Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You need all of this plus every single individual barony level holding in these borders under your control. Enjoy playing whack-a-holy order.

Found the problem, a random barony held by one of my dynasty members in the north of Italy that somehow went independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I think I'll buy this game while it's on sale at steam. Are there any of the DLCs that you guys would recommend?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

drat, those hands-off games can go weird.

After the Charlemagne start, around 1100 Italy said "gently caress it", swallowed Middle Francia and became HRE solo, much to the surprise of Bavaria and France. The Papacy owns some area around Rome and all of Portugal. The Abbasids are bums separately ruling a few minor realms in the shadows of a new Muslim blob. An independent reformed Tengri county of Galaz (tends to have rulers named Attila) has been bordering Byzantine for ages and they haven't done anything about it. Presumably they don't want to mess with Lords of the Sky right behind the count. There's still no England.
The entire coast of North Africa is now literally Tatooine. Pardon, Tataouine.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Bundle of Keys posted:

I think I'll buy this game while it's on sale at steam. Are there any of the DLCs that you guys would recommend?

You don't need the DLC's at start if you are just trying out the game, I would say try out the game while its free (lasts for about 5 more days) and then you start looking at what DLC's you want.
Though if you buy a few DLC's I won't complain as then I can upgrade from ordinary noodles to luxury noodles.

To make it clear, the base game has all the features you need to enjoy the game and then if you feel for being a medieval game, it doesn't feature enough incest to satisfy your needs. You can look at the The Old Gods expansion or the Way of Life DLC to play as Zoroastrian or actually seducing your sister. Etc. etc.

List of personal favorites for DLC's:
1. The one I am working on right now
2. Old Gods
3. Way of Life

Edit: I want to clarify my list of favorites have nothing to do with the amount of incest in them :heysexy:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 18, 2015

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Bundle of Keys posted:

Depends on how you want to play. If you want to play a long game you should set your own goals.

Legacy of Rome gives you retinues, and the goal of re-forming the Roman Empire and reclaiming its old borders, or mending the schism, and making Catholicism a heresy, and getting all their juicy holy orders.

The Old Gods lets you play as Pagans and Zoroastrians. Each pagan religion can be reformed which grants it new mechanics, and you can be named the messiah by the Zoroastrians, both of which are interesting goals.

Rajas of India lets you play in India, which is mostly its own little game with the goal of becoming the Emperor of all India.
I find it essential for some of my schemes, as it also allows you to change your culture and religion to that of your capital, which is handy if you want to re-create Rome as a barbarian invader.

Sons of Abraham is a bit meh as far as goals go, but it makes it less boring when sitting around as a Christian ruler, and I think SoA added heretic faiths becoming the norm, so an interesting goal is to bring enlightenment to the world and make Cathar the dominant form of Christianity.
You lose out on the benefits of having a religious head (Excommunication, Moral Authority and Pope Gold), but you get access to Cognatic inheritance, so can give women land, and you can have women councillors.

Charlemagne gives you an early start, and the ability to create custom Kingdoms and Empires.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It will tell you in the declare war tooltip how much, if any, MA you will get.
Thanks. It doesn't give MA. That sucks. I'm at that stage about 20 years into my big conquest binge that my MA has started backsliding, and further conquests only keep it stable. I need another 10 or so, but the other holy sites are both in the hands of the Abbasids and they've really power-blobbed this game. I'm not taking them short of a miracle. The assholes also swept in and grabbed a single province that I was about to grab which would've let me use the Conquest CB on two two other realms.

What are some other ways Zunists can get MA apart from the County Conquest CB? I've got a temple being built right now but I don't have enough scratch to really do that en-masse. I could maybe build 2-3 more. Without the ability to raid (and burn temples down) it's really hard to get it up to anywhere decent.

Current plan is "survive until Mongols get here, then go and take Baghdad later." It sucks to have to shelve my reform plan for 400 years, though.

EDIT: I did it! I've never been so thankful for religious rebels. I had three big Buddhist groups pop up in quick succession. Crushed them, didn't realise it would give me MA. Combined with vassal county conquests and temple construction, it pushed me over 50%.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 18, 2015

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Groogy posted:

List of personal favorites for DLC's:
1. The one I am working on right now
2. Old Gods
3. Way of Life

You tease! :sissies:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bundle of Keys posted:

I'd say get the big bundle if you have the means, then grab the latest 2 major expansions at the next sale if you wish.

Otherwise great expansions are Sword of Islam to play muslim, Republic to play republics, Legacy of Rome to have retinues, Old Gods to be a viking and start at an earlier date, Sons of Abraham to have more christian-related events. This makes any game in Europe pretty much as full-fledged as it can be I think. Skip anything that seems you wouldn't like to play, they're having pretty regular sales (just after RoI came out there was a -75% sale just like now, I grabbed it then)

Hogama posted:

Looks like that may have been a pricing error; it shows up as 33% off, or $9.99, now.

