Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Aston posted:

I think I'm going to have to house rule your game Broken Loose

waiting for the punchline....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

double nine posted:

I need advice for a board game to give to my brother and his girlfriend. Problem is, he really likes outsmarting people, but she hates being outsmarted (and as such hates games that revolve around misdirection like Resistance or Werewolf). Any ideas? I'm considering Formula D but could use more suggestions.

Worker placement games? You get the satisfaction of "outsmarting" people by building the best engine and competing for resources, but losing doesn't feel like you were outsmarted directly.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Broken Loose posted:

waiting for the punchline....

Can't see any requirement that you all put your hands together in the middle and release on "Let's Final Combination!"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I haven't actually tried the PnP version of Final Attack, BL, but reading the rules the ending does seem kind of 'off' in a way. As far as I understand, you do the final impact and after you've worked out if you are still alive or not, you do a final segment in which you just say the final attack in unison. The problem I have with this is that you have already hit the emotional high (or low) of knowing that you have win/lost. I know that technically speaking you haven't won until you say the final attack, but I doubt that players will think of it in those terms, they'll just think they have won already prior to the final attack and just feel like they are going through the motions afterwards.

Have you thought about putting the 'Final Attack' segment before resolution of the final impact (and maybe adding a substantial health penalty for getting it wrong)? Especially with the health penalty, the players will have a motive for doing the FInal Attack correctly.

EDIT: The scenario I want to avoid with the above is one in which you work out the final impact, the players high-five etc and then someone says 'oh we have to do the final bit' afterwards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The worst submarine posted:

What are the best characters in talisman 4e + expansions? My money's on martyr, she's rigged.

The Prophetess is easily the best character class. Being able to switch up your draws not only lets you avoid all of the worst adventure cards, it lets you gamble on getting better stuff if you pull yet another bag of gold. That ability would be good enough on its own but she also gets to see everyone elses spell cards (so you know to bait out counterspells before casting Timewalk) and she always has at least one spell herself. The "always has one spell" ability means you should always cast your spell every turn no matter what so you can cycle through the spells. There is only like 30 spells total in the game by casting your spell every turn (even if it would be a waste) you guarantee that you will draw the Timewalk spell eventually.

The Assassin is absurdly powerful and the best fighter. His power allows him to fight monsters/players without letting them roll a die. This means on average he has a +3 strength roll in combat, making him as theoretically strong as the Troll with his 3 starting Strength compared to the Trolls 6. Of course that is just an average, the assassin is much more dependable than the Troll (who can still lose on a bad roll). As the Assassin you will know before hand if you can kill a monster that is on the board, and any bit of certain information you can get your hands on in Talisman in precious.

Of course I personally only know the base classes from 4e. Now if you want to start talking 1st edition classes....

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 19, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Rutibex posted:

The Assassin is absurdly powerful and the best fighter. His power allows him to fight monsters/players without letting them roll a die. This means on average he has a +3 strength roll in combat, making him as theoretically strong as the Troll with his 3 starting Strength compared to the Trolls 6. Of course that is just an average, the assassin is much more dependable than the Troll (who can still lose on a bad roll). As the Assassin you will know before hand if you can kill a monster that is on the board, and any bit of certain information you can get your hands on in Talisman in precious.

Actually, he's stronger than the Troll from the outset. On a roll of 4+ he wins, on 3 he draws. Goddamn, this guy is insanely powerful, he can almost stomp on dragons right from the outset.

Too bad he doesn't get to hide in the crags for free :smug:

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Anyone had a chance to play Onward To Venus yet? The box art is quite compelling, even though I'm not a huge fan of alternate history type stuff. The description on the back seemed alright, but I'm a little gun shy of sci-fi board games because there are so many stinkers out there. I ended up buying Hawaii instead because I like Tiki-related things. Hopefully I'll have a chance to play this weekend.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Played it with 5 and it didn't really do much for me. I'm hoping to try it with just three, as it should make it a little faster and looser.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

I'm currently redoing the PnP in prep for the public release. What issues did you have?

