Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Go RV! posted:

So, Mick Foley is doing a comedy tour, and is in my city next week. What should I get him to sign?

fanny pack full of chicken wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shine posted:

I don't like the Neutralizer and would much rather he finish people with a big "gently caress you" uppercut, like the lifting one or that crazy spinning one he did to Sami Zayn.

Plus he's got the Alpamare Waterslide, which looks ten times cooler and seems safer to boot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Go RV! posted:

So, Mick Foley is doing a comedy tour, and is in my city next week. What should I get him to sign?

A photo of Melina

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A photo of Noelle

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Go RV! posted:

An agreement to never do any more comedy shows.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Go RV! posted:

A fake/plastic ear

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
Can any Australian goons tell me are the shows the WWE run here any good?

I'm tossing up whether or not to plunk down money on some gold seats because they are coming back to Brisbane this time

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Red posted:

At least with Big Show, he's a giant fat guy, so his windup punch at least looks impressive.

So you're the one person who actually likes the WMD

It is such a lazy terrible move

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MA2oEBGQ2A

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Tonfa posted:

So you're the one person who actually likes the WMD

It is such a lazy terrible move

It is a dumb and terrible move, it's just that a windup dramatic punch from a huge guy at least looks more impressive than a regular guy regular-punching you.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
The best punch finisher is, was, and always will be Regal's BRASS KNUX

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Red posted:

It is a dumb and terrible move, it's just that a windup dramatic punch from a huge guy at least looks more impressive than a regular guy regular-punching you.

He should probably wind it up or make it dramatic then

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Perfidus posted:

And here I thought his finisher was a stern talking to

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

I'm tossing up whether or not to plunk down money on some gold seats because they are coming back to Brisbane this time

They put on a good show, no doubt. It's always fun. I was on the fence about going last year and then it was looking like I'd be traveling for work when they came, and then Punk and Bryan were both confirmed as not coming so I lost a bit of enthusiasm. I usually do go.

They have a lot of fun with things, it's like hearing reports of house shows from the US. They try out different matches and you generally get a lot more wrestling and a lot less HHH jawing about THIS BUSINESS in the ring for 20 minutes.

Gold tickets is probably not a bad level to get. Go and have some fun, it'll be a good time no matter what happens.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Regarding Big Show's WMD Punch: My fiancée only recently started watching wrestling again over the last year and a half after not seeing anything since the mid-90s. When she saw his "finishing move" last year, she asked "How is that different than any of the other punches he delivered during this match?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sionistic posted:

And here I thought his finisher was a stern talking to

I thought it was a quickie, but that might be a misunderstanding.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

From what I understand they are supposed to be the house showiest of house shows ever. So if House Show stuff like title drops that will neve recognized and interesting matches are your thing then go buck wild.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Regarding Big Show's WMD Punch: My fiancée only recently started watching wrestling again over the last year and a half after not seeing anything since the mid-90s. When she saw his "finishing move" last year, she asked "How is that different than any of the other punches he delivered during this match?"

Yeah, Tajiri's buzzsaw kick is pretty much the only one of those "basic move x10000" style finishers I like. And even then it didn't look great half the time.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Perfidus posted:

He didn't use brass knux. He simply had the power of the punch. *raises fist and stares into the sunset*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shine posted:

He didn't use brass knux. He simply had the power of the punch. *raises fist and stares into the sunset*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci1wkgqt6g8&t=3s

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The best wrestling punch was when Owen Hart pulled something out of his trunks, smashed his opponent in the face, let them sell like they just got hit with brass knucks and then Owen would drop a paper tissue.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

flatluigi posted:

He should probably wind it up or make it dramatic then

Would it look cool if a guy tried to throw a punch like Superman?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Red posted:

Would it look cool if a guy tried to throw a punch like Superman?

Yes. It looks even cooler in MMA

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
For an example of that type of finisher that doesn't suck, just look at the Bullhammer.

