Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Learn Group Policy if you are going to admin Windows Networks.

Yeah, my boss thought I was a wizard when I removed the ability for people to play solitaire all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah, my boss thought I was a wizard when I removed the ability for people to play solitaire all day.

I'd probably get strung up if I removed that from users computers.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fenrisulfr posted:

"I was moving my computer and I think I broke a thing 'cause now my computer doesn't work!"

Hmm, I think I may see your problem.

The bits in the top left were stuck in the computer, the rest was sitting on the floor. I guess the DisplayPort cable was a bit short and their solution was to give the computer a big ol' yank. Still don't know where the rest of the plastic bits went. I was honestly kind of surprised that the DisplayPort on the computer still worked when I replaced the cable.
DisplayPort and HDMI are supposed to break like that to avoid destroying the port they're plugged into.

m.hache posted:

I'm starting to realize that faster work sets a precedence that I can't always adhere to.

Set the bar low is what I'm getting at.
I always wait 2-3 minutes before responding to support calls even when I'm doing nothing to avoid building unrealistic expectations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
An email came in from a client...

clueless doctor posted:

Please have Ozz81 allow me to download the entire Internet to my desktop at any time I cannot have any limitations whatsoever I am absolutely crippled with whatever they have me loaded on my computer to stay on 24 seven I want Greenway to stay on 24 seven and I don't want any limitations on email size.

I asked to get more clarification on what was put on his laptop that "crippled" it, no answer. Greenway is an app hosted on one of their servers, the only way he'd have access in and out of the office is over VPN, which is already setup on his laptop and he's been shown how to use it at least 4 times. His laptop has admin rights, there's no security software blocking him from doing anything, and the only other issues brought to my attention were blocked websites in web filtering that they wanted enabled for specific computers.

This is the same idiot I dealt with a month ago because he decided on a whim to upgrade a company laptop to Windows 8, then bitched because it wasn't the Pro version (his fault) and he had to spend more money, then it broke a bunch of his programs because the dipshit has no clue about application compatibility whatsoever. Just goes to prove my theory that no matter how many letters are behind your name, or how many years you went to school, you can still be a clueless, thoughtless, borderline-retarded human being with zero common sense.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The entire internet?

Cut him a quote for a few hundred exabytes of storage--and let him know he'll need to buy more weekly.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

DisplayPort and HDMI are supposed to break like that to avoid destroying the port they're plugged into.

Huh, did not know that. Neat!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

ConfusedUs posted:

The entire internet?

Cut him a quote for a few hundred exabytes of storage--and let him know he'll need to buy more weekly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Woah, this is going to require some major hardware.

Let me grab my Zip drive.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

GreenNight posted:

I'd probably get strung up if I removed that from users computers.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Solitare needs a domain scoreboard system so you can see how many games in a row others have won that way we can watch the place burn to the ground from infighting over who wastes the most time.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

baquerd posted:

Am I late for snow chat?

A real IT nerd would figure out how to hook up the brain of their roomba to that beast. Just turn it on and go in and get some hot cocoa.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Solitare needs a domain scoreboard system so you can see how many games in a row others have won that way we can watch the place burn to the ground from infighting over who wastes the most time.

A few years back at university the department had common Linux login server everyone used it had some of the standard games like that with global high score charts. A few people discovered the high scores were stored in a flat text file writeable by all users...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Is there a way to use active desktops or something to just leave that on his computer forever.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Varkk posted:

A few years back at university the department had common Linux login server everyone used it had some of the standard games like that with global high score charts. A few people discovered the high scores were stored in a flat text file writeable by all users...

Varkk posted:

Comedy suggestion: selinux can easily prevent this if you can be bothered to write a 10 line policy

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

evol262 posted:

Comedy suggestion: selinux can easily prevent this if you can be bothered to write a 10 line policy

chmod 000 *

:colbert: There, now nobody can read my precious files.

wait, what happened to my terminal?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

So our company is moving from Workgroups to a Domain since we're replacing 100+ XP machines with Windows 7 anyway, and my boss was busy working on other projects so I got handed the task of setting up the machines to have the stuff they would need. I had never dealt with AD or Group Policy before.

"I can set up shortcuts... hmm but only some of the PCs will need them. Wait... I can assign item-level preferences so those shortcuts only appear based on who logged in or what machine it is? And I can use policy to restrict access to the control panel and only permit certain users to access certain machines? Wait... I can deploy registry changes and make applications run with command-line options at startup? My god.... it's full of stars...." :aaaaa:

Now when I'm setting up these machines about half of the work in customizing the user experience is completed per machine by adding them to an OU and running gpupdate. It's pretty drat fantastic coming from someone at the entry-level of IT experience, I'm pretty happy I got the chance to set it up from practically scratch by myself with outside support if I needed it and the time to test it out in a lab environment instead of on live machines.

e: Also a ticket came in: "My PC posts entries in our accounting software slower than my coworkers."