The easier difficulties are really easy and (especially at 4-5 player counts) to the point where you might find not enough to do with large player groups without reducing the number of Events. If you're overflowing with stuff in the late game, it's time to make the game harder (or you're not resolving Burnouts when you should be).

Replied in the design thread.

Yeah, we should have tried a slightly higher difficulty. The beginning was tough but once we had some Events appear, that let us start building up EN/Will more easily. As far as I can tell we handled burnouts (you only burn out a system when it has the power icon, not for boosting in general, right?). After you combine into Final Kaiser, you don't need much Will so doing things like overcharging Megapunch for payback seemed satisfying at the time but was clearly an error.

Tekopo's post is exactly what I meant by the Final Attack itself feeling unsatisfying.

edit: do you have any tips on how to physically randomly distribute the limb systems and K-systems at the start, or sort out the Generics at the end?

rchandra fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 19, 2015

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

double nine posted:

I need advice for a board game to give to my brother and his girlfriend. Problem is, he really likes outsmarting people, but she hates being outsmarted (and as such hates games that revolve around misdirection like Resistance or Werewolf). Any ideas? I'm considering Formula D but could use more suggestions.

Sounds like you what they really need is a third player for them to gang up on in a one-versus-many game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

double nine posted:

My partner and I are very similar - I like a game where you can outmaneuver people but my partner hates being attacked and being made to feel stupid. We have enjoyed Star Realms, Patchwork and Jaipur a lot - they are all pretty random but allow for players to build up over the course of the game, so it feels like you are doing some strategic planning.

I know this thread dumps on Star Realms but it has a place as a light and super quick to set up deckbuilder for two players.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Thinking on it, next time I play Final Attack, I'm gonna try saying the attack at the end of the final Impact, instead of after. It does seem like it'll be a better climax then stop, resolve, realize I won, then win or lose based on a couple words.
Having to get everyone to coordinate for that will also make the final Impact more tense, I think. You know everything that's (unless there's a sneak attack), and you don't have to worry about any more evolutions, so it should free up the brain space.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: The scenario I want to avoid with the above is one in which you work out the final impact, the players high-five etc and then someone says 'oh we have to do the final bit' afterwards.

I had the impression that the idea was basically that you didn't HAVE to, you GET to! :v:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

bobvonunheil posted:

I know this thread dumps on Star Realms but it has a place as a light and super quick to set up deckbuilder for two players.

I like it too but I won't deny it blows rear end when you just can't get any good cards. I had a string of something like 7 losses in a row once that sucked. I guess that was to make up for the game where I whittled my deck down to a little over 5 cards and they were mostly bases.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heh. My RollFTG copy came with double components for a ton of stuff...and a tiny cloth bag that basically can't fit the 55 tiles.
#nailedit

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Heh. My RollFTG copy came with double components for a ton of stuff...and a tiny cloth bag that basically can't fit the 55 tiles.
#nailedit

It should have 2 cloth bags, a big and a small one.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

burger time posted:

It should have 2 cloth bags, a big and a small one.

Ahhh. I guess I'll toss an email at Rio Grande. Thanks.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

ChiTownEddie posted:

Ahhh. I guess I'll toss an email at Rio Grande. Thanks.

Yeah, the small one's for the dice. It's better than just spilling them all over the table like a filthy animal.

Unfortunately you do need the cloth bag to play (or something similar) because the tiles are double sided. The box lid should work in the meantime if you hold it high and draw from that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The components list for Roll only has one cloth bag for the tiles. Mine had a plastic bag for the dice, I think, so I have no idea.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

Yeah, the small one's for the dice. It's better than just spilling them all over the table like a filthy animal.

Unfortunately you do need the cloth bag to play (or something similar) because the tiles are double sided. The box lid should work in the meantime if you hold it high and draw from that.

