it just feels so strange to leave skills at that level. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I hope they change that skill slightly, maybe extend the duration of the bleed instead of making it tick harder? Or upping the minimum heal value when the bleed goes to 2/3. Not exactly sure.

I do the same thing, but this goon has a good idea to counter the bleed:

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Putting a -% to Bleed trinket on the occultist makes this not an issue. I've gone entire runs without it causing bleed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do't understand why the occultists heal's bleed increases as you upgrade, if anything it should go down because you're UPgrading the abilities.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I do't understand why the occultists heal's bleed increases as you upgrade, if anything it should go down because you're UPgrading the abilities.

I was going to make a joke about the Occultist's "wyrm" getting stronger as it upgrades, but the heal is called, "Wyrd Reconstruction" which more or less means fate/destiny reconstruction. Wyrd is also pronounced weird in the English language.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Well, the icon for wyrd heal is some gnarly looking monster stitches. If he's basically sewing your mans' arms and legs back on and getting more aggressive with his experiments, I'd say bleed% increasing makes sense

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Wyrd is also pronounced weird in the English language.

haha.
The bleed chance goes up because a 1-14 heal that didn't cause bleed would be leagues better than the Vestal heal.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Chard posted:

Well, the icon for wyrd heal is some gnarly looking monster stitches. If he's basically sewing your mans' arms and legs back on and getting more aggressive with his experiments, I'd say bleed% increasing makes sense

He using occult/wyrd energies to make the flesh itself regrow and whoops sometimes it goes wrong and just starts bleeding.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chakan posted:

haha.
The bleed chance goes up because a 1-14 heal that didn't cause bleed would be leagues better than the Vestal heal.

Yeah I definitely agree the bleed going up helps balance it against the vestal's heals, I just don't see the point in leveling it past the first rank because even at level 4 getting a max heal of 12 HP is still a big heal.

Edit: I'll probably play around with the Occultist tonight and try leveling up the heal on one of the 2-3 I have at a higher level.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Your bleed resistance should be going up with level as well.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I definitely agree the bleed going up helps balance it against the vestal's heals, I just don't see the point in leveling it past the first rank because even at level 4 getting a max heal of 12 HP is still a big heal.

Edit: I'll probably play around with the Occultist tonight and try leveling up the heal on one of the 2-3 I have at a higher level.

Get the trinket, Level the heal, Forget it even has a bleed effect. :clint:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
And even without a trinket, bandages aren't exactly expensive.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Or just ignore the bleed. I never care myself. Wyrd healing at death's door can be awkward I guess.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Curious is probably one of the worst quriks because on top of touching every drat thing, they will keep you from using your items on those things to make them safe.

"I've gotta know how this works!" *sticks head into cart full of corpses*

You can activate every curio in the game from a longer distance than traits will force you to activate them. That's actually my preferred method of dealing with traits, carry extras of the supply items to make the things safe. (Except Curious, specifically because it works on everything).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't even care about the bleed on Wyrd, what makes me hate using it is no matter how much you level it there's nothing you can do about it healing for 0. Its a ridiculous RNG skill that can work fine most of the time then kick you in the balls when you really need to rely on it.

TheBlandName posted:

You can activate every curio in the game from a longer distance than traits will force you to activate them. That's actually my preferred method of dealing with traits, carry extras of the supply items to make the things safe. (Except Curious, specifically because it works on everything).

Didn't know that, probably because I move through dungeons too fast in general. Sometimes I walk onto traps I have scouted just because I'm not paying attention :saddowns:

VVV Most games don't have extreme RNG on the heals, including this one. Wyrd reconstruction is the only healing skill with a MASSIVE amount of RNG fuckery. Which is exactly why I don't like relying on it.

I really don't get what point you're trying to make.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 19, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even care about the bleed on Wyrd, what makes me hate using it is no matter how much you level it there's nothing you can do about it healing for 0. Its a ridiculous RNG skill that can work fine most of the time then kick you in the balls when you really need to rely on it.

