Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's like we agree that Amiibos suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

It's like we agree that Amiibos suck.

They should suck. I don't want any meaningful content to be gated by action figures.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh you're right, it's much cooler to buy dolls that do nothing interesting at all.

lol you're a loving idiot. people already foam at the mouth when games come incomplete or stacked with day 1 DLC like evolve, sure let's gate even more poo poo by forcing people to buy stupid toys. How about no, give me a full game and leave things as is, relegate amiibo to whatever dumb skins and bonus items that aren't integral to anything.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
ITT: People pissed that they weren't able to get a Marth amiibo

(I wasn't able to either :( )

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's like they wanted to cash in on the Skylanders thing, but with nothing that really did a Skylanders-like thing with the dolls.

I still don't quite get it, but the drat things are sold out everywhere so...?

Skylanders was brought to Nintendo. They were looking to do an exclusive deal with Nintendo and Nintendo passed on it. They went in a different direction and made oodles of cash. Amiibo is a direct effect of Nintendo kicking themselves in the rear end for passing up on Skylanders. Literally, they want to cash in on Skylanders after they passed on the chance to do so.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

Skylanders was brought to Nintendo. They were looking to do an exclusive deal with Nintendo and Nintendo passed on it. They went in a different direction and made oodles of cash. Amiibo is a direct effect of Nintendo kicking themselves in the rear end for passing up on Skylanders. Literally, they want to cash in on Skylanders after they passed on the chance to do so.

I'm glad they aren't tied to Skylanders crap and we get cool Nintendo dolls instead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I look at my amiibo collection as a neat display of fun Nintendo figurines that also happen to unlock a small handful of in-game trinkets. The value for me is with the physical plastic toy, not the DLC.

That said, Nintendon has so far been great about the content unlocked by amiibo. It's all small, inoffensive, but neat little extras. Costumes, extra drops in HW, an amiibo fighter in Smash. Nothing that's making non-amiibo-buyers feel like they're left behind, but just enough to put some extra value behind the toy

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I really have to know: how many amiibos have you bought to date, jivjov?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

I really have to know: how many amiibos have you bought to date, jivjov?

I have all of Wave 1 and 2 in hand, and the only one I'm missing from Wave 3 is Meta Knight, and I have a preorder down on him.

I have 2 of Wave 4 preordered so far, and a single Mario Series (toad)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
That's a total of 31. $400+.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I, too love dolls more than an adult should (which is not at all)

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Louisgod posted:

That's a total of 31. $400+.

Yes, but you see, since so many of them have appreciated in value such as Villager and Trainer, he has actually made money by spending money.
Funny how that works out.

...I bought three and ordered three more.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I think we can all agree that paper money is dead and the new currency will become rare Amiibo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't see anybody going into the beef jerky thread and calculating how much random posters have spent on wait nope you know what never mind

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Yes, but you see, since so many of them have appreciated in value such as Villager and Trainer, he has actually made money by spending money.

All I said is how much they all were. It's another thing if he sells them. :)

I sold my WFT, Marth and Villager for 3x what I paid for them, wish I would've grabbed them all on day 1 when they were sitting on the shelves.

epitasis posted:

I don't see anybody going into the beef jerky thread and calculating how much random posters have spent on wait nope you know what never mind

answer: too much

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jivjov posted:

I have all of Wave 1 and 2 in hand, and the only one I'm missing from Wave 3 is Meta Knight, and I have a preorder down on him.

I have 2 of Wave 4 preordered so far, and a single Mario Series (toad)

...And here I feel bad for playing videogames as much as I do and not being a more responsible adult. :stare:

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Remember, that's exactly what the Beanie Baby investors said.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
:psyduck: Goddamn, at least $400 of fatty jerky could be eaten for sustenance

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Scratch-O posted:

I say do whatever makes you happy but I don't really get the whole "I must buy every amiibo that is released" mentality, especially if you have to pay $40+ each for the ones you missed out on. Buy the ones you want, which is hopefully a few.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Scratch-O posted:

Could this thread also get an incomprehensible title like the Wii U thread?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Louisgod posted:

I say do whatever makes you happy but I don't really get the whole "I must buy every amiibo that is released" mentality, especially if you have to pay $40+ each for the ones you missed out on. Buy the ones you want, which is hopefully a few.

I like the idea of having the whole smash roster in amiibo form. Also, for some characters, this is the only merch of that particular character EVER, such as captain falcon. Hopefully I'll never have to pay high dollar for a missed one; I got lucky with the 3 rare Wave 1s, and the most I've spent on any single amiibo so far is $26

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone link me to the beef jerky thread!

:tviv:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone link me to the beef jerky thread!

:tviv:

I just checked my account, PM me if you're curious how much I spent over a 3 year period. :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I remember when toys were just toys and you rammed them into other toys going "blam blam arrrgh im gonna get you"

people talkin bout these cheap-rear end toys like they look at their breakfast spoon and say "YEAH i can eat with this but why doesnt it have a built in web browser"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Louisgod posted:

I just checked my account, PM me if you're curious how much I spent over a 3 year period. :v:

For once I'm not loving with you and thought there still might be a jerky thread.

But you should totally post your jerky W2

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Quest For Glory II posted:

I remember when toys were just toys and you rammed them into other toys going "blam blam arrrgh im gonna get you"

My kids do this with my amiibo. It's like Nintendo world war in my living room. Snapped Link's arm right off, but that's a matter of a hobby drill and a paper clip to fix, so whatever.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm digging these 3D Classics, but some are definitely beer than others. Heres some quick opinions, any more out that I'd like? Any news on any others coming out soon?

