Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

annapacketstormaya posted:

That's the intent, yes. The Flash player isn't as good (doesn't fill the entire browser window for whatever reason) and I've removed Flash from my machines since I hate it and they've been having more and more vulnerabilities.

Firefox should be perfectly capable of handling H.264 video now, but it will only work in Chrome. Maybe they need MSE to work (which are still mostly broken in Firefox) for their implementation?

I just installed Firefox on my Mac and was able to access and view media from the plex.tv web player just fine. Hmm, try restarting your Plex Media Server/make sure it's using the latest version maybe?

[edit] Oh wait, it's using Flash. Opening up the advanced player settings, there's actually no option for the HTML5 experimental player in Firefox.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Sadly, it's the only option if you want 4K content.

I'm good with 1080p.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Plex for Chromecast works basically the same way as Netflix. Your PC is the one doing all the heavy work, not your phone/tablet. Your phone/tablet is basically just a remote control.

Depending on how your father-in-law likes to do things, it *might* be easier to return the chromecast and get a roku since that comes with an actual remote and a lot of "older" people find that easier/more familiar. Either that, or wait until the ps4 app comes off of Plexpass (probably in a month or two).

This is great! It solves all of his problems (and mine by the same occasion). I think he'll manage to use either his phone or his tablet if not, I'll look at the Roku.

Plus, I can switch it back to the PS4 when it gets a proper streaming thing or when the app comes off of Plexpass, as you said.

Thanks!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

My reaction to that news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a really bizarre issue with (as far as I can tell) the plex media server. It was working fine for a few weeks, but recently whenever it's running (streaming content or not) I can't access the internet through any browsers, pages just 404 out. Skype, steam etc all stay connected perfectly fine. Any ideas on why this might be? This only applies to the machine it's on, I can browse fine on a laptop.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Does the roku streaming stick need a power supply the same as a chromecast? I've seen AA batteries listed, but I'm guessing that's purely for the remote?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

MeKeV posted:

Does the roku streaming stick need a power supply the same as a chromecast? I've seen AA batteries listed, but I'm guessing that's purely for the remote?

Yes it does.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

On PHT does anyone know how to get music to default to a Genre or filtered view. My artists page is quite messy and I tend to choose music by genre than anything else.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

This is incorrect. There is no option that involves 4K content, because most 4K content is going to be requiring HDCP 2 (think how bad ultraviolet and bluray DRM was and now remember they want to do that with 4K aka terrible copy protection) and every tv that exists is basically not compatible.

So there is only one option for 4k content: 4k monitors. 4K tv's? gently caress no.

Article from July 2014 that is still accurate: http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/ Even crutchfield is showing how this is completely loving stupid. Thus, if you want 4K? Enjoy! http://www.crutchfield.com/S-F919Z2GGw6m/learn/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdcp-2-2.html

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there any way for the Plex server to tell clients to refresh? When my server updates its library the changes don't appear in my client (running on an Amazon Fire TV stick) unless I manually go through the settings menu there and hit the "refresh"thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've been using the Plex app on my Note 4 a lot to play via Chromecast. Without fail, the phone loses connection with the chromecast if i do anything other than keep plex in focus. When the show I'm watching is done, i open the plex app again and am greeted with "plex has stopped responding" 3 or 4 times before it works again. I can then reestablish the connection and move on to the next show. Anyone have this issue?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This is incorrect. There is no option that involves 4K content, because most 4K content is going to be requiring HDCP 2 (think how bad ultraviolet and bluray DRM was and now remember they want to do that with 4K aka terrible copy protection) and every tv that exists is basically not compatible.

So there is only one option for 4k content: 4k monitors. 4K tv's? gently caress no.

Article from July 2014 that is still accurate: http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/ Even crutchfield is showing how this is completely loving stupid. Thus, if you want 4K? Enjoy! http://www.crutchfield.com/S-F919Z2GGw6m/learn/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdcp-2-2.html

I have a HU8550 and it has both HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2.

I only meant that outside of downloading youtube clips, you have to have a smart TV to get to Netflix, Amazon, etc.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

suddenlyissoon posted:

I have a HU8550 and it has both HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2.