Or, you know, any other cloth bag you have laying around.

Anyway: Either I am absolutely brilliant at Tash-Kalar, or my girlfriend is completely stupid at it. To the point that I beat her 9-0 or 9-2, which basically means that it's not fun for her and not too hot for me either. Is there any obvious thing that she might be missing and that I can't put my finger on? She's learned to focus on objectives and not on killing me, but she just can't make it happen. I am not even playing particularly agressively, I mostly let her do her own thing unless there's a good "destroy" objective out.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You should both play with the starter decks so that it's easier for her to see your possible patterns.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I recently played Tash-Kalar for the first time on Board Game Arena and I am in love. We were both learning as we played and haven't once both used the starter decks. I'm wondering if people find the game more enjoyable when both players use and know the starter decks or are we on the right path with just choosing whatever looks good at the moment?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

BonHair posted:

Or, you know, any other cloth bag you have laying around.

What, you think we're made of cloth bags over here?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bakka bakka posted:

I recently played Tash-Kalar for the first time on Board Game Arena and I am in love. We were both learning as we played and haven't once both used the starter decks. I'm wondering if people find the game more enjoyable when both players use and know the starter decks or are we on the right path with just choosing whatever looks good at the moment?

I personally enjoy the mirror match, and while I don't think it's impossible to learn by just picking whatever, I agree with Vlaada that you reach a certain level of mastery faster when you pick the starters.

That said just pick what you enjoy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The starter decks are the number one way to begin your tash-kalar journey, but honestly don't be afraid to mess around with the other decks once you have had a game or two in the mirror match. They are going to make you unlearn a lot of safe placement habits and force you to reconsider the game, which is tight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Allow me to increase the comedy of your day:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/settlers-of-catan-movie-tv-project-gail-katz-1201437121/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

are you loving kidding me

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Of all the things to make a loving movie about, loving Catan? I wonder who is going to play the sheep.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Settlers of Catan - Summer 2016

In a world, where robbers roam the countryside...

"I've got Wood...

for Sheep."

*Inception horn*

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
There is even less to go on here than Battleship

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Who's gonna play the robber

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Echophonic posted:

Settlers of Catan - Summer 2016

In a world, where robbers roam the countryside...

"I've got Wood...

for Sheep."

*Inception horn*

Two roadworkers in different colored shirts meet at an intersection, throw down their tools in a huff, and head to a nearby saloon.

*90s pop hip-hop*

Man in black looks around a little, picks up their tools, and jogs off.

*pack it up pack it in, let me begin*

This is a thing that can only work if it is 100% a bitter nerd making fun of the source material. Instead, I bet it will be some kind of weird medieval small-town drama.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

burger time posted:

*everyone gets really quiet and uncomfortable*

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fyi, there's already a novel based off of Settlers.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

burger time posted:

Someone with a British accent or Catherine Zeta Jones.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eh, it's not that difficult to see the movie: Four dudes settle with their friends on an island called Catan and build their homesteads, building first towns and later cities. We follow one guy who creates some great roads between his settlements, while some other guys keep trying to claim his territory. This will of course not have much to do with Catan gameplay, but who cares? It's a movie that could easily be about the settling of Iceland.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

burger time posted:

The Rock and Vin Diesel. Tom Hiddleston. Benedict Cumberpatch. Some character from Battlestar Galactica, someone from Firefly. Phew, done

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can't wait for the scene where the plucky heroes return to the homestead to find an entire stack of lumber missing while a cloaked figure slips out the back and pushes a cart out into the night to the tune of "Smooth Criminal".

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Also the scene where the reclusive old man hauls wagons full of wheat to the port while the main characters point out that he hasn't interacted with anyone in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The trailer should be people picking their starting area and then you can skip the movie because you know how it will turn out

but the twist is that they all gang up on the guy who picked the objectively best starting location in the trailer. that guy is played by Liam Neeson