Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

The Warszawa posted:

i think the "default" is actually shifting more towards navel-gazing quasi-autobiographical fiction concerned only with the immediate surroundings and relationships most important to the author and completely unconcerned with society outside that narrow sphere, which imo is "write what you know" taken to its perverse extreme
Well man looks like I gave up litfic at the wrong time because that sounds GREAT. Memoir PLUS Connecticut kitchen malaise, who among us is not intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

pangstrom posted:

Well man looks like I gave up litfic at the wrong time because that sounds GREAT. Memoir PLUS Connecticut kitchen malaise, who among us is not intrigued.

anyone not white and/or vaguely upper middle class

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

nutranurse posted:

anyone not white and/or vaguely upper middle class
also anyone else

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

pangstrom posted:

also anyone else

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

even among upper class whites you're probably going to have to refine down some more to find someone interested in Connecticut kitchen island mayonnaise

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

even among upper class whites you're probably going to have to refine down some more to find someone interested in Connecticut kitchen island mayonnaise

i hang around the worst upper class whites then

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
nah you can generally skate by if you get culture critics on board because enough people will fake interest and buy a copy to conspicuously leave around at dinner parties

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

nah you can generally skate by if you get culture critics on board because enough people will fake interest and buy a copy to conspicuously leave around at dinner parties

tho this is what i suspect is the case most times

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the hot book thats like that right now

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
The Zouxening

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i can't even remember what serious litfic book I've read last was and I am probably all the better spiritually for it

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

zoux posted:

What's the hot book thats like that right now

he's kinda old trendy-wise, but ive actually only met 1 other person who's read murakami and i have at least 5 friends who dont stop singing his praises :shrug:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im gonna continue my gimmick of repping Gentlemen of the Road as Chabon's best book and point out that he pitched it as "jews with swords"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
confession time: i enjoy murder mysteries

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
i don't think murakami fits that mold but i also haven't read murakami

unless the mold is "people say they've read it but haven't" i wasn't clear which thing zoux was referring to

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

why I gotta find that out about Atwood today of all days :smith:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

The Warszawa posted:

Sure, yeah, see A Brief History Of Time. It's not a white phenomenon, it's a starfucker phenomenon. I don't care for Marky Mark in any venue, but that scene in The Departed where Dicaprio's character references Hawthorne or whatever and he says something like, "What's the mattah, you don't know any fuckin' Shakespeare?" is a fantastic encapsulation.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

i don't think murakami fits that mold but i also haven't read murakami

no murakami's great, and of the 2 books of his ive read i actually like them (after forcing myself through them the first times and trying a second time much later), it's just the people who crow about him who kind of suck

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

murakami is straight up genre fic tho

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

is there any other kind of story

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

im gonna continue my gimmick of repping Gentlemen of the Road as Chabon's best book and point out that he pitched it as "jews with swords"

i desperately want some althist fic about the macabees

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also its not really that big a deal to me that atwood doesnt like sci fi.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

zoux posted:

murakami is straight up genre fic tho

at most his work dips into magical realism, but he's far from genre fic as most would define it

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

also its not really that big a deal to me that atwood doesnt like sci fi.

no, it's not that she doesnt like it, i can get why she doesnt label her work as it too from a marketing standpoint, but its that she'll look down on scifi writers when she herself is a goddamned scifi writer

no one likes hypocrites

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

is there any other kind of story

sex mystery

books about trains

seamus heany

to make it clear, i find heany to be a genre by himself. all that irish poetry is....weirdddddd

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm swamped so I haven't been taking part, but there's a mystery novel thread in TBB where we read along and try to guess things as we go,

Also, you lawyer types might like Thus Adonis was Murdered and its sequels, about some London barristers who get to to dryly comedic hijinks.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Murakumi absolutely writes what would be called genre fiction in anyone else's hands, but he doesn't go in the book ghetto because

idc tho because it's really good

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

wait, is litfiction as a definition just being used here as a stand in for what trendy white people name drop for signalling purposes

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

Sure, yeah, see A Brief History Of Time. It's not a white phenomenon, it's a starfucker phenomenon. I don't care for Marky Mark in any venue, but that scene in The Departed where Dicaprio's character references Hawthorne or whatever and he says something like, "What's the mattah, you don't know any fuckin' Shakespeare?" is a fantastic encapsulation.

lol when i first saw this post it read "starbucks phenomenon" (autocorrect i assume) and i was very, very confused

i don't think it's an essentially white phenomenon it just can look like it is in the litfic context because of the demographics of the litfic club/"serious" cultural criticism etc. plus the usual "relatability/universality" poo poo

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

wait, is litfiction as a definition just being used here as a stand in for what trendy white people name drop for signalling purposes

thats actually its real-life definition

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

why the gently caress havent you read the cold song yet?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

Murakumi absolutely writes what would be called genre fiction in anyone else's hands, but he doesn't go in the book ghetto because

idc tho because it's really good

:shrug: i'd argue that magical realism isn't genre, but i can see why people say it is

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

Alien or Aliens?

joeburz posted:

both, two very different movies.

Yeah, they're tonally very different. I would overall say that "Alien" might be a better-directed movie overall, but "Aliens" is more fun to watch.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

nutranurse posted:

:shrug: i'd argue that magical realism isn't genre, but i can see why people say it is

He straight up wrote a book about clones being raised on organ farms, come on son

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
my friend went through a couple classes where if she ever used vivid imagery or metaphor she would be asked by at least one person whether she was doing magical realism. price of writing while latina

junot díaz with an interesting take on the writing pipeline/mfa programs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

He straight up wrote a book about clones being raised on organ farms, come on son

He ripped off Clonus?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

ive never read murakami but I'd lie to white hipster girls that I had to impress them, so if that is what were using litfic to mean I explicitly understand now

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
would bulgakov be magical realism

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I grew up in the rich part of Connecticut. The people there were rich entitled and disconnected assholes with houses that were too big and distressingly hollow lives. Kids with maids and closets full of unopened toys. Massive three-floor estates with only a parent, a kid, and two dogs. Wonderful public libraries funded by the estates of tobacco magnates. Three black children in a middle school of hundreds. Beautiful hiking trails and parks with cliffs and massive waterfalls and rivers surrounded by the homes of children whose parents were never home. They grew up awkward and spiteful, or good people who constantly felt alone and awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

i was talkin bout his other stuff >_>, the two books i actually read 1Q84 and norwegian wood

i totally only read those the first time to impress a girl too, but the second time through them was for fun

• Locked thread