Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Eldar Warlord #2 spoiled. I guess he's meant to control via command domination? His signature unit is a 3cc for 2 command as well. I feel as if this cycle is trying to push assassination type decks a bit, which were more of a happenstance than a plan using just 3x Core.

I also wish Viorla Warrior Cadre was a 3/3 for 3cc instead, but I suppose that would be a bit TOO good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure the guy who was working on that mobile deck will be super happy to see this.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah more Death from Above fodder too.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The good news:
It looks like the Treason of Saruman and LotR reprints like Steward's Fear etc haven't been delayed by portgate. I need that Steward's Fear expansion.

The bad news:
The Lost Realm Expansion has been delayed

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5370

Cardhaus had Treason as a Feb 28 release and Lost Realm as a March 30 release, so I wonder if this was already reflected in the schedule or if this pushes that back even further.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

GrandpaPants posted:

Eldar Warlord #2 spoiled. I guess he's meant to control via command domination? His signature unit is a 3cc for 2 command as well. I feel as if this cycle is trying to push assassination type decks a bit, which were more of a happenstance than a plan using just 3x Core.

I also wish Viorla Warrior Cadre was a 3/3 for 3cc instead, but I suppose that would be a bit TOO good.

This is good and bad. I like this dude... but he's never going to be as good as Eldorath, honestly. And he's not creating a new strategy like, say, Plaguefather did. It's just a punchier dude with mobility. I wish he was 7 health, because 6 seems to be that magic number where, well, you just get insta-bloodied if you're not careful.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Flavor-wise, what's with the neutral Inquisitor? Isn't that a SM/IG thing?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

A Google search turns up nothing, so I'm guessing he's a new character. Given his flavor text he looks to be a renegade Inquisitor using the Emperor's Wrath to his own ends".

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Inquisitors answer to basically nobody and some are willing to work with the enemies of the Imperium in the hopes that it will aid whatever agenda they have in the system. This usually does not end well for the inquisitor, but so many of them seem to think they'll be the ones to pull it off.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

sirtommygunn posted:

Inquisitors answer to basically nobody and some are willing to work with the enemies of the Imperium in the hopes that it will aid whatever agenda they have in the system. This usually does not end well for the inquisitor, but so many of them seem to think they'll be the ones to pull it off.

That. Inquisitors are basically allowed to pursue their own ends. Most of them end up becoming Chaos tainted... or suspected of being Chaos tainted and disappearing.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The bad news:

Cardhaus had Treason as a Feb 28 release and Lost Realm as a March 30 release, so I wonder if this was already reflected in the schedule or if this pushes that back even further.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ugh. Well, maybe its fine since I still need to finish the last few Hobbit quests.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ugh. Well, maybe its fine since I still need to finish the last few Hobbit quests.

Man, the Hobbit punishes me more than any other group of quests.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Max posted:

Tell me about it haha. I started playing single deck, but now I'm playing two handed.

How many of you guys play on OCTGN for solo stuff? Sometimes it is just annoying to deal with all the cards...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The good news:
It looks like the Treason of Saruman and LotR reprints like Steward's Fear etc haven't been delayed by portgate. I need that Steward's Fear expansion.

The bad news:

I was not expecting either this month, and I still don't think that Treason date is accurate. I'm pretty sure we usually see the Upcoming status change from On the Boat to Shipping over a week before it hits stores, and that's been Thursdays usually. If it changes today then maybe Cardhaus was right but I doubt it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

I was not expecting either this month, and I still don't think that Treason date is accurate. I'm pretty sure we usually see the Upcoming status change from On the Boat to Shipping over a week before it hits stores, and that's been Thursdays usually. If it changes today then maybe Cardhaus was right but I doubt it.

You're probably right, but I'm curious why it's not listed then. I was hoping it was on the Scum and Villainy boat, since those all had the 2/28 date in cardhaus along with Treason, while Lost Realm and the Imperial Raider were 3/30 or whatever. But you're right, I don't see it as having the same status on the FFG boat page.

