Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think people just liked Striker briefly because he was something new. In retrospect, he was always really loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I like the idea of Matt Striker on commentary, but the execution was poor. For a good example of his whole concept done well, see every time Daniel Bryan goes on commentary as the jokey fan-insert face.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
In a related note, I was really surprised to hear Coachman at the announce table with Cole doing the Undertaker/Edge main event at Wrestlemania 24. I remember he was gone very quickly after that, with Foley at the announce table by June. It was just surprising to hear someone on their way out the door get to announce the main event at Mania, even if he was on the Smackdown crew.

Its been fun going through some handpicked Monday Night Wars episodes with my wife. Just getting to hear her reactions to some of the really stupid poo poo Bischoff/Russo did from someone that doesn't know the history is really entertaining.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Striker had a certain novelty to him because it was abundantly clear that no one was feeding him those lines.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He was decent when he was just calling actual moves and focused on the match instead of storylines, but then the other commentators would make fun of him so he kind of just started making poo poo up and calling people animes after a while.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I liked 'The Poison Fist of the Pacific Rim' as a nickname for Tatsu even if it was just a Simpson's reference.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I cringed everytime he called Gail Kim "The Saigon Kick" considering she's Korean-Canadian and not Vietnamese. Also because Saigon Kick was a lovely hair metal band.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Is the Destruction of the Shield documentary they previewed on RAW going to be on the network?

They really need to add a lot of content along the lines of Stone Cold narrating his matches. That would be incredible.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 18, 2015

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ribsauce posted:

They really need to add a lot of content along the lines of Stone Cold narrating his matches. That would be incredible.

That really is something that would be really cheap and easy, and yet have people scrambling to watch. Imagine getting Austin and Bret in a room together to narrate/commentate their WrestleMania 13 match eighteen years later.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

Is the Destruction of the Shield documentary they previewed on RAW going to be on the network?

I could have sworn that the Shield doc was already on the network under another name.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Grab someone backstage with a mic and have them give commentary on their favorite match. Cobble the segments together with some Renee studio stuff and you've got a nice hour that I'd watch every drat week. What I wouldn't give to be in a Network focus group. There is so much potential for content.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I still think the number one thing they need is the ability to play every Royal Rumble back to back without having to click anything. It would be my default when I was doing crap around the house.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Skeezy posted:

I could have sworn that the Shield doc was already on the network under another name.

It is for the most part. The new one is supposed to be a bit longer but the majority of it is there now under Original Specials.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That really is something that would be really cheap and easy, and yet have people scrambling to watch. Imagine getting Austin and Bret in a room together to narrate/commentate their WrestleMania 13 match eighteen years later.

If you subscribe to Stone Cold's podcast you're in luck.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Ribsauce posted:

I still think the number one thing they need is the ability to play every Royal Rumble back to back without having to click anything. It would be my default when I was doing crap around the house.

This but with Money in the Bank matches.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Minidust posted:

Striker had a certain novelty to him because it was abundantly clear that no one was feeding him those lines.

See also: everything he's said while in Lucha Underground.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What are the best and worst Wrestlemanias between 20 and 29 that i should make sure to watch before my free month runs out?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Answers Me posted:

What are the best and worst Wrestlemanias between 20 and 29 that i should make sure to watch before my free month runs out?

Good: 21, 24, 26
Bad: 27

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
25 and 29 are pretty lovely outside of the Undertaker matches

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Benne posted:

Coupled with the general disdain for 27, it's almost like the theory of odd-numbered Star Trek movies is applying to Wrestlemanias. :tinfoil:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Benne posted:

I said this recently, but 25 is actually a very good show with a lovely main event.

23 is very good, and 22 has some fun stuff as well.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

TL posted:

I said this recently, but 25 is actually a very good show with a lovely main event.

I'd agree with this, not a ton of classics but a solid card. The MITB match is good, as is Jeff Hardy v Matt Hardy and the triple threat between Cena, Edge, and Big Show. Jericho vs. Snuka, Steamboat, and Piper is also fun.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Out of the late 90s/early 2000s WCW shows, which single PPV has the worst announce team?

