Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I didn't expect his rivals to all pass too. I kinda expected some dirt to appear and make them ineligible. Then again he wants to split the anti sepp vote as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yeah Blatter already has his bloc of guaranteed votes from the Caribbean and Africa (seriously, do you even understand how many tiny countries those 2 consist of?!). He probably has almost 50% of the votes already, the more people run against him the more diluted their own voting blocs will be.

Sepp already has this one in the bag most likely. Someone like him wouldn't leave this to chance. If he thinks any of the other candidates pose any sort of threat, you will see some kind of dirt dug up about them like a week before the election. It is inevitable.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Actually most of the African countries are very large you racist

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Blue Star Error posted:

That's just a stereotype

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Maybe we should continue cutting up Yugoslavia into ever smaller pieces to create more UEFA friendly associations. Split Germany up again too that experiment clearly hasn't worked.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A free and independent Cornwall would solve everything imo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Blue Star Error posted:

Mercator!!

Blue Star Error posted:

Maybe we should continue cutting up Yugoslavia into ever smaller pieces to create more UEFA friendly associations. Split Germany up again too that experiment clearly hasn't worked.

Saarland national team should be reestablished.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Mercator!!

Saarland national team should be reestablished.

With the USSF's endorsement of Not Blatter coming down the other day it's the perfect time to give all 50 states their own FA's. 49 extra votes for Not Blatter? It must be done imo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crazy Ted posted:

With the USSF's endorsement of Not Blatter coming down the other day it's the perfect time to give all 50 states their own FA's. 49 extra votes for Not Blatter? It must be done imo

America is getting too close to the wc final, it must be done.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

America is getting too close to the wc final, it must be done.
Then you split Germany up into state FA's, of which there would be sixteen, and now you're up to 65 votes for Not Blatter. France has 27 official regions - give those their own FA's and you're up to 92 votes for Not Blatter.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Crazy Ted posted:

Come on, you know all those Tea Party states would flip to Blatter once they realized how much dirty money there was to be had.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Via Awful Announcing and the Sports Broadcasting thread, FIFA just gave FOX and Telemundo the rights to the 2026 World Cup with a no-bid contract. Qatar or no Qatar, that is quite curious.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Sports Illustrated is reporting that the 2022 World Cup will be held in the winter.

quote:

Multiple sources say it's a done deal that World Cup 2022 will take place in November and December of 2022 in Qatar. A FIFA task force will meet in Doha next week and make that recommendation, and the FIFA Executive Committee is set to make the decision final at its meeting in Zurich next month.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its been known for a long time, it was just a case of when it took place to avoid clashing with the winter olympics

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
So late November and early December? Is FIFA making sure to disrupt the highest number of leagues possible?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
And given how much money some of them (Especially the EPL) by 2022 will have and be making each year, they wont take it lightly. Honestly think this could well be the death of the World cup, as it could force the European FA's to break away just purely down to how much money they could end up losing.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

ukle posted:

And given how much money some of them (Especially the EPL) by 2022 will have and be making each year, they wont take it lightly. Honestly think this could well be the death of the World cup, as it could force the European FA's to break away just purely down to how much money they could end up losing.

the bubble will have burst by 2022

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

Its been known for a long time, it was just a case of when it took place to avoid clashing with the winter olympics

Maybe Doha could host the Winter Olympics as well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe Doha could host the Winter Olympics as well.

After getting the world athletic championship they're definitely after the summer Olympics lol

Hegay posted:

the bubble will have burst by 2022

lol it might not be as much money as it is now but the bubble isn't bursting, just not growing

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Qatar really wants to become the sport's center of the world for some silly reason.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kurtofan posted:

Qatar really wants to become the sport's center of the world for some silly reason.

It's not like they can attract investment or tourist dollars by having any homegrown attractions or culture.

Honestly I have a feeling that the Russian World Cup is going to be such a corrupt and unfriendly affair that the federations might feel a bit more bold about being public with their criticisms by the time that wraps up in 2018.

