Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is gigabyte ok with removing the stock cooler like evga/msi are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Is gigabyte ok with removing the stock cooler like evga/msi are?

Yep. They don't even have a "screw you" sticker like evga and msi do.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Subjunctive posted:

There is a version of the 970 that fixes the memory issue, and it's called the 980.

Whenever you find a scenario where a 970 GPU surrenders to downsampling and stutter, you won't be able to the play just smooth without similiar issues on a 980 GPU.

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

HERAK posted:

What do people think of EVGA cards, this one in particular? I'm about to put together a new build and the memory issue with the 970 caused me to hold off, but the step up programme seems appealing, jumping up to a 980 or what ever else nvidia release soon sounds like a good deal. Has anyone used it? Do you think it is worth it?

If you want their top end get the FTW+ since it has the new cooler they are using that's got a cooling plate over the memory and VRM's etc. I've got one in my PC and I can't hear it at all even at load.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yay picture time! One of our boxes of test GPUs at the office. I'd lay them out on a table but I'm lazy.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

I also plan to OC the everloving piss out of this thing

I meant to ask, do the 970/980 let you overvolt? Will they ever? I miss the poo poo like the AMD stuff where you could volt them, and they'd all have a switch for dual BIOS.

Was that something NVidia used to do as well or am I remembering?

Subjunctive posted:

Yay picture time! One of our boxes of test GPUs at the office. I'd lay them out on a table but I'm lazy.

Just let us know when you upgrade and need to liquidate those..

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Zero VGS posted:

I agree...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Zero VGS posted:

I meant to ask, do the 970/980 let you overvolt? Will they ever? I miss the poo poo like the AMD stuff where you could volt them, and they'd all have a switch for dual BIOS.

Was that something NVidia used to do as well or am I remembering?

They let you go up to 1.21v now, before you used to have to bios mod for that. There isn't a switch quite like that but there is a button to switch profiles, so that'd effectively be just as easy. Unless I'm misreading what you're asking. I haven't been following bios modding the 9 series parts because they overclock so well on their own but perhaps there is more room now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

veedubfreak posted:

I tried 970s without waterblocks, and its the size of the fan that annoys the poo poo out of me. I also plan to OC the everloving piss out of this thing, that's why I got the G1 instead of a reference card. Gonna sell my last 290 while it still has a bit of value and probably just wait until the die shrunk parts. I was surprised to see how small the 980 die is compared to the 290.

Plus it's been almost a year and a half since I had a real upgrade, I was itching.

What clocks did you end up with, I saw about 1.6ghz boost with my G1 980.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Gwaihir posted:

What clocks did you end up with, I saw about 1.6ghz boost with my G1 980.

I still have to put the computer back together. I let it dry out and leak test last night.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Looking to upgrade my GTX 760 and after reading some real world benchmarks I have a question: Are there any other reasons to choose a GTX 980 over a GTX 970 other than getting that 500MB of VRAM and gaining an extra 10 FPS in game?

I've been saving my pennies for a new GPU after getting a 2560x1440 monitor and I'm trying to justify spending the extra $200. Every thing I read says that the GTX 980 is better for 2560x1440 gaming but I wanted to know if there were other reasons as to why. Any quality of life advantages or concerns?

VEdit: Word.

Kaustik fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 18, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Buy a 970

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I drive the heck out of a 2560x1440 with a 970.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

There's a bunch of visually simplistic games (Dark Souls 2 as an example) that'll run stable at 4k60 via DSR on a 970.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Subjunctive posted:

I drive the heck out of a 2560x1440 with a 970.

What detail levels? I find if I want maxed details and 60 fps I have to keep it at 1920 x 1080 on my 970. Haven't really fooled with overclocking though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Panty Saluter posted:

What detail levels? I find if I want maxed details and 60 fps I have to keep it at 1920 x 1080 on my 970. Haven't really fooled with overclocking though.

Usually very high, depends on the game. I've OCd a reasonable amount, nothing unusual.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
My OC'd 970 performs within a few % of my previous 780ti OC'd. There is a lot of information out there about 780tis if you want to get an idea what kind of fps you'll be looking at with 1440p. OC makes a serious difference too, I'd plan on it if at all possible.

Personally I think its "very good" but I'd like a bit more. However, it's shocking how well it does all things considered, and most people thought the 780ti was nearly perfect performance for 1440p and the same level is attainable here as well

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have Afterburner and Nvidia Inspector installed. Is there a decent guide online for overclocking? I hate to just start goosing it and then burn the poor thing up :v:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Panty Saluter posted:

I have Afterburner and Nvidia Inspector installed. Is there a decent guide online for overclocking? I hate to just start goosing it and then burn the poor thing up :v:

As long as you don't mod the BIOS for additional voltage, there's nothing you can do to cause the card any significant damage.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

As long as you don't mod the BIOS for additional voltage, there's nothing you can do to cause the card any significant damage.

Oh cool. So open the taps and see if it bluescreens. I can remember that.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Mr.PayDay posted:

Do it! It is just an amazing gaming experience!

Got my dual 970s installed the other day. Everything runs smooth as butter on my g-sync display, it's really fuckin sweet. Overkill for 1080p? Maybe...but it looks AMAZING.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp, I think I'm done with Gigabyte motherboards. This is the second time this piece of poo poo has done this. Oddly enough it did exactly the same thing when I tried my first 980. The board acts like it doesn't see the 24pin power cable. I can short the 24pin and the board lights up just fine as if it had been powered up, but plug the 24 pin back in, and nothing. Guess it's off to Microcenter again for a new board.

