Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I want to know who has the quirk "One for All". You know its gotta be out there somewhere.

Either it was Deku's secret quirk all along or some villain has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Vengarr posted:

I want to know who has the quirk "One for All". You know its gotta be out there somewhere.

That would be Deku that has it now, yes :v:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Lord of Hats posted:

That would be Deku that has it now, yes :v:

One For All, presumably, would be a different power than All For One.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Either the big bad guy has it or Deku already had it.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Vengarr posted:

Presumably the Three Musketeers. Except villainous so Three Murderteers? D'eathagnon, Arson, Poisonthos, and Armedmass?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TriffTshngo posted:

One For All, presumably, would be a different power than All For One.

Y'all are readin' it wrong

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all for one is that creepy class b kid with the eyes

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

That's the trouble with sentences that can be read either way

they can deceive

One for All is more heroic-sounding, but All for One better reflects what his quirk actually is.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It's a manga, you are supposed to read the sentence right-to-left anyway.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Because people like Nomu and Venomous Chainsaw exist. There's also the issue of being able to control it so you can save people from destroyed buildings rather than cause them to collapse even further and kill everyone.

Punch the people out of the building using compressed air

Punch so hard you create a vacuum effect to put out fires

Punching is always the answer, the closer deku gets to Saitama the better

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
All Might wasn't the first person to have One for All was he? I mean, I'm assuming that, given how the Quirk works, it isn't his quirk, and that All Might got it from someone else. It'd probably take a generation or two to accumulate All Might's insane godlike power and Quirks seem to have been around for a couple of generations, assuming it's from the dawn of quriks existing, All Might's gotta be at least second or third generation. And the way he talks about it before telling Deku about it at the least heavily implies he wasn't the first.

I wonder if another of One for All's past hosts will show up, is what I'm getting at.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Some baseless speculation: maybe One for All was originally a quirk that could steal the quirks of others and had the weakness that it could be stolen too.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Prison Warden posted:

It'd probably take a generation or two to accumulate All Might's insane godlike power and Quirks seem to have been around for a couple of generations, assuming it's from the dawn of quriks existing, All Might's gotta be at least second or third generation.

I talked about it earlier, but we know that Midoriya's mom is a 4th generation quirk holder, and that Quirks were initially rare when they first showed up (though by the 4th generation not having one is rarer). So yes, One For All has probably existed for 3-4 generations at least. Possibly 5-6 even.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I want to know how the second bearer of All Might's quirk got it from the first bearer. Was he a barber who accidentally got the first guy's hair in his mouth or something? It had to take a passing of the quirk or two before it's abilities even became noticeable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Prison Warden posted:

All Might wasn't the first person to have One for All was he? I mean, I'm assuming that, given how the Quirk works, it isn't his quirk, and that All Might got it from someone else. It'd probably take a generation or two to accumulate All Might's insane godlike power and Quirks seem to have been around for a couple of generations, assuming it's from the dawn of quriks existing, All Might's gotta be at least second or third generation. And the way he talks about it before telling Deku about it at the least heavily implies he wasn't the first.

I wonder if another of One for All's past hosts will show up, is what I'm getting at.

Can they get it back, too?

Like, assuming the previous host doesn't have to die to pass on the power. I imagine someone old, weak and now living a rather unimpressive life of obscurity might want that back if they weren't as good and heroic as All Might is.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Gyges posted:

I want to know how the second bearer of All Might's quirk got it from the first bearer. Was he a barber who accidentally got the first guy's hair in his mouth or something? It had to take a passing of the quirk or two before it's abilities even became noticeable.

Look, I'm just gonna say this before anyone else does. In all likelyhood Old Man All Might probably had some of his vital juices... sucked out. That's right. The first power transfer was a vile depraved act that could never be shown or mentioned in a kids manga. Vampirism.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nuebot posted:

Can they get it back, too?