I'm talking Tony-Stevie Ray-Larry Z-Mongo level of bad.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Please do not malign "The Straight Shooter" "Stevie" "Ray".

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Mongo actually owns especially when he brings Pepe with him. For terrible announce teams see anything with mark madden

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

neonbregna posted:

Mongo actually owns especially when he brings Pepe with him. For terrible announce teams see anything with mark madden

Oh GOD, I forgot about how awful Madden was.

Mongo is still terrible, but not as bad at announcing as he is at wrestling.

projecthalaxy posted:

Please do not malign "The Straight Shooter" "Stevie" "Ray".

He might be better than Booker, but he's still real bad.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The worst team might be the Bischoff/Gives No Fucks DiBiase duo from Souled Out 1997.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
One of the tragedies of wrestling is Booker T got a cool spot saddled with the name "Spinarooni" thanks to Mark. Imagine if the People's Elbow had been called the Elbow Macaroni or some poo poo. It'd all be worth it if it led to a Takerooni but it didn't.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Eh I dunno I kinda feel like Spinarooni is a perfect name for a silly spot.

I mean it was cool in WCW when he just used it as a transition, but when it got big and theatrical Spinarooni works fine.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Undertaker refusing to do a spinaroonie is why he sucks rear end forever and no series of ****+ Wrestlemania matches will ever redeem him

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Grab someone backstage with a mic and have them give commentary on their favorite match. Cobble the segments together with some Renee studio stuff and you've got a nice hour that I'd watch every drat week. What I wouldn't give to be in a Network focus group. There is so much potential for content.

Back when they had the WWE On Demand service, they would put up some old shows with current guys doing commentary. During the summer of 2008, they put up one of the Shea Stadium episodes from the early 80s with Michael Cole and Mick Foley doing commentary for it. It was one of the most fun shows I have watched due to them shooting the poo poo the entire time and just having fun. They spent an entire match postulating on why some guy that looked like Burl Ives was hanging around ringside.

So in direct response to your post, I would be very happy to see them do more stuff like that. That Shea show alone made me like Cole a ton more.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've mentioned this before, but one of my favorite aspects of Madden's commentating was his constant mentioning of CRZ on the air as "Some dumb internet mark not worth my time" Every single week.

EDIT: So I just got an email titled "Welcome to the WWE Network!" I've had the Network for over a year.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 18, 2015

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Answers Me posted:

20, 23, 24, and everything after the first hour of 28 are good

25, 26, 27, and 29 are all really bad minus one match, that match being the undertaker match that year

21 is good except for the last three matches

22 is bad but has some cool moments

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The last two episodes of Countdown are pretty great if you guys haven't watched them.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I haven't watched yesterday's Smackdown one, but last week's occupational gimmick one was great.

E: Watching it now, I had forgotted about Smackdown and it's beloved tranquilizer darts. JBL had them, Angle had one, everyone had tranq darts. It's like how 2003 Raw was Handcuffpalooza.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 19, 2015

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I loved the Smackdown episode because Smackdown was my team during the brand split and that period doesn't get enough respect. Can't wait for the Countdown episode about the best Velocity moments.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

25, 26, 27, and 29 are all really bad minus one match, that match being the undertaker match that year

I already stated my opinion on 25 earlier, but 26 is an amazing show. MITB, Jericho/Edge, Punk/Rey, and Cena/Batista are all really good, and Undertaker/HBK is amazing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I loved the Smackdown episode because Smackdown was my team during the brand split and that period doesn't get enough respect. Can't wait for the Countdown episode about the best Velocity moments.

Hopefully this would coincide with putting actual Velocity episodes on the Network. I'm still kind of baffled that Ultimo Dragon was in WWE at one point.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A year later, and still no Shotgun Saturday Night episodes. For shame, Vince. For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

oatgan posted:

The Undertaker refusing to do a spinaroonie is why he sucks rear end forever and no series of ****+ Wrestlemania matches will ever redeem him

Even Vince comes out to do it. It's not like he had his integrity to think about, he had already come out to Limp Bizkit at that point.