Both users remotely connect to the same machine that handles all the posting, so their local machines amount to glorified monitors. I don't even know. :confused:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 19, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

CuddleChunks posted:

chmod 000 *

:colbert: There, now nobody can read my precious files.

wait, what happened to my terminal?

Yeah, but selinux contexts can make sure that the games can still write it but users can't :colbert:

We actually used this at an old job to keep people from savescumming in nethack...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

socialsecurity posted:

I've been trying. I had a nice snazzy GP for pushing out a new shared drive ready to go. I actually works on domain admin accounts (mine).

I get error 1058 because for whatever reason computers still authenticate off the legacy 2003 DC instead of the 2008 R2 DC we've had in place for years :catstare:. I can't do anything about it because I honestly don't know poo poo about Windows Server yet and we're pulling out in a couple months.

I'm kind of tempted to read my book and see how I can make 2003 DC get the gently caress out of the way unless as a failover anyway. I pretty much have free reign at this offsite location because nobody cares what I do up here as long at the client doesn't bitch. It's strange though. I put the policy in place on 2008 DC, it lives in its SYSVOL, but for whatever every user in the domain but me is butt buddies with the 2003 DC.

This site is the best lab ever.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I've been trying. I had a nice snazzy GP for pushing out a new shared drive ready to go. I actually works on domain admin accounts (mine).

I get error 1058 because for whatever reason computers still authenticate off the legacy 2003 DC instead of the 2008 R2 DC we've had in place for years :catstare:. I can't do anything about it because I honestly don't know poo poo about Windows Server yet and we're pulling out in a couple months.

I'm kind of tempted to read my book and see how I can make 2003 DC get the gently caress out of the way unless as a failover anyway. I pretty much have free reign at this offsite location because nobody cares what I do up here as long at the client doesn't bitch. It's strange though. I put the policy in place on 2008 DC, it lives in its SYSVOL, but for whatever every user in the domain but me is butt buddies with the 2003 DC.

Has anyone done anything special in the AD sites?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I've been trying. I had a nice snazzy GP for pushing out a new shared drive ready to go.
It's strange though. I put the policy in place on 2008 DC, it lives in its SYSVOL, but for whatever every user in the domain but me is butt buddies with the 2003 DC.

Have you upgraded their forest to 2008? Might be a part of why it's not happening that way.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

socialsecurity posted:

Once upon a time for an April Fools joke, I created Bill.Gates@mycompanyname.com and sent out a mocked up cease and desist letter to everyone in the company. The contents of the letter stated that you, the recipient of this letter, have played solitaire 234 times and due to their new licensing scheme, you now owed a retroactive $5 per game played. Buried in the middle of a seven paragraph boilerplate letter was an April Fools message.

I had several users forward it to me in a panic asking for legal advice.

Dunno which was funnier, their panicked emails or the fact that they were asking the IT guy for legal advice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Agrikk posted:

Once upon a time for an April Fools joke, I created Bill.Gates@mycompanyname.com and sent out a mocked up cease and desist letter to everyone in the company. The contents of the letter stated that you, the recipient of this letter, have played solitaire 234 times and due to their new licensing scheme, you now owed a retroactive $5 per game played. Buried in the middle of a seven paragraph boilerplate letter was an April Fools message.

I had several users forward it to me in a panic asking for legal advice.

Dunno which was funnier, their panicked emails or the fact that they were asking the IT guy for legal advice.

How many people responded with a "haha, nice one"?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

KennyTheFish posted:

Has anyone done anything special in the AD sites?

I'll poke around in there.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Have you upgraded their forest to 2008? Might be a part of why it's not happening that way.

No idea. I was put in charge of this site in the summer when my lead benched the other guy because he didn't like the quality of work he was putting out at the main site (among other things) and he eventually took off. Our network guys seem competent enough not to miss that, though I don't know why the client would want this legacy poo poo in place at this point. Maybe we can kill two birds during the transition for them and decom all the Server 2003 stuff. They also have this phantom mail server on 2003 with a weird relationship to the mail flow. I don't even know if it's a VM or an actual rack.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Super Slash posted:

My old manager used to do this, and not even for anything difficult beyond bog standard typing and tables. It basically displayed that she's incapable of using MS Word, she doesn't work here anymore.

My first job was basically taking forms that had been typewritten once and Xeroxed 10,000,000 times and recreating them in Word 95 so that they were legible and pretty.

Everyone loved them except for the curmudgeon who complained "They look like something out of a computer! Everything's too even and regular!" Apparently he liked that their typewriter didn't put letters on the same level.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

We're going to need to update this soon, that's not remotely the stupid large amount of data it originally seemed.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
HA!

