Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Of the four horror films from that studio (they were part of a box set when released to DVD but Hulu Plus has all of them), I liked The Living Skeleton the best. It was very Tales From the Crypt. Fiend Without a Face was pretty weird but okay until the ending when it went completely insane.

This is why you need Hulu Plus, so you can participate in discussions of obscure Japanese horror films from the sixties.

Fiend Without A Face is a British made film about invisible brain/spinal cord monsters. The four films in the Shochiku set are Living Skeleton, Goke, X From Outer Space, and Genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sir Nose posted:

Fiend Without A Face is a British made film about invisible brain/spinal cord monsters. The four films in the Shochiku set are Living Skeleton, Goke, X From Outer Space, and Genocide.

You're right. I somehow was thinking Goke was Field Without a Face.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I may be in the minority, but I think Stray Dog is his best movie.

Maybe not best for me, but top whatever. I love that movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I watched Stories We Tell tonight thanks to the Good Movie Dump in the OP. It maybe strains just a little too hard, but I thought it was mostly terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytq4VZ2Nyxg

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
So what exactly is the deal with Hola? I got it to keep up with Better Call Saul even though I have lovely cable that doesn't even give me AMC, and I see that Netflix is going to crack down on it. Any idea what this means? Is there any danger in losing my Netflix account if I keep using it?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Loki_XLII posted:

So what exactly is the deal with Hola? I got it to keep up with Better Call Saul even though I have lovely cable that doesn't even give me AMC, and I see that Netflix is going to crack down on it. Any idea what this means? Is there any danger in losing my Netflix account if I keep using it?

As far as I've heard, they're only cracking down on non-US users watching stuff on US Netflix.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Bloody smoke, Young Ones owns bones. Recommended if you're in for a more romantic, sprawling take on the post-apocalyptic film. It's like East of Eden meets Blade Runner.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
I get on a foreign film kick sometimes and several months back watched several Korean films.

I absolutely love:

Masquerade: 'In this operatic costume drama, a temperamental king conscripts an actor to replace him when he is seized by nightmares of assassination attempts.'

New World: 'A conflicted undercover cop is ordered by his possibly corrupt boss to help influence the election of a new leader of Korea's largest crime syndicate.'

New World was a lot of fun and I wish I could find more movies like it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Loki_XLII posted:

Actually, as far as I know the idea that Netflix were cracking down on VPN users was shot down by Netflix themselves and it was an unsubstantiated rumour.

(turns out literally millions of people watch netflix using VPNs and Netflix doesn't want to lose business)

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Oh new thread! I get to recommend The Man From Nowhere. It's an awesome korean movie that is bascially Taken, but not for pansies. It is seriously probably my favorite movie. Just such great fight scenes. It's dark, it's actiony, it's cool as poo poo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Leper Residue posted:

Oh new thread! I get to recommend The Man From Nowhere. It's an awesome korean movie that is bascially Taken, but not for pansies. It is seriously probably my favorite movie. Just such great fight scenes. It's dark, it's actiony, it's cool as poo poo.

Yeah this was a really cool film, slow buildup then some sweet martial arts scenes. Interesting that there were a few knife fights which were very well choreographed and not something you see a lot of in that sort of film.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Tried watching It's Such a Beautiful Day last night. Got about 5 minutes in before the fiancee had me turn it off because it was too weird and depressing. I love Hertzfeldt's past work (especially Rejected), but even I kinda didn't get it much early on. Does it get better or different?

Watched The Paw Project, a documentary about the damage declawing can do to cats of any size, how veterinarians look at declawing from a profit perspective instead of animal health perspective, and how little the public is really aware of any of this. My ex wife's cat had behavioral issues stemming from declawing (lots of arbitrary and damaging biting), so while a lot of viewers might find the sad music playing as cats struggled to walk or bit at people overwrought, or the directing very one-sided, it hit me pretty hard. It basically had me somewhere between teary mess and uplifted at various points. I'd already been against getting cats declawed, but I didn't realize some things, like how many LARGE cats like mountain lions or tigers in captivity were declawed, and how bad some of the side effects could be. I can't speak to the film's objectivity (they claim to have been rebuffed on efforts to secure interviews from pro-declawing veterinarian trade organizations), but I can say it's an issue that deserves some more public consideration as possible animal abuse hidden in plain sight.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Pander posted:

Tried watching It's Such a Beautiful Day last night. Got about 5 minutes in before the fiancee had me turn it off because it was too weird and depressing. I love Hertzfeldt's past work (especially Rejected), but even I kinda didn't get it much early on. Does it get better or different?

