Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

rizzen posted:

I assume it'll be like helping the regular crew find a way to deal with it, or to help revamp their system or something.

I think it'll be have the place generate the most profit with the caveat being that it would include selling the restaurant to another company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Something I'm not understanding is why these people are rushing to eat at a sit down restaurant at the very last moment before their train comes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Because for some reason there is no other food vendor in the area.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That colour page. :allears:

Also I guess what they're going for here is that if they're just doing their jobs, even to an extremely professional degree, they're not going to make a single noticeable accomplishment because once they leave ,the store will still be in the exact same shape it was in before.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

Something I'm not understanding is why these people are rushing to eat at a sit down restaurant at the very last moment before their train comes.

The way I read it is that it's like an exchange station, transferring people from one train to another, so people getting off of one train have a hard time limit to wait until a train on a different line comes along. Which is a little more understandable, I've done the same while waiting for the bus.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think it'll be have the place generate the most profit with the caveat being that it would include selling the restaurant to another company.

I don't think that shows off enough of what Hishoko and Soma both have to offer, especially in a complementary fashion.

Soma can use his restaurant experience to improve the kitchen, Hishoko can improve the hell out of their communication and their end to end process, and everyone can come out feeling better about their ability to work in a real environment. Hishoko will get the hands-on experience she needs to realize that sucking at something is the first step at being kinda good at it, and Soma can do his Shonen Protagonist thing and learn how to adapt her methods to his own work.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

boxcarhobo posted:

I'm thinking reworking the menu to accommodate the new crowd; dishes they can whip out quickly and possibly even prep beforehand

I'm getting vibes of Oishii Kankei now...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like the fact that we're getting to see somebody who doesn't have any kitchen experience just dropped into the middle of one. Like, most of the other characters at least have some restaurant experience, so it's cool to see somebody who's supposed to be a chef being taken out of their comfort zone by putting them in a non-classroom/competition focused kitchen setting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just like that Secretary Girl is mature enough to not throw a fit over Soma bossing her around when she's clearly out of her depth.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I thought that the only characters with actual restaurant experience are Soma, the Aldini Bros and Ryo.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I like the fact that we're getting to see somebody who doesn't have any kitchen experience just dropped into the middle of one. Like, most of the other characters at least have some restaurant experience, so it's cool to see somebody who's supposed to be a chef being taken out of their comfort zone by putting them in a non-classroom/competition focused kitchen setting.

And that otherwise its not a restaurant where the people waiting can just figure 'well, its a restaurant, of course it'll take 45 minutes before we eat'. Heck, its why even big restaurants will try to have as limited a menu on big holidays or events where they're hosting several dozen people at once - because they just don't have the luxury of time.

harley
Sep 2, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

I just like that Secretary Girl is mature enough to not throw a fit over Soma bossing her around when she's clearly out of her depth.

She did throw a fit. Several times. Hopefully she doesn't end up falling for Souma. The writer ruined Nikumi by doing that.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

harley posted:

She did throw a fit. Several times. Hopefully she doesn't end up falling for Souma. The writer ruined Nikumi by doing that.

Give her at least the credit of swallowing it down when everything went into True Hell.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

harley posted:

She did throw a fit. Several times.

But none when she was actually working.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

harley posted:

There wasn't much to ruin to begin with and Nikumi still improved as a cook later instead of being the Meat Queen. Dumb crush on Souma aside, at least she's made friends with the girls at the Polar Star Dorm now, I think that's cool.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

harley posted:

I don't think that's very likely now that I look at it. There will be some tsundere moments for certain, but I don't think she's going to actively join his friend group the way Nikumi did. I think she'll gain a grudging respect for him and learn something from him. Its not Soma's character-development arc, its Hishoko's.

The thing with Nikumi is that she's not only full-in on his harem, she's probably had the most involvement in the plot of every character in the series other than Soma and Tadokoro. Erina's probably a more important character, but she's certainly done less.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm glad Megumi got paired up with Erina. Hopefully that'll lead to better development for Erina. Even though the teachers praised her, can't help but think that Erina is probably making a mistake, but that's mostly because I just want her to not be perfect for once.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If the chapter was anything it was an affirmation that Erina is kind of a lame character that no development can make me like.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Allarion posted:

I'm glad Megumi got paired up with Erina. Hopefully that'll lead to better development for Erina. Even though the teachers praised her, can't help but think that Erina is probably making a mistake, but that's mostly because I just want her to not be perfect for once.

