Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Snakes in a can posted:

Hellsau = a big babby

ftfy

e: page 100, legit question: which of the arty lines should I be trying, as far as being the most forgiving? I have the hummel unlocked from back in the day, but haven't played since they introduced t10 arty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

SoUncool posted:

e: page 100, legit question: which of the arty lines should I be trying, as far as being the most forgiving? I have the hummel unlocked from back in the day, but haven't played since they introduced t10 arty.

M53/55 probably most forgiving and best overall arty (yes it's just tier 9). Conqueror Gun Carriage is probably the flat-out most powerful, plus that line goes through the FV304, which is probably the most fun SPG to play and the one most likely to induce rage from your victims.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

G.W. Panther (German line) is also decent. It's semi-turreted for wide traverse, reloads in under 30 seconds, and is accurate, if you don't mind stopping at Tier 7. Also has the full selection of shells--HE, HEAT, wide splash HE.
The Tier 10 on that line may also be changed at some point to a 305mm high angle mortar, from the current 210mm gun on an E-100 chassis.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I think I read that that's not actually happening and the 305 will be... well, god knows what. Maybe a mission reward tank? Or just mothballed.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Prav posted:

I think I read that that's not actually happening and the 305 will be... well, god knows what. Maybe a mission reward tank? Or just mothballed.

That's a shame, I'm happy with the G.W. Panther but high tier artillery could use some more variation. Weaning more German lines off the E-100 chassis would also be nice.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

saintonan posted:

M53/55 probably most forgiving and best overall arty (yes it's just tier 9).

I am not sure why, but I've yet to have a really good game in it. I can never seem to hit anything. I know it is probably just me, but at least in the 261 I can actually hit the targets I am shooting at.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's got pretty awful gun bloom, that might be what's tripping you up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My problem with the M53/55 is that I still have the stock gun, so I'm hitting everything but mostly doing 200-450 damage a hit with small splash, which isn't enough for a 40s reload or whatever it is.

My record was landing a direct hit on the nose of an IS-7 for 76 damage

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

NTRabbit posted:

My problem with the M53/55 is that I still have the stock gun, so I'm hitting everything but mostly doing 200-450 damage a hit with small splash, which isn't enough for a 40s reload or whatever it is.

The stock gun grind made me want to quit the game. I thought since I had the T92 I would have the top gun unlocked already. I was wrong.

The 261 has really spoiled me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

NTRabbit posted:

My record was landing a direct hit on the nose of an IS-7 for 76 damage

I've had two direct hits with M53 gold HE for zero damage. HE is the worst mechanic.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I'm grinding the M44 and I might just give up. The Soviet line all the way through the Obj 261 was so much more fun. Then again, I played through the Soviets before the arty nerfs that came out a while back... version 7.x or something? I don't remember, but I remember shell travel speed was slowed down significantly.

I can't hit poo poo with the M44 and even when I do, the damage isn't that great. Maybe 250 average on a heavy. The leFH is waaaaay better.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm grinding the M44 and I might just give up. The Soviet line all the way through the Obj 261 was so much more fun. Then again, I played through the Soviets before the arty nerfs that came out a while back... version 7.x or something? I don't remember, but I remember shell travel speed was slowed down significantly.

I can't hit poo poo with the M44 and even when I do, the damage isn't that great. Maybe 250 average on a heavy. The leFH is waaaaay better.

261 really does make that grind feel like it is worth it. It really is something special when you consistently hit your shots as an arty. I use only HE on it though, I know AP can do gently caress loads of damage, but it can also do NO damage (bounce, tracks eat it ETC., total miss). I rather get consistent damage and gently caress up their crew than risk bouncing.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

NTRabbit posted:

If you've stuck vents and a rammer in there, you should be looking at 26-27sec reload.

Uranium 235 posted:

I've never played the M44, but when I play a tank of the tiers it sees I loving hate the thing. So much goddamned bullshit when I think myself in cover, and penning me everfuckingwhere. The penning might just be the 240pen gold shells though. Anyway, my point is that if you find the M44 bad then uh...the rest of the line might be horrible. The M12 has slightly better accuracy, but the M40/43 has worse again, and the M53/55 is more of the same. Though at least it has a semi-turret.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

261 really does make that grind feel like it is worth it.

