Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Loves me some Quantum & Woody :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Loves me some Quantum & Woody :allears:

...but... his eyes aren't closed. :raise:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

...but... his eyes aren't closed. :raise:

He went blind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nippleage is still a great word.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Nippleage is still a great word.

Ah yes, The Nipple Age. Truly a great time in comic history.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know she's not a well known character outside of comics, and I thought Brian Woods run on Adjectiveless X-Men was kinda boring, but I think Psylocke's new costume in that run is probably my favorite costume redesign in the pat decade (Danver's Captain Marvel suit might beat it)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm trying to find an image that was basically the Joker's list of things he finds funny, featuring "Fish being gutted" over and over again with some other stuff.

Anybody remember when that happened?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm trying to find an image that was basically the Joker's list of things he finds funny, featuring "Fish being gutted" over and over again with some other stuff.

Anybody remember when that happened?

Batman 663

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GotG #24

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Cover of the year:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

While it absolutely is, it should be noted that it isn't a crossover or evolution of Afterlife with Archie. It's a separate crossover that hems a lot closer to traditional Archie by the looks of it. This is just an alternate cover in the Afterlife with Archie style.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=26155

Now seriously when the gently caress did Archie comics become worth a drat? This is puzzling.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Now seriously when the gently caress did Archie comics become worth a drat? This is puzzling.

They first showed signs of being worth a drat way back in the day, but then went dark again for over a decade...

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

redbackground posted:

Cover of the year:

Now I want a variant where Predator is cleaning Jughead's skull with his crown still on it. :colbert:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Jiro posted:

Now I want a variant where Predator is cleaning Jughead's skull with his crown still on it. :colbert:

The other alternate cover is kinda close.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

mind the walrus posted:

While it absolutely is, it should be noted that it isn't a crossover or evolution of Afterlife with Archie. It's a separate crossover that hems a lot closer to traditional Archie by the looks of it. This is just an alternate cover in the Afterlife with Archie style.

Wow, Archie used to be just fuckin' oblivious but now he's a shitlord. 'Oh these two were fighting, I'll trip and make out with the one I land on and give no gently caress about anything else.'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jiro posted:

Jughead doesn't have a crown, it's a whoopee cap.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

TheJoker138 posted:

They first showed signs of being worth a drat way back in the day, but then went dark again for over a decade...

Sega basically said "get your poo poo together or we pull the licence to Sonic the Hedgehog."

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Carnage is a helpful guy:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I know. I went out of my way to buy a copy of that one-shot like a decade ago. Made for a great bathroom piece. It was clearly just an aberration though. Now suddenly we have Afterlife and suddenly poo poo like Archie v. Predator is getting greenlit and my world is just upside-down. It turns out I was relying on the constant of Archie a lot more than I thought.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Archie's main comic also had that crisis on infinite Archies thing going on, which was the weirdest thing to even happen to Archie since that time they revealed Jughead was a time cop who was in love with Archie's great grand-daughter from the future and that's why he wasn't interested in other girls.

They also introduced a gay character a few years back, which isn't really notable except for the fact that it's Archie.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Archie's main comic also had that crisis on infinite Archies thing going on, which was the weirdest thing to even happen to Archie since that time they revealed Jughead was a time cop who was in love with Archie's great grand-daughter from the future and that's why he wasn't interested in other girls.

I honestly have no idea if you're joking or not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PJOmega posted:

I honestly have no idea if you're joking or not.

I don't joke about Jughead.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

They also introduced a gay character a few years back, which isn't really notable except for the fact that it's Archie.

Wasn't the Crisis on Infinite Archies thing this awesome plot-twist out of left field too? Like there was an Archie comic that at first just seemed to be an anthology of different what if-type scenarios, but then in the last page of one of them you had Dilton jumping universes Sliders-style to save the Archie Multiverse or something like that?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No idea of source, but would make a great avatar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Idran posted:

Wasn't the Crisis on Infinite Archies thing this awesome plot-twist out of left field too? Like there was an Archie comic that at first just seemed to be an anthology of different what if-type scenarios, but then in the last page of one of them you had Dilton jumping universes Sliders-style to save the Archie Multiverse or something like that?

