Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

The top of the paper deforms at one point in the video. I thought that maybe an edit could blend in better if it followed the deformation. So I could subdivide the plane and maybe add new empties in the middle points and hook the vertices there to the empties.

Oh, you don't actually have to subdivide the whole plane, You can just subdivide the top edge. I did that and just keyframed the distortion. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

~3 hour speed model

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

One last example of scanning from the Getty Villa.

Probably overkill on the polycount and texture resolution, considering the scan only consisted of 12 pics.

Recently, I saw a demo of Autodesk Fusion. I was pretty impressed and it looks like a fairly legit competitor to packages like Rhino. However, it is cloud based as far as I know and I refuse to use cloud based products (even though I realize that is where most of this stuff is going). Does anyone here have any strong feelings about Fusion one way or the other? I feel like if I am going to learn a NURBS based (engineering package) Rhino is best but Fusion did look pretty impressive from the demo.

... and yes, I know Adobe has gone cloud and Recap 360 is cloud based yadda yadda ... I just don't trust it.

Not at all overkill. My meshes are typically in the 2-3 million tri range, with a single uv 8k texture. When I have the time to do so, I'll re-uv and bake the texture in Agisoft using those new uvs and go with a 4k texture. The 8k is mostly because Agisoft's uvs have crazy amounts of padding and uv islands which wastes a good 60-70% of the uv space.

I've mostly abandoned Autodesk's scanning tech in general. Agisoft and Zbrush/Mudbox are already quite killer, and used by most artists in the industry.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Working on some generative trees in WebGL.

Vine video:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's awesome man! I tried to do something like that with UE4 only it was fail. I incorporated physics and that made it slow as poo poo and also I don't have a clue about anything

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Yeah, it's tough to figure out how to do stuff like that real time. It's super memory intensive. I pre-generate the vertices with bones using a recursive function. Then it's just a matter of throwing the mess at a shader to render it. The most intensive part of it updating the transform matrices for each bone which happens on the CPU.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That looks incredible.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Finally, Peter Molyneux's promise of real time tree growth is upon us. :allears:

I'm being serious by the way, that does look awesome. I can't wait to see loads of leaves sprouting up all over it

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I also started adding color to it. I need to do some UI tweaks before I actually put it online. It's pretty good at bringing a computer to its knees if it tries to allocate too many resources. I bet I could actually add leaves to the last bones to grow them. The geometry isn't the bottleneck so far.

Vine video:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone have experience with Alias for product visualisation? I have free student access to all the Autodesk products and I'm not sure which to focus on. I work in regular AutoCAD and I'm familiar with Inventor, but I want something that creates more realistic renders. The part-time product design course I'm doing is mainly focused on furniture, small appliances, cases for electronics etc. I've been using Fusion 360 and find it quite intuitive, just a bit limited.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone have experience with Alias for product visualisation? I have free student access to all the Autodesk products and I'm not sure which to focus on. I work in regular AutoCAD and I'm familiar with Inventor, but I want something that creates more realistic renders. The part-time product design course I'm doing is mainly focused on furniture, small appliances, cases for electronics etc. I've been using Fusion 360 and find it quite intuitive, just a bit limited.

From a cursory search it looks like AutoCAD > Showcase seems to be the solution you'd want. It's main job is to make things pretty, and it seems to launch from within CAD.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Showcase is okay. Vred is much more powerful and works with wire files.
We're switching over at work. It's not very easy. But some of the stuff is unreal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Was very impressed with Keyshot at work so I picked it up for myself at home to use with Zbrush, then wondered why it was running so slowly.

Oh right, work has 24 core CPUs. :downs:

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Chas McGill posted:

There are also Octane Render plug-ins for both AutoCAD and Inventor, but unfortunately it seems they don't offer free student versions for those platforms as they do with some others.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Just a quickie between jobs:

Vray, PS, etc.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

All of these things you people are posting lately look wonderful.

I landed a job doing tech things that have nothing to do with 3D or imaging or art lately which means I have less free time, but am more focused with the time I do have with moving toward what I want. It's funny how that works.

Question: Is there a preferred way to simulate the subtle reflections from a window/mirror in video footage?

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

Hinchu posted:

I also started adding color to it. I need to do some UI tweaks before I actually put it online. It's pretty good at bringing a computer to its knees if it tries to allocate too many resources. I bet I could actually add leaves to the last bones to grow them. The geometry isn't the bottleneck so far.

Vine video:

Do you have any contact info? I feel like I'm going to want to commission you for some work in the near future (or definitely at some point or another).

