Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Artificer posted:

Godspeed. If you need a guy to fly with and I'm online, add me. I'm Peacelock ingame. :) I won't pretend to be amazing but at least I'll climb ahah.

If I ever install mumble you'll be the first person I harass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I accidentally clicked SB instead of RB in the event in my IL2M. I got 76000 Lions. I could barely keep my plane in the air and somehow I killed a bunch of tanks and a FW190. I had never killed a plane in SB before.

What would be a good joystick? I want more.

SkySteak posted:

The Logitech 3D Pro Extreme is an excellent general joystick.

I've had mine for years and only spent maybe $50 on it? It's one of the best sticks until you start getting into the "I want to have a 1:1 custom built A-10 cockpit in my garage to play DCS" range of joysticks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

JacksLibido posted:

The p47 is like a big, slow climbing (and not that great) 190

The P-47 owns and you are a silly goose.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Blistex posted:

So I decided that I need some goon comrades and was wondering which Squad I should hook up with for Tanking (I'm tier IV if that matters).

When you get in the game go to the chat tab and type "/join goons"

Should put you in the Chat Channel with us. Then get on Mumble and also find people playing and yell you want a game.

I'm really loving Realistic Battles for tanks. The enemy not all being super accurate allows you to actually move about without immediately getting sniped through a weak point. Any tips for range finding? I've mostly just been using the minimap and looking up the grid size online, which works reasonably well.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Just keep doing the mini-map thing, and try to remember how the tanks looked and what size they were that you engaged at that range. After a while you'll get just as good of an estimate by just spotting certain tank types and seeing which size they are, with no need to cross reference the mini-map anymore. This takes a while, but than I'm probably just a slow learner so you might get used to that in a day for all I know. Once you got that mastered you're ready to land your first shot on target (or very close with only need for minute adjustments) in ASB/ARB where the minimap will be no help. Or just like, shoot tanks well in any other mode too.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
One-shotting a tank with your first shot from 1.5km away is the best feeling.

The KrautV-1 talk some pages back convinced me to get one and oh man is that thing great. Probably the first tank I've used where it actually feels like you've got a good amount of protection.

e: Of course as soon as I say that I get matched against nothing but 76mm Jumbos.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 19, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Shine posted:

The P-47 owns and you are a silly goose.

Everything the P-47 does, a 190 does better.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Ground-attack. :colbert:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

FaustianQ posted:

Except look and be cool.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Shine posted:

Except look and be cool.

And win wars :smug:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
For real though, I'm pretty sure the P-47 is faster in a dive which is a big deal for those stiff rear end flight models.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Flying by the seat of my pants.

image credit: Steak

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

The KrautV-1 talk some pages back convinced me to get one and oh man is that thing great. Probably the first tank I've used where it actually feels like you've got a good amount of protection.

Have you played the low end T-34s?

The 1940 model is perhaps the best at this with it's low BR of 2.7, where just about everything at that level will struggle to penetrate you in my experience. I've had matches with like 4 tanks all wailing on me at the same time for no effect. The '41/'42 at 3.3BR is not quite so well placed but can often pull off the same kind of stunts as long as you are angling your enemies towards your 11 and 1. Personally speaking my "fun time" lineup is the T-34 '40, '41, Gds. '41 and '42, as this seems to put me at an optimal point where everything I face can be fired on effectively yet will struggle with my armor in return. Plus at low levels the pubbies are dumber than usual.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Also if you feel like the German KV-1 has good protection, try the first KV-1 on the Russian tree. It's extremely heavily armoured for its tier and excepting specific tanks with APCR rounds can tank pretty much anything as long as it's angled correctly.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Germans have neither the KV-1 or the Tiger in the no markers event. Open the bloodgates.:unsmigghh:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Well neither do the allies get any 76mm M4s, it's exclusivly low-tier, the Lee/Grant, ZiS-30 and M8A1 beeing probably the best armed tanks on the allied side.

And the germans seem to have tanks capable ot taking them all out easily... of course they're driving easily destroyed death-traps themselves. Should be fun.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Wait just a minute.. You are telling me that I can take my murderous little monster M8A1 into the event with no markers?

This work day can't end soon enough. :getin:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

BBJoey posted:

Also if you feel like the German KV-1 has good protection, try the first KV-1 on the Russian tree. It's extremely heavily armoured for its tier and excepting specific tanks with APCR rounds can tank pretty much anything as long as it's angled correctly.

The KV-1 chassis is some kind of bullshit. I've shot those things at flat angles, with shells that should have had more than enough power to cut straight through them, only to bounce over and over again.

It's a great tank to play, and it's a good tank to avoid unless you get the drop on it. Even then, it might just kill you anyways. There's nothing like that feeling of dread after you pop a KV-2, and fail to kill it.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The KV-series tanks make an excellent bomb target, or hell even the Yak-9T can set the engine on fire with an rear end that wide. :yosbutt:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BadOptics posted:

Germans have neither the KV-1 or the Tiger in the no markers event. Open the bloodgates.:unsmigghh:

I would loving hope not given most everything available is Tier 1.

Good time to break out the BT-5, IMO.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Using the German flak-track is pretty fun in the event. Turns out a 37mm autocannon is quite effective against light tanks.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

SpaceBanditos posted:

Wait just a minute.. You are telling me that I can take my murderous little monster M8A1 into the event with no markers?