Her being so completely unambiguously perfect when we know that she definitely has the "doesn't cook for a loved one" flaw is starting to get annoying. Her superpower is supposed to be the "god's tongue" meaning she can literally taste every single aspect of a dish but I don't see how that translates to her having the years of experience and skills necessary to reproduce said high level flavor.

All we've seen of her is her sitting around lording over the people below her and enacting her petty revenge attempts against Souma rather then constantly cooking. She had one cooking challenge (which doesn't make sense why would anyone challenge the no. 1 seat?) that she effortlessly won against some scrub and that was it. She threw a temper tantrum when Souma surprised her and has been tasking people to try and kick him out ever since because he had the audacity to push her limits.

Plus, as a student on a work experience venture her telling the owner/chef to gently caress off when he tells her to wash dishes should've resulted in him just going "Okay, then leave and I'll just tell your school that I dismissed you. Other girl, get started and we'll work up to you as a trainee chef by the end of the week" but since she's literally perfect the manga has to show her humiliating everyone who opposes her and cruelly mocking their inferior attempts to cook.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Erina is the #10 seat :eng101:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope current dishwasher Megumi teams up with the head chef to try and one up Erina and succeed.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

Her being so completely unambiguously perfect when we know that she definitely has the "doesn't cook for a loved one" flaw is starting to get annoying.
I'm going to be that she does, and that her person is Souma's dad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I can't think of a faster way to make me dislike someone than to have them refuse to wash dishes as a new intern.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
lmao has the writer even worked in a restaurant before

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

pentyne posted:

Her being so completely unambiguously perfect when we know that she definitely has the "doesn't cook for a loved one" flaw is starting to get annoying. Her superpower is supposed to be the "god's tongue" meaning she can literally taste every single aspect of a dish but I don't see how that translates to her having the years of experience and skills necessary to reproduce said high level flavor.

All we've seen of her is her sitting around lording over the people below her and enacting her petty revenge attempts against Souma rather then constantly cooking. She had one cooking challenge (which doesn't make sense why would anyone challenge the no. 1 seat?) that she effortlessly won against some scrub and that was it. She threw a temper tantrum when Souma surprised her and has been tasking people to try and kick him out ever since because he had the audacity to push her limits.

Plus, as a student on a work experience venture her telling the owner/chef to gently caress off when he tells her to wash dishes should've resulted in him just going "Okay, then leave and I'll just tell your school that I dismissed you. Other girl, get started and we'll work up to you as a trainee chef by the end of the week" but since she's literally perfect the manga has to show her humiliating everyone who opposes her and cruelly mocking their inferior attempts to cook.

There was also that summer training camp she sailed through, but yeah.

I have to imagine that if her parents were literally anyone else she'd have been fired on the spot. Which just makes her even more unlikeable.

I sure hope the author doesn't want us to like her!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I want to summon the spirit of Anthony Bourdain to slap the poo poo out of Erina right now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

If that was Gordon Ramsey running that restaurant that would be her as soon as she declined to wash the dishes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
What I'm hoping is that Erina is making a mistake in thinking just her taking command will improve the restaurant, since the moment she leaves, all her impact just disappears. Course, there's also Megumi to account for so it'll probably develop differently, and Soma's probably already trying to figure out that problem.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My knowledge of Shonen and of fiction in general suggests that Erina's arrogance and assholery will cause her to gently caress up despite having legitimately more skill than everyone else and she will be saved by her partner who everybody had been ignoring up to that point. Then again, the fact that random Tootsuki employees are praising her for figuring out the secret of Stagiare week means that this could just be more buildup of her skill and knowledge since she has basically been set up as the final boss of the 1st years, which would be incredibly lame.

