Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

OAquinas posted:

That said, while they're all too willing to sell the original creators their own IP back to them to reprint books, they're not likely to sign over the rights to make a video game any time soon (since they're video game producers themselves, kinda). I wouldn't say it's impossible, but given the budgets required for AA-AAA games and the legal pitfalls involved I don't see any studio with the cachet to win the VG rights from CCP getting investment capital for this / touching this.

They bought the IP originally to make a game, but that turned out to be a lot of hard work and effort and the CCP devs are basically ADHD-addled children who hyperfocus on things that they care about and can't spare a moment's thought for anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Pope Guilty posted:

They bought the IP originally to make a game, but that turned out to be a lot of hard work and effort and the CCP devs are basically ADHD-addled children who hyperfocus on things that they care about and can't spare a moment's thought for anything else.

Right, but that doesn't change the fact that they still own it and aren't doing anything with it now that they've liquidated Atlanta. They're lazy enough that if you came to them with a fleshed out plan and a suitcase of money they'd probably acquiesce, but good luck getting the seed cash to do this prior to securing the license. I could be offbase on this, but having watched CCP lurch around for the better part of a decade I don't see them giving out the VG license any time soon.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I've got a character optimization question for the camarilla edition mod. What are the breakpoints on auspex and celerity on a toreador with the camarilla edition version of the uncanny awareness history? How much are the +1 auspex and +2 dodge worth xp per xp when compared to the increased cost to increase celerity?

Obviously the extra points get more valuable the more you invest in auspex and dodge and celerity gets more expensive the higher you take it. But how high can you take celerity before it becomes a better idea to take something else for a history? And should you spend your starting discipline point on celerity so you don't have to pay premium for the second rank or is it better to go all in on auspex from the start?

Basically, is uncanny awareness a good choice for a history if I'm going for a matrix gun bunny build and planning to max all three?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I really hate old games and generally wont play any unless they're remade, but this has been the most fun and immersion I've had. The universe is very interesting, and I often go around asking NPC's all the questions and reading emails and things like that. I haven't really had this much interest in a videogame universe since STALKER.

Hollywood is kinda cool so far, though I expected it to be more populate (but then that would make bloodsucking a problem). Unrelatedly I hope Chunk the Officer keeps making cameos until the very end.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Avocados posted:

I really hate old games and generally wont play any unless they're remade, but this has been the most fun and immersion I've had. The universe is very interesting, and I often go around asking NPC's all the questions and reading emails and things like that. I haven't really had this much interest in a videogame universe since STALKER.

Hollywood is kinda cool so far, though I expected it to be more populate (but then that would make bloodsucking a problem). Unrelatedly I hope Chunk the Officer keeps making cameos until the very end.

One thing to remember is that most of the game is apparently supposed to be taking place on successive nights between the hours of 10pm and 5am, so that could explain the empty streets, to a degree.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The most immersive thing in this game is the fact that you can type on computers like they're a computer oh god and control c as the escape key/hack or whatever

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gyshall posted:

The most immersive thing in this game is the fact that you can type on computers like they're a computer oh god and control c as the escape key/hack or whatever

There was a WESP patch back in his early days where he added Alt-F4 as an easter egg keystroke to exit from computer stuff, but then it had the lovely side effect of quitting out of the game on Windows XP or something, even though it was disabled in the game itself. Initially a lot of people thought he was just trolling everyone by including it in the patch notes, but then a lot of people reported it worked correctly for them. Pretty hilarious.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Speaking of computers, is it generally best to choose either hacking OR lock picking, or should I keep leveling them up equally? I know with social skills it's best to focus on just one, but I'm not sure if it's the same for breaking and entering skills.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I do them roughly equally, since you get a number of trinkets, quest rewards and skill books to keep up. Lockpicking is also affected by Dexterity, so you can leave that at 8 or so with one of Mr. Ox's items and swapping out to clothes from leather.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Well my first playthrough is finished at 33 hours. I skipped some of the later sidequests because the combat was starting to get a bit tiresome. That said, I'm blown away by how great this game was. I had initially dismissed it because of the weird early 00's techno goth vampire vibe, but it really grew on me by the end of the game. Now I find the need to get a themed VBTM sticker to put on my laptop...

