Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sorry Ubisoft, already unistalled :smuggo:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Palpek posted:

Do what you want, Ubisoft, already paid :smuggo:.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Crappy Jack posted:

The phrase "Never Again" permanently branded on the hands and foreheads of all staff members involved in the creation of Initiates and the Unity Companion App.
The question is did they patch it out because they realized how terrible it really was or was it just because of the various technical difficulties they had.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

J-Spot posted:

The question is did they patch it out because they realized how terrible it really was or was it just because of the various technical difficulties they had.

Almost certainly the latter. They probably just flat-out could not get it working right.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Is anyone here trying to join the PS4 club with the PSN name of Mage_boy? Because I'm going to keep denying your applications until you ID yourself here.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

macnbc posted:

Is anyone here trying to join the PS4 club with the PSN name of Mage_boy? Because I'm going to keep denying your applications until you ID yourself here.

That would be me, I just got the decline a minute ago and came to check the thread to see if there was some steps I had to do. I'll reapply when I get home, going out for a while now.

Edit: also sorry if I was spamming you with invites, but the game never showed me a decline, just had the apply button show up again so I thought something screwed up.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 19, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kin posted:

Too little too late.

No kidding, this patch might have been nice two months ago.

edit: still gonna buy Rogue because I am a giant goddamn retard who somehow still likes these games :saddowns:

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 19, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Crowd and random event density on PS4 is way up for me after the patch.

The companion app missions are insultingly easy. Oh and of course it's dozens more icons making GBS threads up the map. Yay. *keeps complaining but plays another hour each night because it's mind-numbingly cold outside*

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I loving LOVE the AC games.. That being said, I keep forgetting to delete Unity off my gaming PC. I didn't even bother to finish Dead Kings. That's kinda how I feel about the franchise as a whole right now. I was really excited to play Rogue but there's no way in hell I'm paying full price for it now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Crowd and random event density on PS4 is way up for me after the patch.

The companion app missions are insultingly easy. Oh and of course it's dozens more icons making GBS threads up the map. Yay. *keeps complaining but plays another hour each night because it's mind-numbingly cold outside*

I seem to be getting "double-assassinate those two criminals" like every time I turn a corner on XBO. This game is probably an incomprehensible rube goldberg machine where they can't change one thing on one end without something on the other end exploding. Yet I keep playing it because drat it it's historical fiction in a video game.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

So much for the "major performance patch" that was forthcoming.

Wasn't that patch #4? Or were they promising another one?

Anyway, I guess it's cool they unlocked the companion app crap, maybe I'll get around to 100%ing Versailles now, but it would've been a lot better not having that poo poo to begin with.

That said, they fixed the find Leon glitch, so anyone holding off on Dead Kings should check that out, since it legit was really good.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wonder if/when they are going to release that Shao Jun DLC.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

hiddenriverninja posted:

I wonder if/when they are going to release that Shao Jun DLC.

I just really, really want it to not suck. Please make it good, Ubisoft. You can still make good games, right?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So it's the 20th, and PC still doesn't have a patch. On steam, at least.

I put down this game ages ago but I mostly just want the satisfaction of seeing those two outfits unlocked that re-locked themselves. :sigh:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Daily Forecast posted:

So it's the 20th, and PC still doesn't have a patch. On steam, at least.

I put down this game ages ago but I mostly just want the satisfaction of seeing those two outfits unlocked that re-locked themselves. :sigh:

It downloaded sometime last night for me.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Just downloaded for me, actually. (re-)Unlocked my Edward Kenway outfit and Napoleon Artillery Outfit.

And now... now I can finally uninstall. :eng99:

edit: Patch also gave me a metric shitload of money for some reason?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Daily Forecast posted:

"Please, PLEASE keep playing our game!"

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Just downloaded for me, actually. (re-)Unlocked my Edward Kenway outfit and Napoleon Artillery Outfit.

And now... now I can finally uninstall. :eng99:

Probably all the money you would have earned playing the companion app. They unlocked everything in the companion app because it and initiates have never worked right.

I hope they learn a lesson and skip both with AC Victory, but I know they won't. :sigh:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Snuffman posted:

I hope they learn a lesson and skip both with AC Victory, but I know they won't. :sigh:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Also gotta keep in mind that it sounds like, what, Ubisoft Quebec is doing Victory? So we don't know what to expect from them if this will be their first real AC center-stage.

So far all the AssCreeds made by the core group ( 1, 3, Unity ) have been trash. All the ones made by internal companies ( 2, Bro, Black Flag, Rogue ), but not that initial group have been good. And then Revelation was made by a company owned by Ubisoft and ended up ok, nowhere near as good as the best AssCreed games, but significantly better then 1/3/Unity.

At the rate things are going "Made by the core Assassin Creed team!" is a reminder you should avoid the title.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So just got around to beating Unity. Going to start Dead Kings tomorrow.

