Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

verbal enema posted:

edit ur post quick answer my other ?

I like tanistry as Irish, for role playing reasons. You are pretty much immune from game overs, but it's hard to get your chosen heir elected because they usually favour older members of your dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also I just play Ireland because I'm removed from a lot of the crazy things. I literally only have to care about the people around me since I know what Ireland is. Some of these other kingdoms I have never heard of but I was big on Ancient Greece not so much Medieval Europe, well politics at least and borders and what not.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I like tanistry as Irish, for role playing reasons. You are pretty much immune from game overs, but it's hard to get your chosen heir elected because they usually favour older members of your dynasty.

I must have gotten a bug because I had to console in an heir because my 69 year old ruler apparently didnt rule for 50 years. It would just not let me change the law no matter what. I did not change it when I became ruler as him, I had no upset vassals and I deffo ruled for 10 years x 4

the i'm not in a chat thread and can't post 10 times in a row edit: My roleplay in ireland is we loving love horses (stables everywhere) and if i ever have to get a horse for my wife/ trade route recipient chain event its the most expensive horse

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 19, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

verbal enema posted:

I must have gotten a bug because I had to console in an heir because my 69 year old ruler apparently didnt rule for 50 years. It would just not let me change the law no matter what. I did not change it when I became ruler as him, I had no upset vassals and I deffo ruled for 10 years x 4

When you crate a new primary title it resets the rule time. That's why you should get all your laws in order before moving from count to duke and duke to king etc.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Volkerball posted:

I just discovered if you give a mercenary company land, you can play as them. I don't think that used to be the case, unless I was just lumping them in with holy orders.

Holy poo poo, is this true? Hello, Varangian Guard campaign.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Knuc U Kinte posted:

When you crate a new primary title it resets the rule time. That's why you should get all your laws in order before moving from count to duke and duke to king etc.

Huh I never knew! thanks for that now I'm just sad I cheated but oh well its cool learning is learning

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I choose harald because he's so young and you can get everything together and have elective succession by the time he's 30.

Sigurdr already has a son in Ragnar Lodbrok (think he's like 4 or 5 years old) who automatically gets strong, so you wouldn't have to even get married at that start, which circumvents the whole gavelkind succession thing. But I've never played as a viking at 867 I don't think.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I just discovered if you give a mercenary company land, you can play as them. I don't think that used to be the case, unless I was just lumping them in with holy orders.

Does it still block your ability to marry anyone like a holy order does?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

Holy poo poo, is this true? Hello, Varangian Guard campaign.

Yep, just checked it. Gave the VG a county, switched to the grand master, and console killed him 3 times with no inheritance end games. You have to pay double the monthly maintenance that the Byzantines do, but there's no cost to raise them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SeaTard posted:

Does it still block your ability to marry anyone like a holy order does?

Yes, but your inheritance rules work just fine. Your heir is randomly generated at your death and the game continues on. You'd lose out on wifes stats, but that's it.

I'm spitballing how to make this work.

I think if you gave the mercenary company the republic, and then gave one of the patricians a county, and played as a patrician rather than the doge to start, you could get a family up and running before you were banned from marriage.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
JUST WHAT IN THE gently caress PARADOX. Why was I not told of this

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Volkerball posted:

Thanks for this wonderful new information.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Groogy posted:

Get me that damned save, I've seen several people say other states than Karling states get Karling ideas but I've never gotten it myself. Is there a Karling on the Papacy or what?

Sent you a PM. Sorry it took me so long. I was looking around my game to see/write down what it didn't transfer over. It does appear though that both the Papacy and the Teutonic Order both have Karling ideas yet neither are ruled by Karlings nor ever have.

Volkerball posted:

JUST WHAT IN THE gently caress PARADOX. Why was I not told of this

I just learned this too. I screwed around as the Teutonic Order for a while before switching over to the Papacy to see if I could at least check his court but *BAM* gameover.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Neopie posted:

Thanks! One more question: If I want to become Fylkyr, who should I start as? What start date?

Henrik Hansson or Erik the Heathen in 1066

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Sent you a PM. Sorry it took me so long. I was looking around my game to see/write down what it didn't transfer over. It does appear though that both the Papacy and the Teutonic Order both have Karling ideas yet neither are ruled by Karlings nor ever have.

I just learned this too. I screwed around as the Teutonic Order for a while before switching over to the Papacy to see if I could at least check his court but *BAM* gameover.

I haven't gotten a PM either here or on Paradoxplaza?
Also playable mercenaries is something I want, mostly for Elder Kings sake though. Would be awesome to travel Tamriel and compete in the arenas.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 19, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just played a little bit as the republic of knights templar to see what happens. Seduction focus still works, but you can't marry yourself or any of your family members, not even to debutantes. The only way to survive would be to have an allied feudal nation that is built of your legitimized bastards from the ground up. Just to ensure that you'll have family members who continue to get married on their own. You wouldn't get any of the adult male courtier boosts, but since all of the other patrician families literally cannot survive, all the trade posts they build will eventually circulate over to you as their families die off one by one. You'll also get a shitload of money based on being a holy order. So it's tricky and would probably require quite a bit of console fuckery to get it off the ground, but it's definitely doable and I'm going to give it a real shot sometime soon. Hopefully I can make the Teutonic Order HRE republic.

Edit: Almost forgot, the Teutonic Order titular title switched over to Patrician Elective succession, so no issues there. Should work exactly the same as being a Fylkir as a republic.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 19, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Just finished it up. I wasn't sure if you were still up so I had written some stuff down so you didn't have to go searching for that post in the morning.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The good news is that I gave my grand master character a temple in his capitol holding and advanced a few days, but the barony remained the capitol. So you won't accidentally get game overs for becoming a theocracy because you tried building a temple or something. Should act just the same as any other feudal ruler.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Just finished it up. I wasn't sure if you were still up so I had written some stuff down so you didn't have to go searching for that post in the morning.