It just gets more weird and depressing. I didn't really get where it was going after the first five minutes, especially because I went in blind and there were hints of humor in the beginning.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Personally, I like each chapter more than the last. But it does definitely get weirder and more depressing, yeah. First time round I had the same concerns but by chapter 3 it won me over in a big, big way; it fared better on a second viewing, and now the final part is one of my absolute favourite things ever. I would really recommend putting up with it to see if the later parts click. If nothing else, it's not that long :shobon:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's Such a Beautiful Day is melancholy, but I didn't find it depressing at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pander posted:

Watched The Paw Project, a documentary about the damage declawing can do to cats of any size, how veterinarians look at declawing from a profit perspective instead of animal health perspective, and how little the public is really aware of any of this. My ex wife's cat had behavioral issues stemming from declawing (lots of arbitrary and damaging biting), so while a lot of viewers might find the sad music playing as cats struggled to walk or bit at people overwrought, or the directing very one-sided, it hit me pretty hard. It basically had me somewhere between teary mess and uplifted at various points. I'd already been against getting cats declawed, but I didn't realize some things, like how many LARGE cats like mountain lions or tigers in captivity were declawed, and how bad some of the side effects could be. I can't speak to the film's objectivity (they claim to have been rebuffed on efforts to secure interviews from pro-declawing veterinarian trade organizations), but I can say it's an issue that deserves some more public consideration as possible animal abuse hidden in plain sight.

Yeah, declawing is inhumane and completely unnecessary. Everyone thinking about getting a cat should know that. I had a declawed cat as a kid, and after meeting cats with claws as an adult, I can see now how much destructive anxiety it caused. Luckily, vets around me seem eager to educate people against it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just a standard reminder that Hannibal (Season 1) is available on on Prime Instant. Season 2 is also there but for purchase only.

It's still totally worth it as the show is fantastic and the third season is due to start airing on NBC this summer.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

On paper Hannibal sounded like some throwaway show that would surely be cancelled but it is good and very pretty to look at. Plus it has Mads who is my guy.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Pander posted:

Personally, I found it starting off with a sense of humor, then a more and more sad/depressing as it went on. It may not be the kind of thing that is for everyone, but it does get a bit more meaningful later on if that's what you were anticipating. Admittedly the first time I watched it I had to sorta force myself to keep watching, but I was so grateful that I did in hindsight.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Thwomp posted:

Just a standard reminder that Hannibal (Season 1) is available on on Prime Instant. Season 2 is also there but for purchase only.

It's still totally worth it as the show is fantastic and the third season is due to start airing on NBC this summer.

Season 2 is going up on Prime on the 28th.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's Such a Beautiful Day is melancholy, but I didn't find it depressing at all.

The ending is one of the most beautiful, transcendent finales I've ever seen in a film.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I watched all of Inside the American Mob yesterday while working from home. It's a mix of reenactment and actual footage about the history of the Italian mafia (primarily in New York) from the late '60s to the early 2000s. It focuses pretty heavily on the wars between the Five Families, Joe Pistone's infiltration of the mob undercover as Donnie Brasco, and Rudy Giuliani's case against the heads of the families in the '80s. It has interviews from all the key players on both sides of the law, and I'd definitely recommend it.

