Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

What is Jrod's view of Rand Paul starring in a Homophobic documentary?

"We should allow him to clarify his statements about how homosexuals are destroying this nation and should be driven back into the closet. If he really meant those things, why hasn't he committed multiple homicides against homosexuals?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

"We should allow him to clarify his statements about how homosexuals are destroying this nation and should be driven back into the closet. If he really meant those things, why hasn't he committed multiple homicides against homosexuals?"

I thought it was more along the lines of "You are the one labeling him as homophobic!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
"I'm really not interested in whether or not Rand Paul is homophobic and wouldn't defend him if he was."

*posts eight more lengthy paragraphs about precisely that, and does*

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"Accusing someone as homophobic is just as equally charged as accusations of racism. I've read everything Rand has written and I simply don't see him being homophobic. He simply supports people's rights to free association, specifically the right to never associate with the gays. Maybe you guys could put down the guns for once and let us use guns to drive the queers out of town!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

"Accusing someone as homophobic is just as equally charged as accusations of racism. I've read everything Rand has written and I simply don't see him being homophobic. He simply supports people's rights to free association, specifically the right to never associate with the gays. Maybe you guys could put down the guns for once and let us use guns to drive the queers out of town!"

That's Jrod thinking. Yep.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Rhjamiz posted:

Apparently Kevin Sorbo is not only a hardcore religious conservative, he's also an AnCap/Libertarian. As are Tuvok and Ensign Kim;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT2kVRKSyU8

I have never been more disappointed that I cannot watch a terrible film than I am at this moment.

Jrod, please write for us a review of this amazing movie. I am sure you have seen it, because Ron Paul has endorsed it.

Edit: Also, yes, those are FEMA agents with the shoulder-lights and Firetruck horns.

Why would you shoot a movie and make it look like a cheap video. I mean, one of the benefits of digital cameras is that you can get that film look without having to go through the trouble of film. And yet, you use this amazing technology to shoot something that looks like a 90s sitcom because it looks like video.

And then the sound mixing. The music is too high for you to hear the dialog.

And then the editing of the trailer. You have no clue what's happening or what the film is about, and it's massively boring.

Why does libertarian art always suck? First, Atlas Shrugged was one of the worst novels I have ever seen and now this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why does libertarian art always suck? First, Atlas Shrugged was one of the worst novels I have ever seen and now this.

You forget The Probability Broach.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why would you shoot a movie and make it look like a cheap video. I mean, one of the benefits of digital cameras is that you can get that film look without having to go through the trouble of film. And yet, you use this amazing technology to shoot something that looks like a 90s sitcom because it looks like video.

And then the sound mixing. The music is too high for you to hear the dialog.

And then the editing of the trailer. You have no clue what's happening or what the film is about, and it's massively boring.

Apparently the book's author is hilarious too!

quote:

From a facebook discussion, IP libertarian and novelist J. Neil Schulman says to me:

You and your ilk have a problem with me and L Neil Smith that wont disappear with the death of the State copyright laws. Make copies of our creative works without our permission and well kill you. “Seno Akta Gamat!” [from The Fifth Element: "Never without my permission!"]

This is even more explicit than his previous, more subtle suggestion along these lines, in his logorights article:

anyone who attempts to violate my property rights in this logos should expect to hear from the legal firm of Smith & Wesson.

As I wrote in The Great IP Debate of 1983:

while Schulman, as an anarchist, to his credit admits that if it could be shown that his version of IP could be enforced only by state law, he would abandon it, he ends his speech with a very unlibertarian threat of murder: to sic the firm of Smith and Wesson on those who use the ideas they have learned from him.

And now he is saying he would just murder people who copied his novel without his permission. Ho-kayyyy. Need anything else be said about the lunacy to which the IP mentality leads?

Update: To his credit, Schulman has retracted his comment, after a long facebook discussion:

Stephan Kinsella: I didnt mean it. It was wrong for me to say it. Of course I wouldnt kill someone for a copy violation. Ive never killed anyone and I pray to God that Im never put into an actual situation where I have to use deadly force against an attacker.

I apologize.

This said, you make me seething mad and thats why I wrote such emotional rot. The way you toss around the word fascist at lights in the world such as Ayn Rand and Brad Linaweaver is awful.

