Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh man, grinding arty. What a chode. I remember S-51 games where literally zero fully aimed in shots managed to hit stationary targets, and this was way before arty was turbofucked by nerfs. The 261 still shoots OK though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Just got the IS-6 over the weekend, had this game today-

Note KonigRasnake's damage.

KonigRasnake
Mar 20, 2014

Simply trying to enjoy some lemonade and magic-head.
In my defense, I got pushed by a Bulldog with like 3k wn8.

Team protection is a crutch.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I just unlocked the M103, but need to grind silver to buy it. Are T-14 and Churchill III still good choices? What are the other money makers, it's been a while since I've had to do this.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
E100: Highway
1390: Ensk
E100: Prok
1390: Cliff
1390: Himmels
1390: LAKEVILLE! Wish me luck. e: nope zero tanks on our team went mid, 5 went valley, easy loss.

e2: Finally got Fiery Salient, barely got the spotting. Enemy team nearly ran out of HP. loving terrible missions, at least combine spotting and regular damage.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 19, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

YF19pilot posted:

I just unlocked the M103, but need to grind silver to buy it. Are T-14 and Churchill III still good choices? What are the other money makers, it's been a while since I've had to do this.

Preferential 8 tanks will always be the best for credit grinding. T-14 and Churchill III are both good choices, with the latter being a particular favorite around here. Press R three times and hold left click.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Animal posted:

Preferential 8 tanks will always be the best for credit grinding. T-14 and Churchill III are both good choices, with the latter being a particular favorite around here. Press R three times and hold left click.

Ah, so things like Spershing, M34, etc? I might spring for that once I have cash to get gold. I also have a SU-122-44. Is that still good?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

YF19pilot posted:

Ah, so things like Spershing, M34, etc? I might spring for that once I have cash to get gold. I also have a SU-122-44. Is that still good?

T34 isn't pref but its pretty good, su-122-44 has even more dpm than the IS6 and can see tier 5's.

Personally I liked the Spershing, (but I'm a minority) and now that I just got the IS-6 I like it a lot.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
JT88 is also a decent choice since the shell cost is so low. Hide the lower plate and it can suddenly take a beating.

AlmightyPants posted:

Can someone give me some tips on the Challenger? I'm just having a rotten time with it. Fast, no armor, no turret armor, no alpha, not enough penetration. I'm struggling with it quite a bit other than finding someplace off to the side, hiding and plinking away while hoping my team is able to not self-immolate.

Free-xp. I'm not joking. You described everything wrong with the tank. Now realize that there isn't any room for an upside as all those features are in the other column.

CitizenKain posted:

Running out of shells in a Sturer never happened to me in my games in it. I got within 1-2 shells a few times, but by that point things were either in the bag already or had completely gone to poo poo. It did make me have to be a lot more choosy with shots though. Instead of aiming for the most dangerous tank in a group, I'd go for something softer just to make sure the shot counted.

As this guy says, get the big gun. That kind of damage at that tier is hilarious. The hard part is the chassis being so drat slow, but once you find a hill to roll on, it gets enjoyable. That is, unless as stated to find yourself at one shell like this game:

I wonder why we lost? It surely wasn't because of me!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Oh 11_ad :allears:

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 19, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Report for physical threats, hope for the permaban. He's in a clan so you'd even be able to tell whether he gets banned or not.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

Sturer Emil: Top gun or stock gun with gold?

The stock gun has slightly better DPM and handling with only 4mm less pen, while the top gun only has 15 shells.

I grinded the 128 with the 105. The 105 is definitely a usable gun for that tier, but the 128 is what you'll ultimately want (because otherwise you're driving a tier 7 Dicker Max.) As CitizenKain mentioned, though, you will definitely need to be careful with your shots, because every miss will hurt. You won't be able to risk cupola shots, or snap shots, or anything other than a sure hit once you mount the 128. I never actually ran out of shells with it, but I held a lot more shots than I would've with the 105. You'll eventually want to get that gun though, I would just say you could stand grinding it out rather than free-XPing it.

Hey, uh, do you have multiple accounts? I didn't realize you were also JGCC, and I don't want to say too much here but you don't have PMs sooo.... :( Sorry, just curious.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Atomizer posted:

Hey, uh, do you have multiple accounts? I didn't realize you were also JGCC, and I don't want to say too much here but you don't have PMs sooo.... :( Sorry, just curious.

He isn't but John has been working in some remote oil field for months, so he let's us gently caress around on his account. I might effort post some game chat, that guy went nuts when I mocked him. 11_AD are notorious REAL VETS ONLY spergs, so easy to trigger.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

E100: Highway
E100: Prok
1390: Cliff
1390: Himmels
1390: LAKEVILLE! Wish me luck. e: nope zero tanks on our team went mid, 5 went valley, easy loss.

e2: Finally got Fiery Salient, barely got the spotting. Enemy team nearly ran out of HP. loving terrible missions, at least combine spotting and regular damage.

