Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

We recently got a new "HR platform" that they tried to sell us on as "like Facebook, but for work!". Mostly a thing for HR, Sales, and Marketing as this has been met with nothing but derision from Support, Ops, and Dev. In a fit of misplaced whimsy, I made my bio pic Mr. Butlertron from Clone High. Got an email this morning from HR that was very polite, but indicated that they were not amused. I was asked to replace it with a "professional head shot", but notably they failed to mention that it needed to be of me. I'm thinking I'll be Ruth Bader Ginsburg next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dimestore Merlin posted:

We recently got a new "HR platform" that they tried to sell us on as "like Facebook, but for work!". Mostly a thing for HR, Sales, and Marketing as this has been met with nothing but derision from Support, Ops, and Dev. In a fit of misplaced whimsy, I made my bio pic Mr. Butlertron from Clone High. Got an email this morning from HR that was very polite, but indicated that they were not amused. I was asked to replace it with a "professional head shot", but notably they failed to mention that it needed to be of me. I'm thinking I'll be Ruth Bader Ginsburg next.

I have my own photo on my intranet profile, but the bio section is the lyrics for the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme. Been like that for going on two years now and no one has noticed.

At a previous job one of my co-workers had this picture on their profile - I think HR eventually did get them to change it but it took them a while to notice.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Would the icon for the product happen to look like butt/cloud? We've recently started using a similar product and my image there is serious and me irl. However, my image on webex is definitely Boo in rainbow socks.

I asked my boss if we could move my 1:1 out of the open office this week. I'm going to have a talk about expectations and managing them and how I can make this job a little less hell. I'm working too much and it's making me go something something. Any good tips on how to nicely word this? I'm trying to come up with a nice way to "if I hit 40 hours on Thursday and nothing is literally on fire, I should not be working a nine hour day Friday"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
In another fit of IT whimsy, I made my work phone's message tone the event noise from Crusader Kings 2. The one that plays when a comet comes by or your son molests a duckpond or something.

You are awoken at 3am by a page about the single sign on VDIs.

Oh no! -1 Diplomacy for 24 hours.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

peeNamaste posted:

This is going to be totally nonsensical because I'm too mad to actually form sentences properly. Just need to vent. Move along.
Go talk to her manager about her passing her workload onto you.

Dimestore Merlin posted:

I was asked to replace it with a "professional head shot", but notably they failed to mention that it needed to be of me. I'm thinking I'll be Ruth Bader Ginsburg next.
They're providing an opening here for a creative interpretation of "professional headshot".

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 18, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

dissss posted:

I have my own photo on my intranet profile, but the bio section is the lyrics for the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme. Been like that for going on two years now and no one has noticed.

At a previous job one of my co-workers had this picture on their profile - I think HR eventually did get them to change it but it took them a while to notice.

My email sig listed my job title as "Computation Demonologist" for four years before HR finally noticed. New task: Change job title to "Computational Demonologist".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

My email sig listed my job title as "Computation Demonologist" for four years before HR finally noticed. New task: Change job title to "Computational Demonologist".
Is your name Bob Howard?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Dimestore Merlin posted:

A student got away with a picture of Justin Bieber on his student-ID for four years. Usually people check for this sort of thing as people pose with chicken masks, horse masks, Guy Fawkes masks and Balaclavas, this one slipped through because no one knew Justin Bieber at the department.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 18, 2015

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

They're providing an opening here for a creative interpretation of "professional headshot".

Clearly needs to be a well done screen cap from the latest Counter Strike tournament.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

IndustrialApe posted:

A student got away with a picture of Justin Bieber on his student-ID for four years. Usually people check for this sort of thing as people pose with chicken masks, horse masks, Guy Fawkes masks and Balaclavas, this one slipped through because no one knew Justin Bieber at the department.

I bear a strong enough resemblance to Val Kilmer (skinny A-list Val, not sad fat C-list Val) that his Beach Volleyball headshot from Top Gun has been my go to for mandatory profile pictures.

Edit: Welp, that was fast.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 18, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Is your name Bob Howard?

Would that it were. Charlie dared me one night in the pub.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I've changed my title to "Señor Software Engineer" in a few places, but I can't imagine anyone in HR caring, so that kind of takes the fun out of it. Business cards, however, now there's an interesting challenge.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dimestore Merlin posted:

My company recently signed up to Yammer. That no one other than the non-technical people use (since we're a tech company, that means accounts, marketing, and sales for the most part). It used to send "your network updates" twice every day. I think the email system finally had enough, since I'm constantly getting notifications every couple days for junk mail queues full of Yammer and do I want to release it? Nope.

Most everyone I know here either has the stock silhouette in Lync/Exchange or some smart-rear end avatar. One of the guys on my team has a image of "NO!" and another one uses the "eyes of disapproval". I think HR gave up some time ago.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

My current employment contract specifically describes me as "Boy Genius". Before that it was "Security Jedi".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Dimestore Merlin posted:

On our equivalent of that it's absolutely a picture of me.

With a full face helmet on.

Driving a kart.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

My current employment contract specifically describes me as "Boy Genius". Before that it was "Security Jedi".

