Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Fulchrum posted:

Because as we all know from history, Japan never did a single objectionable thing in that entire war before mid 1942. Or does the US doing something bad somehow justify the Rape of Nanking retroactively?

Absolutely not? An atrocity is never justified by another atrocity. If I didn't know better, I'd think that you were trying to put words in my mouth. "Longstanding animosity exacerbated by unjust treatment of immigrants between two nations discourages anti-war dissent" is not an unreasonable thing to say. You said that you had never heard of a Japanese equivalent of the July 20th plot, I simply gave a potential explanation as to why and a jumping off point in the Japanese Communist Party if you wanted to look into what anti-war resistance did occur Showa-era Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

fade5 posted:

Same here. It's almost refreshing to see a Republican acknowledging that Obama is bombing the crap out ISIL, even if he threw in the standard dumbass talking points with it.

He's not commending Obama or acknowledging the bombing. Obama recently ask for war powers from congress, so now republicans have to figure out what opinion to have one this (making sure not to side with Obama). Payne, at the very least, hasn't changed his view towards ISIL because of Obama.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

xthetenth posted:

Anti-Japanese sentiment was a thing at the time (and yes the immigration policy disputes going back to ~1900 did cause friction if not nearly enough to silence dissent on its own), while anti-German sentiment for reasons other than the war had been resolved over a century before. So it wasn't playing off existing animus.

Also Japan in that period was a train wreck waiting to happen. There's stuff like assassinations all over the place which helps create a self-selecting clique taking the country to war.

Japan in the 1930s is often called a period of "Government by Assassination".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did you know that Dick Morris employs a cartoonist? He does!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rorus Raz posted:

Bad Reporter should be really lovely since it's barely a cartoon in the strict sense of anything, but somehow the stupid headlines work.

Its basically the good parts of The Onion without having to write a story that draws out and kills the joke

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

zoux posted:

Show your work. Please explain exactly how Obama has done this, either actually or metaphorically.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's blatant bullshit until you put oversized ears on Obama, and then it becomes a political cartoon.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Met posted:

It's blatant bullshit until you put oversized ears on Obama, and then it becomes a political cartoon.
I think that is too long for the thread title though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Met posted:

Do you see how sad the US Military?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

zoux posted:

I usually don't care about accuracy in portrayal of guns, but come on. How is that gun even supposed to work?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

I have a hard time believing Dick Morris would hire anyone who de-emphasizes feet quite that much.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have a hard time believing Dick Morris would hire anyone who de-emphasizes feet quite that much.

Please tell me that Dick Morris has a well-known foot fetish.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Please tell me that Dick Morris has a well-known foot fetish.

You didn't know about it? It's why he got fired from the Clinton White House, one of his call girls blabbed to the press.

That article leaves it out, but apparently he had a real thing for toe-sucking in particular.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not My Leg posted:

I usually don't care about accuracy in portrayal of guns, but come on. How is that gun even supposed to work?

If you wanted, you could give the gently caress who drew the cartoon the benefit of the doubt, and suppose that the gun's malformed shape is intentional! Obama isn't give our troops proper guns!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

D.N. Nation posted:

Show your work. Please explain exactly how Obama has done this, either actually or metaphorically.

Umm excuse me but the war powers Obama is asking for is for a limited engagement for a limited time, anything short of all out war forever is just aiding the enemy

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So what's the Lukovich trying to say there?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Why is that bungler Obama draped around Jeb's neck?

Ann Telnaes posted:

In case you’ve forgotten why having another Bush in office is a bad idea:

Dick Cheney
WMD’s
Mission Accomplished
Wiretapping
Enhanced interrogation
Dick Cheney
Katrina
Evildoers
The Decider
Karl Rove
Abstinence sex education
Compassionate conservatism
Dick Cheney
Energy task force
Donald Rumsfeld
Putin’s eyes
Bring ‘em on
AG Gonzales
My Pet Goat
Harriet Myers
Dick Cheney
Dick Cheney
Dick Cheney

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I like it. Ann Telnaes is pretty great.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

No garbage political opinions, no godawful lovely forced pun-reference, an inoffensive newspaper joke, and no homunculus children. This is the best cartoon he's ever made.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Holy poo poo, Skye gets an appreciable personality and gets to make a joke at waifu's expense two strips in a row. Also, there aren't any zingers about Obama. Who killed Muir and took over his comic?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The Washington Post made a Venn Diagram of Jeb's foreign policy team and it's a little scary:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/02/18/jeb-bushs-foreign-policy-team-is-eerily-familiar-in-1-venn-diagram/

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lemming posted:

No garbage political opinions, no godawful lovely forced pun-reference, an inoffensive newspaper joke, and no homunculus children. This is the best cartoon he's ever made.

:colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fulchrum posted:

^That too.

There was a huge fuss a while back about prequels to Watchmen. Guessing Bolling thinks of ghis thing the same way.

Except To Kill A Mockingbird was written as a prequel to Go Set A Watchman.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

TheMaskedChemist posted:

Holy poo poo, Skye gets an appreciable personality and gets to make a joke at waifu's expense two strips in a row. Also, there aren't any zingers about Obama. Who killed Muir and took over his comic?

Mythological Greek lady keep writing comics!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Daily Telegraph's coverage of the HSBC files – The Daily Telegraph’s former chief political commentator, Peter Oborne, has called for an independent inquiry into the paper’s editorial guidelines over its lack of coverage of the HSBC tax story, which he described as a “fraud on its readers”"

Telegraph:

Limpet teeth set new strength record; Ukraine conflict: Poroshenko calls for UN peacekeepers

Independent:

Mail:
Mac on... Church of England's 'shopping list' of left-wing policies (pdf link)

'Altogether now. One more time!... "We'll keep the red flag flying here..."'

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sadly not surprising at all.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

There is not a single loving thing about this comic I understand.

Who is Robert Pittenger?
Why is he being compared to Joe McCarthy?
Why is Winston Churchhill the one doing the comparison? I have never heard of Churchhill ever saying one thing about Joe McCarthy. Is there a famous Churchhill quotes saying someone is the someone of his day? Is that the way one of his quotes ends and I'm just unfamiliar with it? "We shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them in the cities, and someone someone is the new Joe McCarthy"? "We have nothing to offer but blood, sweat, and toil, along with someone someone who is the new Joe McCarthy?" "Yes, madam, but tomorrow I'll be sober, and you'll still be the new Joe McCarthy!"?

I'm really at a loss here.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

alnilam posted:

I think people were talking about "Germans in general," not people internal to the Nazi party.
Well the only actual example of resistance Fulchrum brought up was the July 20th Plot which was an attempt by some Nazi officials at assassinating Hitler and instigating a coup in the hope of negotiating a cease-fire with the Allies, so I assumed that's what he meant. If he meant resistance from the general populace that's even more laughable, because after Hitler's purges in the 30s there was barely a hint of dissent for the entirety of the war.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Eschers Basement posted:

There is not a single loving thing about this comic I understand.

Who is Robert Pittenger?
Why is he being compared to Joe McCarthy?
Why is Winston Churchhill the one doing the comparison? I have never heard of Churchhill ever saying one thing about Joe McCarthy. Is there a famous Churchhill quotes saying someone is the someone of his day? Is that the way one of his quotes ends and I'm just unfamiliar with it? "We shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them in the cities, and someone someone is the new Joe McCarthy"? "We have nothing to offer but blood, sweat, and toil, along with someone someone who is the new Joe McCarthy?" "Yes, madam, but tomorrow I'll be sober, and you'll still be the new Joe McCarthy!"?

I'm really at a loss here.

Robert Pittenger (born August 15, 1948) is an American politician who has been the U.S. Representative for North Carolina's 9th congressional district since 2013.
Pittenger: Obama ‘the Neville Chamberlain of our day’

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Not My Leg posted:

That was pretty striking to me too. I'm convinced that I could describe a gun over the phone to someone that's never seen one and the result would be a more recognizable firearm than whatever the gently caress that poo poo's supposed to be.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Duckbag posted:

Joe Biden gets photographed really close to women that probably would prefer if he wasn't that close. Also Bo is a good dog and understands complicated commands.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

You could probably do this for any politician. Politics is one huge incestuous clusterfuck.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Duckbag posted:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oh god, he's actually becoming Onion Joe

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Man, British political cartoonists really like animal anuses, don't they.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 19, 2015

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Yeah, okay, now that cartoon makes sense. Thanks.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lemming posted:

Seriously, he really raised the bar for himself on this one.
Hell, if he had actually drawn it, I'd even give it a pass as "Decent."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

So, Skye is pretty much Muir's self-insert in this one.

Biden has been a (gender-specific) close talker for years before Onion Joe existed. I remember, during the '08 campaign, him putting his hands on the shoulders of some pixie-cutted lass in Cleveland and more or less yelling in her face something something about clean coal.

Not all ladies mind it when Joe gets close, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

Not all ladies mind it when Joe gets close, mind you.

Looks like the guys might, though.

• Locked thread