I think your principles are truly hosed up and I will continue to argue against them. Just more civilly.

Neil

Something really special about a libertarian threatening to defend his intellectual property rights with deadly force.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bonus round!

quote:

The argument of Copying is Not Theft is that by copying a novel, a song, a movie, the owner is still in possession of the original and therefore by making a copy nobody is doing anything to deprive the owner of the original of anything of value.

Clever. Very clever.

But wrong. Very wrong.

Remember the scene in the movie The Net where Sandra Bullocks character, Angela Bennett, arrives home to find her house empty and a real-estate agent selling it? The real-estate agent has a copy of the deed to the house with a copy of Angelas signature on it. Hey, those are just copies Angela still has the originals somewhere. She wasnt deprived of anything by the act of making copies, was she?

Lets say you graduate from medical school and get a diploma, with additional certifications so that youre entitled to put MD, FACS after your name. Now, anyone copying those diplomas and certifications hasnt deprived you of anything if they perform surgery in your name and a few patients die in the O.R. right?

Or for my last example and you gotta love this one youre a scientist working at a lab that stores various viruses weaponized anthrax, as an example that if released could kill millions of people. Hey, you still have all your original security passes, IDs, and clearances if someone clones your biometric data and uses it to go grab some anthrax and drop it into the Lake Mead reservoir, right?

Come on, Neil, now youre just being arch, argumentative, and ridiculous. Get to the point copying a book, or a song, or a movie.

I never left the point. Its exactly the same subject.

I spend five years of my life writing a novel go through eight drafts before I finally have it right. Thats a major investment of blood, sweat, toil, and tears.

I put it up for sale on my website as a PDF file, or on Amazon.com as a Kindle file, or get it accepted for sale through iTunes for reading on the Apple iPad.

The next thing I know, all these versions of my novel are free Torrent downloads for which I dont get anything in return.

Oh, Neil, you still have your original. Copying Is Not Theft. By making a copy I havent deprived you of anything.

Except, why should anyone making a rational economic calculation pay me for something they can get for free? So people get the benefits of my five years of blood, sweat, toil, and tears, and my checking account doesnt have money in it to pay for doctors visits and prescriptions needed to treat my Type-II Diabetes.

Or, I spend four years of my life and a half million bucks of my familys dough including fourteen cuts in an editing bay making a movie. Then I put it up for sale on Amazon.com as a Video on Demand. Someone with software to get by any copy protection Amazon.com has takes my movie and presses it into DVDs for sale in kiosks in Hong Kong and, once again, as a Torrent.

Now before I even get the chance to sell my movie for commercial distribution which might get me back the cash, talent, and time invested in making this movie so I can afford to make another one people are getting the benefit of my blood, sweat, toil, tears, and cash and I am prevented from self-financing my next movie.

If I invent, compose, or craft something original, its part of me. Its part of my identity.

The basic libertarian principle of liberty starts with self-ownership. Preventing me from owning the sole right to offer copies of things that are part and parcel of my personal identity preventing me from owning the exclusive right to make copies of what I make as part of my personal identity is the destruction of my life and liberty and quite literally could end up killing me.

Think about it. Please. None of this is theoretical for me. This is how I make my living. This is how I survive or not.

I suspect he worries so much about theft because no one is buying his books. I do have news for him however, no one is buying his movie or his books because they are awful. Torrent is not his problem, his problem is that he has an awful product being offered to self-entitled middle class white males who don't like paying for poo poo because 'information should be free... man'

Edit: I can't stop posting about this poo poo!

quote:

The story is set in United States experiencing economic collapse, with inflation increasing rapidly and the government struggling to keep its power. Trading in foreign currency has become illegal and many shops are subject to rationing. As a result there is a black market for most goods. The setting represents the world as Samuel Edward Konkin III conceived it would be just prior to a successful agorist revolution.

The story begins with Elliot Vreeland, son of Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Martin Vreeland (an economist of the Austrian school) hearing of his father's apparent death and being rushed home from school. He discovers quickly that the death is fake, a plot concocted by his father (after receiving a tip-off) to escape arrest by the FBI who are collecting "radicals" accused by the government of worsening the economic crisis.