True, it's now 33% off but I snatched it for 75% off two days ago, just before going to bed . Luckily I didn't wait until morning!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 18, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Also I don't know why there's a few extremely vocal dudes in this thread who just tell everyone to cheat whenever they encounter a problem. What the gently caress? If you wanted that experience, I recommend picking up a bunch of historical novels.
Hah, if I ever actually finished that stupid console tutorial, I'd have shown folks that the cheating is the least you can do with that. Why not change Italy into a hindu realm? Have the Aztecs invade at game start, but have them as W-African Pagans? Depose all the karlings, but replace them with Fraticelli Greeks?

Zunist Ireland, Norse India, Cathar Africa, Finnish Scandinavia. All that poo poo doesn't happen by itself except in crazy edge cases but is a hilarious thing to see unwind. Watching the same old big blobs get bigger can get boring as hell. Did you know that with allow_laws you can force the Karlings into elective gavelkind? That once founded, it doesn't matter if the Fraticelli lose the papacy? That mercenary tribals are hilarious murderblobs when they feel up for it? That tribal W-African Ibadi can have Satan-Spawn?

Spicing poo poo up is fun-having, and gently caress anyone opposed to that. There's ironman for that other poo poo, and that can be fun too. But none of the edge poo poo I talk about would happen there.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Edison was a dick posted:

Legacy of Rome gives you retinues, and the goal of re-forming the Roman Empire and reclaiming its old borders, or mending the schism, and making Catholicism a heresy, and getting all their juicy holy orders.

Did they update it to convert the Catholic holy orders when mending the schism?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

mornhaven posted:

I think we remembered to fix so that they did. BUT! It might be a Sons of Abraham thing that Holy Orders switch to any "new main religion" so might want to double check that with someone else not me cause I'm too lazy.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

mornhaven posted:

Groogy posted:

I think we remembered to fix so that they did. BUT! It might be a Sons of Abraham thing that Holy Orders switch to any "new main religion" so might want to double check that with someone else not me cause I'm too lazy.

Yeah, it started to be possible after Sons of Abraham.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Damnit. 1385 and Timurd hasn't shown up. I'm out of things to do but kinda want him to show up so when I convert the save, he's not sitting somewhere awkwardly placed offscreen.

Although the more I wait, the more the game tries to correct it's mistakes in history.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Damnit. 1385 and Timurd hasn't shown up. I'm out of things to do but kinda want him to show up so when I convert the save, he's not sitting somewhere awkwardly placed offscreen.

Although the more I wait, the more the game tries to correct it's mistakes in history.

If he's not currently at war with someone over Merv, Samarkand, Balkh, Dhistan or Tus, he's not coming.
The latest he can appear is 1370, and the latest he can declare his conquest is 1381.
There needs to be a Mongol Duke or higher somewhere in the Empire of Persia for him to appear.
Samarkand, Balk, Merv, Dhistan and Tus must not all be in the same realm for him to declare his initial conquest.
If that succeeds then the Timurid Empire is created and he gets a bunch more event troops.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

If he's not currently at war with someone over Merv, Samarkand, Balkh, Dhistan or Tus, he's not coming.
The latest he can appear is 1370, and the latest he can declare his conquest is 1381.
There needs to be a Mongol Duke or higher somewhere in the Empire of Persia for him to appear.
Samarkand, Balk, Merv, Dhistan and Tus must not all be in the same realm for him to declare his initial conquest.
If that succeeds then the Timurid Empire is created and he gets a bunch more event troops.

Interesting. Welp, looks like I'm finished with this playthrough then.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
So my dad just died in his 40s from severe stress, and now I, a dwarf woman, have become Queen of Wales. Now I guess the question is, will I be able to seduce all the men into having hot dwarven sex?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Interesting. Welp, looks like I'm finished with this playthrough then.

Any idea how it broke? No de-jure Empire of Persia? No Mongol Dukes in the Empire of Persia?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Any idea how it broke? No de-jure Empire of Persia? No Mongol Dukes in the Empire of Persia?

I think it might have to do with the fact that the county of Merv went Afghan. Everywhere else is Mongol. :psyduck:

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy
I just picked up Charlemagne and Way of Life (and all the cosmetic dlc) and installed HIP (the interface is awful now).
I decided to try a game as Pictland because I haven't played a western Europe game in a while.
I'm wondering when I should convert to feudalism.
I'm currently doing quite well with a strong bloodline and married both my twin sisters to high ranking Karlings and I've been eating up Northumbria to gain my dejure claims, also luckily got a hold of Ulster for a foothold in Ireland. I'm close to the conversion requirements but I'm hesitant to jump on it due to how well everything is going. What are my disadvantages to feudalism?