I don't care too much but I have a preorder with that and some other crap that I want sooner! I guess that's what happens when you roll the dice, I guess I should stick to less luck based worker placement games .. get it .. <farts a smoke bomb and escapes>

edit: woah, they overhauled their reprint page today: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 19, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Max posted:

Finishing the hobbit thematically, ie only the dwarven company for allies and heroes, was really tough and required so so many restarts from a "welp, I'm screwed" situation.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You're probably right, but I'm curious why it's not listed then. I was hoping it was on the Scum and Villainy boat, since those all had the 2/28 date in cardhaus along with Treason, while Lost Realm and the Imperial Raider were 3/30 or whatever. But you're right, I don't see it as having the same status on the FFG boat page.

I don't care too much but I have a preorder with that and some other crap that I want sooner! I guess that's what happens when you roll the dice, I guess I should stick to less luck based worker placement games .. get it .. <farts a smoke bomb and escapes>

edit: woah, they overhauled their reprint page today: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

They overhauled everything and I hate it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Epi Lepi posted:

They overhauled everything and I hate it.

That's so bad, I have to believe they're just testing something live. They cannot stick to a grey background. It looks like some dude's blog about FFG's stuff not an actual website for the company.

The first forum thread in FFG Website Section is titled "New theme - my eyes!". Hilarious.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 19, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So is there any suggestion as to how many shield cards you want to run in your deck for 40k Conquest? Have to imagine one 3, and a few 1s and 2s.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Slandible posted:

So is there any suggestion as to how many shield cards you want to run in your deck for 40k Conquest? Have to imagine one 3, and a few 1s and 2s.

Utterly irrelevant. They are the least important aspect of a card. Think of them as a bonus on cards, but don't sculpt your deck around them, at least right now. Unless your strategy involves only playing dudes and dropping cards to save them (probably not viable, just run good cards and if they have nice shields then it's a bonus.

EDIT - Things like versatility, cost curve, power-to-resource ratio, important abilities (armorbane and mobility), battle trick power (Archon's Terror, Preemptive Barrage), or game swinginess (Doom, Tzeentch's Firestorm) are all WAYYYYY more important than shield value.

sicarius fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 22, 2015

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Slandible posted:

Run all of the 2-shield cards available to your faction.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The theme is atrocious, but the added functionality is great. It's... it's... sort-able.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Slandible posted:

Shields are a great bonus when you're evaluating individual cards, especially situational ones like attachments and events, but they're not good enough to design your deck around.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Slandible posted:

I want at least three two-shield cards in any deck, and try to have 14+ cards with shields on them.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Last week I went pretty much went all in and grabbed all the expansions and another core for Conquest. Made a deck for four factions I liked, and played a bunch of games over the weekend with them. I enjoy the game, but Eldar and Tau just feel way too good, Eldar especially with all of their powers and supports. Are the next round of expansions supposed to help other factions out?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Slandible posted:

Last week I went pretty much went all in and grabbed all the expansions and another core for Conquest. Made a deck for four factions I liked, and played a bunch of games over the weekend with them. I enjoy the game, but Eldar and Tau just feel way too good, Eldar especially with all of their powers and supports. Are the next round of expansions supposed to help other factions out?

I feel that the "best" decks so far are probably Space Marines, Dark Eldar and Eldar. SM has a tendency to dominate combat, but DE and E dominate the resource game and are now getting a decent amount of fat. I like Tau a lot but I don't know if they're actually better than SM. The only factions I would say are weak currently are Chaos and AM, the former because they seem to be big on Elite units but need more ways to protect Elite units (seriously, something that says Elite units can't be routed or cancel an event targeting Elite units would go a long way) and the latter because I have no idea what the hell they do. Seriously I have no idea where to go with an AM deck. Their units are okay but unremarkable, and I think they're supposed to be support focused but don't have that many great supports. I think they also want to be a weenie army, but it seems very eh.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I would say Chaos > AM > Orks for the lower tier factions at the moment.

