Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

The MSJ posted:

Singer Vanessa Carlton named her daughter Sidney Aoibheann Carlton-McCauley. Any Irish can tell us how to say that middle name?

I would guess it sounds like Yvonne, but that just looks unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Singer Vanessa Carlton named her daughter Sidney Aoibheann Carlton-McCauley. Any Irish can tell us how to say that middle name?

Even.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

The MSJ posted:

At least it's her middle name that's weird, that's not as big a deal.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

The MSJ posted:

Funny story: a couple of years ago, my aunt was pregnant. We were going through a baby name book together, and I stopped at Aoibheann and said "Holy spelling problems, Batman." We both laughed.
3 months later, I get a text message from the father saying that the baby has been born, and is called Aoibheann.
We're from Australia. We do not have Irish heritage. No one here can pronounce it. No one here can spell it. My aunt is an arsehole.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I had a client named Stanley Lipshitz. He looked just like his name. Sinewy middle-aged man with thick glasses and a tweed jacket with elbow patches. He had this voice that sounded like Phil Hartman but more monotone and slow, and every time he'd leave a message on my phone it would start out with, "Hello. This is Staaaanley Lipshitz."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I had an English teacher in high school who kept reading the name "Siobhan" as "sigh-oh-ban" until finally a girl who had a sister named Siobhan told him it's pronounced "sha-VAWN".

Personally I think Irish names are awesome, but they can definitely be a mouthful for people who aren't used to them.

I met an adorable little girl named Mairead, which is one of my favorite names. There's an amazing Irish fiddler and singer named Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh. My ex claimed to have met her, but that's a story for the STDH thread.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I had an English teacher in high school who kept reading the name "Siobhan" as "sigh-oh-ban" until finally a girl who had a sister named Siobhan told him it's pronounced "sha-VAWN".

In Primary school, our teacher read us the first Harry Potter (before the films had come out). 3 separate kids in the class told her how to pronounce Hermione, but she still insisted on calling her Her-mee-on.

And in high school, my teacher wouldn't believe me when I told her that the name Gillian is pronounced with a soft G (like Jillian). (Yes, I'm aware how Gillian Jacobs pronounces her name.) Later that year, the author of the book the name was from did an interview about the book, and pronounced it Jillian. The teacher's response was something to do with "artistic flair".

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Istari posted:

In Primary school, our teacher read us the first Harry Potter (before the films had come out). 3 separate kids in the class told her how to pronounce Hermione, but she still insisted on calling her Her-mee-on.

And in high school, my teacher wouldn't believe me when I told her that the name Gillian is pronounced with a soft G (like Jillian). (Yes, I'm aware how Gillian Jacobs pronounces her name.) Later that year, the author of the book the name was from did an interview about the book, and pronounced it Jillian. The teacher's response was something to do with "artistic flair".

I knew three Gillians in school. Two pronounced it Jill-ian, and the other Gill-ian. It was confusing, to say the least.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

hyperhazard posted:

I knew three Gillians in school. Two pronounced it Jill-ian, and the other Gill-ian. It was confusing, to say the least.

I'd never heard it pronounced Gill-ian until Gillian Jacobs. And I haven't heard it pronounced that way since.

I went to school with two girls called Maree. One pronounced it like Marie, the other Mar-ree. They had very similar last names too.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Knew a guy with a deformity similar to the thalidomide flipper-baby syndrome. His surname was Stubbs. :smith:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

Knew a guy with a deformity similar to the thalidomide flipper-baby syndrome. His surname was Stubbs. :smith:

There was a guy in my home town who was left with the mental capacity of a 5-year-old after a jack slipped and the car he was working on fell on his head. His surname was Slow. (Or Slowe, or Slowwe, or something, but pronounced Slow).
I never met him before the accident, but apparently he wasn't the nicest guy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Istari posted:

There was a guy in my home town who was left with the mental capacity of a 5-year-old after a jack slipped and the car he was working on fell on his head. His surname was Slow. (Or Slowe, or Slowwe, or something, but pronounced Slow).
I never met him before the accident, but apparently he wasn't the nicest guy.

Take that, athestits!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
A little boy named Titan came through my checkout lane tonight. Titan was a weedy little brat of a child.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Prince-William and Mini-Cooper.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
At least Prince and William are names.

still, must be slow news day down in the Pyrenees-Orientales

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
I had a patient once by the name of Burns, Anna-Mae.

Anime burns :supaburn:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Somebody in my friend's family named their baby Baella Marceline. I don't know where Baella came from or how to pronounce it. Looks like bae + paella. Middle name makes me think they are Adventure Time fans.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Let's see... in high school I knew an Alix, a Muhammad Muhammad Muhammad, and *snip*.

Well poo poo, my bad. Blame it on faulty memory then as I wasn't close the person or nothing. M3 was a really cool guy though with a fun name to say.

Iserlohn has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Feb 17, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Iserlohn posted:

Let's see... in high school I knew an Alix, a Muhammad Muhammad Muhammad, and a La-a (Pronounced La-dash-a).

You probably should have read the OP :v:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

My sides, what a wacky name I have never heard of before

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Iserlohn posted:

Let's see... in high school I knew an Alix, a Muhammad Muhammad Muhammad, and a La-a (Pronounced La-dash-a).

Ah yes, close friend to Major Major Major Major

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I had a customer the other day by the name of Sage Pepper. Mr. Sage Pepper.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Young actor Kodi Smit-McPhee has been cast as Nightcrawler in the new X-Men movie.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Male Tears posted:

Young actor Kodi Smit-McPhee has been cast as Nightcrawler in the new X-Men movie.

His parents named him hoping he'd grow up to be a mutant

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

His parents named him hoping he'd grow up to be a mutant
He does kind of look like a mini Benedict Cumberbatch so they weren't entirely off.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
A coworker of mine a few years ago was telling me about his dad. Said the guy was named after general Grant. "Ulysses?" I asked. Nope.

Guy's name is seriously just General Grant (Lastname).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Today, a really sweet older man showed me photos of his great-grandsons. Mang (not sure of the spelling, but rhymes with wang) and Maestro.
When I was unable to completely hide my surprise at the names, he just nodded his head, and said "I know" in a really disheartened way.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

That's loving incredible. It's almost David Ryder levels of dumb.

Edit: also seeing the letter start with Dear Lunchbag, is making me laugh so goddamn hard. I kind of want a dramatic reading of that letter.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Holly Bible

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I met a white girl named Africa.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
Living in a rural hicktown, I hear ridiculous names all the time. The saddest thing I think I've seen is my best friend's evil fiance tearing into him for "being too loving stupid to spell his own daughter's name".

The name? Haylee. The kid is about 3 years old and the fiance still resents the fact he wouldn't let her spell it "Haeyileighe" or whatever. "SHE COULD OF BEEN loving SPECIAL BUT NOT NO MORE!!" :byodame:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Loupcianna

e: I assume it's pronounced like Luciana.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Loup is a rare but real name yeah (for men and women) and the p is indeed silent.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I met a white girl named Africa.

It's like white people named Chico, it's where they were conceived :v:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

The White Dragon posted:

Portugal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The White Dragon posted:

Grandmascouch Leftcushion Johnson, you put that ice cream back right now!