Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Small 3DS forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Regy Rusty posted:

Small 3DS forever

Jesus Christ

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I'm glad Nintendo actually has the DSi store integrated into the 3DS eshop. I know you can find the DSi games on the eShop, but I was almost afraid you had a downloaded license of some kind rather than having it licensed to your system. I had already copyed my SD card onto my laptop, and was transferring all of those files to the micro SD card while I did the transfer. Then it wanted me to copy the new files which had the DSi stuff... I was afraid there was a chance I'd have lost them, but all I had to do was redownload them. I guess I was expecting a bit TOO LITTLE from Nintendo on this.

Also holy poo poo I hate that auto brightness, I turned it off as soon as I was done with the transfer. I had the lamp behind me while I did this, and I guess my moving and shadow was making the brightness go up and down constantly, it looked terrible. I already had seen stuff about the c stick nub not moving, but holy poo poo, even though I was told about it... I was surprised when I found it was just this solid unmoving thing. Works fine though so....

Also the Monster Hunter n3DS XL looks great. I barely notice the text, the texture on the system looks really nice.

I just wish the micro sd card wasn't stored under the cover... I don't like the way that cover is attached. Unscrewing and rescrewing are fine. But snapping it out and then snapping it back in feels like something is being done wrong. It's fine and doesn't move now though so, obviously nothing is broken... it just doesn't feel good to remove or put back on.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I tried getting an XL screen protector for my N3DS but I have since learned that the top screen protector screws up the 3d effects and creates ghosting. The bottom screen one was just too small with a significant part of the edges exposed. I ended up taking them off.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
is anyone else getting a problem with their new 3DS's c-stick where pushing down-right is like a loving chore? every other direction is a-ok, but it's down-right that either stutters when holding, or it requires me to grab the opposite edge of the nub and pull hard (i don't have the fingernail for this). i noticed it in moon when looking left was simple and a breeze, but looking right was slow as poo poo.

i did mitigate it by loving with the c-stick calibration. turning off my n3DS and holding up-left when turning it back on helped, down-right works super nice after that but now the neutral position drifts slightly to down-right unless i hold it. i might just send this in for repairs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's pretty classy that the Gamestop website has them in stock and is only selling them with $90 worth of extra poo poo. That's not being opportunistic fuckheads at all. "Starter bundle!"

Forcing fake bundles on people when systems are low is the lamest thing in video games retail since pre orders.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

I tried getting an XL screen protector for my N3DS but I have since learned that the top screen protector screws up the 3d effects and creates ghosting. The bottom screen one was just too small with a significant part of the edges exposed. I ended up taking them off.

Sounds like you got some cheap protectors or put them on improperly. I have hori ones on mine and there's not a hint of issue with the 3D or the bottom screen.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

NESguerilla posted:

That's pretty classy that the Gamestop website has them in stock and is only selling them with $90 worth of extra poo poo. That's not being opportunistic fuckheads at all. "Starter bundle!"

Forcing fake bundles on people when systems are low is the lamest thing in video games retail since pre orders.

Let me tell you about business

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I haven't even notice the auto brightness honestly so I guess for me it's working as intended.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I guess I'm going to have to buy a Euro/Aus version 3DS and import games since Nintendo seems content to not release the small New 3DS here, while pumping out these faceplates for all the other markets.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Variable_H posted:

I guess I'm going to have to buy a Euro/Aus version 3DS and import games since Nintendo seems content to not release the small New 3DS here, while pumping out these faceplates for all the other markets.

Please be sure to practice screwing and buy some latex gloves before hand.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

flyboi posted:

I'm well stocked up on latex gloves, and I've done quite a bit of screwing to GameBoys. I hope I'm good enough :ohdear:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

flyboi posted:

:geno:

EDIT:

Variable_H posted:

I'm well stocked up on latex gloves, and I've done quite a bit of screwing to GameBoys. I hope I'm good enough :ohdear:

:geno::geno:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

jivjov posted:

Sounds like you got some cheap protectors or put them on improperly. I have hori ones on mine and there's not a hint of issue with the 3D or the bottom screen.