This work day can't end soon enough. :getin:

The m8A1 stomps in this event. You just zip around from cap to cap like an M22, and as soon as you see something grey you punch into it with your gun and pretty much one shot any German tank you see.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Gonna be pissed if the only tank event we get this week is that low tier stuff. I want to break out my ISs and Tiger IIs and stuff. :(

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Something similar happening to me. I made the gif to prove to my squadmate that it was his fault. Crashed on landing after my engine died.

A+ I would shoot you again.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Gonna be pissed if the only tank event we get this week is that low tier stuff. I want to break out my ISs and Tiger IIs and stuff. :(

I agree, I would love to Easy 8 and Pershing.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

FaustianQ posted:

Our very own TopHatsMonthly in a PhlyDaily vid :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmgKNStpp48

:getin: dudes

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

My Pz II Ausf.H is great at popping every ally I come across while keeping a low profile and beeing super speedy, my M8A1 is even better at popping every german I can find, but a bit slower and quiet a bit easier to spot. Anyway, I'm happy with the new tank selection in ARB/ASB.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If the B-29 is legit going to be BR 6.3 it will be such a pain in the rear end. Late-war superweapon bombers that were almost untouched by enemy fighters due to flying so fast and high. Being destroyed on the ground or having a mechanical failure or human-error flight accident were more dangerous than flak or aircraft.

Then they were used extensively in Korea, but were strictly kept out of MiG-15 areas of operation after taking heavy losses and were restricted to night flights in those areas, since MiG-15s don't make good nightfighters. It will be rather difficult to put the B-29 into WT in a way that isn't just dumb. I guess it will help a little bit that they won't show up to the fight already at 25,000+ feet the way they would have IRL. And WT doesn't model one of the main reasons B-29s ever flew low: the jet stream was loving up their targeting, so they flew these insane night missions at 5,000 feet with minimal manning so they could firebomb the gently caress out of targets. This plane will probably get weird.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
They shouldn't add it. Like the Maus, it's one of those things that you just can't balance. Put it up too high, and it will get poo poo on by more modern equipment. Put it too low, and it's just too drat good. There is no good 'middle ground' at that level.

The B-29 is going to be really loving funny in Arcade. You thought Yers and B-17s were bad? You're going to see droves of dive-bombing B-29s plunging straight at enemy airfields. :allears:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Meh. Stick it at the top BR and call it a day.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I feel like the Maus on Sim/Kursk is going to be a matter of putting it on cruise control and alt tabbing for 15-20 minutes as it slowly trundles to the battle. Even more so with mud mechanics.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Make it cost Free RP with each spawn. Or give it a very low reward/research multiplier.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If War Thunder were a game where bombing involved more than setting your poo poo to cruise control and pressing space when your giant crosshair painted on the earth passes over the football-stadium sized target I would give a poo poo. But I don't so relegate 'strategic' bombers to gimmicks and ignore the crybabies who want them to be better :tipshat:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Loosely Quoth the War Thunder forum: WHY IS THIS B29 THE EARLY VERSION WITH ONLY TWO .50CAL IN THE TAILTURRET THIS IS A GIMPED PLANE AND WILL SUCK

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SkySteak posted:

I feel like the Maus on Sim/Kursk is going to be a matter of putting it on cruise control and alt tabbing for 15-20 minutes as it slowly trundles to the battle. Even more so with mud mechanics.

Every time I picture playing the Maus, I imagine how crappy some of the maps are. You know how when you hit a weird bit of terrain and your tank jerks to a halt? It's annoying in a Sherman. It's going to be torturous in a Maus.

Good luck navigating all those stupid loving craters on White Rock Castle. You hit one the wrong way, and you are absolutely screwed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrLonghair posted:

Loosely Quoth the War Thunder forum: WHY IS THIS B29 THE EARLY VERSION WITH ONLY TWO .50CAL IN THE TAILTURRET THIS IS A GIMPED PLANE AND WILL SUCK
And thy pubbie spake, saying: THE B-29 DAMAGE MODEL IS SO GIMPED WHY ARE YOU BOTHERING TO PUT IT IN THE GAME GAIJIN?!?

Ludicro posted:

MORE GIFS

:neckbeard:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, I haven't played this in quite a while. Last I played, all the typhoons would overheat in less than a minute at WEP, and you would ride about 80-90% heat even at like 60% throttle, did that get fixed?

It was my favorite plane by far, but being unable to climb because you overheat too fast, and being incapable of dogfighting for longer than a minute made it pretty bad against the 109 hordes.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The Gate posted:

So, I haven't played this in quite a while. Last I played, all the typhoons would overheat in less than a minute at WEP, and you would ride about 80-90% heat even at like 60% throttle, did that get fixed?

It was my favorite plane by far, but being unable to climb because you overheat too fast, and being incapable of dogfighting for longer than a minute made it pretty bad against the 109 hordes.

The Late B Typhoon doesn't overheat because it doesn't have WEP :haw:

It doesn't need it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah the 1B/Late or whatever Typhoon is fantastic right now. Even I do really well sideclimbing to the point of being above everyone and just dunk on anything and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The Current ACRB event allows you to bring the TB3! (And other inferior bombers). Go fly it and get shot down by tanks!

• Locked thread