Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i only put poop on my hot dogs, anyone who uses mustard is a disgusting freak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

im pooping! posted:

i only put poop on my hot dogs, anyone who uses mustard is a disgusting freak

I hope you call it a Poop Dogg

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
loving plebs, the only true toppings for a hotdog are nacho cheese, sardines, and giardiniera

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
All this condiments on sandwiches talk reminds me of a story!

When I was little we used to road trip as a family to see my grandmother, a mighty fifteen-hour journey supplemented by my mom's delicious sandwiches the first day and the rarest treat of all, McDonald's, on the second. Let me tell you about the sandwiches my mom made us. Every Sunday, our mom would roast a huge chicken, turkey, or pot roast (NEVER dry and icky), and we'd eat half for dinner and the other half would be portioned out to make delicious sandwiches, all made with good cheese (gouda was my favorite) on fresh bakery bread. She saved all the spicy mustard packets from the deli and she'd include one in our lunch so the bread wouldn't get soggy, and sometimes they even had homemade pickles or sauerkraut for the beef on them. Being children, we assumed that this was just How Sandwiches Are Made. Even if there was no roast our mother always went to a nice deli and got the best meats available.

When we left Grandma's house to return home, my mother was running late so she outsourced the sandwich making to her mom, our grandmother, a woman who cooked so rarely that the oven was used to store bottles of wine, like Ignatius J. Reilly's mother. But how hard could it be to gently caress up a sandwich? Not hard at all, we discovered when we pulled into the rest stop a few hours later.

The bread was white bread, and was pretty stale. The meat? Cheap cold Wal-Mart bologna. The toppings? Raw onions and margarine. Thick yellow layers of margarine.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I was in London once and they fed us something called "Chef in a Box." We all got a little box. Inside was a wedge of apple (like about 1/10th of a whole apple) and a "sandwich." The sandwich was made out of a dinner roll (one of those whispy, sawdust varieties), a single slice of processed deli ham, and a quarter-inch-thick layer of butter on each half of the roll. Nasty.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

I see the French in the corners there. Get that Canadian poo poo out of here, you tease. :mad:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

pentyne posted:

The Supersizers is great because there's always a food historian to talk about the cuisine and how back then food was less about taste and eating and more a visual display of wealth and power.
And then somebody has to eat it. God I love that show. But then the restaurant critic also hated the Hard Rock Café burger in the 1970s episode so maybe they're exaggerating a bit for comedic effect.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

:downsbravo:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

trickybiscuits posted:

But then the restaurant critic also hated the Hard Rock Café burger

How is this incongruous? :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:hurr: 's

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

im pooping! posted:

I am 99% sure you're wrong and salsa is the best selling condiment in America, in terms of money spent.

*excuse me, best selling in USA.

Salsa is a dip.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
So has anyone ever tried putting ketchup on ketchup chips?

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

CSM posted:

So has anyone ever tried putting ketchup on ketchup chips?

Deathface posted:

A friend of mine dips ketchup chips in ketchup.

Yup.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I say we shut up about how all Americans do something ridiculous (we are not a hive mind) and post gross food again.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This Ortolan talk reminds me of when the TV show did Hannibal did an episode where Hannibal and Will ate it, only since that's technically illegal their food person made fake Ortolan:

It's made of marzipan with peanuts inside to simulate the crunch of bones. :3:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sleeveless posted:

It's made of marzipan with peanuts inside to simulate the crunch of bones. :3:

But how will it make me bleed?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

ErIog posted:

It's also full of carpet tacks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ErIog posted:

That's what Hannibal is there for.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

dijon du jour posted:

It helps to remind Europeans every once in a while that, size-wise, the U.S. is not a "country". It is a is a mega-country made up of countries. It would take longer for me to get to Alabama than it would for a Frenchman to get to Germany, with a similar amount of culture shift.
California is roughly the size of the UK, and anything but homogenous itself.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Take a hot dog, put it on a plain white bun, smother it with coney sauce, and top it with diced onions and yellow mustard.