Really? The gun traverse on the SU-14-2 makes me want to /wrists...and I hear the 212A isn't much better.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Rothmog posted:

Really? The gun traverse on the SU-14-2 makes me want to /wrists...and I hear the 212A isn't much better.

Same 8° traverse. Same everything but hp/t, really.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Valle posted:

If you've stuck vents and a rammer in there, you should be looking at 26-27sec reload.

I think it might be 34 without those, I just cbf logging in to check right now

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Rothmog posted:

I grinded out the 261(mostly) and T92 when they were not T10s, so I can't really say what the lower tiers are like. But the 261 does have a paperclips width of gun traverse, but it aims quickly and the shells move pretty fast. The lower tiers in that tree feel nothing like the 261. So just grit your teeth and go balls deep in that grind.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Mesadoram posted:

So just grit your teeth and go balls deep in that grind.

So playing artillery to progress feels like grinding your own dick off? Can't disagree.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've been having a grand old time in the M53/55. I got the T92 when it was an 8, and it is intolerable now; I sold it to pay for the IX. I've actually been wondering if the bigger gun is worth it, with 10 more seconds to load and twice the area to miss into. I have some all-whiff games, but most of the time I can ruin someone's day if they stop dancing in a med or TD.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

rockopete posted:

So playing artillery to progress feels like grinding your own dick off? Can't disagree.

Playing arty is literally one of the most infuriating things in this game. It is boring, its random, you will be constantly shooting at (and missing) psychics, you get poo poo XP, get called a piece of poo poo for hitting, get called a useless piece of poo poo for missing your shots, one scout gets into your base you will be riding the Bone Train to Fuckedville, your team will be assholes and not spot any loving thing until your look somewhere else and did I mention your shots missing all the loving time?

With that being said, arty is kinda important to the game.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
There was a horrible glut of artillery players for a while and you'd see matchmaker enemas with 9 tier VIII SPGs per side and no other tanks. They nerfed their balls off and ran out most of the clickers, and now arty levels are much more manageable. It can be incredibly frustrating and you're living and dying by the RNG, so if you don't love it, love it when playing arty then don't make yourself stick with it, it doesn't really change.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Mesadoram posted:

Playing arty is literally one of the most infuriating things in this game. It is boring, its random, you will be constantly shooting at (and missing) psychics, you get poo poo XP, get called a piece of poo poo for hitting, get called a useless piece of poo poo for missing your shots, one scout gets into your base you will be riding the Bone Train to Fuckedville, your team will be assholes and not spot any loving thing until your look somewhere else and did I mention your shots missing all the loving time?

With that being said, arty is kinda important to the game.

I've been doing arty missions today and I've had so many games where none of my shots go remotely close to the centre of the aiming circle. Then I get to the 'damage two tanks in one shot' mission and all my shots start penning when I'm aiming at a group so there's no splash damage. Just did this shot though which is probably my best luck all day:
http://a.pomf.se/opvhtg.webm

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

kemikalkadet posted:

I've been doing arty missions today and I've had so many games where none of my shots go remotely close to the centre of the aiming circle. Then I get to the 'damage two tanks in one shot' mission and all my shots start penning when I'm aiming at a group so there's no splash damage. Just did this shot though which is probably my best luck all day:
I'll have matches where I can't hit anything, until the very end when the last enemy tank has 10 hp and is running full speed, and I'll nail him. It's like the game is taunting me.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Wulfolme posted:

There was a horrible glut of artillery players for a while and you'd see matchmaker enemas with 9 tier VIII SPGs per side and no other tanks. They nerfed their balls off and ran out most of the clickers, and now arty levels are much more manageable. It can be incredibly frustrating and you're living and dying by the RNG, so if you don't love it, love it when playing arty then don't make yourself stick with it, it doesn't really change.