Eliot is sent by his father to collect some gold coins that had been stored in a safe location, for use as currency during the families intended escape. However, upon his return Eliot finds his family to be missing. Not long afterward, FBI agents enter the house searching for Eliot, who manages to escape.

Eliot's escape results in him becoming acquainted with the Revolutionary Agorist Cadre, an organisation plotting the end of the US government by means of counter-economics. The cadre has grown strong during the years of its existence, and has its own militia. Eliot enlists the help of the Cadre, and meets Lorimer, a girl similarly hiding from the law.

As the novel progresses, government stability weakens still further, and they begin tight controls of communication, travel and trade. However, they fail to avert economic collapse, causing the private sector (unions, individuals, syndicates and many others) to take control of the old infrastructure.

The 2013 graphic novel and the 2014 movie update the plot with more current references and technology, and the location of the story is relocated from New York City to Las Vegas.

Guess who Kevin Sorbo plays in the film. He plays Dr. Martin Vreeland.

They got loving Kevin Sorbo to play a Nobel Laureate economist.

Caros fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 19, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

You forget The Probability Broach.

The funny part about the novel is that L. Neil Smith really thinks that his little utopia would exist if everything like he says happens in that lovely book.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Caros posted:

Apparently the book's author is hilarious too!

Something really special about a libertarian threatening to defend his intellectual property rights with deadly force.

And there's something equally funny about a libertarian saying "Believing in IP leads you to threaten people with murder."

And that was said by Stephen Kinsella, the giant that I had to reckon with according to Jrodefeld.

You get that Jrod. You listen to absolute idiots who wouldn't understand a good idea if it came to them naturally.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought that libertarians didn't believe in IP laws?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I thought that libertarians didn't believe in IP laws?

It tends to be all over the place. Some do, some don't. In this instance he really likes them because he feels like he is being stolen from.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Caros posted:

It tends to be all over the place. Some do, some don't. In this instance he really likes them because he feels like he is being stolen from.

Rand believed so fervently in IP that she apparently believe it should be applied to other people's actual physical property. The hero of The Fountainhead is an architect who dynamites a building because the person who actually owns it compromised his artistic vision. Rand has the architect, Roark, vindicated and rewarded for this.

Incidentally, you won't be able to find this on the wikipedia summary because for some reason it isn't mentioned, but Roark's artistic vision for the building was compromised because the owner used it as a home for mentally disabled children and social workers. That is, Roark designed a beautiful building that was BEFOULED by RETARDS and LOOTERS so he blew it up, and he was not only right to do so but he is also legally exonerated despite deliberately and with premeditation destroying millions of dollars of another person's real property. Also Roark rapes a woman who then falls in love with and marries him at the end of the book, because he was courageous enough to render mentally disabled children homeless.

Ayn Rand was an insane piece of poo poo, etc. etc.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Rhjamiz posted:

Apparently Kevin Sorbo is not only a hardcore religious conservative, he's also an AnCap/Libertarian. As are Tuvok and Ensign Kim;

I have never been more disappointed that I cannot watch a terrible film than I am at this moment.

Jrod, please write for us a review of this amazing movie. I am sure you have seen it, because Ron Paul has endorsed it.

Edit: Also, yes, those are FEMA agents with the shoulder-lights and Firetruck horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rhjamiz posted:

Oh, like, I said, I already knew he was a religious nut (thanks to that movie). I just didn't know he leaned AnCap too. :v:

Give it a few more years and libertarianism will be indistinguishable from conservatism. Not like there's much difference between them right now anyway. There was some guy who ran for some office in New Jersey who called himself a "libertarian". Interestingly enough, he was completely against abortion, reforming drug laws, and wanted to further build up the military and be more involved in world affairs. So what made him different from your typical Republican? The fact that he referred to himself as a libertarian. :newt:

Also, every time I see Kevin Sorbo in the news, I cry a little when I realize how nearly he seems to be the polar opposite of the character he played on T.V. :smith:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

The hero of The Fountainhead is an architect who dynamites a building because the person who actually owns it compromised his artistic vision. Rand has the architect, Roark, vindicated and rewarded for this.