I made a ticket this time... First time for everything I guess.

:) I need a file published on the company site because.
;-* So you need a webpage with a link so ppl can click that link and dl the file
:) No, just publish the file, so ppl can type a certain URL and BAM, download starts. No page, so no hits with google or poo poo like that, ok?
:stare:

I mean yeah, not my responsibility, but zero technical skills on what goes on with "the internet" is beyond me.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

RFC2324 posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of UNIX!

What do you me "welcome"? I'm a Linux professional. :colbert: Just never really had a reason to ever use the Serial over LAN service of the server, so it's a first for me.

My main complain here is we need more info, probably hands on. He's remote, and he says none of the people onsite will touch the server (probably because of $$$), wants me to send someone onsite to work with to do that which I had to explain costs $$$ (probably even more than what his data center people want). Other optiosn the RAC on the server has is unavailble including mounting ISOs directly is unavailable due to his company limiting him to Serial over LAN over SSH. :argh:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Wouldn't this be a server with some sort of hardware based remote management console? Like HP iLO or dell Drac?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wouldn't this be a server with some sort of hardware based remote management console? Like HP iLO or dell Drac?

DRAC, yeah.
Also, forgot to mention the SSH is from the tech's Mac. :smith:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Had a strange issue the other day. User comes in with ipad and iphone not working on wifi at campus. First instinct is the person's account has been disabled due to password not being changed. Check the user account on AD, everything looks good. Have the user sign into his account on one of our computers, he signs in fine. Then I suspect the device. I forget the network and then log in as myself, Hey a valid ip address! Hey cnn.com comes up! Forget the network again and have him sign in, 169.254 ip address again. What the hell.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skooma512 posted:

I'll poke around in there.

No idea. I was put in charge of this site in the summer when my lead benched the other guy because he didn't like the quality of work he was putting out at the main site (among other things) and he eventually took off. Our network guys seem competent enough not to miss that, though I don't know why the client would want this legacy poo poo in place at this point. Maybe we can kill two birds during the transition for them and decom all the Server 2003 stuff. They also have this phantom mail server on 2003 with a weird relationship to the mail flow. I don't even know if it's a VM or an actual rack.

Is your legacy server SBS and your other server(s) standard?

Because that would explain everything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Coredump posted:

Had a strange issue the other day. User comes in with ipad and iphone not working on wifi at campus. First instinct is the person's account has been disabled due to password not being changed. Check the user account on AD, everything looks good. Have the user sign into his account on one of our computers, he signs in fine. Then I suspect the device. I forget the network and then log in as myself, Hey a valid ip address! Hey cnn.com comes up! Forget the network again and have him sign in, 169.254 ip address again. What the hell.

Do wireless users require membership into a specific AD group for authentication or access to specific VLANs used by the WLAN? I know that for RDP, for instance, we have a specific AD group for server access, and while authentication will pass, access will be denied due to AD policy. It may be that as far as the iPhone is concerned authentication passed, and is busily sending DHCP REQUEST while access is being killed further up the chain.

Does the AP show the iDevice as an authenticated client (not the network, the AP)? Are you able to p-cap on the AP? That will tell you exactly where things are breaking down.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A ticket came in... From sales of course.

Can a conference room IP phone be placed in a conference room without a computer present?

:suicide:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Alighieri posted:

A ticket came in... From sales of course.

Can a conference room IP phone be placed in a conference room without a computer present?

:suicide:

Follow-up ticket:

"Can it show powerpoint?"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Alighieri posted:

Eh, it's not a terrible question if you consider that a lot of the time IP phones are connected Wall->Phone->PC, and if you don't know anything about networking you could easily be fooled into thinking the phone somehow communicates through the PC.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Today the power blew in two offices! I walk in to check it out and what do I see sitting on the floor? A space heater! Which I specifically told them not to use the last time I was in their office.

None of the circuits are tripped but the two rooms aren't getting any power. Now they get to suffer while we get our electricians to come out.

Space heaters are the devil.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

We have Polycom conference phones with no computer :confused:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a ton of Cisco conference phones with no computers too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think he's saying "Oh god they think IP phones need computers" not "Oh god they want a phone without a computer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

pr0digal posted:

Today the power blew in two offices! I walk in to check it out and what do I see sitting on the floor? A space heater! Which I specifically told them not to use the last time I was in their office.

None of the circuits are tripped but the two rooms aren't getting any power. Now they get to suffer while we get our electricians to come out.

Space heaters are the devil.

The real question is will the specific person who brought the space heater try to use it again or are they appropriately shamed now?

The building I'm in is brand loving new (leed gold, I think), and they keep it nice and toasty in here with little personal cubicle vents so thankfully I don't have to deal with old lovely insulation/sitting right under the ac vent problems.

• Locked thread