Didn't know that, probably because I move through dungeons too fast in general. Sometimes I walk onto traps I have scouted just because I'm not paying attention :saddowns:

Welcome to roleplaying games buddy. ;)

Sometimes you roll a 1 and aint nothing you can do about it.

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
Then why don't damage abilities roll zero too? What makes it work for healers but not attackers?

E: actually duh they can miss so there's your zero. Balance!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

On quirks: I think it'd be cool if they kept it random, but just stopped a hero from gaining more positive quirks once you hit your seven instead of overwriting at random. This would do a lot for diversifying Highwayman X from Highwayman Y, and could be another layer of strategy - make some quirks much more likely to show up when you read books, for example, and suddenly there could be a reason to have a hero you like poke at them rather than just walking past them every time. Having environmental objects that exist solely as newbie traps starts to feel really boring as soon as you figure them out.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jackard posted:

In case you haven't heard them yet, several of the tracks have a "desperate" version that plays whenever you reach low torchlight... might also play at low party health but I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzozKEl_r7s

(Check out the last half of this for an example. It's all the same track, but the game loops different bits depending on the situation.)
Not sure about the low torchlight anymore... noticed the track change just now, but it was immediately after my vestal went over 80 stress. My torchlight was Shadowy-38 from the start.

E: Ha they just made her go Stalwart, :fuckoff:, the desperate version remained playing afterward

E2: Could be low torchlight affects exploration tracks and high stress affects combat tracks..?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 19, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I know save/load discussion was a few pages back, but the game does have save/load bugs that are unrelated to power outages/hard drive failures. There's a handful of people reporting corrupted saves during their normal course of play. It seems like the code that serializes the game state out to JSON sometimes generates a save file that is unable to be read back in.

Making good save/load code can be complicated, but the process of proactively maintaining a backup save isn't really that complicated. You can handle it pretty elegantly by renaming the current save file to like "<savegame>.bak" on a successful load, and then writing the new save game file to the usual location. Then if the normal save file fails to load for some reason you can load the <savegame>.bak file which you already validated as having been able to load successfully in the past.

This is pretty basic stuff, and something the devs really should be doing considering pre-release software is more likely to have save/load bugs than finished software. They also should have already implemented it considering the game saves so often that it's much more likely for the game to crash while saving or have the player exit(accidentally or on purpose) while saving and there is also no on-screen indication to warn when the game is saving either.

It seems like it is in a small percentage of cases, though, and they'll probably sort it out. They've been good about patches even if they've been awful at keeping the Mac port up to date.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm pretty sure every game is going to gently caress up if it shuts off in the middle of saving. Not really sure how it's a bug or a glitch in the game proper.

Only games written by programmers that don't follow very very basic procedures to handle errors properly or maintain backups.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I feel like there should be some afflictions that are can be good or bad depending on the situation. Like, going berserk comes to mind first, which would make a character refuse to follow orders almost every time, but they would also get huge buffs to combat.

It would also be cool if your guys got nicknames for when stuff happens to them. A highwayman with a high crit rate would get the name "Dead Eye". Or the guy who survives 5 death door attacks in a row would get "Ironman" or something like that. And these nicknames could come with buffs of their own. It'd also be cool if characters had personalities instead of singular traits that drop out of the sky. Like, a character could be aggressive, passive, cowardly, patient, methodical, twitchy and so on, each personality having pros and cons, like the aggressive character receiving bonuses to offense while suffering negatives to defense, while also being more prone to go berserk than other characters.

