Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

at the date posted:

I'm not gonna rag on people for teaching their kids to budget charitable donations

I think the issue there is that people are tithing while broke. I don't speak with God, but I have a feeling he/she/it doesn't mind if people forego putting money into the collection plate if they're financially struggling. Like, he's not going to bounce you from the good list if he's not getting a taste.

And just like I've never seen someone in a position of strength, at the peak of their powers, find religion, I've also never seen anybody in that position choose a MLM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I know a guy who actually made money one summer selling cutco knives door to door.

Guy was a great salesman, he could sell a paper bag full of poo poo to anybody but he had the street smarts of a cinder block. Luckily now he works as a software developer for some startup mobile app developer so he didn't fall down that rabbit hole.

He didn't even realize it was a terrible MLM scheme until I broke it down for him. And this was after he got out of that job.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Blinkman987 posted:

And just like I've never seen someone in a position of strength, at the peak of their powers, find religion, I've also never seen anybody in that position choose a MLM.

It depends on what the person is looking for. I know a corporate level exec for a tech company that is really into Advocare. I know she makes high six figures in salary, but she's in her 40s and always trying to lose a few pounds. Her motivation for the MLM can't be the pay, it's got to be the promise of better health.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Blinkman987 posted:

I think the issue there is that people are tithing while broke. I don't speak with God, but I have a feeling he/she/it doesn't mind if people forego putting money into the collection plate if they're financially struggling.
Well technically you're supposed to give away all of your money and live poor, but nobody listens to Jesus anymore.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

canyoneer posted:

I'm trying to think of a good reason to take a 401(k) loan, and the only one I can think of is if you owe money to the mafia and they are going to break your legs otherwise. Maybe if the loan was super short-term, like sub 6 months?

When you start paying the 401(k) loan off you get equity equity

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

moana posted:

Well technically you're supposed to give away all of your money and live poor, but nobody listens to Jesus anymore.

Whoa whoa, this is decidedly not what my entire family said Joel Osteen said.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

at the date posted:

I'm not gonna rag on people for teaching their kids to budget charitable donations

It's more that he dismisses the importance of developing good savings habits and the value of compound interest over tithing when you're broke. We also teach our kids about charity and giving but in different ways than Dave Ramsey preaches.

Also heard on more than one occasion that "saving only $2,000 a year for 35 years you'll have a million dollars!" because Dave keeps blabbing nonstop about the market returning 12% while pushing his listeners into lovely investment options. It's infuriating.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

young posty posted:

Excuse me I traded my horse for a truck and got a 400% ROI*

*my money is horsepower birches

So, uh, where'd you manage to find a truck with 4HP? I've got a coffee grinder that's about half that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
When churches have to open their books like a real charity, I'll agree. Instead, they appear to be a great way to hide and launder money. Just one example: http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2015/02/13/vaticans-finance-czar-reports-1-5-billion-in-hidden-assets/

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

The Nards Pan posted:

So, uh, where'd you manage to find a truck with 4HP? I've got a coffee grinder that's about half that.

I'm pretty sure I could find you a truck with 4HP. It would cost around $50. That's $50 of pure truck equity.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Nocheez posted:

When churches have to open their books like a real charity, I'll agree. Instead, they appear to be a great way to hide and launder money. Just one example: http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2015/02/13/vaticans-finance-czar-reports-1-5-billion-in-hidden-assets/

I was going to take issue with church donations being called "charity", but I've been at least partly responsible for enough terrible derails, including job interview derail which was probably the worst in this thread.

So, here's some actual content:

Girl I was dating in the fall had just bought a house and was in the process of doing the kitchen. Before I had been over to see it, she was always telling me about how she had a hard time finding kitchen doors. I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. "Like, pocket doors?" "No, you know, the kitchen doors."

Turns out she was talking about cabinet doors. See, after buying the house, she didn't have enough money to do the kitchen, or even just buy the materials. So she was buying the new cabinet doors one at a time. Whenever she saved enough money, she would go down to Ikea and buy another one. That worked out great until Ikea discontinued the line right in the middle of her project. Luckily she could still get the doors, but she had to go down to Ikea like once or twice a week to see if any more of that line had trickled in from the warehouse.

Crazy as the story was, I took it as a good sign that she hadn't just put it all on a credit card. She seemed pretty reasonable about other stuff, bought her work clothes from discount retailers and bought cheap wine. Maybe she's good with money but just bad with construction.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
actual horses have more than one horsepower, I think they peak at like 15

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Celador posted:

It's more that he dismisses the importance of developing good savings habits and the value of compound interest over tithing when you're broke. We also teach our kids about charity and giving but in different ways than Dave Ramsey preaches.