Ending thoughts, particularly regarding Elise:

So is it just the thing Ubisoft does in AC titles now to create strong female characters and then to serve some emotional plot point for the main character? Because they did the same drat thing in AC4 with Mary Read/Kidd.

It's a pretty bad cliche as it is, but it's even worse when they keep repeating it.

Overall I think AC: Unity might ultimately be the most soulless AAA title I've ever played. There is no "spark", no creative juice in it. It clearly had a lot of time and money invested in it, but all of it basically just serves as window dressing for the flattest and most uninteresting story in the AC series to date. I did pretty much all the murder mysteries and paris stories, and I always kept forgetting what was going on in the main story and never had any particular desire to return to it, because it was just so boring.
You can feel the endless parade of Ubisoft studios involved in it because the whole thing feels designed by committee within an inch of its life.

The thing that really pisses me off about it is that I was one of the people saying for years how great it would be if there was a French Revolution AC game, because there was so much interesting stuff going on at the time that would make good fodder for the game, plus Paris would make such a great setting. But they somehow made the French Revolution dull, which is probably the greatest achievement this game can lay claim to.

I plan to start on Dead Kings tomorrow, since I've heard people here saying good things about it, and free is about the most I'm willing to pay for more of this title.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010
Is there a Goon-Club on PS4? I'd like to apply under Jonsphantom.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Every time I pay for a Ubisoft game it feels like getting kicked in the balls. Maybe this time will be different... game starts series of unskippable cutscenes at 320x200.

edit: okay what the poo poo do I do about this

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 26, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Rogue ruled, way too much side poo poo tho especially because I chronically 100% sync these games

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
If the PC LGSA club is still active, I just sent in a request under this name.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm feeling like the controls are very clunky. Trying to do complicated time-limited tasks when Arno won't get off a goddamn chimney or step his toe over an imaginary ledge is very frustrating. Is there a way to switch targets in combat? I will often go to attack a guy and have Arno slowly back towards him, then lunge at a completely different guy and lock the camera to the floor in a kill animation. I often feel like I'm flailing half-blind due to restricted camera angles and a seeming ability to choose who to attack. It would be comical how terrible he is at fighting if I didn't have to complete objectives.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? The game is very pretty and I want to like the setting, although I'm also detecting a disturbing lack of connection between anything happening vis the revolution and my plot line.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So if your connection to uplay hiccups it kicks you out of co-op missions and makes you start over? Nice.

It occurs to me that if I had not paid for the game this would not happen.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
On the flip side, the only co-op sessions I played from start to finish were with goons. Almost every other co-op session I played I jumped in after the objectives were compete and pubbies were just running around grabbing sync points. I followed suit and "finished" the mission without doing any work. There is a joke about Ubisoft in there somewhere.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To clarify this was in Play Privately.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
After all the patches and all this time, is Unity worth getting? I've played every AC game up to now, have they fixed the poo poo enough?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Adun posted:

After all the patches and all this time, is Unity worth getting? I've played every AC game up to now, have they fixed the poo poo enough?

Yeah, if you can meet the minimum reqs, it's good.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't say it's good per se, but it's playable.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Adun posted:

Nope

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's mediocre at best and still doesn't work on many setups, the graphical issues like the ridiculous npc and environment pop-in are still there and it seems like they're part of the engine and not something Ubisoft can ever fix. I'd say this game is only for hardcore AC fans and even then it may end up being a big disappointment. Good luck finding co-op games for the harder missions at this point too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

It's mediocre at best and still doesn't work on many setups, the graphical issues like the ridiculous npc and environment pop-in are still there and it seems like they're part of the engine and not something Ubisoft can ever fix. I'd say this game is only for hardcore AC fans and even then it may end up being a big disappointment. Good luck finding co-op games for the harder missions at this point too.

People still play Brotherhood MP

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Too late to join the PS4 club? [lljk] or [gbgo] ya?

Also, you don't actually join a club competition, right? Just do the missions that are listed? This game is not explained very well. :downs:

Dr.Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 1, 2015

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Adun posted:

Buy rogue on release day to convince Ubi to make more boat games.

Buy Unity when it's ten bucks on steam sale.

I say this as someone who pre-ordered Rogue on 360 and bought Unity used for $20.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ayn rand hand job posted:

People still play Brotherhood MP
More power to them, I'm talking from my own experience where I couldn't get a single game of The Tournament mission going for days. I can't imagine how much harder it has to be a few weeks later.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I still need to do sync takedowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Too late to join the PS4 club? [lljk] or [gbgo] ya?

Also, you don't actually join a club competition, right? Just do the missions that are listed? This game is not explained very well. :downs:

Any creed points you earn during a comp period are added to your club tally.

You can gain double points by doing the listed missions and by performing specific actions (air assassinations, poison, etc). This also stacks for a chance at quadruple points.

• Locked thread