I'm really surprised there hasnt been a mod remake of the game yet. I feel like way more people need to hear about this, and if the combat was updated to be less morrowind-like, I think it would draw more people in. But easier said than done :shobon:

Also, regarding the ending: What happens if you use the sarcophagus key yourself instead of leaving it to LaCroix? Do you get blown up by the C4 along with him? That little tidbit kind of confused me, and im not sure how many ways the game can end.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Avocados posted:

Well my first playthrough is finished at 33 hours. I skipped some of the later sidequests because the combat was starting to get a bit tiresome. That said, I'm blown away by how great this game was. I had initially dismissed it because of the weird early 00's techno goth vampire vibe, but it really grew on me by the end of the game. Now I find the need to get a themed VBTM sticker to put on my laptop...

I'm really surprised there hasnt been a mod remake of the game yet. I feel like way more people need to hear about this, and if the combat was updated to be less morrowind-like, I think it would draw more people in. But easier said than done :shobon:

Also, regarding the ending: What happens if you use the sarcophagus key yourself instead of leaving it to LaCroix? Do you get blown up by the C4 along with him? That little tidbit kind of confused me, and im not sure how many ways the game can end.

There was a remake in development but it got a C&D a couple of months ago.

There was also a World of Darkness MMO in development by CCP games (Makers of EVE Online) but it got canned as well.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Avocados posted:

There was but then whoever it is that owns the IP these days shut it down even though they're not doing anything with the IP.

And you do get blown up along with LaCroix if you open it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Christ well that sucks. With that and Stalker 2 being canned, im seeing a horrible trend of really cool but underrated games denied a better future :(.

YellerBill posted:

There was but then whoever it is that owns the IP these days shut it down even though they're not doing anything with the IP.

And you do get blown up along with LaCroix if you open it

It wasn't really clear where the C4 came from or when the sarcophagus was manipulated by Jack, but I do know that really cool wolf-archaeologist dude told me not to mess with it. What was Jack's motive? I figure he put the bomb there for either person self absorbed enough to think they can rule all the Kindred, whether that be LaCroix or I.

Also, Malk is the next recommended clan to play as right? Should I install the camarilla mod too for the second playthrough? (My first was with the CQM).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Jack killed the crew of the Elizabeth Dane, stole the mummy, and rigged the coffin full of explosives.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Jack killed the crew of the Elizabeth Dane, stole the mummy, and rigged the coffin full of explosives.

For people confused by how he managed this (there are actually some), an important side note to Smiling Jack's background is that in life he was a pirate during the golden age of sail in the Caribbean. :pirate:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Ah man, I love the poo poo out of this game.

That Hotel still makes my hair stand on end.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Installed the poster mod that came with the Clan Quest mod and the posters are really ruining the vibe of the downtown apartment. Is there anyway to remove just the poster mod?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So I've been playing around with the Antitribu mod because why the gently caress not, and I have to say it's certainly interesting. For some loving reason, that Gimble guy is now involved in some sort of scheme involving a Gargoyle, the tattoo parlor's basement is now full of blood and has a prostitute corpse in it, a bunch of models got changed around for no reason beyond why the gently caress not, the Ocean House part had a mini-boss battle involving three Sabbat that are apparently Pander added at the beginning (before you get the key to the main entrance), but what really loving slayed me was this change to the Ocean House level:

For absolutely no god drat reason whatsoever, they added a TV showing a three-frame GIF of Count Orlok from Nosferatu. At this point, I just want to keep playing to see what other nutty poo poo they added just for the hell of it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wow, that sounds like a terrible hack job.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

TheMcD posted:

At this point, I just want to keep playing to see what other nutty poo poo they added just for the hell of it.

This mod was in development for how long again?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I wonder why nobody has tried making a less obtrusive HUD. Thats the mod I really want.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

YellerBill posted:

This mod was in development for how long again?

Must have been a lot. Here's a mummy.

For some reason, the blood thing that you normally fight here is now a mummy that can drain your blood and health from a distance. You have to shoot the three urns that are placed in the room because shut up they just are, then the mummy becomes vulnerable and you can kill it. Puzzle bosses, yay!