Yup, I got the two arty I will ever need for CW. Never grinding another arty tree again. Ever.

kemikalkadet posted:

RNG giveth, RNG taketh.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I have noticed that the M53 55 suffers more than other arties from not being on completely flat ground. If you are tilted in any direction, all bets are off as to where your shot will land. If you get it flat, it is pretty predictable. Shoot gold and you will always do at least splash damage unless your target moves at the last moment.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The thing that annoys me most about the campaign missions is you need to do them in every type of tank. You can only skip a type of tank if you do the secondary conditions for every single mission for the other four types.

I don't want to play arty and they shouldn't try to make me do it. I don't even care about the reward tank very much but I'd like to unlock the other campaigns for the silver.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Found a video depicting how otter felt Monday after the G fights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4liwP-gtmoo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

The thing that annoys me most about the campaign missions is you need to do them in every type of tank. You can only skip a type of tank if you do the secondary conditions for every single mission for the other four types.

I don't want to play arty and they shouldn't try to make me do it. I don't even care about the reward tank very much but I'd like to unlock the other campaigns for the silver.

Naw brother you just need to do the secondary for the fifteenth mission on the other lines. Good luck winning after doing 10k damage!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

You definitely do not have to do the secondary missions for every mission, just the 15th mission for each tree. I got my StuG IV and did not finish the artillery line (because gently caress being top 3 exp in artillery with the way exp mechanics work).

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I get top or 2nd in my LeFh a lot.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

I get top or 2nd in my LeFh a lot.

You need to deal two thousand damage. With the way the games are going with complete blowouts one way or the other, you don't have the five to ten minutes you need to chip away with the leFH onto tier sevens, and there just isn't enough HP in tier five games unless your team is catastrophically useless and the enemy team is extremely cowardly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sturer Emil: Top gun or stock gun with gold?

The stock gun has slightly better DPM and handling with only 4mm less pen, while the top gun only has 15 shells.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
At that tier 500 damages are a huge gently caress you. Also you really want to minimize the time you're exposed to enemy fire. How many times do you have the chance to fully exploit sustained dpm without being hit back? Not many.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

You need to deal two thousand damage. With the way the games are going with complete blowouts one way or the other, you don't have the five to ten minutes you need to chip away with the leFH onto tier sevens, and there just isn't enough HP in tier five games unless your team is catastrophically useless and the enemy team is extremely cowardly.

When I say a lot I think I really mean I clearly remember it happening one time and I choose to believe that it happened a few more times too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

When I say a lot I think I really mean I clearly remember it happening one time and I choose to believe that it happened a few more times too.

I'm pretty sure I had a 4300 damage win next to a 4100 damage loss in the leFH. This would be when it still got 150 pen HEAT and El Halluf was still horrific, but still.

The leFH will cause your team to win given enough time. You put out so many more rounds than other tier five artillery that you are much less beholden to RNG, but you don't get the surprise oneshots that tend to cause a flank to snowball so you're stuck hoping your team will survive and let you carry them, or hoping your team will actually fire their guns before dying horribly.

Oh and then you might run out of ammo. 42 rounds and 104 pen on the HEAT is not quite enough to kill all fifteen enemies.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

McGavin posted:

The stock gun has slightly better DPM and handling with only 4mm less pen, while the top gun only has 15 shells.

Top gun, The Sturer Emil is all about that top gun, it sacrifices everything for that top gun, hence why its a steaming piece of poo poo

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Can someone give me some tips on the Challenger? I'm just having a rotten time with it. Fast, no armor, no turret armor, no alpha, not enough penetration. I'm struggling with it quite a bit other than finding someplace off to the side, hiding and plinking away while hoping my team is able to not self-immolate.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

Running out of shells in a Sturer never happened to me in my games in it. I got within 1-2 shells a few times, but by that point things were either in the bag already or had completely gone to poo poo. It did make me have to be a lot more choosy with shots though. Instead of aiming for the most dangerous tank in a group, I'd go for something softer just to make sure the shot counted.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The bigger gun can exploit your gun depression better. Its camo is dog poo poo so you're less likely to die if you nudge your gun over a ridge, fire and back off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

so i think i've just had the most bullshit rng game i've ever had, and its a perfect example of "how?"