Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I like how Jack was obviously trying to get Mike to crack up with that extended "ohhhh" but Stoklasa had none of that poo poo and turned it around by loving smashing that beer bottle.

They had a cushion on the floor, I dont think the bottle was suppose to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

echopapa posted:

If you liked Jill Bearup’s discussion of her video income, you’ll like Lindsay Ellis’ video about her tax situation.

How... the gently caress... does a taxable income of $100,000... get a tax rate of loving 2%!?!? DOWN from the higher 10%?!!!? While people under that bracket are taxed 30% or MORE?!?!?

... I must be missing something, but it's too late at night for me to be delving into the tax system of a country I don't even live in.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How... the gently caress... does a taxable income of $100,000... get a tax rate of loving 2%!?!? DOWN from the higher 10%?!!!? While people under that bracket are taxed 30% or MORE?!?!?

... I must be missing something, but it's too late at night for me to be delving into the tax system of a country I don't even live in.

The short answer is that the American Tax system is hosed up.

The long answer is that the American Tax system is designed so that the more you make the easier it is to pay a lower percentage. Frequently rich rear end CEOs and mega billionaires pay a lower percentage of their income than their secretaries do.

However in the specific case of what Lindsay was talking about, you only pay Social Security taxes on income up to a certain point. It's been around 100k for the last decade. Since the Social Security tax is 12.4%(6.2% each for employer and employee, which 1099 workers pay both of) you're dropping all that off income over that level. When you add in deductions for everything like Lindsay was talking about it's possible to lower your total taxable income quite a bit.

So as a 1099 you pay Social Security tax of 12.4% only on income up to the limit, Medicare tax of 2.9% on total income, and then income tax on an amount reached after all deductions are accounted for. The income tax rate for 100k is around 30% for portion over 90ishk, 25% on the part 37ishk but below 90ishk, 15% on the part over 9ishk but under 37ishk, and 10% on the part under 9ishk.

If you deduct absolutely everything and live a life where virtually everything you have/do can at least partially be deducted you can end up paying very little in income taxes as a total percentage of your gross yearly wages. Remember that for the one year of tax returns Mitt Romney made public he only paid a total of 14%. That was for a year that he knew was going to be public and it's most likely that he went back and amended it latter so he paid less.

Whenever an American tells you that their taxes are too high they are either not rich, doing their taxes wrong, or are full of poo poo and deserve a swift kick to the balls. All the available deductions mean that most people never, ever, pay what tax rates say on paper. For instance someone making 100k would be in the 30% percent tax bracket. After deductions, almost no one making 100k actually pays 30%. The more creative your deductions the less the actual percentage you pay.

Americans also tend to refer to how much they gross owe by the highest tax bracket they are in. Thus someone making 100k would say they owe 30% even though under no circumstances would they ever actually owe 30%. We weird like that.

There's also a corollary part to this where an astonishingly high percentage of Americans don't understand how taxes actually work. They think that someone makes 100k has to pay 30% of 100k in taxes instead of 30% of 10ishk plus the various rates of the other slices of their income pie. Some people actually turn down raises or seek to not make more money so as to avoid paying more in taxes under the belief that $1 more in income would actually cost them more than $1 in taxes.

Because not only is the American Tax system hosed, so is the American Educational system. We have all but nonexistent financial education built into our schooling.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 19, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And then there's the problem where folk try to blame their lack of knowledge on taxes on school trying to "teach them useless things" like a second language, basic biology, a bit more profound history or math that isn't automatically done within one operation on a regular calculator.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 19, 2015

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

SF Debris, for whatever reason, continues his look at Kannazuki No Miko.

Pity him his burden.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: ugh I can't watch that tax video until I get home.

Miss Wallace posted:

I loved the Olsen twins growing up, but man were most of these stinkers. They are funny to revisit though, ha ha. I'm pretty sure I had a friend who was part of the fan club.

Sup Plinkett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irP1oOHc1wQ

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 19, 2015

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

SF Debris, for whatever reason, continues his look at Kannazuki No Miko.

Pity him his burden.

But why?
At least he's spacing them out so he doesn't go crazy.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

But why?

Because someone really wanted him to talk about anime boobs. That's the only reason I can fathom.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
As long as no one requests him to look at any of the weird (Sci Fifantasy and/or magical fantasy) anime Bennett looks at, I think his sanity will stay relatively the same.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Insurrectionist posted:

But why?