Another recommendation is Kids for Cash. Really depressing look at the famous conflict of interest case of a judge who imposed incredibly harsh sentences on juveniles in Pennsylvania for ridiculous charges while at the same time taking more than $1 million in finders fees for the construction of a for-profit detention center where all these kids were sent. Just a disgusting but unsurprising consequence of the insanity that is the private prison industry.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 18, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TrixRabbi posted:

The ending is one of the most beautiful, transcendent finales I've ever seen in a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzs5nuGNpg

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Samfucius posted:

If you are from Oregon, you should probably watch the beginning of this movie. If you went to the University of Oregon, you HAVE to watch this movie. It's amazing. They pronounce Oregon wrong, they get the campus all wonky, and best of all they get the climate craaaazy wrong. Like, snow on the ground and people are totally cool with it. For people who may not know, Eugene is a drizzly little town in a valley, which is really obvious if you look in any direction. This movie has a bizarro-Eugene that is covered in snow and is perfectly flat. It also has a huge river running right through campus. I have no idea why they decided they HAD to have the students be from the U of O, it affects the plot in no way at all except for when it makes you scratch your head. It would be like making a movie set at Harvard filmed in the midwest with all the characters mispronouncing Boston. It's weird to sperg about but I live across the street from the University and my buddy and I could not believe what we were watching. Luckily they leave the US rather quickly and stop saying Arrrgon.

Also if you know anything about the Dyatlov Pass Incident (the basis for the horror part of the movie) and how there is actually no mystery at all about what really happened, them playing up this big ol' ~mystery~ is pretty drat funny.

As I was watching the movie I kept thinking "this isn't that bad for a first-time director. I mean, it feels kind of like a real movie even if it is a little rough around the edges." Nope, it's the dude that directed Die Hard 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Another recommendation is Kids for Cash. Really depressing look at the famous conflict of interest case of a judge who imposed incredibly harsh sentences on juveniles in Pennsylvania for ridiculous charges while at the same time taking more than $1 million in finders fees for the construction of a for-profit detention center where all these kids were sent. Just a disgusting but unsurprising consequence of the insanity that is the private prison industry.

The most depressing part of that for me was when they actually interview the judge and you get the impression that he actually just had a hosed up childhood and even without the money he would have done the same thing to those kids and truly believed it would somehow help them.

e: in fact the film points out he was sentencing kids like that before the money, doesn't it?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Hannibal is easily my favorite show. Very silly in all the best ways, truly menacing stories and scenes, great cast of characters, some honest-to-goodness feminist writing that isn't impressed/self-inflated with how equitable it's being, and a super involving murder man crush between the two leads.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

precision posted:

The most depressing part of that for me was when they actually interview the judge and you get the impression that he actually just had a hosed up childhood and even without the money he would have done the same thing to those kids and truly believed it would somehow help them.

e: in fact the film points out he was sentencing kids like that before the money, doesn't it?

Yeah. He glorified an incident in his teens when he was going to joyride with friends and got punched out by his dad when a cop brought him home. And yeah, he was sending kids to juvie by default even back in '96. It was amazing watching his complete inability to acknowledge any wrongdoing, and he only cracked when he realized his grandkids would think he was a scumbag because of the infamy of the case in the public eye.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Basebf555 posted:

Since its a new thread nobody will be annoyed if I mention 13 Assassins again. If you enjoy samurai films on any level, this is a must-watch. I know its blasphemy to some, but this movie is just as good as a lot of Kurosawa's stuff in my opinion. I wouldn't say its better, just that it lives up to that legacy, which I think is what Miike was trying to do. He was trying to make his ultimate samurai masterpiece and I think he succeeded.

There are about 10 characters in this film that are amazing and extremely memorable, even if it takes a few viewings to get their names exactly right. This film has an amazing overall story, and a lot of the individual characters have great little story arcs if you pay attention. It also has a great villain who, as any great villain does, also had a very memorable right-hand guy who kicks rear end.

Most people will talk about the action scene(s), and the fact that the entire last 40 minutes or so of the film is one relentlessly grueling battle. I'm just going to leave this one clip here, if you can watch it and still don't want to see more, quit movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HwzVqcNaSU

Just watched it. Great movie, the link is not working but I think it is a good thing, you'll know it when you see it, best scene in the movie.

If you like action movies go watch this and Dredd now (Both on Netflix)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 19, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Season 2 of Bates Motel just went up, and I am loving friendzoned Nice Guy Norman Bates. I just started the season, but it's really one of the funniest shows on tv, which I was not expecting. The core cast are all amazing, and they found a way to make Norman a sweet, naive kid despite being a lunatic killer.