I finally got got my Ghost for the T28HC done last night, got a Westfield southspawn in my t-71. I just drove up very close to their ridge and sat in a bush, highlight included an enemy wz-131 moving to a bush like 40meters away and not spotting me. 2007 spotting damage that game.......
Next goal is the LT-14 - Be top xp on your team, think I've done that several times in my bulldog so should be easy enough given a couple of games.

I guess I really need to platoon this weekend to get all those missions out of the way too, guess things like Deathstar or bulldog or t10 arty platoons should be really funny.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

warcrimes posted:

He isn't but John has been working in some remote oil field for months, so he let's us gently caress around on his account. I might effort post some game chat, that guy went nuts when I mocked him. 11_AD are notorious REAL VETS ONLY spergs, so easy to trigger.

Typical fake military clan members - they want to pretend to be babykillers but god forbid they actually work up the courage to kill foreigner's children themselves.

Fake military clans are the juiciest targets.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

warcrimes posted:

Ah, ok, that makes more sense. I haven't spoken to JGCC in a long time, but I do remember him about his work and how he loaned out his account (when he was in PBKAC at least.) I had just assumed that he was the one playing after joining PLSGO.

As far as the 11AD guys go, I'm sure I've played a thousand games with them but never noticed, because I group all those military/vet clans together. They're almost universally terrible at this game, embarrassingly, although these guys are just unimpressively slightly above average. I hope you dipped into some of the American Sniper/Michael Moore lines we've been throwing around this thread! (e.g. "If you think about it, suicide bombers are more brave" etc.)

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

JuffoWup posted:

Free-xp. I'm not joking. You described everything wrong with the tank. Now realize that there isn't any room for an upside as all those features are in the other column.

Are the next two any good? I'm going up the line anyway because it's a t10 I don't have unlocked but this Challenger is giving me headaches with how inept it seems to be at everything.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlmightyPants posted:

Are the next two any good? I'm going up the line anyway because it's a t10 I don't have unlocked but this Challenger is giving me headaches with how inept it seems to be at everything.

I really, really like the Charioteer. It is basically a Cromwell with L7 at tier 8.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm grinding the M44 and I might just give up. The Soviet line all the way through the Obj 261 was so much more fun. Then again, I played through the Soviets before the arty nerfs that came out a while back... version 7.x or something? I don't remember, but I remember shell travel speed was slowed down significantly.

I can't hit poo poo with the M44 and even when I do, the damage isn't that great. Maybe 250 average on a heavy. The leFH is waaaaay better.

FWIW I am on the M40/43 and I would say that the M44 was the worst American arty so far for me.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Mesadoram posted:

With that being said, arty is kinda important to the game.

How?

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011
I don't know what was in the water yesterday, but it was one of those days that makes up for an entire month of lovely games:

20 for 24 on matches, all tier 7-9, WN8 3073, unlocked the FV4202 and the AMX 1390. I expect dark times in the coming days to restore balance to the force.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

It prevents camping :v:

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Salean posted:

It prevents camping :v:

For all the hate that arty gets, would the game truly be an unfun campfest without it? That is, would there need to be some kind of counter (not necessarily arty as we know it)?

rockopete fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 19, 2015

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

rockopete posted:

For all the hate that arty gets, would the game truly be an unfun campfest without it? That is, would there need to be some kind of counter (not necessarily arty as we know it)?

They could put a bomb in each tank connected to the speedometer like the movie Speed.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

rockopete posted:

IME arty leads to more camping, not less, because people don't want to leave hard cover. No arty also opens up more flanking routes (on the maps that allow flanking). If you removed arty, all that enables camping is lovely lane-based map design.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The idea is that you need to keep moving and changing position, even turning around and trying a different approach at times, and when fuckers remember to do this they come off as psychic to the poor clicker trying to earn his silver.

Many pubbies do not do this.

i think there's some poo poo about being seen being dangerous by itself in there, too.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Unironically it does break turtles in CW. Pub matches I could really not give two shits because those are really not too important, but in CW arty is a game changer.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

Unironically it does break turtles in CW. Pub matches I could really not give two shits because those are really not too important, but in CW arty is a game changer.

I actually kinda figured that that's what you had in mind. For the majority of players randoms is where it's at though.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I have never noticed that arty-free random games have a tendency to be campfests. Not more than what is usual, anyway. Arty-free battles tend to progress like any other battle, except that players are more free to use shallow defilade that would otherwise be open to artillery fire. I agree that arty is mostly important from a CW perspective and that it really wouldn't damage the game if it vanished from random battles.

