Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

Space Ace was better. It actually had branching paths!
It's actually pretty frickin' sad that Space Ace, a thirty year old game, has more meaningful interactivity than The Order.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MinibarMatchman posted:

it also only cost a few quarters to play instead of 60 bux also don bluth owns
Wasn't it originally a full $1 and more expensive to play than any other machine of the time?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Thank you for looking out for me; a PS4 owner.

You're welcome. I understand that there are a lot of things that trigger PS4 owners, especially when it comes to video games on other platforms.

The wait for a video game on the PS4 continues as The Order turned out to be an officially exclusive movie for the PS4. I believe this is ok as PS4 owners have been used to only using the PS4 console as a bluray player for close to 2 years now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SelenicMartian posted:

Wasn't it originally a full $1 and more expensive to play than any other machine of the time?

It was 50 cents or a dollar for a while, yes. In fact I don't remember ever playing it for only a single quarter.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah it was a dollar plus a typical game lasted like 30 seconds since the QTEs were really unclear, especially if the arcade turned off the indication flashes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
More like The Ordure. Shout out to the dictionary.com word of the day, what uuuuuup!

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_y7f-yFFc8&t=361s

Mona Lisa. Hot piss. £50.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

I love a good DWI

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

PS4 owners have been used to only using the PS4 console as a bluray player for close to 2 years now.

That's not fair, I have also watched Netflix on mine, and played HD remasters and rereleases of games released on older consoles and PC.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Please don't put the letters P and C together without an advanced warning for our fellow PS4 owners. That combination triggers them greatly.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

ever since I lost that foot to diabetes I've really enjoyed having all my favorite indie games on my ps4, since hopping all the way to the computer room is a no go.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

ever since I lost that foot to diabetes I've really enjoyed having all my favorite indie games on my ps4, since hopping all the way to the computer room is a no go.

blessed be the ps4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
LOL

quote:

I’ve never liked the time=quality argument that some people seem to want to apply to games. I took a look at my Destiny profile this morning and I’ve spent about 140 hours on that game. If you don’t count World of Warcraft I think that’s probably a new record for me. It’s pretty rare that I reach the 100 hour mark in a game. In the past it has only ever happened with Pokemon Diamond and Final Fantasy tactics. I loved those games obviously but I would not say I loved them anymore than a games like Rez, Brothers or Last of Us. At no point do I ever consider the length of time I played a game to be in anyway connected with my enjoyment of it.

I can tell you that I wish Dragon Age:Inquisition had been shorter. I spent almost 50 hours on that game before I got bored and quit. I wish I could have seen that story to it’s conclusion but I just couldn’t stick it out. I still consider it a great game and one that I really enjoyed. The truth is, I wish more games clocked in at the 6-10 hour mark. I find that to be the sweet spot for my tastes but I’m not going to get upset if the vision a developer has for a title doesn’t line up exactly with my personal desires.

There are long games that suck and there are short games that can blow you away. It’s a ridiculous argument and it’s one that Polygon leverages here for the purpose of getting people riled up. Tycho explains it really well in his news post today so I won’t bother covering the same topic. What I will do is give you an alternative to their bullshit.

Just read Reddit. It’s where all these news sites get their stories so you might as well just cut out the middle man. When you see headlines like “How many people did John Wick kill? “You can beat the Order 1886 in five hours” or “Some guy solo’s Destiny’s hardest raid!” you can be sure that I already read those stories yesterday on Reddit. Not only that but I read them without the bullshit clickbait spin.

For me I actually made a big change to my bookmark bar a few weeks ago. I removed all the game news sites and replaced them with other stuff. I have quick links now to r/games, and r/gaming for general purpose game news. Then I have specific subreddits for the games I’m currently into. Right now it’s r/DestinyTheGame , r/monsterhunter , and r/hearthstone. The rest of my bookmarks now are just art sites that I like. I figure if I’m going to waste some time browsing the web it should be stuff that will inspire me or inform me rather than just piss me off. So now when I have some spare time I don’t go to Kotaku I go to Eat Sleep Draw. Instead of going to Polygon I go to Design Clever. I’ve had this new system for about a month now and I cannot tell you how much better I feel.