Edit: Also any way I can steer Francia towards forming France or HRE?

Chimbley Sweep fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 18, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chimbley Sweep posted:

Edit: Also any way I can steer Francia towards forming France or HRE?
Why not both?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That mercenary tribals are hilarious murderblobs when they feel up for it?

You can give mercenaries land through the console??

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

You can give mercenaries land through the console??

:swoon:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Welp, converted over my save and boy howdy is it a cluster gently caress. It gave the Papal States Karling ideas. :psyduck: It gave everyone else in the world the generic ideas. There are doubles of most cores everywhere. Burgundy freed itself from the HRE but is no longer a member. The best part is it doesn't understand cultural names so it just makes a new copy of the country. Norge lucked out and got Norwegian ideas but Danmark is stuck with generic.

I was probably better of converting it by hand.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

It's good old "give_title [title_name] CharId"

Title name is c/d/k/e depending on rank, then name of the thing. Kent there was c_Kent, if I wanted to give them Finland I coulda gone with d_finland or the whole shebang, k_finland.

This also works for the Popes, (Coptic Pope Egypt is hilarious) holy orders and pretty much anything you can think of.

It's pretty great.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Does Sunset invasion fire automatically or do I have to fire manually using the console?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
From what I understand, it has a MTTH on the event chain, but it will happen if you've got it loaded. You can fire it manually if you want it early for whatever reason.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Welp, converted over my save and boy howdy is it a cluster gently caress. It gave the Papal States Karling ideas. :psyduck: It gave everyone else in the world the generic ideas. There are doubles of most cores everywhere. Burgundy freed itself from the HRE but is no longer a member. The best part is it doesn't understand cultural names so it just makes a new copy of the country. Norge lucked out and got Norwegian ideas but Danmark is stuck with generic.

I was probably better of converting it by hand.

Get me that damned save, I've seen several people say other states than Karling states get Karling ideas but I've never gotten it myself. Is there a Karling on the Papacy or what?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Groogy posted:

I didn't know that was a thing. I have SoA and mended the schism in my current game but still only have the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre. Possibly I mended it too early, before the Catholic Holy Orders came into existence, I can't remember.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 19, 2015

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Okay, so, one problem. I have a new laptop! CK2 auto starts on a resolution that pushes every single clickable button on the screen off-screen.

What do I do to change the resolution outside the game? I know I have a big enough screen, it's just starting /huge./

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Neopie posted:

Okay, so, one problem. I have a new laptop! CK2 auto starts on a resolution that pushes every single clickable button on the screen off-screen.

What do I do to change the resolution outside the game? I know I have a big enough screen, it's just starting /huge./

right click ck2 in steam click properties click set launch options then type -w then ur desired width then -h for it height

ex: -w 1920 -h 1080

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just discovered if you give a mercenary company land, you can play as them. I don't think that used to be the case, unless I was just lumping them in with holy orders.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Thanks! One more question: If I want to become Fylkyr, who should I start as? What start date?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Neopie posted:

Thanks! One more question: If I want to become Fylkyr, who should I start as? What start date?

Harald Fairhair of Norway in 867.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Svipjod and Sjaelland are good options at 769.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Won a Holy War for Baluchistan against the Abbasids. They had 40k troops and I had 15K.

Afghanistan is loving ridiculous. It's slow to move around, the defenders get massive combat bonuses and there's huge attrition on any attackers. You dodge around in the winter so the cold carves their army up, then force them to attack you across a river, into the mountains, against massed horse archer retinues. You can easily smash armies that outnumber you 2:1. I managed to snag Mountain Combat and I'm basically a god.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Svipjod and Sjaelland are good options at 769.

I choose harald because he's so young and you can get everything together and have elective succession by the time he's 30.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tho I've never done a Norse start at 769...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I've never not played Primogentiture(?) Ireland from Tuadhmhumhain literally ever. I've never finished a game mind you but I have played 2 before my current both around 15-20 hours of playtime.

This time around I'm King if the Eir'e by like 919 or something. I just want the empire of Britannia dammnit.

But the real post was can someone tell me why you would pick other succession laws? I use Primo right now because it is easy to follow and I understand the reasons why people get mad about it/ like it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

verbal enema posted:

I've never not played Primogentiture(?) Ireland from Tuadhmhumhain literally ever. I've never finished a game mind you but I have played 2 before my current both around 15-20 hours of playtime.

This time around I'm King if the Eir'e by like 919 or something. I just want the empire of Britannia dammnit

Try Robert of Apulia in 1066.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Try Robert of Apulia in 1066.

edit ur post quick answer my other ?

• Locked thread