Also heard on more than one occasion that "saving only $2,000 a year for 35 years you'll have a million dollars!" because Dave keeps blabbing nonstop about the market returning 12% while pushing his listeners into lovely investment options. It's infuriating.

I don't agree that he dismissed the importance of developing good savings habits. Before you worry about min/maxing your investment portfolio, you have to actually live within your means first, even if it means living paycheck to paycheck. We forget that some people can't even do that and I think that should be the first hurdle.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

actual horses have more than one horsepower, I think they peak at like 15

Bull. poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

Bull. poo poo.

personally I think there should be a reference horse and when it dies they should appoint a new one and redo all the math, but no one takes my ideas seriously

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

personally I think there should be a reference horse and when it dies they should appoint a new one and redo all the math, but no one takes my ideas seriously

It's like the kilogram. Makes sense to me.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

mods please change my name to reference horse

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

Bull. poo poo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

In 1993, R. D. Stevenson and R. J. Wassersug published an article calculating the upper limit to an animal's power output.[14] The peak power over a few seconds has been measured to be as high as 14.9 hp.[14] However, Stevenson and Wassersug observe that for sustained activity, a work rate of about 1 hp per horse is consistent with agricultural advice from both 19th and 20th century sources.[14]

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Then Chevy would just keep assassinating the reference horse until it gets to a really scrawny one so they inflate the HP ratings on their trucks

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ahh okay sustained vs peak, makes sense

this is a good derail, I'm sorry about the last one

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

The reference horse collapsed under load which was the defined end point of the test. I'm not joking.

Back to bad with money I've realised that there are a number of tax advantaged savings accounts I could have opened that by default would save me 5% tax on interest received.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hargrimm posted:

Then Chevy would just keep assassinating the reference horse until it gets to a really scrawny one so they inflate the HP ratings on their trucks

mods please do not change my name to reference horse :ohdear:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

mods please do not change my name to reference horse :ohdear:

You narrowly escaped your fate. It turns out mods can't make name changes

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

The Mandingo posted:

I didn't mention it, but this child's education is taking place in Europe. We live in Texas. She travels between Europe and Texas 2-3 times per semester.

International student tuition is typically killer (although IIRC in Germany, Sweden, and maybe one or two other places in the EU it's near-free for internationals), and there are only a relative handful of universities internationally that play ball with the US federal loan programme. They do exist though, you can find an Excel spreadsheet with them on the DoE's website.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Renegret posted:

I know a guy who actually made money one summer selling cutco knives door to door.

Guy was a great salesman, he could sell a paper bag full of poo poo to anybody but he had the street smarts of a cinder block. Luckily now he works as a software developer for some startup mobile app developer so he didn't fall down that rabbit hole.

He didn't even realize it was a terrible MLM scheme until I broke it down for him. And this was after he got out of that job.

MLM companies as a rule are horrible, but I did buy a pair of cutco scissors that have been the best all purpose scissors I have ever owned.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

slap me silly posted:

I guess he failed to notice that they rose to riches on the blood sweat and tears of the less fortunate

No, he knows that. The other day, Dave had on Rabbi someone-or-other, and they came right out and said poor people are only poor because they deserve to be poor. It wasn't hinted at, it was stated outright. Dave doesn't believe in less-fortunate people, only people too weak and lazy to be rich.

He also loves to say he's doing "better than he deserves," then spend five or ten minutes whining about the government passing out his money to the lazy poors, and bitching about the anti-business government trying to ruin all the "producers." He's a hypocritical shithead when he strays from helping people get out of their debt messes, but I do like listening to his callers.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ah, yes, a proper supply-side christian then.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Renegret posted:

If he was a good salesmen and ignored all the MLM bullshit (meetings, recruiting, buying stock, etc) then it becomes a basic little business, buy some knives off your supplier and sell them for more to customers, so I can see how it may not have even seemed like a MLM to him if he's a good salesman.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rudager posted:

If he was a good salesmen and ignored all the MLM bullshit (meetings, recruiting, buying stock, etc) then it becomes a basic little business, buy some knives off your supplier and sell them for more to customers, so I can see how it may not have even seemed like a MLM to him if he's a good salesman.
Good salesmen are rare and very talented. If you can make money on CutCo, you can make 6 figs easy as an outside sales guy for a non-MLM company.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Blinkman987 posted:

I think the issue there is that people are tithing while broke. I don't speak with God, but I have a feeling he/she/it doesn't mind if people forego putting money into the collection plate if they're financially struggling. Like, he's not going to bounce you from the good list if he's not getting a taste.