Kirby's Adventure: Looks great, fantastic game, and the short levels work perfect on a portable system.
Urban Champion: Looks fantastic, the giant sprites really pop.
Sonic: 3D didn't really add much.
Kid Icarus: Looks great if you like the original.
Xevious: 3D looks great and really adds to the sky/ground mechanic. I wish I had more arcade games on this.
Space Harrier: Looks and plays great, but don't use the screen shake gimmick. That was an instant headache.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
NINTENDO eSHOP: you should totally post your jerky W2

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

gypsyshred posted:

I'm digging these 3D Classics, but some are definitely beer than others. Heres some quick opinions, any more out that I'd like? Any news on any others coming out soon?

Kirby's Adventure: Looks great, fantastic game, and the short levels work perfect on a portable system.
Urban Champion: Looks fantastic, the giant sprites really pop.
Sonic: 3D didn't really add much.
Kid Icarus: Looks great if you like the original.
Xevious: 3D looks great and really adds to the sky/ground mechanic. I wish I had more arcade games on this.
Space Harrier: Looks and plays great, but don't use the screen shake gimmick. That was an instant headache.

Galaxy Force II is probably the best one. It's probably tied with the original arcade machine as best version of that particular game.

In a few weeks OutRun will also be up and unless something disastrous happens it will be amazing.

TwinBee is similar to Xevious with the added mechanics of power-ups and scoring points by collecting bells.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So Pokémon Shuffle was actually kinda decent, just as a game. I like puzzle games. I'll never buy any jewels, and I won't even play every day. It'll give me some entertainment in short bursts. For a free game, I'm not really asking for more.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Agrias120 posted:

I think we can all agree that paper money is dead and the new currency will become rare Amiibo.

Well they already have more value than Bitcoin.

I only own one Amiibo because the idea that there was a weapon in Hyrule Warriors I couldn't have without one bugged me. Still it looks nice so it's not like I'm upset about buying it.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Galaxy Force II is probably the best one. It's probably tied with the original arcade machine as best version of that particular game.

In a few weeks OutRun will also be up and unless something disastrous happens it will be amazing.

TwinBee is similar to Xevious with the added mechanics of power-ups and scoring points by collecting bells.

I'm not familiar with GFII, I'll give it a shot. Is Outrun going to be based on the arcade version?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
All the arcade games are ports of the original arcade versions, except for Altered Beast, because the Genesis version has parallax scrolling. And really, no one gives a gently caress about which version of Altered Beast they use.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Outrun is based on the arcade version but it runs at 60FPS now and they're using the fake Ferrari because gently caress paying for a license.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Awesome, thanks for the info. GFII is pretty epic, I'm digging it so far. I also picked up Afterburner II, it plays well, but the 3D is a little off. Its like I'm taking off of the Helicarrier.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amiibos are cool and good and I'm glad that Nintendo is back to making tons of money because of them

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I really enjoy Excitebike on 3D Classics even though I am terrible at it. It looks good in 3D, the extended screen width is well done, and now every AI cyclist looks different (purple guy #2 is now hunter green). I only wish that they had made a way to download and race other people's tracks, because I don't like to make my own but I like trying those made by others.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

JustJeff88 posted:

I really enjoy Excitebike on 3D Classics even though I am terrible at it. It looks good in 3D, the extended screen width is well done, and now every AI cyclist looks different (purple guy #2 is now hunter green). I only wish that they had made a way to download and race other people's tracks, because I don't like to make my own but I like trying those made by others.

Excite Bike: World Tour is the only game in the series that had this and now that functionality is gone :( I had fun torturing a friend with a couple tracks, though.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I wasn't a nintendo kid growing up so I missed out on Metroid, but I've recently got heavily into Metroid thanks to the re-release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the virtual console. Got myself Super Metroid too, been loving it.

Does a Samus amiibo get you any unlockable things in any games? (Other than you being able to fight against an AI Samus in Smash Bros? I haven't got Smash Bros yet.)

I feel the urge to get a Samus amiibo, but it would be nice it if it unlocks something rather than just being a figure.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Nope. (Edit: Might have misread, thought you were asking if the Samus one did anything in any of the games you mentioned)

Wikipedia has a handy list of what plastic doohickeys are compatible with what games.

Depending on the price point I'll probably pick some up when they come in the cheaper card versions, mainly for Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8, I guess. The costumes they can unlock in that One Piece game looked pretty great too, and given that I've liked the previous One Piece fighters, I'll probably get that game if they release it over here. Edit: Wait, using Amiibos with that would require me to get the Amiibo reader for the 3DS. Yeah, screw that.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

your evil twin posted:

I wasn't a nintendo kid growing up so I missed out on Metroid, but I've recently got heavily into Metroid thanks to the re-release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the virtual console. Got myself Super Metroid too, been loving it.

Does a Samus amiibo get you any unlockable things in any games? (Other than you being able to fight against an AI Samus in Smash Bros? I haven't got Smash Bros yet.)

I feel the urge to get a Samus amiibo, but it would be nice it if it unlocks something rather than just being a figure.

A costume for your mii in Mario Kart 8, a random weapon item or amount of rupees in Hyrule Warriors, Mario party 10 gets you board elements, and you can train her up in smash.