It's got a real Twin Peaks vibe more than anything. I hope it stays good and doesn't fall off a cliff like Twin Peaks. Joe Bob says check it out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Dead Precedents posted:

I get on a foreign film kick sometimes and several months back watched several Korean films.

Masquerade: 'In this operatic costume drama, a temperamental king conscripts an actor to replace him when he is seized by nightmares of assassination attempts.'

New World: 'A conflicted undercover cop is ordered by his possibly corrupt boss to help influence the election of a new leader of Korea's largest crime syndicate.'

Tell me more about Masquerade? I just took it off my list because I wasn't sure I wanted to sink quite that much time into a movie I really have no idea about.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Tell me more about Masquerade? I just took it off my list because I wasn't sure I wanted to sink quite that much time into a movie I really have no idea about.

Basically, it's a prince and the pauper story and the pauper character is very fun and cheeky. I was enthralled the whole time and the bodyguard guy and the councilor are fantastic characters. Seriously worth a watch.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've only seen the first episode of Danger 5, but I love it. It's like Team America meets Darkplace. There are definitely some slower parts, but there's a lot of hits too and I lost my poo poo when their boss has an eagle head.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Inspector Hound posted:

I've only seen the first episode of Danger 5, but I love it. It's like Team America meets Darkplace. There are definitely some slower parts, but there's a lot of hits too and I lost my poo poo when their boss has an eagle head.

And Chestbridge has the 'Sit-Down' gun...

outy
Aug 27, 2004

As a counterpoint to the Hannibal love, I found the series unwatchable. It was really irritating because I liked so much about it, but just couldn't get over how bad the actor playing Will Graham was.
He just overplays it so much imo, overly sincere and way too theatrical. Maybe if the rest of the show was playing it the same it could have worked, but in comparison to the subtle, nuanced performance by the excellent Mads Mikkelsen, Will just sticks out like throbbing thumb.

I made it about 5 episodes in, if someone tells me he reigns it in a bit then I might give it another shot.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

outy posted:

As a counterpoint to the Hannibal love, I found the series unwatchable. It was really irritating because I liked so much about it, but just couldn't get over how bad the actor playing Will Graham was.
He just overplays it so much imo, overly sincere and way too theatrical. Maybe if the rest of the show was playing it the same it could have worked, but in comparison to the subtle, nuanced performance by the excellent Mads Mikkelsen, Will just sticks out like throbbing thumb.

I made it about 5 episodes in, if someone tells me he reigns it in a bit then I might give it another shot.

You're saying someone who's (already unstable) mind is being reconfigured to be a serial killer's bestie is not supposed to be theatrical? If anything, the two actors work really well together because Will's spiral contrasts Hannibal's maddening control over everything.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

If that was the part that made you not like the show, then you will not like the show throughout.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Sirens is a comedy about Chicago EMTs written by Denis Leary. It feels exactly like Leary wrote it. If you want to watch a Denis Leary tv show then this is it. If you don't, don't.

I've fallen in love with this show and burned through the first season really quickly. The cast has really great chemistry with each other and everyone is just really goddamn funny. Sometimes it reminds me of a less cartoony Brooklyn 99.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hope and vaseline posted:

I've fallen in love with this show and burned through the first season really quickly. The cast has really great chemistry with each other and everyone is just really goddamn funny. Sometimes it reminds me of a less cartoony Brooklyn 99.

Well I'm glad someone liked it. I managed an episode and a half, and I hated the pilot. :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat, I was sad when Philip Seymour Hoffman died but I just watched The Master for the first time on Netflix and now its really hitting me hard. This guy was like one of the top-3 living actors we had going when he died, it loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Well I'm glad someone liked it. I managed an episode and a half, and I hated the pilot. :shrug:

The pilot isn't the greatest, and some stuff did rub me the wrong way at first (mostly how the black, gay character's entire conversational repertoire was about constantly affirming how yes, he is indeed black, and gay), but the writers quickly start playing to the strengths of the cast and by the second half of the season is already really solid. Season 2 starts off great as well.