EDIT: And yes, my character is wearing football pads. It's an item that you can buy from Trip's that gives you extra armor (+2 Bashing and Lethal Soak) at a -1 to Appearance. To unequip it, you have to manually drop the item, then remember where you left it so you can pick it up again. Makes dialogue sessions very tedious when I'm not sure if the -1 to Seduction is relevant or not.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 1, 2015

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Have you got to Brother Canker yet? The plague-bearer Nosferatu in the sewers? He summons ghost wolves continuously through the battle and they keep getting summoned even after he dies, meaning you can never end the battle and escape from his hidey-hole.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

was this made by 15 year olds?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Too young to know about Mummies and other minor splats I think. More like :spergin: who thought putting in awesome references without explaining what to do, because "everyone knows Mummies need their jars" or something like that.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
That's too bad, I was hoping BAnti would be good... but it seemed too ambitious to be fully realizable.

Not altering the main story makes no sense but doing it would be really difficult.

I guess I'll stick with Tremere instead of Lasombra and play it with companion mod, clan quest mod and the built in unno patch.

Is that still the best mod combo for an optimally fun playthrough?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
To be honest this looks so dumb that I kinda want to play it. They've accidentally made their mod compelling.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ProfessorCirno posted:

To be honest this looks so dumb that I kinda want to play it. They've accidentally made their mod compelling.

I'm finding it to be compelling as well, but it's also hard as balls. Weapons seem to be more lethal, so you need to watch out more. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't also gently caress with the combat encounters to make them more numerous and difficult ("Hey, guess what, you just arrived at the warehouse you're supposed to blow up! Great, now here, have six guys to fight at once, three with ranged weapons! Have fun surviving!").

Not to mention the constant blood loss you've got going. It doesn't help that I rolled a Giovanni, either - they have to drain 50% of the victim's blood pool before they even start to get any benefit from it, so that makes it even more annoying.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
No, what sucks is that everyone has at least twice as much blood and when you suck blood the camera starts spinning around you, faster and faster and faster for a long, long time, until you the player want to throw up blood.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, I'm retracting my earlier statement. I found this mod to be compelling, but now it's just getting on my tits.

First of all, combat turned from "lovely, but easy to deal with" to "lovely and hard to deal with as well". As of right now, my strategy for any combat involving more than one person on the other side is "cast Necromancy to get some meat shields up, cast Potence to get some good damage going, and hope like hell I don't get attacked because I'm apparently made of tissue paper". Seriously, trading shots with a human with pistols shouldn't lead to me losing about three quarters of my health. I appreciate that early game Firearms don't blow chunks anymore, but they might have overdone it a bit.

Furthermore, this mod is wayyyy too combat happy. You know where they put a mini-boss in? The loving cutscene where Nines saves you from the Sabbat. After you have your conversation with him, a random Sabbat just attacks you out of nowhere and you have to fight him for no reason whatsoever. Nines doesn't even help unless he gets attacked first.

But what really made me go "is this mod taking the loving piss or something" was what I found in the Tremere chantry. I went to check out the room that had the gargoyle book in it, only to find it locked with a four-digit lock. I went to Strauss's room and found a sheet of paper that gave me the correct passcode. Well, that's halfway true. It gave me this:

You know, I always said that VtM:B needed more equasions to solve. Oh wait, no I loving didn't. What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yep, made by high schoolers.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MartianAgitator posted:

Have you got to Brother Canker yet? The plague-bearer Nosferatu in the sewers? He summons ghost wolves continuously through the battle and they keep getting summoned even after he dies, meaning you can never end the battle and escape from his hidey-hole.

I just got to this, and this statement is not quite true. If you gently caress with the valves in the front of the room, you can open a grate in the back of the room you can use to escape. Of course, the quest will never progress because combat does indeed never end, but hey, at least you don't have to reload an earlier save. Either that or we're just too stupid to figure out the masterpiece puzzle in this boss fight.

loving hell, why is there so much wrong with this mod?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TheMcD posted:

OK, I'm retracting my earlier statement. I found this mod to be compelling, but now it's just getting on my tits.