Also, volunteering is free and should count as a substitute for tithing (in my atheist opinion, at least) because time = money.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I see people from ACN in the Los Angeles area. They hold meetings in the Barnes and Noble I work at on weekends to extol the financial gains to be had in the MLM video phone industry.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Phrasing posted:

I see people from ACN in the Los Angeles area. They hold meetings in the Barnes and Noble I work at on weekends to extol the financial gains to be had in the MLM video phone industry.

A friend of mine, who is currently living with me (again), sank a bunch of time and money into ACN. I warned him every step of the way, pointed out all the flaws in their pitches, and did my best to get him to examine possible outcomes as realistically as possible. The ACN reps, for their part, shouted the word "deregulation" over and over again, and showed my friend the fancy cars driven by the regional sales gods. Fancy cars and cult-like chanting defeats math and reason: FATALITY.

I had another friend who, many years ago, pumped just about every nickle he could get his hands on for two years into Amway. This guy had never left Ohio, as far as I recall, but he made two cross-country trips for Amway conventions, paying four figures out of pocket each time, without ever having made a significant sale of their products.

Edit: I live practically around the corner from a little office complex ACN slapped their name on a couple of years back. My buddy used this "expansion" as proof of how awesome ACN was, and how it was definitely going places.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 19, 2015

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Back to reddit. His comments are pretty funny. http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2vxbgv/financially_viable_90k_income_520k_house/

quote:

I know that there is no correct answer with real estate persay, but I've been having trouble choosing between 2 properties, so maybe someone can help us in terms of whether its even financially viable? The reason why the property is so expensive is because lack of affordable housing and we live in a very small area with not a lot of habitable space open for any sort of development. High competition!
Our money situation breakdown:
Income: $90,000 salary (only one persons income, I am currently studying and hope to contribute another $50K+ soon)
Savings: $20,000 with $100,000 on its way via house sale (unexpected house sale but we miraculously didn't get destroyed by it)
Debt: Basically almost none now, after years of... hard hard hard work.
We basically save money like crazy on a day to day basis. We paid a 10 years of a 30 year mortgage down in 3 years. We seriously penny pinch like crazy. The fact our house sold for almost 25%+ of our original purchase price and getting our equity back was short of a miracle for us.
Condo Property A
Price: Listed at $440K or $340K if we put all our previous homes equity into it (21 days on market, so can negotiate lower probably)
Condition: Below Average, needs at least $35K+ of renovations
Maintenance Fee: $500 a month
Amenities: Pool, BBQ Area, BOAT DOCK (no additional cost, wtf!!!!), pool, kayak storage, surfboard storage
Shopping and food: Just the basics... very few actually.
Personal bonus: Close to mother who lives in a property that allows no pets so she can take care of our dog easier if we go out of town easily
Cons: Further away from work by 15 miles, 10 miles to my school and parking and driving here is VERY TOUGH due to congested roads and no alternative roads
Condo Property B
Price: Listed at $520K or $420K if we put all our previous homes equity into it (fresh on market)
Condition: Above average.
Maintenance Fee: $350 a month
Amenities: Pool
Shopping and food: A lot.
Personal bonus: Close to the city, schools, work by 10 miles (still need to drive that)
Cons: Further from Mother by 10 miles, No washer dryer in unit, communal (fairly normal for here) No BOAT DOCK (seriously, who the hell would ever expect this to be a perk?), further away from mother who is not in a medically problematic situation but may find the distance to be slightly much for her.

Obviously he is leaning towards condo A because the 500/month maintenance fee include the boat dock. Boat equity FTW. They live in Hawaii, which admittedly is very expensive. He says they made 100k off selling their previous home, which could give them a nice down payment, but the stupidly high maintenance fees and him still being student make this a bad decision.