It's actually even funnier than that. The complex was affordable housing for the poor that Roark's rival Keating was supposed to design but Keating sucks so he secretly goes to Roark for help with it.

Roark is like "I know, I'll make this into a bare concrete poor-can so it will actually turn a profit on the reduced poor-rents and people will see we don't need welfare because the poor can be profitably housed in joyless Eastern-bloc tenements" so he designs it and makes a secret contract with Keating that Keating wouldn't let the government change a single thing.

Predictably, the whiny do-gooders and social-workers are like "hey jailing the poor in bare cells is kind of hosed up, maybe there should be some common areas and some recreation so they don't kill themselves" and when Keating says no they can't change it, the government is like "that's not the contract we had, you were paid to give us a design, you did, and how we build it is up to us."

Roark blows up the building because the government changed the design that he freely gave them with no contract, but he's mad that his private bargain with Keating to help him fraudulently pass off Roark's design as his own didn't bind everyone else on earth who weren't parties to it and didn't even know about it.

:spergin:"Hey here's my design, pretend it's yours and don't let them change anything, even though the contract you already signed says they have that right."

:geno: "Oh sorry to tell you this but they exercised their right under the contract to change things."

:spergin: "Those thieving blasphemers!" :tfrxmas:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

It's actually even funnier than that. The complex was affordable housing for the poor that Roark's rival Keating was supposed to design but Keating sucks so he secretly goes to Roark for help with it.

Roark is like "I know, I'll make this into a bare concrete poor-can so it will actually turn a profit on the reduced poor-rents and people will see we don't need welfare because the poor can be profitably housed in joyless Eastern-bloc tenements" so he designs it and makes a secret contract with Keating that Keating wouldn't let the government change a single thing.

Predictably, the whiny do-gooders and social-workers are like "hey jailing the poor in bare cells is kind of hosed up, maybe there should be some common areas and some recreation so they don't kill themselves" and when Keating says no they can't change it, the government is like "that's not the contract we had, you were paid to give us a design, you did, and how we build it is up to us."

Roark blows up the building because the government changed the design that he freely gave them with no contract, but he's mad that his private bargain with Keating to help him fraudulently pass off Roark's design as his own didn't bind everyone else on earth who weren't parties to it and didn't even know about it.

:spergin:"Hey here's my design, pretend it's yours and don't let them change anything, even though the contract you already signed says they have that right."

:geno: "Oh sorry to tell you this but they exercised their right under the contract to change things."

:spergin: "Those thieving blasphemers!" :tfrxmas:

I'm stunned at how this book seems to get worse and worse the more people explain what's actually in it. :psyduck:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm stunned at how this book seems to get worse and worse the more people explain what's actually in it. :psyduck:

Once I move back to Saskatoon in a month or two I'm seriously pondering doing a Let's Read of either Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged for comedy value alone.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Caros posted:

Once I move back to Saskatoon in a month or two I'm seriously pondering doing a Let's Read of either Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged for comedy value alone.

I dunno, a retsuraito or retsuriido or something? Make sure to take Skype calls from other goons in this thread!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Rhjamiz posted:

This is the only quote in the entire trailer:

"This movie contains moving images, and also sound."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Caros posted:

I'd ask you if you're really willing to flush a few dozen hours down the drain, but then again this is the Jrodefeld Debate Thread, so we're all committed to that already.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

I'd participate.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'd ask you if you're really willing to flush a few dozen hours down the drain, but then again this is the Jrodefeld Debate Thread, so we're all committed to that already.

Pretty much, yeah. I haven't read Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead since I was in junior high, so if nothing else it'd be entertaining.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Caros posted:

While I (and many others, I'm sure) would enjoy that, I can't in good conscience ask someone to willingly suffer through such things.

JRode hasn't won just yet. Some of us still have a semblance of humanity remaining!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Caros posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I haven't read Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead since I was in junior high, so if nothing else it'd be entertaining.

You could do Anthem if you want some lighter reading, but it's also not NEARLY as crazy as AS or Fountainhead. It's a lot weaker and more generic about its "grr government and collectivism bad, selfish individuals good". It did have one great scene where because the government was so collectivist and so statist, they condemn Our Hero for rediscovering the flashlight/light box. (Note also that in this world we are so collectivist that it is illegal to say "I", you have to say "we" for some reason):

quote:

"So you think that you have found a new power," said Collective 0-0009. "Do all your brothers think that?"