But even despite all that I think pairing Megumi and Erina up is a good idea since Megumi should continue to get focus and Erina needs more characterisation. Also Megumi will hopefully be able to make up for Erina being bad and boring.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Eej posted:

lmao has the writer even worked in a restaurant before

wait are you saying i won't spontaneously become a magical girl if i eat good food

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

dordreff posted:

wait are you saying i won't spontaneously become a magical girl if i eat good food

:confused: i thought this was a cooking manga

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just read the latest chapter, and I'm seriously mad at the head chef there for having zero balls. If I were in his place I would have said "Listen missy, you might be the second coming of Marie-Antoine Careme for all I care, for this week I'm you boss and when I say do the dishes you do the dishes, or you can kindly gently caress off right back to that fancy school of yours and tell them I failed you."

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Mikl posted:

Just read the latest chapter, and I'm seriously mad at the head chef there for having zero balls. If I were in his place I would have said "Listen missy, you might be the second coming of Marie-Antoine Careme for all I care, for this week I'm you boss and when I say do the dishes you do the dishes, or you can kindly gently caress off right back to that fancy school of yours and tell them I failed you."

It could have been better thats for sure. Or at least have the chef admit he would do that if Erina wasn't the daughter of the Food Demon and doing it would mean he will never ever find another place to cook since he will be demolished. Although that would ruin Gramps entire characterization. It would have been much better if failure didn't mean one would get expelled so Erina could have lost her status as an Elite Ten member or gotten some other sanction so the thing you suggested (and what would rightfully happen in any real restaurant) could happen leading to more characterization for her.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mikl posted:

Literally everyone except Souma has to bend over backwards to prove how perfect she is and reinforce her terrible attitude so that Souma can ~cook for her~ and melt her cold heart and prove something something friendship teamwork. I really like this manga but there's no way this isn't gonna end with a Souma/Erina relationship in the most cliched, shonen manga way possible and I'd be very surprised if anyone besides Souma gets the better of her in any way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't know, it's been a plot point for a while that she's actually really lonely and misses haer only friend but is too stuck in her own persona to change. She's gonna need a schock to the system to start growing as a person, and the signs that it's coming are plenty.

The pacing of the manga is just slow because the author wants to milk it as long as possible to pay his bills.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

Literally everyone except Souma has to bend over backwards to prove how perfect she is and reinforce her terrible attitude so that Souma can ~cook for her~ and melt her cold heart and prove something something friendship teamwork. I really like this manga but there's no way this isn't gonna end with a Souma/Erina relationship in the most cliched, shonen manga way possible and I'd be very surprised if anyone besides Souma gets the better of her in any way.

I've got vague ideas that Alice will probably battle her later and force a draw or something. Or at least get one of the judges to like her dish more, since she also wants to beat Erina and has ambition and has lost before but kept moving forward. Which is 2/3 of the shonen things needed to be the best cook ever, and Erina has none of them which seems like it could be relevant in the future.

Or she could still just be the most generic and boring part of the manga. It won't be the first time i've really enjoyed a Shonen series only for the main romance to kind of sour it for me. Though i'm liking this more than I liked Bakuman.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Bakuman was seriously lacking in 100% mansteak, I'll give you that.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Mikl posted:

Just read the latest chapter, and I'm seriously mad at the head chef there for having zero balls.

I'm hoping that when she gets back to school she has failed. There are lots of ways to pull it off:

1) You are supposed to meld with the chef's ideas, not replace his.

2) You have short-circuited a chef who was growing well.

3) You have a lovely attitude, and he failed you privately so as not to embarrass everybody involved.

4) Megumi cooks something and everybody likes it better even though it is technically inferior.

Who am I kidding, this manga is going to run the cliches. Sigh.

I miss The World God Only Knows. He knew how to upend the cliches.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's totally okay the chef dude just randomly tossed them to dishwashing. I mean this is the super-elite school to create the world-class chefs of tomorrow, they're not gonna become line cooks upon graduating.

Sure, a test of their capabilities would be fair and correct, but treating them as just some random rear end in a top hat out of pride (because it's pretty obvious that was the case) is just dumb. It's barely short of saying "gently caress you and your students" to the school itself.

Erina was still a bitch tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Because if you're gonna settle yourself into a kitchen as a newbie chef who probably has never actually worked in a real world restaurant before why wouldn't you start at dishwashing which is the most menial task but also one that everyone should pitch in to do?