Anyway, here's some new non-work related work from me. I really wanted to learn Vray better, as well as skin shading, getting likenesses etc., so I started a new project in my off-time. The likeness still isn't there for me, but oh well.

the likeness reference:

raw render:

my comp:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SVU Fan posted:

Anyway, here's some new non-work related work from me. I really wanted to learn Vray better, as well as skin shading, getting likenesses etc., so I started a new project in my off-time. The likeness still isn't there for me, but oh well.

I think it looks really good, nice sculpt, but I think your scale is way too high for the SSS. It looks like a plastic dolls head or some sort of miniature because there's so much light bouncing around inside it. Try turning down the scale a lot more and see how it looks.

I'd also play with the spec levels and raise them up, in the reference she looks glossier than in your render. But that might be down to lighting, so maybe that needs a tweak as well.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

SVU Fan posted:

raw render:

Decent comp results, but I think you may want to tweak your initial raw results some more. The convolution you've got going on the skin is pretty harsh, which is making the skin appear more waxy. Lowering the SSS/convolution/whatever range should help pull that back a little. Don't be afraid to pop the specular a little more as well. Remember that the skin is multi-part, and you'll want to faithfully reproduce the oil, the pores, and the epidermis separately to get that "real" look.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Cyne posted:

Chas McGill posted:

There are also Octane Render plug-ins for both AutoCAD and Inventor, but unfortunately it seems they don't offer free student versions for those platforms as they do with some others.

On the other hand, looks like Maxwell Render does.

Edit: Not for Alias or Inventor, but if you have an Autodesk student account you could just download 3DS Max or Maya and render in there.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 21, 2015

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

On the other hand, looks like Maxwell Render does.

Edit: Not for Alias or Inventor, but if you have an Autodesk student account you could just download 3DS Max or Maya and render in there.

Oh yeah I love Maxwell - it's my main rendering tool. If he doesn't mind bouncing his geometry to Maya or Max I would certainly recommend taking advantage of that deal.

Edit: And actually he may not even need one of those since Maxwell Studio can import OBJs. For product vis this could be perfectly fine since you won't typically be dealing with a ton of geometry.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 21, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm completely new to rendering and textures since 90% of the time it's just the bare minimum of shapes and dimensions at my job - could get by with 2d wireframe views for most the stuff I do.

I've downloaded both Maya and Max since...why not. Might as well try both and see which I get on with for this product design stuff.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

SVU Fan posted:

Do you have any contact info? I feel like I'm going to want to commission you for some work in the near future (or definitely at some point or another).

I'm on gmail at tatum.creative and on Twitter @TatumCreative

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

KiddieGrinder posted:

It looked interesting until I got to this bit:

Required subjects:
One creative subject such as Fine Art, Graphic Design or Photography and one technical subject such as Maths, Computing or Physics

That works out to £27,000 a year for three courses. :negative: I'm not rich enough for that, nor have the brains to also handle two extra courses at the same time (competently at least).

edit: Solent Uni has an open day coming up during the middle of next month, I guess I'll get a feel for them then.

They're not actually "required" required, I knew plenty of people on my course who came in without doing an art foundation. I got in without doing A level maths, as long as you can prove you're more or less competent they'll let you in the first year, which will do it's job of weeding you out if you're really not good enough anyway.

Oh, and if you have the equivalent of 3 a's or something at A level, you get £1000 for free. Won't make up for the crazy debt you'll be in, but hey, free money. I managed to get it from a A in extended project, which I started about two days before the deadline, and a double distinction in BTEC ICT, which was super easy and I even skipped the last unit, since I couldn't possibly get a higher mark.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 22, 2015

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't get why someone would go to school for CG anymore. A few CG Workshops courses will set you back maybe a couple thousand American dollars, and for that you get better training than most schools. My profs at Sheridan were super intimidated that I came in having already taken a CG Workshops course with Judd Simantov (lead character rigger at Naughty Dog) and knew a more current and efficient face-rigging setup than what they were teaching.

Heck, get a few friends, set up your computers in a garage, and each pay for one CG Workshops course and share the info with each other. There's your super-awesome CG education for peanuts.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

For a lot of people, it's probably the immediate access you have to the people teaching you. A lot of places also offer 3DCG Field related programs like job placement, further study recommendations, that sort of thing. And not enough can ever be said about all the networking you get done at CG schools.

If you're purely interested in learning CG and don't want any of that extra stuff for some reason, then yeah, Workshops end up being the better deal.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

KiddieGrinder posted:

I think it looks really good, nice sculpt, but I think your scale is way too high for the SSS. It looks like a plastic dolls head or some sort of miniature because there's so much light bouncing around inside it. Try turning down the scale a lot more and see how it looks.

