Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I have a problem with any values system where it's okay to give 3.5e to an eleven year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

inklesspen posted:

I have a problem with any values system where it's okay to give 3.5e to an eleven year old.

That's how old I was when I got my 3e books ):

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd recommend to change groups or set up another meeting time for dungeonworld. You two clearly have different preferences. You'll continue not liking the game, and complaining during combat likely isn't helping anyone else's enjoyment. There's nothing wrong with someone enjoying 3.5, there is something wrong in showing up to complain.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Len posted:

True Believer in 3.5 and I made sure to voice my displeasure in the overly long combats very loudly and frequently during combat.

Find a new gaming group, or make it clear that you refuse to play 3.5 but will run Dungeon World for the current group if they want.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Every time people talk about how D&D4E's combat times are a strike against it I always wonder what they're comparing it to, because plenty of 3.X fights took hours to resolve unless the GM simply threw their hands up in frustration and went "gently caress it, you win."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

Every time people talk about how D&D4E's combat times are a strike against it I always wonder what they're comparing it to, because plenty of 3.X fights took hours to resolve unless the GM simply threw their hands up in frustration and went "gently caress it, you win."

People played 3.5 and *didn't* do this?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

That was every fight I've ever run in D&D, across editions.

The d20 is the worst die.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

The last 3.5 session I ran was basically a 6-hour fight. (That would be the conclusion to Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

People played 3.5 and *didn't* do this?

Len posted:

After four or five months without out weekly game of 3.5 we finally went back to it last night. All the Dungeon World I've been playing made me forget how terrible 3.5 combat is. It doesn't help our DM loves to have large groups of combatants. Last night we went up against 9ish thugs and two NPCs with character levels. One of which summoned a fog cloud and three elementals.

It took two hours to get through that loving thing. :negative:

I mean I'm sure that plenty of rose-colored memories of the 3.X days are entirely down to "so then we just sort of handwaved this stuff away" but I always found the specific complaint that 4E's combat simply takes too long (as opposed to the more valid earlier complaints when the monster math wasn't yet fixed that fights were too long and not as interesting) to be especially ridiculous. Maybe if you're comparing it to something that isn't 3.X sure, you can get through a fight in Savage Worlds in about 20-30 minutes but there's a lot less of interest going on there unless you're a big fan of stunlocking.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My group really doesn't have any issues with this sort of thing as combat is kinda the point of having a grid based overly fiddly RPG. Large combats take about as long as an xcom map if everyone knows what they're doing because it's the focus. Anyone who tries to use d20 or 4th edition for story games or who gets defensive about "power gamers" is dumb and using the wrong system.

edit: 4th edition had very well designed skirmish combat rules but the first monster manual had issues with bad monster design. Most high level enemies couldn't do anything interesting and had huge amounts of defense, so they took forever to kill relative to how lethal they were to the players. This was remedied in later monster books.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 18, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Having never played a game of Warhammer, which resolves faster: a Warhammer skirmish, a Mordenheim game or an "average" 3.5 combat at say level 4-8 with a party of about 4?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In general for me mordenheim, warmahordes, and 3.5 take about the same time assuming you're encountering 8+ enemies. Warhammer is always long because holy gently caress that game has gotten stupid and has high model counts.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So there doesn't appear to be a time efficient solution. Combats that took longer than an hour for a party of four and 8 enemies were always a chore for me.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Your mordenheim games take over an hour?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Im going to break my self imposed exile to say that actually D&D 3.5 is moderately decent and introduced thousands of gamers to tabletop and is still popular today sorry y'all don't like it :P

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I've misunderstood.

I've never played Mordenheim or Warhammer. How long do thoses combats take vs a comparable number of players and enemies (total models) in a 3.5 combat?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Im going to break my self imposed exile to say that actually D&D 3.5 is moderately decent and introduced thousands of gamers to tabletop and is still popular today sorry y'all don't like it :P

Okay.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

3.5 is a lot like dwarf fort. You can have fun with it but it requires absurd dissection of the rules boarding on autistic obsession. A 3.5 game with experienced players takes 20-30 minutes. Maybe an hour for really complicated encounters. For inexperienced players or a GM whose bad at running NPCs you end up with something that's a total mess and takes 2-3 hours. Mordenheim will always take about 20-40 minutes same with warmachine/hordes. Warhammer takes 1-3 hours depending on if someone has an army flatly better than another.

If you're just getting into the hobby I'd recommend 4th edition for shorter but still tactical combats. If you find you want more rules fiddliness go to 3.5 or Pathfinder, but 4th edition is a much better presented and tightly designed tactical game.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cool story

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Error 404 posted:

Cool story
It really wasn't.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't understand why someone who was more interested in complex rules would be interested in 3.5's broken mechanics.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's mainly the weird lego-like way they fit together. It makes you feel clever and unique for fitting something together that works better than the sum of its parts. Your ownership of the character is validated by diving through tons of books to make something relatively unique. Same basic reason people liked 2nd edition 40k, Palladium RPGs, dwarf fort, etc. Even then most people who enjoy that require houserules.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Find a new gaming group, or make it clear that you refuse to play 3.5 but will run Dungeon World for the current group if they want.