First of all, combat turned from "lovely, but easy to deal with" to "lovely and hard to deal with as well". As of right now, my strategy for any combat involving more than one person on the other side is "cast Necromancy to get some meat shields up, cast Potence to get some good damage going, and hope like hell I don't get attacked because I'm apparently made of tissue paper". Seriously, trading shots with a human with pistols shouldn't lead to me losing about three quarters of my health. I appreciate that early game Firearms don't blow chunks anymore, but they might have overdone it a bit.

Furthermore, this mod is wayyyy too combat happy. You know where they put a mini-boss in? The loving cutscene where Nines saves you from the Sabbat. After you have your conversation with him, a random Sabbat just attacks you out of nowhere and you have to fight him for no reason whatsoever. Nines doesn't even help unless he gets attacked first.

But what really made me go "is this mod taking the loving piss or something" was what I found in the Tremere chantry. I went to check out the room that had the gargoyle book in it, only to find it locked with a four-digit lock. I went to Strauss's room and found a sheet of paper that gave me the correct passcode. Well, that's halfway true. It gave me this:

You know, I always said that VtM:B needed more equasions to solve. Oh wait, no I loving didn't. What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Can someone make a lets play of Antribu?

It looks like the kind of disaster you want to see others suffer through and not experience it first hand

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Thanks.

Further fun adventures in mod world:

So I opened that door using that passkey, and got both the book and a weird message telling me to go to Club Confession if I wanted to know more about gargoyles. So I went there, didn't find poo poo about gargoyles, but instead dealt with the "annoying ghoul talking poo poo and threatening the Masquerade" problem through liberal application of axe to face. So of course somebody spots it because there are many more people about on the streets in this mod and I find myself running through the alleys looking for a manhole. I didn't find a manhole. Instead, I found two biker dudes (one of them had Jack's head, by the way) attempting to rape a prostitute in an alley. The prostitute was also topless, because why the gently caress not I guess. So I go RoboCop on their asses and for a reward, I get a free session with her - meaning one free feeding session, which healed up the damage I took from the combat and that was about it.

That was... pointful?

superstepa posted:

Can someone make a lets play of Antribu?

It looks like the kind of disaster you want to see others suffer through and not experience it first hand

I just might hang this on to the ongoing LP I'm currently running. I was just about to finish it, but this is giving me so much interesting material that I feel I just have to share this. I was feeling a bit of an LP burnout at the end because the end of the game is pretty boring, but this stuff is so loving dumb that it might just reinvigorate me.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

TheMcD posted:

I just might hang this on to the ongoing LP I'm currently running. I was just about to finish it, but this is giving me so much interesting material that I feel I just have to share this. I was feeling a bit of an LP burnout at the end because the end of the game is pretty boring, but this stuff is so loving dumb that it might just reinvigorate me.

If you don't want to continue doing the LP you could ask in the thread if anyone else would be interested in continuing it. It's definitely the sort of thing I'd be interested in seeing in the LP, maybe even as a less detail-heavy version than the first run that focuses more on the changes now that we've seen the (mostly original) game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

YellerBill posted:

If you don't want to continue doing the LP you could ask in the thread if anyone else would be interested in continuing it. It's definitely the sort of thing I'd be interested in seeing in the LP, maybe even as a less detail-heavy version than the first run that focuses more on the changes now that we've seen the (mostly original) game.

Oh, I'm definitely doing this. The big problem I was having was that the end of the regular game was really dragging me down with its repeated tedium ("hey look, more enemies, I killed them", loving repeat forever), but this stuff has a lot of new and actually interesting things - LPing is a lot easier if you're actually showing something interesting off. I also had the idea of doing it in an abridged fashion - since most of the dialogue is unchanged, it can save a lot of work just skipping through things and showing off the changes, of which there, to the mod's credit, are a lot of. Just that most of the new things are poo poo, but hey, that's still like a 50% accuracy, right?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
You guys will love the Engrish for sure.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MartianAgitator posted:

Oh, the lovely English that I so loved from our dear WESP shows up here too? Oh man, this is going to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

MartianAgitator posted:

I can't wait. :getin:

• Locked thread