Stop being nits. Get on reddit.com/r/personalfinance or the country specific personal finance reddits and sort by controversial. That is how you find the funny ones!

grenada fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 19, 2015

MentalStaples
Sep 25, 2007
This couple spent one day going to three different Disney Parks for their anniversary. I don't know what that would cost but a lot for memories of mostly just sitting on planes together.

http://6abc.com/travel/couple-visits-three-disney-theme-parks-across-the-globe-on-valentines-day/523836/

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
All this MLM talk is bringing back memories from college. My family always goes to marathons in the area, which if you've ever been to one the day before is a huge sales expo of running gear. At one table I think I filled out something to win some free energy drink crap. Well like magic I "won", I just needed to come pick it up. Only catch was the 2 hour drive to get a case hat was worth about 1/2 the gas money getting there.

Got to a rundown hotels conference room with a guy sitting there with all his sales materials spread out. Dude caught my willingness to get free crap as a way to suck me into the MLM game of whatever crap he was pushing. Endless opportunity! Sell this awesome crap to your friends and family! Just pay 79$ for access to this cool stuff and you can get wholesale cost on this liquid drain cleaner flavored energy drink!

Not sure how I lost my sanity at that point but stopped by my parents house on the way home all excited about the free case of energy drink. Asked them for cash to get the membership and they told me I was a moron. Took one sip of the free drink I just got a case of and nearly coughed it out if my nose it was so terrible.

Best part about it was my brother got a call a few days later that he "won" too, only need to pick it up!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It's me. I'm the bad with money.
It was my wife's birthday on Monday but I wanted her to have a really nice weekend. I bought steaks twice and grilled them. Bought wine, bought her some fabrics she wanted, got her some shoes and leggings she wanted (she looks so hot in that, omg). All that driving around meant I also had to fill my car up again AND got hit with an auto refill on my tollway account for $40.I did this by fudging Ynab around and saying to myself 'I'll push the phone bill to the next paycheck' or, 'I'll pay power on the next paycheck'.

Welp.

I just got my next paycheck and I'm $52 in the hole until my next one. I have just enough to make all the bills, but I can literally not spend a cent until March 4th.

I really suck at money, but I've been getting better. I finally paid off my phone (8 months early!) and cancelled insurance on it. I've cancelled every subscription except hulu plus, we've cut the cord over a year ago now. I cancelled the gym and now run and lift in our home gym. We cook everything at home (because we're allergic to so many things)

It's just death by a thousand cuts, and $1030 of minimum payments for all my debt, monthly, excluding mortgage. :suicide:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

laxbro posted:

Back to reddit. His comments are pretty funny. http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2vxbgv/financially_viable_90k_income_520k_house/

Obviously he is leaning towards condo A because the 500/month maintenance fee include the boat dock. Boat equity FTW. They live in Hawaii, which admittedly is very expensive. He says they made 100k off selling their previous home, which could give them a nice down payment, but the stupidly high maintenance fees and him still being student make this a bad decision.

Stop being nits. Get on reddit.com/r/personalfinance or the country specific personal finance reddits and sort by controversial. That is how you find the funny ones!

You can always tell someone thinks they're smarter than they are when they type out "per say"

Also, does it not enter his mind that boat docks come with an enormous backend expense: A boat?

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 19, 2015

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Taco Box posted:

It's me. I'm the bad with money.
It was my wife's birthday on Monday but I wanted her to have a really nice weekend. I bought steaks twice and grilled them. Bought wine, bought her some fabrics she wanted, got her some shoes and leggings she wanted (she looks so hot in that, omg). All that driving around meant I also had to fill my car up again AND got hit with an auto refill on my tollway account for $40.I did this by fudging Ynab around and saying to myself 'I'll push the phone bill to the next paycheck' or, 'I'll pay power on the next paycheck'.

Welp.

I just got my next paycheck and I'm $52 in the hole until my next one. I have just enough to make all the bills, but I can literally not spend a cent until March 4th.

I really suck at money, but I've been getting better. I finally paid off my phone (8 months early!) and cancelled insurance on it. I've cancelled every subscription except hulu plus, we've cut the cord over a year ago now. I cancelled the gym and now run and lift in our home gym. We cook everything at home (because we're allergic to so many things)

It's just death by a thousand cuts, and $1030 of minimum payments for all my debt, monthly, excluding mortgage. :suicide:

You don't sound bad with money at all. Keep up the good work.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Celador posted:

You don't sound bad with money at all. Keep up the good work.

I can't be that good with money, one of my debts is a car payment on a MINI cooper for my wife :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Unless you took out a 401(k) loan to buy lease the MINI so your wife could sell MLM products, buying cars is not necessarily a bad thing (BFC be damned!). The fact that you are conscious of your spending/debt and making an effort to not get into more, I think you are doing fine.

• Locked thread