Like, assuming the previous host doesn't have to die to pass on the power. I imagine someone old, weak and now living a rather unimpressive life of obscurity might want that back if they weren't as good and heroic as All Might is.
A former owner of One For All coming back to reclaim the power is almost certainly going to be a major arc if this series goes on long enough.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You have to wonder if the power can be transferred against the bearer's will, if so the first villain to bite Deku is in for a sudden power-up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What if the power transfer only works if the one being transferred to doesn't have a quirk? I wonder how many other toebones there are out there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waffleman_ posted:

What if the power transfer only works if the one being transferred to doesn't have a quirk? I wonder how many other toebones there are out there.

This is pretty doubtful since All Might as originally going to look for a successor in the Academy.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
It could be that ingesting his DNA just creates a connection, and the recipient absorbs the power by spending time in proximity to All Might. By attending school, Deku is slowly draining away All Might's remaining power.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It's because he didn't actually "use" it. He swung in the air to cause an air current powerful enough to blow his hand out of the way. Had he actually made contact he would have gibbed IcyHot's arm while probably breaking a finger or two. The real test is seeing if he can actually control his hits against someone weaker than him without gibbing either person.

I think that if he didn't limit it he would break his arm super bad even when just hitting air. It's how I read this page at least. That being said, I also think that with the ammount of power he used if he had hit something solid he would also have broken his hand. So it's part him getting better control slowly and part not hitting anything solid.

Bakugou is still the best.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Re: All For One speculation, I'm half suspecting that we may find like, quirks have existed longer than most people think (ie, in the first people to mutate out the extra joint), and thus All For One has accumulated the power of several thousand different people from antiquity, explaining why its so absurd. The luminescent baby was just the first documented case.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Viz's first volume release of Academia is coming August.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
This dudes style is really similar to brandon graham.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chapter 31 is up and it turns out that despite his fiery powers, Endeavor is a cold-blooded jerkface.

Pretty deep chapter. Forced quirk marriages sound loving horrifying.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Can I just say that I really appreciate how Deku isn't just being blindly optimistic/naive and understands how hosed up things are but still stands his ground? Like he's neither cowering down nor just pretending there's nothing wrong. He's acting like a real person and I like that. Makes him tons more likable.

And yeah, jesus, Endeavor is a dick. Todoroki's daddy issues seem uh, pretty loving justified.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

loving Mineta. Dude has a goal and a plan to get there.

That's also an... uhhh... interesting take on what Americans look like.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

It's a pretty common one, I've seen it before at least.

I'm not super excited for this to go into 1 on 1 tournament arc mode though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

chumbler posted:

They're the Square Sisters from One Piece!

Man, I'm glad someone finally brought up how Eugenics would totally be "a thing" in a world where genetically-inherited superpowers existed. Like it'd be the first thing on anyone's mind once people learned about how things propagate.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sharkopath posted:

I'm not super excited for this to go into 1 on 1 tournament arc mode though.

I am all about it. Bring on the quirk exhibition.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

TriffTshngo posted:

I am all about it. Bring on the quirk exhibition.

I just want laser navel to take all of them out in one glorious page of reaction shots.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the trio that's going on with Deku, Bakugou, and Todoroki, especially with the title of the chapter.

You've got Deku, who was born with nothing. No quirk, which was supposed to mean no chance, no dreams, no nothing. But even so, through hard work, he's gone beyond the realm of what everyone thought was impossible. He grew up with everyone treating him like crap, but now he's seen what it feels like to be on the top like All Might. He's got friends who trust him without any reserves, friends who acknowledge him and seek to surpass him, and the guy with the strongest quirk in his class has marked him as his rival.

You've got Bakugou, a born winner. Everyone around him looked up to him, including Deku. So he can't stand been looked down upon. But he's learned that there's always someone better. He's no longer the frog in the well, and his new classmates aren't afraid to call him out on his poo poo. He's also seen humiliation from the guy he used to bully, and barely escaped being knocked out of the tournament through sheer determination. And given that he was eavesdropping on Deku and Todoroki's conversation, he's seen what it's like for someone at the top. I'm hoping that he grows further as a character and develops a more complex motivation. He feels like the middle ground between the two extremes that are Deku and Todoroki, and I hope he gets to return to the spotlight cause he seems to be getting pushed away in favor of the Deku and Todoroki rivalry. Also because I just like him.