I hope the Australian FA follows through with their threatened lawsuit over FIFA switching the dates.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

lol if you think that civilization is gonna last until 2022

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Drogadon posted:

You Mayan idiots were wrong last time I'm not falling for this again

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
gently caress the mayans we're going old school Nostradamus with this!

And so the globe of gold shall sit in the east, but the snow shall drive it to the desert. And the corrupt one shall stir on his throne, for the seasons shall change. But in the years that mark the move, the world shall crack as an egg, for none shall see the sphere polluted by the sand.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Drogadon posted:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Blue Star Error posted:

You Mayan idiots were wrong last time I'm not falling for this again

You nerds read the calendar wrong, it's happening!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drogadon posted:

beyond earth wasn't that bad

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
The Emir has finally signed off on the new labour law, though no one knows the content of it yet:

http://www.qatarliving.com/forum/news/posts/hh-emir-qatar-approves-changes-labor-law

The business sector are supposedly 'really happy' with the proposal so it more or less guarantees that nothing fundamental will change.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Guys, the new law is MUCH better. Now the migrant workers get to carry around a photocopy of their passport.

See!? Much better.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

corpuscollossus posted:

The Emir has finally signed off on the new labour law, though no one knows the content of it yet:

http://www.qatarliving.com/forum/news/posts/hh-emir-qatar-approves-changes-labor-law

The business sector are supposedly 'really happy' with the proposal so it more or less guarantees that nothing fundamental will change.

Anything that makes the business sector happy can't be good for human rights

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm guessing FOX will be getting ready to sue the moment the decision to move the World Cup to winter becomes official. TV rights for a competition airing in Nov-Dec is going to be worth a fraction of what they paid. Hopefully other broadcasters jump on board with that lawsuit and they end up costing FIFA more than they pocketed from Qatar.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

I'm guessing FOX will be getting ready to sue the moment the decision to move the World Cup to winter becomes official. TV rights for a competition airing in Nov-Dec is going to be worth a fraction of what they paid. Hopefully other broadcasters jump on board with that lawsuit and they end up costing FIFA more than they pocketed from Qatar.

Why would the timing affect the cost to air the event?

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Why would the timing affect the cost to air the event?

He means they paid a bombload for the rights to broadcast and advertisers aren't going to pay top dollar any more because they'll be splitting their budgets for that time period between all the different sports going on at the same time.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
idiot

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

He means they paid a bombload for the rights to broadcast and advertisers aren't going to pay top dollar any more because they'll be splitting their budgets for that time period between all the different sports going on at the same time.

Exactly. November and December is smack in the middle of the college and NFL football seasons which are much, much larger draws in the US.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

It's the biggest sporting event in the world and advertisers will not be hard to come by, even in winter. Idk what else will be going on in November that year but unless it's a terrorist atrocity the world cup will probably have the most viewers.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Big Black Dick posted:

Exactly. November and December is smack in the middle of the college and NFL football seasons which are much, much larger draws in the US.

Oooh in the USA yeah well I reckon viewing figures wouldn't be that much different, I thought NFL fans hated soccer.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
But yeah an American television company's advertising revenue is definitely going to be the reason the world cup won't be held in winter in Qatar.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
Nice meltdown.... Mr Blatter!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Oooh in the USA yeah well I reckon viewing figures wouldn't be that much different, I thought NFL fans hated soccer.

This is probably a far-too-simple way of looking at it and doesn't take ad revenue into account, but Qatar is eight hours ahead of the East Coast in November/December. The only overlap with the NFL would be a cup match that begins at, say, 8 p.m./20:00 (most NFL games start at 1 p.m. ET on Sundays, and the Thursday/Monday night games won't be played at the same time as any WC match). I imagine Fox would use its Fox Sports 1 channel to air those anyway (the final, however ... well, we'll see). Never mind that this is more than seven years away and the network will evolve in any number of ways by then.

And also, what's messier for FIFA: dealing with a potential lawsuit from Fox/Telemundo or pulling out of Qatar? Math isn't difficult there.