This game is nice but it could use a lot more depth in a lot of ways.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 19, 2015

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I didn't even know that running low light gave your more loot in addition to making the game harder until just now. Maybe I'll try to do no torches and go blind from staring at the dark screen and also kill all my characters.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Wow, I thought I was getting the hang of this game, being able to consistently take out the same party back-to-back without having to cure them of all their horrible afflictions in-between missions and so on, but then I tried the Hag boss. Ho-ly poo poo. My party up until there was 2 frontline tanky-dps with a crusader and hellion, a bounty hunter who mostly does moving now as he landed three different -damage-accuracy afflictions that mission, and a healer, which is pretty safe to say the completely wrong party to take to that bossfight. Every monster encounter before that was the bounty hunter pulling stuff to the front and the crusader/hellion pulverising them, but now with a completely immovable, invincible cauldron that regenerates itself every turn, one of my damage dealers being thrown into the pot endlessly so it takes me 3 hits to break it (and lets not forget about misses where if I miss a hit then the Hag gets 2 turns in a row that's an extra minimum 12 unavoidable damage to the person in the cauldron), and actually only one of my characters can even HIT the hag due to her being in the back 2 spaces and immovable.

Goodnight, sweet party.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Should've ran away.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ErIog posted:

I know save/load discussion was a few pages back, but the game does have save/load bugs that are unrelated to power outages/hard drive failures. There's a handful of people reporting corrupted saves during their normal course of play. It seems like the code that serializes the game state out to JSON sometimes generates a save file that is unable to be read back in.

Making good save/load code can be complicated, but the process of proactively maintaining a backup save isn't really that complicated. You can handle it pretty elegantly by renaming the current save file to like "<savegame>.bak" on a successful load, and then writing the new save game file to the usual location. Then if the normal save file fails to load for some reason you can load the <savegame>.bak file which you already validated as having been able to load successfully in the past.

This is pretty basic stuff, and something the devs really should be doing considering pre-release software is more likely to have save/load bugs than finished software. They also should have already implemented it considering the game saves so often that it's much more likely for the game to crash while saving or have the player exit(accidentally or on purpose) while saving and there is also no on-screen indication to warn when the game is saving either.

It seems like it is in a small percentage of cases, though, and they'll probably sort it out. They've been good about patches even if they've been awful at keeping the Mac port up to date.

Only games written by programmers that don't follow very very basic procedures to handle errors properly or maintain backups.

Fair enough

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Metos posted:

Wow, I thought I was getting the hang of this game, being able to consistently take out the same party back-to-back without having to cure them of all their horrible afflictions in-between missions and so on, but then I tried the Hag boss. Ho-ly poo poo. My party up until there was 2 frontline tanky-dps with a crusader and hellion, a bounty hunter who mostly does moving now as he landed three different -damage-accuracy afflictions that mission, and a healer, which is pretty safe to say the completely wrong party to take to that bossfight. Every monster encounter before that was the bounty hunter pulling stuff to the front and the crusader/hellion pulverising them, but now with a completely immovable, invincible cauldron that regenerates itself every turn, one of my damage dealers being thrown into the pot endlessly so it takes me 3 hits to break it (and lets not forget about misses where if I miss a hit then the Hag gets 2 turns in a row that's an extra minimum 12 unavoidable damage to the person in the cauldron), and actually only one of my characters can even HIT the hag due to her being in the back 2 spaces and immovable.

Goodnight, sweet party.

Having the Hag eat your party is basically a right of passage for this game.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Internet Kraken posted:

Having the Hag eat your party is basically a right of passage for this game.

It's either that, or when you beat the Hag before the Swine Prince and stroll into that later boss fight full of confidence and swagger going "yeah I see through your tricks this time, game" and bust out the ranged damage.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Metos posted:

Goodnight, sweet party.

This is basically the same party I used, but I changed up my skills before I engaged . It comes down to the skills you use. Put Holy Lance on the Crusader, use the strike/bleed that hits 2 and 3 on the Hellion, the bounty hunter has a skill that does bonus vs. stun but that's just gravy on top of the 'hits any position' component. Vestal heals. Just about everyone but the leper can be useful on this fight.

Also, you can just run away and come back later. If you abandon it's about 30 stress to the party, but at least they're alive.