Then you've got Todoroki. He wasn't just a born winner when it comes to quirks. He was specifically engineered to be the best. The second strongest hero specifically sought out the mother with the ideal quirk to create him. And given his actions, he's got a better grasp of his power than most. He was probably trained by Endeavor too, regardless of whether he wanted or not. He was born with everything, but he refuses to use everything at his disposal because of the very conditions he was born into.

The All-Might and Endeavor dynamic is pretty interesting, too. You've got the natural hero at the top by following his heart, while the second place hero does everything he can to raise his own ranking but finds himself unable to go above the wall that is All-Might. Endeavor is constantly envious and bitter that he's not the best of the best despite the fact that second best is still a loving huge thing. It's like how I've read stuff about it being better to have the bronze than the silver, cause the silver is just a reminder that you couldn't get the gold. All-Might's new to this teaching thing, and he just happened upon his disciple unlike Endeavor, who did everything he could to ensure he could have a son that could make up for his failures. It's the all-too real cliche of the parent forcing the child to live out failed dreams. Like forcing your son to play football because you had a bum knee (I'm pretty sure this is the plot of several movies in America), or that thing in Assassination Classroom with Nagisa and his mother. Yet, when you get down to it, Deku seems far happier than Todoroki. Does that dude even smile? I guess you could say that All-Might tries with all his heart, while Endeavor just tries too heard and thinks too much? All-Might doesn't really care about standing out, which is precisely why he does. He's a more approachable and 'human' hero than Endeavor, who's obsessed with rankings.

I just really like this series so far and I believe that it'll continue to be amazing. gently caress yeah quirk fights.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I am a stone cold sucker for tournament arcs, I don't care how cliche they are or how contrived the set-up has to be to get there. Put one in a series as creative and fun as this and I can't wait to see what goes down.

But above all else: Tetsutetsu VS Kirishima. Make it loving happen, Horikoshi!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think Tetsutetsu passed? Everyone expected his team to be in 3rd place but it turned out to be the guy who appears to have mind control powers.

Tetsutetsu was teamed up with the chick with Plant Hair and the Skull Dude, and they somehow lost their points.

It would be cool though.

Poor Kirishima.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

But above all else: Tetsutetsu VS Kirishima. Make it loving happen, Horikoshi!

Tetsux4's no longer in the tournament, unfortunately. His team was knocked out at the human cavalry round due to their headbands being taken by the guy with the mind-control quirk.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A lot of people have said things I already wanted to, but there's one thing I noticed that's sticking out at me: Despite everything we expected (and got right, like Todoroki's no-fire thing being because daddy issues), his horrible burn was actually inflicted by his mother, not his father. Which also kind of shoots some of the sympathy she'd otherwise have since holy poo poo don't do that to a kid no matter what, but still. Wow, Endeavor, you suck.

Edit: Yeah, though, this chapter was good. I think my favorite moment, though, was the reveal of Bakugou standing there listening in on the conversation. You can tell he's sort of shocked, listening and having all his problems put into perspective when compared to what Todoroki's been through. (Or at least that's how it seems to me.). It's pretty great for a moment with no dialog directly attached to it itself.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 23, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the whole situation is hosed up. Married against your own will cause your family wanted that sweet sweet Endeavor money, so you take it out on your own son, who's innocent. Like, who does that? Who sees a woman and goes "I'll buy her" instead of thinking that there might be something wrong with forcing someone to have sex with you?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I would just like to say that I appreciated Bakugou's contribution to this chapter more than I expected.

Also, Todoroki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Aw hell, you guys are right. I remembered Tetsu^4's team being in third place and Midoriya coming in fourth so I thought the last minute grabs by Midoriya and Tokoyami bumped the original fourth out, but upon rereading it was not so. drat my memory, that's a real shame. The fateful showdown between copy-paste quirks will have to wait for another day/tournament arc.