Wile E Coyote, SUPER Genius.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Sure, Miss Student. Just sneeze all over the keyboard in our lab here. No need to cover your face-hole or anything, it's not like anyone else in the computer lab is going to be using that particular station later or anything.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Edward_Tohr posted:

Sure, Miss Student. Just sneeze all over the keyboard in our lab here. No need to cover your face-hole or anything, it's not like anyone else in the computer lab is going to be using that particular station later or anything.

I've been dealing with a sinus infection for two weeks and sneezing feels so good I just want to share it with the world

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well that was a fun meeting. It was half "Nothing's going to change" and half "Give us access to everything and be ready for our guys to migrate your systems". The best part? I'm unofficially being moved under engineering, since you know, IT is covered by the new company. *runs away* If everything works out, I'll be lined up for my new job and still be eligible for my stock payout. This is actually turning out awesome.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got a call from the possible :yotj: in San Diego just a few minutes ago. They want to fly me out for a face to face next week! :woop:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

For a short period in time my profile image was Dave Chapelle serving pancakes dressed as Prince from the cover of "Breakfast can wait"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Obligatory

If you don't set it as this we will think less of you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dimestore Merlin posted:

I was asked to replace it with a "professional head shot", but notably they failed to mention that it needed to be of me. I'm thinking I'll be Ruth Bader Ginsburg next.

Funny. When I saw "professional headshot", the first thing I thought of was to get a screenshot of a CS:S sniper kill.

F4t4l1ty etc

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

Got a call from the possible :yotj: in San Diego just a few minutes ago. They want to fly me out for a face to face next week! :woop:

Usually, the last, fly-in interview is to make sure you mesh with the team more than anything else. They don't waste the cash on that if they feel you're not up to the actual job itself.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Usually, the last, fly-in interview is to make sure you mesh with the team more than anything else. They don't waste the cash on that if they feel you're not up to the actual job itself.

Yeah, I am sure it's just going to be negotiating for salary and benefits, and relocation/sign on bonus. This job is a big conflict for me though because if I do take this job I miss out on a potential job with a company out in Michigan where I would be working along side a CCIE.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, I am sure it's just going to be negotiating for salary and benefits, and relocation/sign on bonus. This job is a big conflict for me though because if I do take this job I miss out on a potential job with a company out in Michigan where I would be working along side a CCIE.

Nothing wrong with asking for a week or two to mull it over. That should give you time to get a more solid lead on the other job.

Although, frankly, a real offer is better than a potential offer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Exactly. So groom yourself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Tomorrow late in the day I interview with the CFO and the Pres/Founder for the place I've been chasing for a few weeks. I hope they quickly decide one way or the other so I can free up my brain and stop waiting to see if this one turns out.

Still working on my Network+ cert and going to the gym. Alot. I'm not going to waste this time, unlike the last time I was unemployed for a significant length ten years ago.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Nothing wrong with asking for a week or two to mull it over. That should give you time to get a more solid lead on the other job.

Although, frankly, a real offer is better than a potential offer.

Yeah that's the thing that gets me.

Cheaper living, more stable company, working alongside a CCIE/CEO, lower cost of living, but is only potential (The company has investors but it won't be official until June)

OR

Higher cost of living, warmer weather, about the same benefits, smaller company (only been around for 5 years) but the job is a guaranteed thing.

The decision is even harder because I have two kids in middle/high school, a dog and a wife.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Whelp, it appears that my company's main public IP address has ended up on CIGNA's blacklist for their websites. I have spent hours today talking with random Cigna assholes to get us off the blacklist and I can't seem to get a hold of a single person who has the power to do so. What pisses me off the most is that everyone so far has told me that Cigna doesn't appear to have an internal ticketing system in which issues like this can even be investigated.

gently caress you Cigna.

namol
Mar 21, 2007
Going back to picture chat, my lync profile picture is a jar of Apple butter since we have a facility next to the smucker's facility.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ookiimarukochan posted:

My business cards used to say "Orbiting Laser Platform"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Scaramouche posted:

My business cards used to say "Orbiting Laser Platform"

This is the best thing ever. Please tell me you have some left and please post one (after editing out relevant details of course).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/19/superfish_lenovo_spyware/

gently caress me. Guys, let's install a generic root certificate on all laptops to inject adware into our users' browsers!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is why step 1 after getting a new computer is flatten and reinstall.

Even if it's not deliberately malicious, pre-installed software is always crap.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
I probably pissed off some rnd people since they will not get new fancy precision laptops. I was bored and managed to breathe life into some dell precision m4500 laptops I had laying around. Now they do not have to buy new ones and the rnd manager loves me.

Mouhaha, I am the poo poo that pisses people off.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Jeoh posted:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/19/superfish_lenovo_spyware/

gently caress me. Guys, let's install a generic root certificate on all laptops to inject adware into our users' browsers!

How is that not a massive lawsuit waiting to happen?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
New windows laptops are baffling. So much of that poo poo. Nowhere to be seen on Apple laptops.

Edit - That I'm aware of.

Swink fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 19, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Swink posted:

New windows laptops are baffling. So much of that poo poo. Nowhere to be seen on Apple laptops.

Edit - That I'm aware of.
No third party apps with Apple, no.

Though iTunes can gently caress right off as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crowley posted:

How is that not a massive lawsuit waiting to happen?

Smallprint buried in the clickthrough license you hit "OK" to when you first boot up the machine, and the standard "what do you mean, other countries have laws that are different to America?" thing that burns so many large software companies.