So, newbie question, but is there a time limit to this? It feels like the dungeons get harder as the weeks add up, but that could just be due to my limited play time so far.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's no time limit at this point. There's speculation that there will be time-triggered events added to the game at some point, but as far as I know there's been no official word on what that will look like.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Protip: Bounty Hunter + Leper as main damage dealers is not a great idea versus the Hag. Just had my first TPK with her at 2 health, what with the Leper being completely unable to hit her and the Bounty Hunter being unable to take advantage of her being marked.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Question inviting spoilers: which bosses have adds above their introduction?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eschatos posted:

Protip: Bounty Hunter + Leper as main damage dealers is not a great idea versus the Hag. Just had my first TPK with her at 2 health, what with the Leper being completely unable to hit her and the Bounty Hunter being unable to take advantage of her being marked.

Followup Protip: Two Hellions for every boss. If it bleeds, they can kill it.

2x Hairpins, Sharpen Spear and Battle Trance. +20% crit and 30% damage (50% to large targets, i.e. every boss.)

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 19, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Chard posted:

Question inviting spoilers: which bosses have adds above their introduction?

None. All the bosses fight exactly the same at higher tiers, just with more stats. Same basic strategy but you might have to adjust your Hag tactics since the pot does ridiculous damage at tier 3 and the Hag isn't as easy to burst down.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I beat the first hag by just repeatedly shooting her in the face with pistol shot with two highwaymen, using judgement from the vestal, and having my crusader use battle heal since he couldn't reach her. I ignored who was in the pot because by the time I got them out she'd just put another in.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Early game, I should just be shoving all my heirlooms into the coach, right? Or are any of the other facilities worth upgrading?

e: Also, the game says I unlocked The Weald, but I can't actually go there. Is there something I need to do first?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

PubicMice posted:

Early game, I should just be shoving all my heirlooms into the coach, right? Or are any of the other facilities worth upgrading?

e: Also, the game says I unlocked The Weald, but I can't actually go there. Is there something I need to do first?

Coach first but don't max it. Rather increase sporadically as much as you need, because you want to keep the Blacksmith and Guild up to date (i.e. upgrade as high as your highest rank)

The game likes to prioritize the areas you've started going to at first, since everything starts at lv1 so it will only spawn lv1 quests. So it could roll with none.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Invictus posted:

I beat the first hag by just repeatedly shooting her in the face with pistol shot with two highwaymen, using judgement from the vestal, and having my crusader use battle heal since he couldn't reach her. I ignored who was in the pot because by the time I got them out she'd just put another in.

Yeah the first Hag fight you can pretty much ignore the pot but that didn't work for me in the later ones. The pot does like 5 damage to whoever gets shoved in every single action which is going to quickly kill anyone other than a Leper or Crusader. Hag has too much health and evasion to die quickly so I had to smash people out of the pot and hope she didn't chuck them right back in.

PubicMice posted:

Sometimes the RNG just decides not to give you any missions in an area. Its kind of dumb.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If you have a Bounty Hunter in your party, make sure he has Finish Him as one of his skills. It might not seem incredible in terms of raw damage but it's a full-accuracy, full-damage trusty melee attack that can be used from anywhere and hit anyone holy poo poo. When we beat the Hag on our second try at her (she wiped us the first time, of course) it was with a Hellion tank using Iron Swan, a Bounty Hunter spamming Finish Him, an Occultist shooting Cthulhu magic and occasionally knifing the pot, and a Vestal who was mostly there for panic healing in case someone came out of the pot at Death's Door. We had a couple of mildly hairy moments but came away victorious, with no casualties and no Resolve events.

The Hag basically seems like a boss that will utterly crush you if your party is a front-loaded melee bruiser squad with back row healing; she's pretty much a hard counter to that strategy. If your party has the ability to deal good damage to enemies at any range, you should be able to bring her down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Haha, I killed Wilbur and my party got stunlocked to death.