And before anyone says anything about the leak, it had over 24 hours to dry out and is doing the exact same bullshit it did last time I tried to install a 980.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Aren't Gigabyte boards the ones that have an extra set of pins for powering the PCIe slots that literally nobody else has? The parts picking thread discourages Gigabyte boards because of that kind of bullshit.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

isndl posted:

Aren't Gigabyte boards the ones that have an extra set of pins for powering the PCIe slots that literally nobody else has? The parts picking thread discourages Gigabyte boards because of that kind of bullshit.

Pretty much every higher end board these days has an additional molex connector down the bottom to supply additional power to the PCIE slots to lesson the load on the 24 pin connector. It's much more common on X99 and X79, but it is sneaking into Z97 as well. The controversy with Gigabyte was that some of their boards had instability issues with standard setups (not crazy OC setups, 1-2 cards) without the additional connector, pointing to cheapening out somewhere. Somehow this was extrapolated to "all boards with additional PCIE power are cheap and crappy" which led to Thread Drama™, and a motherboard thread that is still full of bias and inaccuracy.

For reference, the added connector is a useful, proven feature that goes all the way back to the Intel Skulltrail days.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ah, so it's an issue, but not nearly as much of an issue as people made it out to be. Good to know.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That being said there are other serous issues with gigabyte mobos, which someone who isn't phone posting right now can go into. I would not be buying one.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

fletcher posted:

Got my dual 970s installed the other day. Everything runs smooth as butter on my g-sync display, it's really fuckin sweet. Overkill for 1080p? Maybe...but it looks AMAZING.

Great to read that you enjoy your "investment".:buddy: 1080p Overkill? Maybe. But maybe you want to upgrade to a 27" Monitor someday; you are already set/prepared for 1440p now.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My GTX 680 has either magically developed coil whine after a year of whatever or its fan has started to need lubrication because even at idle speeds I hear a squeak or chirp every couple seconds and it's pretty drat irritating. Tried blowing dust out of the card and that hasn't even changed the sound. Has anyone had to deal with something like this and would it be worth taking the fan assembly off the card to clean and re-lubricate the fan? Think it's a sleeve fan so I'm not even sure how to / if I can lube those up.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can, try to just rip the front of the fan off. If it doesnt come and you feel like you're about to break the thing, just pry it as open as it will come and pack it full of dielectric grease or something and it'll quiet down after you run it for a while and the grease works its way onto the spindle. Or you can buy another fan for like four bucks, which may or may not be more of a pain in the rear end depending on how the wire for it is routed.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 19, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

K8.0 posted:

...pack it full of dielectric grease...

Sewing machine oil, just a drop'll do ya.

http://www.amazon.com/4-oz-Sewing-Machine-Oil/dp/B000H8Q41Y

http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 19, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Make sure it's actually the video card and not a hard drive or something.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
GTX 980 Ti announcement soon? Still waiting on this reposted table to make good on its rumors

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Nvidia has already said that the 980 is the full chip. The Ti would have to be a different chip. Looks like another videocardz made up picture.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There will be an nVidia something to counter the rumored AMD Fiji XT R9 390X. It's reasonable to guess it might come in variants named 980Ti and/or Titan, though it's not necessarily likely the actual specs will match whatever videocardz has been posting. We'll find out actual information when there's an actual announcement.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

veedubfreak posted:

Nvidia has already said that the 980 is the full chip. The Ti would have to be a different chip. Looks like another videocardz made up picture.

That table shows the 980Ti being the GM200, though, right?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

veedubfreak posted:

They could go insane and straight to a 990 double whammy.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

veedubfreak posted:

It's more than likely fake, but it does list a different chip/die size.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Boiled Water posted:

They could go insane and straight to a 990 double whammy.

What I'm wondering is if the expected 970 with larger frame buffer will be hard-capped at 7GB instead of eight.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

suddenlyissoon posted:

I tried Newegg for the hell of it on Friday after I saw a post on r/nvidia. First I chatted with them and when I brought up the memory issue they immediately offered me a full refund (I was just a little over 30 days from my purchase date). Just to see what would happen, I just said something to the effect of I was unsure of what I should do because I couldn't be without a GPU due to no on-board video. She immediately set up a call with a supervisor who called me yesterday. When she called I explained that I had purchased the card based on the published specs and it concerned me since I was moving to a 1440p monitor soon. She offered then offered the full refund or a 25% refund if I wanted to keep the card. So, $90 back in my pocket and I can still take advantage of the EVGA step-up program if I'd like.

With the way that the comments in that thread read, I'm sure those dipshits went in with an argumentative mentality and gave the reps hell. I could clearly tell she had no idea what the problem was (she called it a "storage issue") but I do think she probably had discretion as to what to do for the customer. Whether it was because I was polite and thankful or that I'm just a premier member who buys a lot from them, I don't know.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2voox5/great_news_about_newegg_gtx_970_returns/con8xyw

Just a note: this no longer works.

Granted I got my 970 in September and they refused to give me a partial refund/credit. They did offer to still allow me to RMA the card for the full amount though.

Just tried it because I'm poor and need the money, but heads up that they're not falling for it anymore.

Maybe it works if you're willing to give them a really hard time about it, but I'm not willing to do that.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Not that I want to give NVidia a pass for the 970 debacle, but it is also kind of telling when people are like "This is an outrage" and Newegg is like "Okay, send it back, full refund", and everyone is like "Oh it's still the best overall card in existence, I just want free monies".

I don't think I can find a single person who outright returned the thing and got an AMD, even out of spite.