BNB adds enough theatrics with the winding up and goofy elbow pad that it's a fun finisher.

Contrast with the WMD where Big Show just slowly punches a guy with no theatrics or wind up.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Gonzo McFee posted:

The best wrestling punch was when Owen Hart pulled something out of his trunks, smashed his opponent in the face, let them sell like they just got hit with brass knucks and then Owen would drop a paper tissue.

Flair's "foreign objects" always looked like finger splints wrapped in athletic tape to me. Which is likely true because I'm sure they just went with whatever they had lying around in the back.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

My favorite Owen stuff are the tales of him intentionally having a bad match to gently caress with people.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Blast Fantasto posted:

For an example of that type of finisher that doesn't suck, just look at the Bullhammer.

BNB adds enough theatrics with the winding up and goofy elbow pad that it's a fun finisher.

Contrast with the WMD where Big Show just slowly punches a guy with no theatrics or wind up.

The Bullhammer's got nothing on the Cobra Strike.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
My question is for people who were watching Nitro back in 2001. Particularly, people who didn't follow wrestling online. On the last episode, were you aware that WWF had purchased them? What was your reaction when Vince opened the show?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Talking about house shows, it really is a shame they broke The Shield up. Seeing The Shield in a small arena house show is one of the coolest experiences I've had at a WWE event. It's hard to describe, they were just totally different than anything else on the show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Bullhammer is actually better when it has the short-arm spin-out like the Rainmaker.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My question is for people who were watching Nitro back in 2001. Particularly, people who didn't follow wrestling online. On the last episode, were you aware that WWF had purchased them? What was your reaction when Vince opened the show?

I don't think he opened the show on that Nitro. He came on at the top of the hour/when Raw started for the simulcast.

It was pretty widely reported over the previous weekend that McMahon had purchased WCW, so it was hard to miss even if you weren't on wrestling websites.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

I don't think he opened the show on that Nitro. He came on at the top of the hour/when Raw started for the simulcast.

It was pretty widely reported over the previous weekend that McMahon had purchased WCW, so it was hard to miss even if you weren't on wrestling websites.

He opened the show with a backstage promo, and the simulcast was at the end of Nitro/the end of Raw's first hour, not at the beginning of Raw.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Halloween Jack posted:

The Bullhammer is actually better when it has the short-arm spin-out like the Rainmaker.

That's cuz the Rainmaker is the best striking finisher in wresting today.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

That's cuz the Rainmaker is the best striking finisher in wresting today.

Entirely because it's been so protected. Imagine Heath Slater doing it on Main Event, would it get the same response?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I didn't see the big deal about the Rainmaker when I started watching NJPW. It's cool now because it's a protected move,, but mechanically I'm not that high on it.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My question is for people who were watching Nitro back in 2001. Particularly, people who didn't follow wrestling online.

I'm not sure if any such person exists. If they do, they're probably not on this board now.

But yeah, I knew it had happened but not what was going to happen on Nitro or Raw. it was one of the more exciting nights in wrestling in my life and everyone was switching back and forth.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Entirely because it's been so protected. Imagine Heath Slater doing it on Main Event, would it get the same response?

That's the case with any move though. Heath Slater could give David Otunga a Burning Hammer or Ganso Bomb on Superstars and if Otunga kicked out at two and a half hardly anyone in the arena would care.

The Rainmaker's the best finisher in wrestling to me because it's done by a cool guy who's booked well and there's tons of ways they can tease it and reverse it in a match.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 19, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gaz-L posted:

If Heath Slater pulled out a Rainmaker on Main Event with theatrics included I'd mark out even harder, bro.

(I know)

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I just googled Rainmaker to see what it was and its a clothesline? Big deal.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The Big Taff Man posted:

I just googled Rainmaker to see what it was and its a clothesline? Big deal.

There's a pose with special camera movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

commentary even shouts "RAINMAKER POSE" when he does it but other than that its nothing special

its no high fly flow for sure