This seems a little premature if it's a good group.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Possible though I can't imagine a gaming group being good while there is someone loudly complaining about system preferences throughout the game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PresidentBeard posted:

Possible though I can't imagine a gaming group being good while there is someone loudly complaining about system preferences throughout the game.

if someone kept bitching about wanting to play dungeon world instead I'd just bitch slap him in the face. don't gently caress with the GM!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PresidentBeard posted:

I never mention other systems during the game and I limit my complaining about combat to once a session. But once the DM himself starts going "I need to leave soon" and then the combat goes on for another hour it's obvious that there was a problem.

I would say the player who doesn't ever stop talking about how amazing Pathfinder is and argues with the DM about the lore of Eberron is more obnoxious than me getting bored of combat after the one hour point when there's no end in sight.

I don't mind the combats but a frustrating amount end up with the DM going "and these random mooks run away."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sounds like the problem is more that your group is bad, or more specifically that your GM is bad.

edit: you also said that your complaints were loud and frequent, which is if accurate just you being a lovely friend. Having shittier friends doesn't absolve you of that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eye of Widesauron posted:

This seems a little premature if it's a good group.

Maybe, it depends. My last IRL gaming group was pretty cool but one of the people in it decided they wanted to run a Changeling: the Lost game and it just didn't click with me at all. The game wasn't bad, the GM was a cool person, but after a couple months of really trying to get into things it just wasn't clicking with me and it got to the point where game night felt more like an obligation than something fun to be excited about.

So one night I talked to the GM and said hey, it's not you, it's me, I'm just not having fun and I'm not gonna be the guy who insists you change everything just for me, so I tell you what, I'm gonna take a break and you guys can keep playing, if you decide to play something else let me know.

And it worked out fine, no huge drama or pass-agg poo poo. You don't have to stop being friends with people or never socialize with them again, but there's no real benefit to enduring activities you don't enjoy just to keep hanging out with a gaming group.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

On a scale of 1-10, how much do you like steam tunnels?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PresidentBeard posted:

Sounds like the problem is more that your group is bad, or more specifically that your GM is bad.

edit: you also said that your complaints were loud and frequent, which is if accurate just you being a lovely friend. Having shittier friends doesn't absolve you of that.

I probably am a lovely friend but I've been playing with this guy for 13 years and there's usually some form of disappointment and bad DMing.

"Oh the bad guys assaulting this keep full of holy men drains your Intelligence to 10. You can't do any psionics anymore Mr. Psion."

"Ok I ask one of the clerics in here if they can heal me."

"They heal your hit points but since you didn't RP how to ask for stat restoration you're out of luck there."

The problem is that the majority of the time isn't complete bullshit like having to go into the big final battle armed with Nerf weapons and is actually enjoyable.

Edit: And up until this last campaign his little brother who always powergamed acted as a DMPC who decided everything for the rest of the party whether we agreed or not.

Oh and there was a time he went "we haven't played in six months. During that time you probably failed a will save and the demon in you ripped you apart from the inside roll up a new character."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Anyone playing anything other than Champions character creation with 3.5 combat and Amber trait resolution while dressed as live-action Vampire players is wasting their time

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Quarex posted:

Anyone playing anything other than Champions character creation with 3.5 combat and Amber trait resolution while dressed as live-action Vampire players is wasting their time

So...GURPS Shadowrun?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The punchline is that GURPS could probably do a better job of Shadowrun than Shadowrun's own system (though I'd ditch the whole one second combat round thing).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Len posted:

I probably am a lovely friend but I've been playing with this guy for 13 years and there's usually some form of disappointment and bad DMing.

"Oh the bad guys assaulting this keep full of holy men drains your Intelligence to 10. You can't do any psionics anymore Mr. Psion."

"They heal your hit points but since you didn't RP how to ask for stat restoration you're out of luck there."

The problem is that the majority of the time isn't complete bullshit like having to go into the big final battle armed with Nerf weapons and is actually enjoyable.

Edit: And up until this last campaign his little brother who always powergamed acted as a DMPC who decided everything for the rest of the party whether we agreed or not.

Oh and there was a time he went "we haven't played in six months. During that time you probably failed a will save and the demon in you ripped you apart from the inside roll up a new character."

Sounds like you need to internalize the mantra of No Gaming is Better Than Bad Gaming.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Len posted:

"...and then everyone laughed at the joke and the guy obviously got his INT back" is how that story ends in a reasonable group.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kai Tave posted:

The punchline is that GURPS could probably do a better job of Shadowrun than Shadowrun's own system (though I'd ditch the whole one second combat round thing).

No, because it would be GURPS and GURPS is horrible except for sourcebooks. I like SR's combat system.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BrainParasite posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how much do you like steam tunnels?

Unlike you people I am err, a normal person

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lightning Lord posted:

Sounds like you need to internalize the mantra of No Gaming is Better Than Bad Gaming.

Seriously, listen to this guy. Just walk away.

I left an unsatisfying group and found a fun one. I'm still friends with people from the old group, but now I no longer engage in the activities I didn't enjoy with them. And I met new friends!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kai Tave posted:

Wit how unbalanced the game could be in terms of combat its not entirely implausible to have a party that can take down anything relatively easier. I can easily see it being a "well it didn't happen in my group ergo it didn't happen at all" type of thing.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No, because it would be GURPS and GURPS is horrible except for sourcebooks. I like SR's combat system.

Legit question, what is it you like about Shadowrun's combat system? It's just a standard dice pool system.

• Locked thread