I only meant that outside of downloading youtube clips, you have to have a smart TV to get to Netflix, Amazon, etc.

chromecast/fire tv/whatever usually does a better than the smart tv for netflix, etc.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Medullah posted:

I've been using the Plex app on my Note 4 a lot to play via Chromecast. Without fail, the phone loses connection with the chromecast if i do anything other than keep plex in focus. When the show I'm watching is done, i open the plex app again and am greeted with "plex has stopped responding" 3 or 4 times before it works again. I can then reestablish the connection and move on to the next show. Anyone have this issue?

Yep - see it tons on my nexus 7 / droid turbo. One of the reasons I am thinking of going to a firetv or something that I can use my harmony remote with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

havenwaters posted:

chromecast/fire tv/whatever usually does a better than the smart tv for netflix, etc.

This. Smart Tvs are almost always worse than the dongles and boxes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kri kri posted:

Yep - see it tons on my nexus 7 / droid turbo. One of the reasons I am thinking of going to a firetv or something that I can use my harmony remote with.

I got a Firetv stick when they were $20 and I'm not super pumped with it. For whatever reason the audio on anything i stream from plex lags behind the video, i never have that issue with my chromecast. To be fair, i haven't played with it much.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Medullah posted:

I believe this is an issue with Android mostly. Happens to me on my Moto G as well.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

This. Smart Tvs are almost always worse than the dongles and boxes.

My TCL Roku tv does an amazing job actually. It's just most brands do a poo poo job.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

My TCL Roku tv does an amazing job actually.

It's because your TV basically has a Roku box/stick built in.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Medullah posted:

I got a Firetv stick when they were $20 and I'm not super pumped with it. For whatever reason the audio on anything i stream from plex lags behind the video, i never have that issue with my chromecast. To be fair, i haven't played with it much.

There's something wrong. Out of the box should be perfect. I have great wifi at home, works great. I have congested poo poo wifi at work and it usually works great to really well.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

havenwaters posted:

This was in reference to 4K tv's. You cannot get 4K Netflix, Amazon, etc on any external device right now. You have to use the tv's built in apps.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have plexpass and share my library with my father/mother. They use an xbox360/plex to watch my shows and movies etc, and it gets constant buffering. The xbox is hardwired, internet connection at their end and my upstream is good enough, and choosing a low resolution doesn't help. Also my server seems to be fine. It's an Intel NUC i3 with 4gb ram.

If I use something like an android m8, or a nexus player it works perfectly fine. Is the xbox just garbage ? If I ship them a chromecast will that fix things ?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

jonathan posted:

I have plexpass and share my library with my father/mother. They use an xbox360/plex to watch my shows and movies etc, and it gets constant buffering. The xbox is hardwired, internet connection at their end and my upstream is good enough, and choosing a low resolution doesn't help. Also my server seems to be fine. It's an Intel NUC i3 with 4gb ram.

If I use something like an android m8, or a nexus player it works perfectly fine. Is the xbox just garbage ? If I ship them a chromecast will that fix things ?

If you know someone else with an Xbox 360 that you trust to share your library with temporarily just to run a test then that might help you determine whether or not the 360 is the bottleneck.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
If I'm looking at either the Fire Stick or the Fire TV, is there a massive reason to prefer the Fire TV if I'm going to be mainly just doing Netflix, Amazon Instant, and streaming Plex from my desktop server? Is the processing power that different?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

If I'm looking at either the Fire Stick or the Fire TV, is there a massive reason to prefer the Fire TV if I'm going to be mainly just doing Netflix, Amazon Instant, and streaming Plex from my desktop server? Is the processing power that different?

Hard line vs wireless solves a lot of issues with high bit rate streams.

This answer varies due to your media/wireless type/range

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

Hard line vs wireless solves a lot of issues with high bit rate streams.

This answer varies due to your media/wireless type/range

My desktop is hardlined into my router. Can the Fire TV have a hard line too? If so that might be enough of a reason to sell me on it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's what his post means, yes.

I don't know what you're expecting though. It's a solid, powerful box to run android plex client on. It comes with a remote. If that's what you want, and I'm not sure what else there is for a plex setup, it's here.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

That's what his post means, yes.

I don't know what you're expecting though. It's a solid, powerful box to run android plex client on. It comes with a remote. If that's what you want, and I'm not sure what else there is for a plex setup, it's here.