Yeah just woke up, I'll have a look at it when I get to the office, thx!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
No prob. I'm just going to keep trucking along on my own. Helps hone my modding skills anyways. :v:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does the family WOL increase relations with landed kinsmen?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Torrannor posted:

I just looked up what we got for free through patches.

The first patch also included actual Crusade mechanics. The original Crusade system was hilariously bad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Man, does the game start do slow down after five centuries.
Mali is a Catholic sultanate. No country outside of the Byz has taken interest in Orthodox Christianity in all this time... except Danmark. The reformed pagan empire of Suomi spans half the map.:allears:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm Serene Doge of Sicily, I have a weak claim on Byzantium and the Byzantine emperor is my liege...why can't I form a faction to press my claim? As far as I can see in the files there is nothing about republic rulers being ineligible for claimant factions and from what I can read on the net, this is how people make a roman republic. Is there something else preventing me that I can;t see?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Oh, goddammit, even the Pope is now a bloody Karling.

Oh, and a King-Bishop I see.

Oh, and... wait a minute...

:stare:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Coward posted:

Oh, goddammit, even the Pope is now a bloody Karling.

Oh, and a King-Bishop I see.

Oh, and... wait a minute...

:stare:

No laws, may it be made by man or god, applies to the Karlings (or the mongols)

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Groogy posted:

Get me that damned save, I've seen several people say other states than Karling states get Karling ideas but I've never gotten it myself. Is there a Karling on the Papacy or what?

I've got a save where the Papacy and Teutonic order gets Karling ideas, neither are ruled by Karlings, if you need another save. Italy is ruled by a Serene Doge, but becomes a kingdom in EU4, too.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

By the way, what's a good place to drop saves to?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I didn't know there was such a thing as karling ideas, where does this information come from about the converter?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Baron Porkface posted:

I didn't know there was such a thing as karling ideas, where does this information come from about the converter?

http://www.eu4wiki.com/National_ideas#Converter-only
That or ask me I guess

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is there to know about how tech groups are formed? If I rename my empire, will I get generic ideas during export? Are national ideas affected by being an ahistorical religion? Is there some way for ottoman tech and ideas to appear in a start that isn't 1337 and doesnt involve the ottoman dynasty (seeing as not having an Otto state would make things difficult for islam)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can anyone recommend a conversion Lp that uses newer gameplay, particularly Art of War?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Well I am playing a Mega campaign where I play my own Easter egg character but I'm still in Crusader Kings 2 and is still a bit away from EU4.
Also when it comes to specifics on in what situation what idea group applies you probably have to look in the script files: Crusader Kings II/dlc/dlc030.zip/eu4_converter/copy/common/ideas

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Groogy posted:

Well I am playing a Mega campaign where I play my own Easter egg character but I'm still in Crusader Kings 2 and is still a bit away from EU4.
Also when it comes to specifics on in what situation what idea group applies you probably have to look in the script files: Crusader Kings II/dlc/dlc030.zip/eu4_converter/copy/common/ideas

Does being a custom empire affect tags? Does becoming Carpathia remove hungary tag?

How does tech conversion work?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

What is there to know about how tech groups are formed? If I rename my empire, will I get generic ideas during export? Are national ideas affected by being an ahistorical religion? Is there some way for ottoman tech and ideas to appear in a start that isn't 1337 and doesnt involve the ottoman dynasty (seeing as not having an Otto state would make things difficult for islam)

From my own testing, all Western European Christians get Western ideas, as do Catholic Byzantine states. All other Christians get Eastern, except Coptics, which get Muslim. Norse, Baltic, and Slavic pagans all get Eastern as well, unless they control a major European city. Muslims all get the Muslim tech group unless they control Constantinople, Rome, or certain other major Western European cities, in which case they get Ottoman. I think all Turkish Muslims get Ottoman too? All Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains get Indian. Mande and West African Pagans get Sub-Saharan unless they have a high average tech, in which case they get Muslim. Mongols and Tengri get Nomad unless they have a high average tech, in which case they get Muslim (iirc).

I don't know what Zuni get.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Good luck Primarhoc, you're gonna need it.

No, the Breton Band doesn't have any territory.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

From my own testing, all Western European Christians get Western ideas, as do Catholic Byzantine states. All other Christians get Eastern, except Coptics, which get Muslim. Norse, Baltic, and Slavic pagans all get Eastern as well, unless they control a major European city. Muslims all get the Muslim tech group unless they control Constantinople, Rome, or certain other major Western European cities, in which case they get Ottoman. I think all Turkish Muslims get Ottoman too? All Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains get Indian. Mande and West African Pagans get Sub-Saharan unless they have a high average tech, in which case they get Muslim. Mongols and Tengri get Nomad unless they have a high average tech, in which case they get Muslim (iirc).

I don't know what Zuni get.

I once got nomad tech and ghenghesid dynasty as reformed norse who inherited the golden horde so tags have something to do with it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

I once got nomad tech and ghenghesid dynasty as reformed norse who inherited the golden horde so tags have something to do with it.

Were you Mongol culture? Cause that would do it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Were you Mongol culture? Cause that would do it.

Norwegian.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, tags must play in too then. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tech is calculated on a world median now. Except if you are the mongols.

If you have a mongol horde title you get nomad unless you are on the median or above.

• Locked thread