But you have to have arty in random battles to have it in CW. How else are you going to grind up to CW-viable arty? :downs:

I enjoy playing arty probably as much is possible, but it's still really frustrating and mostly unfun outside of the few SPGs that are really good. The leFH is pretty much the best and is almost always fun to play. RIP old SU-26--undeniably the greatest version of SPG in this game.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 19, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Valle posted:

I actually kinda figured that that's what you had in mind. For the majority of players randoms is where it's at though.

And for that I do feel like arty can be unfun.

In CW it is all about control and teamwork, arty is a fantastic support. Caller calls out something to die, and you make it so.

For pub matches arty have one of two mind set: Easy kill, juiciest target. When I play arty in pub matches I tend to go for the meaty targets because I am a selfish oval office that likes to inflate his damage per game. With that being said, being on the receiving end of consistent arty fire does not make for a fun experience. It takes a large amount of control away from you and it feels unfair. Unless the arty misses, then it feels like you just cheated death.

Uranium 235 posted:

I have never noticed that arty-free random games have a tendency to be campfests. Not more than what is usual, anyway. Arty-free battles tend to progress like any other battle, except that players are more free to use shallow defilade that would otherwise be open to artillery fire. I agree that arty is mostly important from a CW perspective and that it really wouldn't damage the game if it vanished from random battles.

But you have to have arty in random battles to have it in CW. How else are you going to grind up to CW-viable arty? :downs:

I enjoy playing arty probably as much is possible, but it's still really frustrating and mostly unfun outside of the few SPGs that are really good. The leFH is pretty much the best and is almost always fun to play. RIP old SU-26--undeniably the greatest version of SPG in this game.

I find that arty in pub matches does not change camping frequency much. It just makes the pubbies camp slightly differently to not get a sky helpers help on their face.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Half the playerbase don't even notice when there's not any arty in the match. They play exactly the same and still complain about "loving arty" if they take direct fire from an unexpected direction.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Hey tournament PANSIES, looks like we have a tiebreaker tonight. Don't ask me how. I'm just thankful I can get more tournament use out of the Tiger I retrained crew for last night. Shame we can't have spectators, I'll miss Hellsau's gentle encouragements to stop loving peeking and poking and oh my god there are three of you and one of him just press W and shoot tanks.

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Am I reading correctly that we have playoffs tonight?

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/422555-skirmish-7-standings/

The lengths you have to go to if you want to find this information are just silly.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

I find that arty in pub matches does not change camping frequency much. It just makes the pubbies camp slightly differently to not get a sky helpers help on their face.

Prav posted:

Half the playerbase don't even notice when there's not any arty in the match. They play exactly the same and still complain about "loving arty" if they take direct fire from an unexpected direction.

Hey, remember back when there was 5+ arty per side in high tier matches, and whoever got lit first died first? Then they put in a cap of 5 or whatever the gently caress, and then they nerfed arty into the ground, and a lot of people stopped playing arty. Hell, for a time there it was almost normal to not have arty in battle, and if you did have it there'd be 1, maybe 2 at most. And gradually people started ignoring it because it hit a lot less and there was an awful lot less of it. Then came the can-never-be-cursed-enough Battle Assistant mod, and people started playing arty again, and then came the loving missions with arty-specific missions all over the board. So now there's a lot of arty again.

Someone said something about the S-51 never hitting anything even before the nerf, and yeah. I remember a game on Karelia, where an enemy E-100 was sitting about halfway hidden behind a huge rock, with the rear end half poking out. Took me 5 loving shots to hit him, with him never moving an inch. So basically arty has always been annoying, both to play and play against. And the few arty that are considered "fun", are generally so solely because they're OP. :(

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Do unused commendations from one personal mission carry over to the next?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Animal posted:

Do unused commendations from one personal mission carry over to the next?

Nope.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hellsau posted:

Report for physical threats, hope for the permaban. He's in a clan so you'd even be able to tell whether he gets banned or not.

If you had your way, you'd have most players banned and there would be like 20 people left playing this game ;)

keep those dude playing. Allows for more trolling and pubbie tears.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Is there some hidden soft stat that makes the STB-1's gun throw off shots? On paper it should be better than the M46, but I can land way more accurate shots with that tank.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
This was from a few days ago, but never got around to sharing it:

I tried, I so really tried. Just watch. Also, this is why I love the bat 155 58. I don't get caught out like that 53/55 did.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dalael posted:

If you had your way, you'd have most players banned and there would be like 20 people left playing this game ;)

A man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Never mind, no tiebreaker for the RL Valkyries. Bravo playoffs tomorrow though.