Normally I shy away from faction tier lists in any game, but Conquest's card pool is so small right now that the meta is not very complicated. Luckily, what's there is very good.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Is there a website or video I can check out that shows a beginner 40k conquest game?
My buddy apparently tried it and did not get the rules.
I'm working something long today and would like some information before I try to get him to play again and me to try it for the first time

Love the theme and look

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is there a website or video I can check out that shows a beginner 40k conquest game?
My buddy apparently tried it and did not get the rules.
I'm working something long today and would like some information before I try to get him to play again and me to try it for the first time

Love the theme and look

One of the best things that FFG does is put out these great tutorial videos that are pretty high class.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Slandible posted:

Overall I would say the current "tier list" is:

Tier 1: Ragnar, Cato, Kith (Cato and Kith are the "standard netdecks" at this point but IMO this is because people are too anchored on the Worlds top sixteen. In particular, I find Ragnar more effective than Cato.)
Tier 1.25: Eldorath, Zarathur
Tier 1.5: Ku'gath, Shadowsun
Tier 2: Aun'shi, Straken, Nazdreg

The tiers are very closely divided because there aren't any really dominant decks in this game. Orks and IG both started out as tier 3 or below pseudo-unplayable factions, but have received a lot of help from recent packs. Previews indicate the IG at least will be getting some more very good stuff in the next pack. In general Fantasy Flight seems to be doing a good job of supporting weaker factions by giving them strong staple cards like IG's Iron Guard Recruits or the upcoming Tallarn Raiders, while giving situational (though by no means useless) cards to the factions that are already performing well. Space Marines started out as kind of unambiguously the best faction in Core, but have received relatively few awesome cards from the new packs.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Huge thank you for this.

Does the game scale well with 3 or 4 players?
Or simply try for only 2 people?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Strictly 2p. Maybe some sort of multiplayer expansion in the future like Star Wars got, but it'd become a bit clusterfucky like Smash Up or Blood Bowl Team Manager.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Awesome thanks
Looking at grabbing base game plus 2 expansions
Maybe scourge(chaos demon) as one or tau
Buddy will pick second pack

Any to avoid starting with?

Tyranid out yet?

Would you honestly choose this game or netrunner? I seem to see more of netrunner players but man this game seems awesome

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Guess I should ask which expansions will give a different play style compared to the starting armies?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The new Tau leader does the most to change how his faction plays. He's much more of a guerrilla fighter/assassin that wants to win the game by killing the opposing warlord.

Only 3 packs are out currently, Space Marine (Howl of Blackmane) Chaos (The Scourge) and the Tau (Gift of the Ethereals) Warlord packs are out, though they all contain cards for each faction. Orks are next (Zogwort's Curse) followed by Astra Militarum (The Threat Beyond) and this cycle ends with a pack that has both Eldar and Dark Eldar warlords (Descendents of Isha). Tyranids and Necrons are not currently in the game and have yet to have their expansion(s) announced.

I prefer Conquest to Netrunner but that may just be because I like the Warhammer theme more and I haven't given Netrunner much of a chance.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Would you honestly choose this game or netrunner? I seem to see more of netrunner players but man this game seems awesome

Conquest for sure. Netrunner has been out longer and has a more established community, but IMO Conquest is more fun, more dynamic, and easier to learn. In fact, I was about as into Netrunner as it gets before Conquest's release, but now that Conquest is out I've switched over almost completely.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Just to confirm combat only occurs on a planet with a boss
And only whatever planet is classified as the first planet can be taken in any given turn right?
IE you both can't take a planet on the same turn because one warlord is on the first and the other is in the third by himself
Only the one of the first planet, if he wins combat and isn't bloodied or killed can

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Just to confirm combat only occurs on a planet with a boss
And only whatever planet is classified as the first planet can be taken in any given turn right?
IE you both can't take a planet on the same turn because one warlord is on the first and the other is in the third by himself
Only the one of the first planet, if he wins combat and isn't bloodied or killed can

Only the first planet will be available to be claimed by someone, yes.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

S.J. posted:

Only the first planet will be available to be claimed by someone, yes.

But whoever has the most hammer icon things on each planet, forgot name late at night sorry, can get the resources or cards each turn they're the highest right?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tiny Chalupa posted:

But whoever has the most hammer icon things on each planet, forgot name late at night sorry, can get the resources or cards each turn they're the highest right?

Whoever has the most command icons among readied units during a command struggle will claim the resources/cards of their respective planet, yes, assuming there either is no warlord present or both warlords are present. Otherwise a Warlord will automatically win the command struggle against regular units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Just to confirm combat only occurs on a planet with a boss.

And the first planet. So there can be up to 3 battles per turn. Unless I am drastically mistaken.