"No," we answered.

"What is not thought by all men cannot be true," said Collective 0-0009.

"You have worked on this alone?" asked International 1-5537.

"Many men in the Homes of the Scholars have had strange new ideas in the past," said Solidarity 8-1164, "but when the majority of their brother Scholars voted against them, they abandoned their ideas, as all men must."

"This box is useless," said Alliance 6-7349.

"Should it be what they claim of it," said Harmony 9-2642, "then it would bring ruin to the Department of Candles. The Candle is a great boon to mankind, as approved by all men. Therefore it cannot be destroyed by the whim of one."

"This would wreck the Plans of the World Council," said Unanimity 2-9913, "and without the Plans of the World Council the sun cannot rise. It took fifty years to secure the approval of all the Councils for the Candle, and to decide upon the number needed, and to re-fit the Plans so as to make candles instead of torches. This touched upon thousands and thousands of men working in scores of States. We cannot alter the Plans again so soon."

"And if this should lighten the toil of men," said Similarity 5-0306, "then it is a great evil, for men have no cause to exist save in toiling for other men."

Then Collective 0-0009 rose and pointed at our box.

"This thing," they said, "must be destroyed."

And all the others cried as one:

"It must be destroyed!"

tldr; statists think of the government and its bureaucracy like a religion, an individual making a scientific discovery on their own is heresy that must be destroyed.

E: Also you can read the whole book for free on gutenberg.org

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
My girlfriend recommended I read Anthem...is our relationship doomed?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uroboros posted:

My girlfriend recommended I read Anthem...is our relationship doomed?

Maybe it's a test, where you say "I have read this book, and it was poorly-written garbage" and she's relieved that you aren't a weak-minded libertarian

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Roark sounds like a crazy supervillain just saying

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Maybe it's a test, where you say "I have read this book, and it was poorly-written garbage" and she's relieved that you aren't a weak-minded libertarian

Well she is pretty conservative, but I am not sure if having libertarian leanings on top of this means our relationship has any long-term potential.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Uroboros posted:

Well she is pretty conservative, but I am not sure if having libertarian leanings on top of this means our relationship has any long-term potential.

I'm not a big believer in vetting for political leanings in my love life, but there are limits.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Disinterested posted:

I'm not a big believer in vetting for political leanings in my love life, but there are limits.

I'm of course being a bit of a smartass, we get along fine. That being said, going from simply being in a committed relationship to marriage/raising children seems like significant political disagreements could be a real obstacle down the road.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Caros posted:

I vote for the Fountainhead. Atlas Shrugged has gotten its share of public mockery, but the Fountainhead apparently has a completely untapped well of surprises! I had no idea about the specifics of it beyond "hero architect blows up government buildings."

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
From a literary perspective they're both trainwrecks but The Fountainhead is probably the more readable one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr Interweb posted:

While I (and many others, I'm sure) would enjoy that, I can't in good conscience ask someone to willingly suffer through such things.

JRode hasn't won just yet. Some of us still have a semblance of humanity remaining!

dehumanize yourself and face to politicking

e: In the same vein as Caros' Let's Read, would anyone be interested in watching/participating in a Let's Watch of the anti-gay documentary Light Wins, the one Rand Paul is in, when it releases later this month?

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 19, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dr Pepper posted:

Roark sounds like a crazy supervillain just saying

The book literally opens with him standing alone in a heroic pose on a cliff.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Who What Now posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to politicking

e: In the same vein as Caros' Let's Read, would anyone be interested in watching/participating in a Let's Watch of the anti-gay documentary Light Wins, the one Rand Paul is in, when it releases later this month?

Maybe, how would you be going about it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

Maybe, how would you be going about it?

Well, I figured one of two ways. Either me and a few other posters watch it live with a few beers and rip on it or if no one wants to do that or aren't interested in watching that I'll watch it a few times and try to write a script and record that MST3k style.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm down for it if you promise to record the commentary for people to play over the film rifftracks style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That was the plan, yes.