Yeah, something like that. And it came off the heavily advertised "wedding of Archie" thing, if I recall, so it was like a bait and switch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The weirdest period for Archie was in the 1970s when they allowed Al Hartley to use the characters in Spire Christian Comics, where Archie, Reggie, Veronica, Betty, Jughead and the rest pontificated on how everything was much better back in the 1890s.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Tiggum posted:

Jughead doesn't have a crown, it's a whoopee cap.

Quite seriously, thank you for posting this. I learned something today!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

The weirdest period for Archie was in the 1970s when they allowed Al Hartley to use the characters in Spire Christian Comics, where Archie, Reggie, Veronica, Betty, Jughead and the rest pontificated on how everything was much better back in the 1890s.

Not the time Archie and co were spies?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

In his defense, it's basically drawn as a crown. A whoopee cap shouldn't have such a tall 'brim'.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Wheat Loaf posted:

This thread can use more Al Hartley, to be honest.

And that particular 1890's story you talked about was a copy of an earlier story which had a more pro-environmental message.

Cangelosi fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 19, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I don't joke about Jughead.

The "read to find out the explanation for this bizarre cover" doesn't work so well in a book with "Time Police" in it's title. Like I think kids can figure out the cause of two instances of the same person in the same place in a book about time travel.

mind the walrus posted:

Wow, it kind of makes it creepier that it's using the normal artstyle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, something like that. And it came off the heavily advertised "wedding of Archie" thing, if I recall, so it was like a bait and switch.

Yeah, Life with Archie isn't the main Archie comic. It's another spin-off. The main Archie comic is just "Archie" though THAT is getting relaunched with Mark Waid writing and Fiona Staples on art for at least the first couple issues. Archie's doing some good stuff lately.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cangelosi posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. "MORE than equals", except for property rights, the right to vote, equal pay, not being sexually harassed and y'know, anything that men take for granted. But hey, some guys who weren't assholes held doors open and tipped their hats, so that makes it all OK!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. "MORE than equals", except for property rights, the right to vote, equal pay, not being sexually harassed and y'know, anything that men take for granted. But hey, some guys who weren't assholes held doors open and tipped their hats, so that makes it all OK!

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lurdiak posted:

Is that supposed to be a really bushy Amish style beard on Dilton there? Or just some really weird fuzzy shadows around his chin?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I think it's a turtleneck.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Is that supposed to be a really bushy Amish style beard on Dilton there? Or just some really weird fuzzy shadows around his chin?
It's a beard:

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Cangelosi posted:

And that particular 1890's story you talked about was a copy of an earlier story which had a more pro-environmental message.

"Pollution starts with people - like those loving negroes trying to move into Riverdale! Grab a noose, Arch!"

I really can't see pro-environmentalism there, especially when it's putting out a Reagan "trees cause pollution" level message of "factories don't make smog!"

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, specifically the people who had the loving factory built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pieces of Peace posted:

"Pollution starts with people - like those loving negroes trying to move into Riverdale! Grab a noose, Arch!"

I really can't see pro-environmentalism there, especially when it's putting out a Reagan "trees cause pollution" level message of "factories don't make smog!"

I remember reading a Captain America comic from the 80's where Cap goes to this "idealistic" turn of the Century representation of America. But Cap figures there's plenty wrong about the place.
And when Cap goes looking for the Falcon and finds him as a "sho' nuff" shoe-shine boy he immediately figures out what the problem is.

Basically the place was combined from the minds of four different people all hooked up to a Computer. Cap's a little boy, a racist 80 year old granny and a Nazi sympathiser.
I didn't realize it at the time, but I get the feeling the story was deliberately targeting that Archie comic of "everything in the 1900's was better than now. What with people complaining about us beating on minorities."