I just didn't understand what made the Fire TV so much more expensive than the stick is all.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Chin Strap posted:

I just didn't understand what made the Fire TV so much more expensive than the stick is all.

Uh, specs?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

The stick has a slower CPU, half the ram and no wired connection. Interface navigation is noticeably slower with the stick.

http://www.geek.com/android/amazon-fire-tv-vs-amazon-fire-stick-whats-the-difference-1607870/

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I'm playing most of my content over DLNA to a Sony TV. I've noticed several movies will now show up in the DLNA list. Is there a simple way to figure out why it won't show up? I have a feeling it is some encoding it can't handle or something.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Boner Wad posted:

I'm playing most of my content over DLNA to a Sony TV. I've noticed several movies will now show up in the DLNA list. Is there a simple way to figure out why it won't show up? I have a feeling it is some encoding it can't handle or something.

I'm pretty sure using DLNA doesn't transcode, so it'll only play videos that the TV can natively play.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, I need some help because this is pissing me off.

I'm trying to get my TV shows set up in Plex, and for some reason I can't get it to understand how Justice League or Firefly should be named or ordered. It's overriding the Firefly file info and I have no loving idea what it's trying to do with Justice League. How do I keep Plex from loving with these files?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm trying to get my TV shows set up in Plex, and for some reason I can't get it to understand how Justice League or Firefly should be named or ordered. It's overriding the Firefly file info and I have no loving idea what it's trying to do with Justice League. How do I keep Plex from loving with these files?

How are you naming your files?

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I struggled with this too! Try going to thetvdb.com and searching for your show, trying to match what they do. Justice League (1967) and Justice League of America are two different shows, so maybe it's confused?

What's worked for me is the following structure: /<TV Show Title>/Season 1/S01E01 - <EpisodeTitle> etc.

Edit: So /Firefly/Season 1/S01E03 - The Train Job.avi would be an example. You also have to label TV Show specials as part of Season 0, matching the way thetvdb organizes them.

Ming the Merciless fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 21, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah any of the shows that it's not quite finding right for me have gotten corrected quick by following the /TV Show Title (Year)/Season X/Episode name, usually Showname.101 or Showname.s1e01. The new Flash show was picked up as the old Flash show until I added (2014) to the title of the show.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

teagone posted:

How are you naming your files?
I'm using the Plex naming conventions, but I think the way the files are set up are confusing the system because the multi-episode stories are combined into single videos. I'll try re-ripping them and see if the one-episode-per-file thing helps.

What's a good, free program for ripping a TV show?

Ming the Merciless posted:

Edit: So /Firefly/Season 1/S01E03 - The Train Job.avi would be an example. You also have to label TV Show specials as part of Season 0, matching the way thetvdb organizes them.

Funny thing about that: I did have everything named correctly, but Plex keeps pulling information from TheTVDB and overwriting the filename info and it keeps trying to put things in broadcast order, not DVD order. I ended up just telling it to ignore the metadata for the show and entered the info by hand.

e: nevermind, I do have the file in the right format, it just seems like TVDB considers JL and JLU one series, so things get confused because Plex can't seem to tell if there are three seasons or five. :psyduck:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 21, 2015

Senturion
Jul 29, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm using the Plex naming conventions, but I think the way the files are set up are confusing the system because the multi-episode stories are combined into single videos. I'll try re-ripping them and see if the one-episode-per-file thing helps.

What's a good, free program for ripping a TV show?
Personally I like Handbrake (0.9.9.5530, think the newer versions were giving me issues), haven't really looked into too many others.

MakeMKV is also useful if you're unable to rip something with handbrake.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Senturion posted:

Personally I like Handbrake (0.9.9.5530, think the newer versions were giving me issues), haven't really looked into too many others.

MakeMKV is also useful if you're unable to rip something with handbrake.

Roku getting a new UI

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/02/24/brand-new-plex-app-platform-people/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I guess that explains why Rarflix hasn't been updated in a while.

I'd like to try the new Roku interface, but it says the Plex server on my Synology is out of date. I don't see an update on the Synology Package Manager, and there's no button to check for an update inside the Plex server interface. I downloaded the newest server package directly from Plex, then tried to install it from the PackageManager, but that failed. Any ideas?

edit: It seems that I have to update the Synology from DSM 4 to 5 to update Plex. Shoot.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 24, 2015