I could eat a detroit style coney for breakfast, lunch or dinner, drunk off my rear end or stone cold sober.

Now, there is a local pizza place here called Dukes that made it into a pizza. We tried it out of curiosity and I love it just the same.

I am terrible because I make it at home too using Hormel Chili Sauce from a can :cripes:

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?
I used to eat those when I lived in a place without a microwave, to make it even "better" we used the hot dogs that were the kind that had cheese in the center.

e: i butchered that sentence

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Proper cheese sausages (the kind about 3/4" or more thick that are grilled), are loving awesome. I ate them in the 90s a lot, along with a mrs mac beef cheese and bacon meat pie, or chili beef and cheese pie if the most popular BCB pie was sold out.

But hotdogs with boiled meat are dumb no matter what the condiment. They're as dumb as polony/devon/bologna sandwiches with margarine and condiments, and pretty much taste the same :colbert:

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Feb 19, 2015

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

So am I hosed up for liking hot dogs? Isn't that like the all-american food?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
You're allowed to like whatever it is you like, and my opinion means nothing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

im pooping! posted:

So am I hosed up for liking hot dogs? Isn't that like the all-american food?

Only if you cut them up into little pieces and eat them with a fork.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

pentyne posted:

Or make soup with them, like people do here in Korea. It is literally Lindsay Bluth's hot ham water.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I hope you call it a Poop Dogg

Actually. it is a Poop Doggy Dog.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Poop Lion :colbert:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Those are just regional names. Around here we call it a DJ Poopadelic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hot dogs and sausages are actually a pretty decent food. It's made from the leftover pork trimmings so you're eating the trash meat which is a smart idea for min-maxing food production efficiency.

And I freely admit I was completely wrong about ketchup, ranch is definitely the be all end all of US condiments.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've never really gotten the hate for ranch. Is it just that people are used to seeing it slathered thick over food or on salads in big heaping globs? I've had some delicious burgers which had a very light brushing of ranch on them that you couldn't see, but taste it just on the edge of your palate. And some great ranch fries that I really want to try again but can't remember where I had them.

It's great in moderation.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've never really gotten the hate for ranch. Is it just that people are used to seeing it slathered thick over food or on salads in big heaping globs? I've had some delicious burgers which had a very light brushing of ranch on them that you couldn't see, but taste it just on the edge of your palate. And some great ranch fries that I really want to try again but can't remember where I had them.

It's great in moderation.

Don't really hate it but you got it for why I'm annoyed with it. People that love the stuff go overboard often.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's just something that gets depressingly slathered onto anything that's deep-fried. Much in the same way that everything ends up tasting the same when you've coated it in batter and deep-fried it, once you put ranch on too it it all ends up being the same greasy miasma that you know is what people are after who say "Ooh I love zucchini, and broccoli, and onions, and jalapeńos, and chicken wings, and all sorts of things".

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

My Korean grandma hated an American daughter-in-law of hers, because the daughter always kept a thing of ranch dressing in her purse that she'd dump on all the Korean food my grandma made.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Seluin posted:

My Korean grandma hated an American daughter-in-law of hers, because the daughter always kept a thing of ranch dressing in her purse that she'd dump on all the Korean food my grandma made.

That's horrible and I'd be mad too. The flavor's are all over the place.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
How would she feel if it was wasabi and kewpie mayo premixed?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've never really gotten the hate for ranch.

It's like 90% thinly-veiled classism. Ranch is something the poors use a lot so it's bad.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

It's like 90% thinly-veiled classism. Ranch is something the poors use a lot so it's bad.

Tbf, the ubiquitousness of it in bad food is probably why it's so loathed.

Anyway, hope this isn't a repost but all the pics from this article

I like Chipotle and this would turn me off of chipotle forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Seluin posted:

This should be classified as a war crime I'm pretty sure

Like I'm imagining a delicious bibimbap or something and this woman just unleashing a torrent of Hidden Valley onto it and arghhhh triggered

• Locked thread