I got Zagg Invisableshild protectors and for why is because that was the only ones Best buy had when I was there Monday. They were on properly it is the stupid anti smudge finish on them that was ruining the effect. the screen was fine when I didn't have 3d on.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Things every 3DS owner should know:

HORI accessories. Always.
Just follow the prompts with system transferring. Have a question? gently caress you, follow the prompts.
Turn off auto-brightness if your screen is too dark.
The new 3DS speakers are louder.
Yes, you want the new 3DS.
Practice screwing.
Suck a dick you dumb human being.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

noirstronaut posted:

Just follow the prompts with system transferring. Have a question? gently caress you, follow the prompts.
Practice screwing.
The going rate for someone to drive all over town to find you a N3DS is $5. Slim Jim optional.

Forgot one.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Practice screwing.

Thank you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I transferred everything over to my N3DSXL and popped in Monster Hunter. Was briefly scared when the second stick didn't work. Then I realized I had to toggle the Circle Pad Pro mode.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

noirstronaut posted:

Practice screwing.

The last one made me laugh. This thread has really been wonderful :allears:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Why practice screwing if we're sucking dick? Shouldn't we be practicing that instead?

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

flyboi posted:

do you ever get tired of making this joke every 2 pages

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If any ausgoons are still after a Monster Hunter new3DSXL, as of about 2:30 this arvo the Swanston St. EB Games in Melbourne had two of them for $250 each behind the counter upstairs.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Jadaris posted:

do you ever get tired of making this joke every 2 pages

noirstronaut posted:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Don't attribute that quote to me, I don't want that evil

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

ok i just 3d printed a plastic cover for my c-nub and it controls perfectly now. why nintendo made a smooth-rubber pressure sensitinve nub for games is beyond me.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

noirstronaut posted:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Okay sorry

epsilon posted:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dieting Hippo posted:

ok i just 3d printed a plastic cover for my c-nub and it controls perfectly now. why nintendo made a smooth-rubber pressure sensitinve nub for games is beyond me.

put it on shapeways

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
technically it isn't pressure sensitive it's just a membrane nub like any other button on your system and it works best rocked from the top instead of pushed so the membrane makes contact with the pads properly

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
but it's analog, how does that work?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/GxARP53WkLSwopna

These are the parts that stack up to make the c-stick. Basically there's 4 wires that come in to form an array like so:

code:
1    3
 2  2
 4  4
3    1
With how the array is lined up you can then calculate resistance between each point to determine a direction. As an example let's say you are trying to detect "left" you would notice that the left side of 2 and 4 would be heavily contacted while 1 and 3 on the left are not. By using some math you're able to do analog controls out of the array and due to the size it's exact enough to function as intended.

Also ausgoons 20% off at target ebay includes nu3ds systems http://www.ebay.com.au/rpp/Target20/target20-computer-consoles/games-consoles/consoles/

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Why do I want those different colored buttons so much? :negative:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Pokemon Shuffle is very fun, but also very "we need your money"-y

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

This seems to not take a screen shot at all when I hit home then select twitter. It just looks at what photos I already have.

Sorry about that, it seems I was thinking about the Wii U. Miiverse would be the only way.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

noirstronaut posted:

Pokemon Shuffle is very fun, but also very "we need your money"-y

I hate that I like it much more than Trozei.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

The poo poo cherry on top is that the stuff in the bundle isn't discounted at all. They just chose some items and added them all in, full price. This is especially hilarious since one of the items is an electronic copy of a game guide, which could almost win back a couple good will points by making it a bundle "freebie," but they're instead adding the price of it in completely.

The bundle thing almost isn't terrible, since at least the games included are solid games (no shovelware, which they could easily get away with unloading), but that extra five bucks for the eguide...man, I could just pay someone to go look for a N3DS somewhere else for that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DoctorWhat posted:

so why make the small one?

in other countries (and most importantly, in japan) the small original 3ds sold well, so it makes sense to have a smaller new 3ds. but it didn't in america; everyone bought XLs or 2DSes instead.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

corn in the bible posted:

in other countries (and most importantly, in japan) the small original 3ds sold well, so it makes sense to have a smaller new 3ds. but it didn't in america; everyone bought XLs or 2DSes instead.

The New XL sells better than the normal one in Japan by a factor of 3 per each Media Create sales report. It doesn't sell as well as some people may think.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I bought a small 3ds at launch. Returned it the next day. It sucks.

I'm guessing Nintendo is continuing to sell them, in part, because they don't want to lose face or something. Dropping it entirely would be admitting it was a mistake in the first place. (it was)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

noirstronaut posted:

ahahah god that post was great