I'd also play with the spec levels and raise them up, in the reference she looks glossier than in your render. But that might be down to lighting, so maybe that needs a tweak as well.

Hazed_blue posted:

Decent comp results, but I think you may want to tweak your initial raw results some more. The convolution you've got going on the skin is pretty harsh, which is making the skin appear more waxy. Lowering the SSS/convolution/whatever range should help pull that back a little. Don't be afraid to pop the specular a little more as well. Remember that the skin is multi-part, and you'll want to faithfully reproduce the oil, the pores, and the epidermis separately to get that "real" look.

Good points. I was having trouble with the scale because the head was not quite at full human scale, so I would bring the sss scale way down to something like .6 which is incredibly low, and it still would get the green bleed through. But that should be all fixed.

I think I need to spend more time with a better spec map. I've ramped it up a bit by using a separate spec pass, but it's still not great.

I also tweaked the proportions, not sure if for better or worse. Likenesses are mad frustrating.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Monster sculpt thingy. First time i've really done one and i'm having trouble with too much or too little.

Any critique is appreciated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he's very bumpy and has no fingers or a face

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Now he has less fingers and more face.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I've been fiddling with 3D stuff on and off for years, lately I came across Moi3d and found out I like nurbs:

For some reason I never got too comfortable using subd surfaces and so logically, I'm learning about class-a surfaces. I may not be a smart man, but a hobby is a hobby.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I'm in the process of lining up a freelance gig and need some advice on the kind of rate I should be asking for.

It's basically matchmoving and some really basic rendering in Houdini on a bunch of short shots (up to 100). I am being asked for a per-shot rate and am not quite sure what would be appropriate here. My first thought was around $20 per shot but after learning more about the work I'm starting to think that might be too high for how basic it is. I don't think I would want to go any lower than $10 per shot. I know it's best to start with a high bid and negotiate down, but I also want to at least start out in the same ballpark as these guys.

Thoughts?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Eastdrom posted:

Now he has less fingers and more face.

I quite like this.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

It's an improvement, I'd still be tempted to take the scale down even more. With a strong light behind someone, about the only part that really has a visible SSS effect are our ears, the rest is very very subtle. So subtle in fact most people wouldn't even pick up on it, it's almost an unconscious thing. In fact if you want to test your SSS to see if it's the correct scale, try putting a bright light behind the head and see how far the light bleeds in past the ears.

And definitely need a spec map; the glossiness looks really good on places like her forehead and lips, but looks really weird around the eyes and ears, where the sebum producing pores are less active.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cyne posted:

I'm in the process of lining up a freelance gig and need some advice on the kind of rate I should be asking for.

It's basically matchmoving and some really basic rendering in Houdini on a bunch of short shots (up to 100). I am being asked for a per-shot rate and am not quite sure what would be appropriate here. My first thought was around $20 per shot but after learning more about the work I'm starting to think that might be too high for how basic it is. I don't think I would want to go any lower than $10 per shot. I know it's best to start with a high bid and negotiate down, but I also want to at least start out in the same ballpark as these guys.

Thoughts?

hours per average piece * desired hourly rate * buffer value for fuckups/feedback is the standard freelance equation for piece work.

If the shots are going to take less than an hour each and you want to make $10/hour then go with $10/shot.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Sigma-X posted:

hours per average piece * desired hourly rate * buffer value for fuckups/feedback is the standard freelance equation for piece work.

If the shots are going to take less than an hour each and you want to make $10/hour then go with $10/shot.

Yeah, I've asked them if I can pass a sample shot through the pipeline to get a sense of how long they should take before committing to anything.

Thanks for the advice - I think I've got a good place to start then.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Build in a number of revisions too, with extra revisions above say 3-4 costing extra otherwise you'll get stuck with a bajillion minor tweaks. (ask me how I know)

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Baking maps is a whole new world of i don't know what the gently caress i'm doing.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

SynthOrange posted:

Build in a number of revisions too, with extra revisions above say 3-4 costing extra otherwise you'll get stuck with a bajillion minor tweaks. (ask me how I know)

Yeah when I bid shots I assume 3-4 revisions per shot assuming its an similar effect [for vfx work] If its a one off effect where you can't spread lookdevelopment time around as much [ie. one shot taking a few weeks and 20 others taking 1-2 man days each] then you have to pad it.

I think the old rule of thumb was.. whatever you'll think it'll be to do it, triple it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Hhahahahahahhahhaha.

That was my life for a few weeks. Running woodchips and dirt through bullet.

RBD's are easy for blowing up poo poo, having small irregular pieces create a stable simulation where the camera is like a few inches away...?

:shepicide:

At least it was a bunch of cool shots I guess.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 27, 2015