-Gabe out

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our Lair / Haze of the new generation. This is loving great.

halwain
May 31, 2011
http://www.p4rgaming.com/ready-at-dawn-if-the-order-1886-was-reviewed-like-a-movie-wed-be-seeing-perfect-scores/
:allears:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

im glad reddit appreciates John Wick as much as GBS does

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

"Ready At Dawn: While Making The Order: 1886, Sometimes We Forgot We Were Making a Game"

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestonJew posted:

im glad reddit appreciates John Wick as much as GBS does

are you suggesting john wick doesnt own

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
can't wait for Ready At Dawn to call all the major game review sites cyberbullies now

if you're reading this and are still contemplating buying The Order (even used for like $20), please spend your money watching John Wick instead it deserves your money much more

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

hahaha, I still think the game I got bored of and quit playing is great. I... don't... know... why, but... wait? I do this for a living? Huh.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

According to the reviews, if this was a movie, it would be a pretty lovely to average movie anyways, as the plot and dialog aren't that impressive. Seems the only thing that's above average are the graphics by themselves.

I'm loving this. I hope the devs have a mental breakdown and release another embarrassing interview post-release.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This is a satire site, if anyone isn't certain. Not that its far from the truth.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can you trade in your Order for an equal value of bangers and mash?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
edit: haha nevermind i'm a idiot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can't wait to play it, really enjoyed the other games they made.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I bet there will be used copies at my Gamestop on Monday. Can't wait to buy it, play it through, and return it all in the same day. :cool:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SelenicMartian posted:

Can you trade in your Order for an equal value of bangers and mash?

So an empty paper plate?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sorry video game journalism, you have lost me to a bastion of good opinions and well thought out posts, Reddit.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It just dawned on me that I saw a 20 minute gameplay demo of this once and it looked boring and uninspired as poo poo. Funny to think I saw a little under 1/4 of the game right there and then.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Meh, I'll still sit back and enjoy it. If what they say is true of it being graphically impressive than at least it will be fine to look at and ultimately give me a pleasurable gaming experience. I don't really have time to game much these days, so a 7 hour game play seems perfect for me.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

suddenlyissoon posted:

I honestly don't know if I remember seeing any game being torn apart as hard as Kotaku tore this one.

The kotaku review was kind of amazing really.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

precision posted:

I bet there will be used copies at my Gamestop on Monday. Can't wait to buy it, play it through, and return it all in the same day. :cool:

How dare you!
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-19-gamestop-exploiting-developers-and-consumers-says-ready-at-dawn-boss

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MrBond posted:

kotaku MCC review conclusion: GO FOR IT!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MrBond posted:

Didnt tought that you guys had jumped into the hate train. Or below it. This review was embarrasing to read.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
What are you guys going on about? According to this the game is the bee's knees.

You can't argue with this:

quote:

Literally no game has ever looked this good. It’s strange to even write that, but The Order: 1886 raises the bar so far above its contemporaries that it stands in a class by itself. Joined by a soundtrack that perfects the mood, The Order is a cinematic masterpiece. If you want to show off your PlayStation 4 to your friends, this is the title to showcase.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why would you showcase a title to ensure your friends will never buy a PS4?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

When the reviews for Watch Dogs started coming out, I disregarded them and bought the game. It was indeed as much of a piece of trash as everyone said. Therefore, this thread has saved me $60. Thank you thread.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You bought a gimmick GTA game, that shows us the kind of decisions you make.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

You bought a gimmick GTA game, that shows us the kind of decisions you make.

Hey man "Assassin's Creed + GTA + Deus Ex" sounds great on paper. Maybe Obsidian can make Watch Dogs 2. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Don't forget eurogamer's review alongside digital foundry's performance analysis. They timelapsed their first playthrough at 40x speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2BbFQEpCtw

• Locked thread