He doesn't want to give the money back.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I had money, I'd really love to see what he thinks of the old show Millenium.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sup Plinkett

...people find this shtick funny?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I laughed at it. More of a "What the gently caress am I watching?!" laugh, though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The TV getting progressively more hosed up always gets me; also I'm impossibly immature

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Mr. Plinkett is a terrible human being but I like his reviews.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

DoctorWhat posted:

It's more that Plinkett holds these high minded analytical opinions about Star Wars but he's literally the worst human being ever.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"gently caress the poor" is our nation's unofficial motto, that's why

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rebochan posted:

It's more that Plinkett holds these high minded analytical opinions about Star Wars but he's literally the worst human being ever.

but then people parrot those star wars opinions unironically as High Criticism so I don't think most of the fans Get The Joke.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Benny the Snake posted:

"gently caress the poor" is our nation's unofficial motto, that's why
Also there's the trickle down effect. We are just not quite there yet. If you could lower taxes for the rich just a little bit more, we will all totes profit. Promise!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

but then people parrot those star wars opinions unironically as High Criticism so I don't think most of the fans Get The Joke.

The guy just said he has highly critical opinions of the Star Wars films and his shtick is that he's a piece of garbage human. it's why people repeat the criticisms and not "but Plinkett cummed into his TV so hard it was destroyed!" when the movies are discussed. Or why they said check out the Plinkett reviews for a well thought-out opinion on the films but you might want to skip the sketches.

Tarquinn posted:

Also there's the trickle down effect. We are just not quite there yet. If you could lower taxes for the rich just a little bit more, we will all totes profit. Promise!

I don't know, man. It doesn't seem like it would work. Now if they didn't have to obey the law and whenever they got in trouble, for whatever reason, and we were required to bail them out then I think that will lead to world peace almost immediately. And perhaps a golden age of humanity.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sup Plinkett

The hell did I just watch!?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Plinkett isn't real.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Miss Wallace posted:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Yay! Time for the monthly Plinkett derail!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DoctorWhat posted:

Its his voice that makes me laugh, I just like the way Mike does the Plinkett voice

Miss Wallace posted:

A snippet from the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Mr. Plinkett video :v:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Andrew Verse posted:

Plinkett isn't real.

Sure. I bet you believe gently caress Bot 5000 isn't real either.

Tarquinn posted:

The only trickle down I ever see is when it comes to goods. IE: Only the rich could afford cell phones in the 80s but now everyone has one. When it comes to actual wealth/income though it doesn't make sense at all. Wealth is naturally going to move to those who have the highest earning/savings potential.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 19, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

I don't know, man. It doesn't seem like it would work. Now if they didn't have to obey the law and whenever they got in trouble, for whatever reason, and we were required to bail them out then I think that will lead to world peace almost immediately. And perhaps a golden age of humanity.

A Gilded Age, you say?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Mr. Plinkett is a terrible human being but I like his reviews.

Mr Plinkett is quite the conundrum, sure he's a homicidal maniac whose committed many crimes, but he does know how to tear a film apart. And he does beg the question, in a world were George Lucas could make the Star Wars Prequels, whose the real monster here? I'll let you decide.

but the answers Plinkett

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
A Basement Rapist Reviews was always a horrible idea, and it speaks well of Red Letter Media that they've abandoned it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Dear person who's about to post about how a fictional character commiting violence towards women is different from a fictional character being a rapist: I don't care

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Dear person who's about to post about how a fictional character commiting violence towards women is different from a fictional character being a rapist: I don't care

You care

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
poo poo, we summoned the Care Bears. Dammit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Help! It's the Care Bear Bunch!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A Basement Rapist Reviews was always a horrible idea, and it speaks well of Red Letter Media that they've abandoned it.

AND BAM! The derail hits its first word-for-word repost from the previous derail! It's the conversation so nice we're gonna have it twice.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Here: Some people find Plinkett hilarious. Some people find Plinkett's subject matter too dark. These people will never convince each other of anything. There, that's the Plinkett derail.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Insurrectionist posted:

But why?

Maybe he wanted a bigger share of TGWTG Channel Awesome audience, and is using this as bait?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Did Plinkett ever rape anyone?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Did Plinkett ever rape anyone?

Does his cat count?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Plinkett annoys me because his schtick gets in the way of the actual substance of his reviews. I'm watching a good and interesting critique of something and then out of nowhere I smash into a 2-minute brick of wall of skit leading to a yawning void bereft of humor and entertainment. Someday I want to go back and improve those videos by editing all the Mister Plinkett out of Mister Plinkett reviews. I think you'd get a similar improvement if you cut all the skits out of current era Nostalgia Critic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Omnicrom posted:

Plinkett annoys me because his schtick gets in the way of the actual substance of his reviews. I'm watching a good and interesting critique of something and then out of nowhere I smash into a 2-minute brick of wall of skit leading to a yawning void bereft of humor and entertainment. Someday I want to go back and improve those videos by editing all the Mister Plinkett out of Mister Plinkett reviews. I think you'd get a similar improvement if you cut all the skits out of current era Nostalgia Critic as well.

The thing is, they added the whole shtick specifically because they thought nobody would want to listen to them bitching about Star Wars for over an hour without some gimmick.

• Locked thread